Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Post deleted by Beast

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Apex2003
Banned

Post deleted by Beast

Post by Apex2003 »

Noggieca
hit n run

Re: LOD & The Spray Shop?

Post by Noggieca »

I want my....I want my....I want my....L.O.D.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Level Of Detail. :eek:
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

hmm... level of detail... Image
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."
Deathrow
aka kyle_tdr

Post by Deathrow »

How do you think we (LOD crew) feel about this, all i can hope is that Beroc gets this sorted as quick as possiable.

Kyle
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

Heh... It seems we got stiffed.... so I guess about $150 is down the drain for LOD and RVA. Not to mention a couple of other sites we had.

I am currently looking into some other avenues. I don't think I am gonna go with Atlantic.net... That seems to be a little tooo convenient.

I am looking into some other realetively cheap sites though. Problem with LOD is bandwidth... big issue.

Don't worry though... it will be back up... just don't know how long at the moment.

(not to mention, I have to redo all the cgi and stuff for it.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

On behalf of my collegue, Lumberjack, president of TheSprayShop.net ... enterprises or something..:

Hey Beroc, seems like we've ended up in the same situation here... this whole business has been doing my head in, I'm not too sure what to believe, but I certainly don't wish to lose any money over this. Let me know how you get on...

Also, I did a quick scan, you might be interested in this: http://www.project404.org/hosting.php
random_monkey
road raged psycho

Well.. I decided to go paid web hosting. After all, you can't call up and bitch a person out if it is free.... So here is what I did....

Went to

http://www.hostsearch.com

and did searches for unlimited, high volume web services... and did a bit of research. The company I choose....

http://www.5khosting.com/

They had 10 different plans, 5 unix, 5 windows... I choose a windows platform.. cheapest one they had for $2.99 a month... or $33.00 a year with a $10 setup charge. And moved LOD's name to it for free.

The servers are on a dual OC-3 setup with major backbones in California and Chicago.

Hop over and check em out... not a bad price for the space and speed.

So within a week or so, LOD will have something on it... even if it is a smiley face... :smile:
M®. £üñ¢hßØx
WetDogx2

Post by M®. £üñ¢hßØx »

Ooh, Chicago... I like the sound of that.

Well, good luck? What does one say here?
HAHA OMG I NEVR KNO WUT 2 PUT IN THIS THINGS!!11 LOLZ!111 OMG FUXXORZ IM BAD AT HTIS
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Post by DEMENTOR »

I just visited LOD today and it's got a completely different layout! :eek:. What do people think of the new site :confused:. I think it's a very cool look.
<---- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Richard Petty Replica) at Brooklands.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
road raged psycho

Heh... the whole site will be recompiled. It will all run by ASP and java. It will be managed by databases.

Do give responses to this... as I am still in the development stage.
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Post by DEMENTOR »

Hey Beroc, that sounds as though it is going to be a big hit. For someone who has a crap computer (ME!) will it be hard to go through each page? I'm not a computer wizz so I don't know a lot.
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Post by DEMENTOR »

I see that Beroc is making changes as we speak new font some more text. Keep going Beroc. :rockon:
Deathrow
aka kyle_tdr

Post by Deathrow »

LOL, dont get too excited we are just tweaking....tuh guess whats going in the bar at the top

random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

The design is ok, but you gotta ditch the splash page, and the unresizable new-window, which totally sucks...

you don't wanna let a good design be totally let down by that.
random_monkey
road raged psycho

Heh... that is one of the things I thought about... The original setup had the spash page resize itself which screwed with the browser's preferences. I do however like the unresizable window.it will fit nicely into the scheme. I don't want it to be so unwieldy, as it previously was. Generation for content will be easier as well, with the content being sized initially for LOD's window size. That way we don't get things mixed... that was a problem before.

All in all, it should be a better, faster site. I think that more content will be generated.
Boose
turbo bastard

Post by Boose »

....lod3.net was the only page not spoiled with design :sad:
ImageImage
Beer galore!
The_Devils_Avocado
motorised death

Post by The_Devils_Avocado »

Pah, crit all you want but i'm loving it. Only thing i see is to make the blue silk ripple bar thingy loop better, make the beginning blend with the end. Difficult to do with something like that, but you'll manage it, right? :smile:
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Post by DEMENTOR »

I think it's good. Just as long as you can fit in all your stuff into the splash page so it's quicker to look through, and you don't want to make it that people have to scroll this way and that way all the time. :thumbsup:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Post by DEMENTOR »

No, I think that's just for Beroc to check on the stats of the site. But i'm not sure it could be.
road raged psycho

it is for site admins... add news and such... no, I hate having to be loged into a site to get downloads.... nothing peaves me more. And, as of yet, LOD doesnt have a news letter, so no junk email crap.
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

heh... beroc, i cant eaven recon the site anymore... thats what i call a serius makeower... as Doktor Kosmos says... Blåvita flingor!!! better ask tony what the hell im talking about (PS Doktor Kosmos is a swedish comedy singer)
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Ok, the fixed window maybe /ok/ - but it doesn't fit on my desktop, I'm running at 800*600 (I only have a 15" monitor) and it goes past the bottom of my browser.

This isn't an invitation for people to shout out their screen res's and stuff - I'm just saying.

The other thing, will people with popup blockers have any problems?
random_monkey
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

Don't you drag me into all this! :wink: I have never in my life heard of anyone called.. "Doktor Kosmos" :wink: haha.. But, Kapten Filling.. "Yeah!". If you translate that, Kruszchev, will it be "Captain Underpants" then? :grin:
-[ Growl Karaoke ]-[ Image ]-[ Abacorn ]-[ Portfolio ]-
Recent exploit: Trapped The Forces of Evil in a box.. and shaked it!
road raged psycho

heh... Sorry RM, I am going by the average, not the smallest user. I will... however, make sure that none of the real content goes below that for ya...I think there will be a close button down there. I will also put a flash link on the initial window.

My suggestion though, of course... is Get a bigger monitor... 17's are cheap now... no sense in keeping an old 15"

As far as LOD's reconstruction... I spent more then a few hours redoing the whole thing in flash. I checked the previous setup on netscape, and OS X and Mac Classic 9.0 and all of em screwed up the site. So..... The UI on it will be in flash. There will be buttons on the site to set the cookies to not load the large effect at the top for the 56k users... that wont affect the usage on the site, just a nice thing to keep going.

As someone pointed out to me... there is no longer a back button... Save pressing backspace on the keyboard... or alt <--. I don't think I am going to provide one, if I do, then it will be in the lower left hand corner, next to the close button. which, of course isnt there right now... :P
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

:tongue: tony

PS blåvita flingor meens... Bluewhite flakes (cornflakes to be more specific) :crazy: :grin:
road raged psycho

Quite a bit of work done thus far... I have successfully connected to the database on the server... Setup a few scripts to do some administrative stuff... redid the Flash stuff so it would appear correctly on Installed the first of LOD's Cookies to handle the logo at the top.... There is a small button that will change the size of the file you download... It wont be as nifty, but it will load faster for you 56k'ers.

Also had to change some formating to get it to show up correctly on a Macintosh Computer. However... Netscape 4 users are pretty screwed for it. I think that Netscape 5 or better or IE 5 or better are needed to view the site. That along with the Flash 6 plugin.

Have a look... tell me what you guys think thus far...
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

So..... The UI on it will be in flash
Oh dear...

Oh, and regarding the monitor, I'm going to be building a new box soon, so this one will be pretty much redundant, just a place to store junk/play cheap lans :wink:
random_monkey
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

looking great beroc :smile: will the splash screen be staying ?
road raged psycho

yeah, it posts directly to a cgi script that handles the cookie for the banner. So, it will stay
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

beroc... have you got the file i askt for a day ago?
road raged psycho

Heh.... imagine that I had all that done a while back.... I will upload it to ya and send you a private message.

Alot of work being done on LOD... Sadly, none of it you guys can see yet.

I got the logon scripts to work today. and setup the Admin page. Though none of the links work for it yet. Everything is going pretty much according to plan, though I really didn't want to waste so much time doing java scripts for the admin page... I learned a bit on how to handle a page that you have to have certain elements for, and how to stop the submit process if you don't... Well worth the time in my book.

Tommorrow..... time to tackle the news reading writing page... so you guys will have a good look at things to come. The Login button will be up tommorrow... (along with all the scripts that prevent illegal access, and buddy, it really searches for it)

As far as the interface goes.... I fixed a flicker in the top animating panel... that was the only problem.... I still havent figured exactly what I want for the buttons yet.... I am sure my commrads will help... (hopefully)

Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

illegal accses... like right clicking... hehe... i know how to get past sutch a thing, its so simple that im laughing when im explaining... you use the entire 2 buttons... rightclick then press ESC quickly... after a try or two it will work, and then you have the menu upp that wasnt alowed be shown

Check who’s online