Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

so angry

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

so angry

Post by bruner_james »

ok i have some problems with textures i have just lost the ablilty to make them or i just forget but i cant find any tuturials on just makin textures help me
Still lazy.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: so angry

Post by Deep_Blue »

All ya gotta do to make textures is draw them...OR-if your car is based on a real one-find a pic on the net and cut/paste the parts of the pic onto your car model. Best to find front/back/side views-you can use the side view for both sides (front fenders/doors/back quarters, etc.) Just apply them in the same direction left and right-(if you're using the same texture on both sides-just map them in the same direction-unless there's something directional-looking on one side-then you have to reverse the directional thing for the other side.)

You can use photos or drawings of absolutely anything for a car skin.

You just have to resize whatever images you use to a power of 2-i.e. 64x64, 128x64, 64x128, 32x16, 128x16, etc. You get the idea.

Any image will work-just load it up in a paint rog like PSP or Photoshop, Picture-it, or whatever you can lay hands on and resize and cut/edit from there.

Save your images in the car's Tiffrgb folder (and if you're re-skinning an existing car-don't forget to delete any Pix8 or Pix16 folders in that car's folder-C2 will make new ones from your images. If you make a skin and it still shows up as the old one-you forgot to nuke those Pix folders :wink:

Some people say PT2 has better skinning capabilities than CarEd, but it's too much of a hassle for me...

I doesn't get much easier than that :grin:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

ok all makes sence now but do you have to save it in the Tiffrgb folder are can you open the texture in a different place i know it would'nt work if you are puting it in the game but im just testing stuff still and you save it as a .tiff right
Still lazy.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

ok i have done what you told me to do but i cant get the texture to work in craed or pt2 so i saved it a tiff maybe im missin sothing
Still lazy.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. As I understand it-you want to screw around with the .tifs in another place other than the tiffrgb folder-that's cool, but they won't work in CarEd or anywhere else unless you put them in the right places.

Now-if you're just reskinning a car-NOT-REMODELING IT-just put all the tifs you wanna change someplace else-OR-copy the original ones to a safe place and leave the ones you wanna edit in the car's tiffrgb folder and change 'em to what you want to see and then just run the car in-game (after deleting the Pix8 and Pix16 folders in the car's folder), and see what they look like-take a screenshot for reference and adjust your tifs as necessary to line things up and just keep editing and running the car til it looks right.

If you are remodeling/physically changing the car and/or adding textures-THEN you need to copy the car's .obj or .dat to a folder you make in Cared-E.G.-Open/import>.obj >save.

Then you got a folder in CarEd with the name of the car you wanna change around and the .obj for the car stored inside.

Copy the whole tiffrgb folder for that car from the game and replace the tiffrgb folder that's in C:\program files\javasoft\jre\1.2\bin\carnamefolder with that one so when you open that model in CarEd-it'll show up with all it's textures.

Then you can copy out and edit any texture you want and preview it in CarEd on your model. Just make sure that when you save the new tifs-you save them in C:\program files\javasoft\jre\1.2\bin\carname\tiffrgb

That way once you've edited the tifs and are sure all is to your liking, all you have to do is reopen the same model again and it'll show up with your edited tifs on it. No need to recompile the model-just copy the edited tiffrgb folder from the CarEd directory to the car's in-game directory and the in-game car is reskinned. Then just delete the whole car folder in the CarEd directory-that is unles you plan on doing something else with it, but that's how I use CarEd to preview new skins. Make sure every .tif image you save in the Cared car's tiffrgb directory is sized by a power of 2 and is in uncompressed .tif format (No LZW compression) and has a color depth of 16 million and all should work well.

If the image only shows up as a black square in CarEd's lil' preview window-it's either in the wrong format-not a power of 2 sized or is compressed weird or has a color depth of less than 16 million colors.

CarEd's DOS box (Behind the component edit and editing views windows) will tell you usually what you did wrong-check there first to see if it says any error messages.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

my textures do show up in the box but never on the car this only happens on my textures because if tried it with others and they do work
Still lazy.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

'K, open one of your textures in a paint proggy. What's the color depth and the size and the format you're savin' 'em in? And where are you putting them to put on the car and where is the car that you're trying them out on?

Car for trying out the textures on should either be in it's own folder in the CarEd \bin directory

Folder for the new tifs should be in a folder called "Tiffrgb" in the tryout car's folder in the CarEd\bin directory

When you save an image it should be sized by a power of 2 (16x32, 64x64, 128x128, 54x128, 64x16, etc.)-it should have a 16 million color depth-it should be saved in uncompressed .tif format tryout car's folder in the CarEd \bin folder OR in the actual car's in-game <carname> folder in the "Tiffrgb" folder. Remember to delete the Pix8 and Pix16 folders first otherwise the old textures will show up in-game-C2 refers to these for the textures-C2 will make new Pix folders based on your edited images if you delete these.

Do not use LZW compression when saving new .tifs.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i just found out my paint program doesn't let you resize any texture so it is a power of 2 and my it doesn't let me even open one that are working ether i need a new program any siggestions?

Still lazy.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

You can prolly find the demo of PSP 3 out there somewhere-it's nothing like the newest one, but it's freeware and it works.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i cant find got a link?

Still lazy.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

PSP 7 demo and PSP3 shareware

The page is in German but it ain't hard to figure out.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i tried with that and it messed up my textures so i got rid of it and tried to make it work with my other witch is now working (i got help from my dad) soon i will be able to show it :smile:
Still lazy.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

ok i got my first pics of my conversion since im still a noobie this took me over a month to get this far check attachement still have to texture the engine and get rid of some stuff
Still lazy.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

and my second skin
Still lazy.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Wow what a good job! even when you didnt get everything working a few times, damn...you did a cool job there :wink: :smile: i want that car :smile:
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i have just tried the car in the game and let just say it didn't work it might be the the c2c so here

// Opponent

Nobody

Max

ford

4 // Strength rating (1-5)

500000 // Cost to buy it

all // Network availability ('eagle', or 'all')

ford.TXT // vehicle filename

//vehicle description

TOP SPEED: 150MPH

WEIGHT: 2 TONS

0-60MPH: 6.4 SECONDS

This is a test

it might be that i dont know :confused:
Still lazy.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Look into your car folder and search the txt file, if its the same as in the c2c file then there's nothing wrong with the c2c as i can tell...what error you get?
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i dont know about the error it just flashes and im out of the game no error message or nothin i have never got a message for any of my crappy cars maybe i could send it you and you could tell me the what error message is that is if you want to
Still lazy.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

ok, send me the stuff, to my mail or here on this post...if its not to big...
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Next time start the game in software (DirectDraw) mode and when it crashes it'll almost always tell you what is wrong-error messages don't happen in Hardware mode.

Make sure the name.txt you told C2 to look for matches the name of the car's text file.

If:

C2C is specifying ford.txt-make sure the car's text file is named "ford.txt" and also make sure the name of the text file at the top of the car's text file is also "ford.txt"

Make sure that hen you made your C2C file that the text editor didn't name the .c2c "ford.c2c.txt" or "ford.c2c.doc" or summat similar.

I take it the car loaded up OK with carstockalypse and shows up in the game menu, so the misnamed c2c woudn't be the problem..Try looking for other errors such as those with the car's text file-run C2 in software mode and you'll most likely get an error message when it crashes.

Let us know what it tells you unless you already understand what it means :wink:
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i have tried it in software mode and no message and im going to send it tommorrow around 3:00 i have to get of right now
Still lazy.
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

ok i just sent it tell me if you get it or if you dont :crazy:
Still lazy.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Hey DB, you are going to find this very strange maybe, but i get error messages in hardware mode :supercrazy: :grin:

Anyway James, some of your tif's are corrupted, you need to make working ones because thats the problem, and oh yeah your .obj file didnt work either...so hope this fix your problem, if not tell me what happend more...
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Heh. You're right-I do find that strange.. I guess it depends on your graphics mode and capabilities then.-Mebbe your version of the game is way different than mine?

Mostly I've heard the error messages only show up in SW mode.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Ive got the UK blood...urs offcourse is US blood?
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

which ones are corrupted and how can i tell?
Still lazy.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Almost are are shit...you need to save the tif's in the right resolution, 24bit and stuff, i dont exactly know but if you got photoshop or paint shop pro then you just have to save them as tif's and leave the stuff alone when you save them when is asked what from just press ok and done...i dunno what you have done but those files dont work with paint programs and also they dont work in C2...
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

When you save an image it should be sized by a power of 2 (16x32, 64x64, 128x128, 64x128, 64x16, etc.)-it should have a 16 million color depth-it should be saved in uncompressed .tif format
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Yeah thats it
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

How's the car doing?
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

well i haven't had much time to work on it and i cant change the tiff because it my paint program doesn't have the colour change thing
Still lazy.
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

Post by Forsaken Brolly »

what pain proggy do you have?

***paint***

bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i have vicmans photo editor
Still lazy.
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

Post by Forsaken Brolly »

you seriously need Paint Shop Pro 7 or 8, or Photoshop 7(i think thats the name of it??)

i use Paint Shop Pro 7, and just last night i learned a new way to do flames :wink:
bruner_james
The Dancing Bear

Post by bruner_james »

i tried it and i could not load my textures and it was in dutch or something so i could not understand
Still lazy.

Check who’s online