Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v1.1 [17/01/2024]

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v0.9.4 - 30/01/2022

Post by STShotgun »

Shokomi wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:50 pm Is the the vanilla modversion or the experimental beta mod version better?
The experimental version is better since it fully opens up modding and allows you to play through career with mods. :smile: It also fixes the game's normal maps since they were broken in vanilla.
Shokomi wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:50 pm And also, I am having a hard time knowing how i should extract your mod files.
ZAD files are just zips so you can use any software that'll open that kind of file. :smile:
C:MD Mods: Overhaul / Car Lot
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

I realized that the beta slowed down the perforanace of the game. Can i adjust the draw distance so i can improve the fps?

And also are there any new maps to play on? I
Tryed the c1 tracks.

Thanks for your help :P
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Shokomi wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:33 pm Can i adjust the draw distance so i can improve the fps?
You can change some settings in a config to cull things like objects, peds, etc. It's located in Carmageddon Max Damage\Data_Misc\config\misc_maps.lua.

If you want to change the draw distance of the level itself then you'll have to mod a level's setup.lua (as well as the variant setup_xxx.luas) by editing the 'view.ClippingPlanes' setting (lower the second value to improve performance).
Shokomi wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:33 pm And also are there any new maps to play on? I
Tryed the c1 tracks.
Other than the C1 tracks, there's nothing else out there unfortunately. '80s Time Warp however is working on her own modular city map. :smile:
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

Thanks once again!!

Oh I see, I really like the C2 tracks, would be fun to play it on cmd because of the damage geometry which is much better on cmd.

I hope the Mod community of carmageddon cmd gets bigger :(
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v0.9.5 - 04/03/2022

Post by STShotgun »

v0.9.5 Release:

That's another update out! Enjoy~

Changelog:
► Show Spoiler
Also updated the 'Disable AI PUp gifting' and 'Restored start/end stun sounds' addons.
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

STShotgun

Can i sponser you? Please let me help you I am so grateful for what you do!

BTW, still having low fps on the beta, is it possible to run the vanilla on your mod or any other one?

OBSRV.. i am not so intersted in the multiplayer mode. But i very much the career mode.

AND, the accileration is way to fast!!!
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Shokomi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:18 pm Can i sponser you? Please let me help you I am so grateful for what you do!
I appreciate it :beer: I'm not really fussed about getting anything back but if you'd like to help then for me the main way is to spread the word about the mod :smile:
Shokomi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:18 pm BTW, still having low fps on the beta, is it possible to run the vanilla on your mod or any other one?
You can try playing it with vanilla but there's no guarantee the mod will run, it's unsupported from my end.
Shokomi wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:18 pm AND, the accileration is way to fast!!!
Well I'm quite happy with the overall speed of the game so all I can suggest is making personal edits to default_apo_vehicle.lua in the Vehicles folder. :smile:
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

I cant find the default_apo_vehicle.lua.

I can only find some setup files in the zad folder?
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Shokomi wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:26 pm I cant find the default_apo_vehicle.lua.
It's located in z_mod_ST_Overhaul_BETA_v095.zad, in the Vehicles folder
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

0.95? i have 0.94, did i get an older version? :S
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The update was released yesterday Image
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

STShotgun, i think i have to fix a faster pc. This one is to slow. So sad.

I have the game on ps4 but its crap and the modding fixes so many issues.

I just hope i can get a cheap one...

:((( *sob*
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

Shokomi wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:23 pm STShotgun, i think i have to fix a faster pc. This one is to slow. So sad.

I have the game on ps4 but its crap and the modding fixes so many issues.
-did u put all graphics on low?
-and maybe in task manager, processes, right click carma max damage ( when running) and set priority to high?
-do u lag really hard compared to non experimental carma?

And STShotgun: Thanks a lot for making this, people like u keep games like this alive. this is looking good :)
I have a feeling this might grow into something even bigger, together with this site, carma might make another modded comeback :)

My personal favorite thing would be bots in multiplayer :)
Or a multiplayer campaign :P
When the walls around you start to crumble, dont be afraid, for these walls may have imprisoned you. :yingyang:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mightymick wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:32 pm And STShotgun: Thanks a lot for making this, people like u keep games like this alive. this is looking good :)
I have a feeling this might grow into something even bigger, together with this site, carma might make another modded comeback :)
Cheers dude :beer:
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

U are welcome man, u deserve it, its great.
Love playing it, I already changed a bit in vehicles and I love the ability to change things myself.

What I really would want is support for internet play? with local area network if thats the only way.
I tried it with offline mode even, but it all crashes.

Would be great if somehow there would be a way to fix it!
When the walls around you start to crumble, dont be afraid, for these walls may have imprisoned you. :yingyang:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mightymick wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:34 pm What I really would want is support for internet play? with local area network if thats the only way.

Well multiplayer is always gonna be unsupported for the Overhaul mod but it might work with some changes you'll have to do manually, which involves going into the setup.lua for every car and setting the car:SetClutchDelay to car:SetClutchDelay(0), since it seems enabling this feature in multiplayer causes problems for some reason. Other than that, I'm not sure what'll improve stability since there are so many variables. :crazy:
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

Continuing the HUGE appreciation for the work you're putting into this!

1: Addressing a comment I made some time back about different cars being selected to what I was choosing in freeplay mode, I had left a randomised selection on - i.e me being stupid, ignore that... :crazy:

2: In one of the changelogs where you remove the effectiveness of opponent vehicles with wheel spikes - was this supposed to affect the player's vehicle as well? If so, did you have the file you to reverse this to make them work as per vanilla?
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mutecoat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:29 pm Continuing the HUGE appreciation for the work you're putting into this!
Cheers :beer:
mutecoat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:29 pm 2: In one of the changelogs where you remove the effectiveness of opponent vehicles with wheel spikes - was this supposed to affect the player's vehicle as well? If so, did you have the file you to reverse this to make them work as per vanilla?
Do you mean the option to have wheel spikes act as weapons in general, or do you mean the actual weapon damage is too low?
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

To have the wheels weaponised at all (I vaguely remember you mentioning in a previous changelog that there was an option to download a file that reversed this, but I couldn't find it at the time)
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mutecoat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:46 pm To have the wheels weaponised at all (I vaguely remember you mentioning in a previous changelog that there was an option to download a file that reversed this, but I couldn't find it at the time)
Ah, well it wasn't a download, instead I included the option in the game :smile: so the ones marked with [simple] are meant for the AI so they act like standard wheels, and the ones marked with [weaponised] are the proper wheel spikes that can shred. :smile:

The overall weapon damage is less extreme than in vanilla however, which I prefer since you really need to push the spikes against enemy wheels to damage them, whereas in vanilla all you had to do is make them tap the wheel spike and most of the car was ripped apart :lol:

Side note since the pic shows it in the version display, there's indeed a new update coming soon :smile: Hopefully sometime next week
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

Ahh I had no idea - thanks for pointing that out! All working, really like the damage tweaking for weaponised wheels, feels way more satisfying when you do manage to line up a good hit. Looking forward to 0.9.6 :thumbsup:

Only half-joking: This mod needs to be in the game's Pcgamingwiki under Essential Improvements... Seen that before for some games where you're pointed to a mod where the consensus is that it objectively makes it a better game than it ever was originally
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

mutecoat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:43 amThis mod needs to be in the game's Pcgamingwiki under Essential Improvements...
100% agree. Image
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Shokomi
pedestrian

Post by Shokomi »

STShotgun wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:54 pm
mutecoat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:46 pm To have the wheels weaponised at all (I vaguely remember you mentioning in a previous changelog that there was an option to download a file that reversed this, but I couldn't find it at the time)
Ah, well it wasn't a download, instead I included the option in the game :smile: so the ones marked with [simple] are meant for the AI so they act like standard wheels, and the ones marked with [weaponised] are the proper wheel spikes that can shred. :smile:

The overall weapon damage is less extreme than in vanilla however, which I prefer since you really need to push the spikes against enemy wheels to damage them, whereas in vanilla all you had to do is make them tap the wheel spike and most of the car was ripped apart :lol:

Side note since the pic shows it in the version display, there's indeed a new update coming soon :smile: Hopefully sometime next week
This i was wondering about as well.

I have bought a better pc now so i am back in business haha!! Mostly so i could play the Final Fantasy VII DLC but also for Carmageddon hoho :P
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

STShotgun wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:04 pm
mightymick wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:34 pm What I really would want is support for internet play? with local area network if thats the only way.

Well multiplayer is always gonna be unsupported for the Overhaul mod but it might work with some changes you'll have to do manually, which involves going into the setup.lua for every car and setting the car:SetClutchDelay to car:SetClutchDelay(0), since it seems enabling this feature in multiplayer causes problems for some reason. Other than that, I'm not sure what'll improve stability since there are so many variables. :crazy:
Thanks a lot dude, amazing that u know all this stuff. this clutchdelay, if I set it too zero, what does it do?
Is that the default of the game?
What does it do when the (0) is gone and its your settings?

Im gonna tinker some later to see if I can get it to work with friends :banana:

And I share my knowledge to everyone who wants to hear of carmageddon and the fact that we now have this mod that actually enhances the carmageddon experience.
U deserve the fame at least! having so much fun with your mod compared to normal its outrageous.
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mightymick wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:03 am Thanks a lot dude, amazing that u know all this stuff. this clutchdelay, if I set it too zero, what does it do?
Is that the default of the game?
What does it do when the (0) is gone and its your settings?
Thanks :smile: In vanilla the Clutch Delay is set to 0 for every car. All this setting does is basically smooth out your gear changes so the RPM doesn't instantly jump, which sounds a lot better than having it set at zero. It seems to work fine in single player, but in my experience having this setting enabled causes desyncs to happen in multiplayer for some reason, which (if this is actually the culprit) is why Stainless didn't use it for the vanilla game.

EDIT: Just remembered, I also use the SetClutchDelay setting for the Shitboxed powerup, so it's worth disabling that setting too if you're making changes for MP.
mightymick wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:03 am Im gonna tinker some later to see if I can get it to work with friends :banana:

And I share my knowledge to everyone who wants to hear of carmageddon and the fact that we now have this mod that actually enhances the carmageddon experience.
U deserve the fame at least! having so much fun with your mod compared to normal its outrageous.
Cheers dude, makes me glad to hear :beer:
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

Oh man, thanks a lot u mastermind, gonna change that one too :)

Maybe later on there will be issues on multiplayer, that u might know how to fix when I address them.
This way maybe creating a stable multiplayer :D

EDIT: Where can I change the clutchdelay of shitboxed? I only found 1 xml file that had that setting shitboxed.xml I think.
Is that the one I need?:)

For the rest, I managed to play a game with a friend ! online and it worked :saston:

I found some things u might know how to fix or change?:

-What I found out was that I cant choose game modes, its automatically death race, and when I want to choose its all
blank, in freeplay however I can see all game modes.

- All powerups are available, so also the ones that change peds, whilst there are no peds.

Those are for now the only things that I found were not right, for the rest everything seemed to be working!
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mightymick wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:43 pmEDIT: Where can I change the clutchdelay of shitboxed? I only found 1 xml file that had that setting shitboxed.xml I think.
Is that the one I need?:)
Yup, just remove the setting and it should be fine :smile:
mightymick wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:43 pm -What I found out was that I cant choose game modes, its automatically death race, and when I want to choose its all
blank, in freeplay however I can see all game modes.
This is because the new modes don't have 'multiplayer' copies in the mod. The game auto-checks for [game mode name]_multiplayer.lua, and if one isn't there then it breaks. Just tested it and it works so I'll link the zad you can use. :smile:
mightymick wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:43 pm - All powerups are available, so also the ones that change peds, whilst there are no peds.
This is because I cut the MP section down in general_data.lua (located in the Powerups folder, it's what the game uses to replace PUps in certain modes) since it felt like bloat considering MP won't be supported from my end.

What you can do is open scripts.zad, go into the vanilla general_data.lua, copy its multiplayer section and replace the MP section at the bottom of the file in your MP Overhaul version, and add any new ped PUps the Overhaul has. :smile:

At this point I should mention that on the side I occasionally work on an MP-focussed mod for the Carma Boys MP discord group, which takes many things from the Overhaul, but overall plays a bit differently (somewhere between vanilla and Overhaul - the car-on-car combat isn't as good since the damage system works differently in MP). I'll leave a link here if you wanna try it. (also an MP mod addon just for the level settings)
Last edited by STShotgun on Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

Thanks a lot! :smile: I am not good at making nice forum posts, I cant quote really good, so just gonna answer like this for now.

U are the man! hahah, so happy with ur help man.

- I am gonna test the game modes thing, really excited :) thanks for making that.

- Ah thats a good one, about the powerups, I already found some sections with multiplayer but didnt see anything there, but didnt think about the normal game files that do have them :lol:

- Cool! curious about your multiplayer version, do u maybe have a changelog or features list?:D what are the big differences with the normal mod?

- I found that the damage in MP was pretty alright already with your mod installed, at least different then vanilla, might be that speed also is a factor here.
Why does damage work different in multiplayer? what way is it noticable in your mod? like way easier destruction in multiplayer compared to singleplayer? or other way around?

Man I am gonna tinker some today haha, cant believe u made it possible for me to play carma with friends the way I want, only good words for u ! :cool:

EDIT:So thanks to your file my gamemodes do now work :grin:, I am gonna test it later with friends to see if the PuPs work now. :banana:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mightymick wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 am - Cool! curious about your multiplayer version, do u maybe have a changelog or features list?:D what are the big differences with the normal mod?
Sure, I'll copy over the main changelog from the group :smile:
► Show Spoiler
Admittedly there's a lot more than just these changes, I stopped updating it after a while :lol:
mightymick wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 am Why does damage work different in multiplayer? what way is it noticable in your mod? like way easier destruction in multiplayer compared to singleplayer? or other way around?
It's hard to explain what specifically is going on but it does feel like it's more difficult to destroy cars through ramming than in single player, so PUps tend to be the main way of wrecking cars despite my best efforts to make ramming worth doing. I'm guessing it's because the damage system is simplified in some way for multiplayer.
mightymick wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:25 am Man I am gonna tinker some today haha, cant believe u made it possible for me to play carma with friends the way I want, only good words for u ! :cool:

EDIT:So thanks to your file my gamemodes do now work :grin:, I am gonna test it later with friends to see if the PuPs work now. :banana:
Cheers, glad to hear :beer:
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

Thanks, thats looking good :tongue: , and yeh I know how it goes, all that tinkering haha, so many small changes.

The damage thats simplified for multiplayer, I noticed some settings that might be the cause of this?

I found a file: game_balancing.lua in your mods scripts folder.
It had settings like damage_human_to_world SP and MP, they were different, same with damage_human_to_human under vehicle factors.
They might be the cause? or at the beginning of the file, there is: MP_APO, and MP_APO_limits, with settings that say how much armour/offensive/power everyone has?

and cheers back for your dedication! :beer: from me and my friends/brothers
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

mightymick wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:17 pm The damage thats simplified for multiplayer, I noticed some settings that might be the cause of this?

It had settings like damage_human_to_world SP and MP, they were different, same with damage_human_to_human under vehicle factors.
They might be the cause? or at the beginning of the file, there is: MP_APO, and MP_APO_limits, with settings that say how much armour/offensive/power everyone has?
Yeah the MP settings aren't balanced in the Overhaul since I stopped tweaking them ages ago, but the settings in the MP mod are pretty consistent however. :smile: I've also cranked the offensive damage way up in the MP mod too but it still doesn't really capture the Carma feeling for me (even when I tried Overhaul car balancing in it). :crazy: At this point I've pretty much given up on trying to rework the car combat for MP and just say it is what it is
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

STShotgun wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:10 pm
mightymick wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:17 pm The damage thats simplified for multiplayer, I noticed some settings that might be the cause of this?

Yeah the MP settings aren't balanced in the Overhaul since I stopped tweaking them ages ago, but the settings in the MP mod are pretty consistent however. :smile: I've also cranked the offensive damage way up in the MP mod too but it still doesn't really capture the Carma feeling for me (even when I tried Overhaul car balancing in it). :crazy: At this point I've pretty much given up on trying to rework the car combat for MP and just say it is what it is
Yeh I saw all the parameters and things u can change for damage, its mind boggling haha.
So many things to think about.

I am gonna tinker some more, and see what I like, and then check your MP mod to see how that feels, and then compare.
Will probably learn a lot from it! :cool:

Yeh thats probably for the best then, so u can focus on other things, maybe someday suddenly u know the answer to realistic damage in MP :grin: or the community will expand more and give us other solutions through testing and sharing.
Looking forward to it all, so glad with these tools.
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul v0.9.6 - 29/03/2022

Post by STShotgun »

v0.9.6 Release:

Welp, that's v0.9.6 out! It's probably the most experimental one yet, so *hopefully* the stuff in it won't break. Assuming that it doesn't, hope you guys enjoy the update! :smile:

Changelog:
► Show Spoiler
mightymick
pedestrian

Post by mightymick »

STShotgun wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:01 pm Welp, that's v0.9.6 out! It's probably the most experimental one yet, so *hopefully* the stuff in it won't break. Assuming that it doesn't, hope you guys enjoy the update! :smile:
Awesome! good changes also, like the AI getting power gifting haha.
and the slight damage boost in car crusher events for lighter cars.

What is freeplay companion :O, a teammate?

Gratz with the release of your next version ! :banana:
STShotgun
turbo bastard

Post by STShotgun »

Cheers :beer:
mightymick wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:00 pm What is freeplay companion :O, a teammate?
It's the addon meant to improve the Freeplay mode a bit :smile:
STShotgun wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:03 pm Freeplay Companion: [Updated 29/03/2022]
This is an addon meant for when you've completed career and want to go into Freeplay.

What this does is:
  • Randomise the level settings.
  • Sets the Suppressor and The Oppressor as the main cop cars, with the APC being the 3rd if present.
  • Allows the cops to be manually selected as opponents.
Download

Check who’s online