Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

Post by Deep_Blue »

Oh HELLZ yeah.

Nice work, fellas!

:grin:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

"Welcome!
Meet the CWA Board Team and discover the best solutions for your problems."

CWA, Experts in blowing shit up since 1998!

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

:rofl: @Tosh!

Hey Coffey. I like whatcha did to the north pinnacle.

Found a good use for it.
North pinnacle jump
North pinnacle jump
North pinnacle.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 7060 times
Somebody earlier in the thread asked for jumps. There's plenty and we got 'em covered nicely.
Almost every non-flat terrain element can be used as a jump. Just for shits 'n giggles, I jumped the Mundi Mundi mountain range at full throttle. Flew almost halfway to Stephen's Creek crossing before landing on ma roof.
:grin: Ya, there's jumps.

Now I see what ya mean by not wanting to spoil the desert horizon to the south. I made it a good ways south of the airport (heading toward Menindee Rd.) and while *I* abruptly stopped, my car unfortunately kept going somewhere. (I managed to stop it in a straight line and reverse it back to where I was. Good boundary trick. (or did the game do that?)

I purposely went flying off the edge of the map in a couple places (on your floating roads) and auto-recovered nicely. No need to make physical barriers atall. Just like ya said.

I can hardly wait til ya got th terrain in between 'em built out.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hmm, your car running off without you is because the east boundary can't go past -I thought 1300 on X axis. I'll have to slide everything over to the west more next time.

Speaking of jumps, along those long straightways an occasional pile of dirt to act as a ramp? An abandoned car carrier with it's ramps down?

There's some fun settings for this explosive force.

There's the velocity and speed (which I increased even more). And there's a scaling factor to the explosion animations for big fireballs.

For Science
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

YES! HOLY McCRAP! haha!
For science! :grin:

I LIKE it!
Madmax.com article on the refinery explosion said it was freakin' huge. I watched the interview with Emil Minty (feral kid) about it.

On another note, I cranked the YON up to 1000 so I could see things far away more 'naturally.'
Much better. Now I can see stuff popping up small in the distance and react to it at higher speeds. I wanted to be able to jump on another road and run parallel to another vehicle on a naighboring road and be able to see it, such as at the V-intersections near the pinnacles.

I like the car carrier with it's ramps down idea. I'm thinking a stripped out and burned car hauler truck blocking one of the four lanes on the Barrier highway or off to the side of a road aimed so the ramp puts you back ON the road or something
(a la Demolition Racer's "death from above").
..... Something like that. There's already one jump I half-assed made at the end of the lowest road I made down southwest of the Pinnacles. I don't like it. I'd rather it just connected with the other road or-maybe ya could put the car carrier there as a jump instead of that hokey POS I put there. Whaddya think? Highway or replace the hokey jump?.

BTW- I like the idea ya had about Jebediah's plane and the hangar. I see ya were already thinking of that.
Nice touch! :grin:
Jeb's planes and stuff.jpg
Jeb's planes and stuff.jpg (45.95 KiB) Viewed 7054 times
I actually drove the easternmost northern route (floating road) from Broken Hill up around to the northwest corner-that's a nice road. Averaged about 200MPH and stayed in control mostly.

That point where my car took off without me is on the Menindee Rd. southeast of the airport. I turned th camera around at at 1000 YON I could see the fortress city wall and airport (small in the distance)
There's still lots of textured terrain off to the southeast as far as the eye can see.
DUDE! WHERE'S MY CAR!!???
DUDE! WHERE'S MY CAR!!???
Yoink!.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 7054 times
I know you're planning on making this section of road a fenced dead-end. Possibly everything needs to be slid northwest a bit? Jeebus! Are we at the game's limits??? :lol:
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Glad to hear it worked. :)

With huge explosions, you may also want to experiment with multiple 'noncar blast waves', if you have a lot of debris nearby at varying distances. After all, it may look a bit strange if objects 100 yards away are blown up as high as objects right next to the explosion. It's not absolutely crucial, but it would help making the explosions even more convincing, I think.

Simply create a second, third, or even more noncar blast waves, adjusting the radii, delays, and the force related values. :)

Speaking of explosions... for those interested, MuscleCarFreak's improved explosion graphics are still hosted where he put them years ago.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

C2S: Ok, I'll try multiple noncar blasts. I agree it'd be more realistic.
Note: I do have the side effect setting of the other explosions. Each explosion moves noncars, so maybe the multiple blast might be uneccessary.

D_B: I made the wrecked 747 from MM3 separately so I can paste it on any flat spot.
Not sure where to put it. Maybe southwest desert, just visible from road?

Jebediah's plane fits in his hangar nicely
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

THAT....is freakin' excellent!

I was hoping ya'd do that. Yeah, I'd go with southwest desert aways off a road. That sounds good. Are you planning to keep the south/southwest areas arid? (sandier/dune-y the further southwest ya go?)

Ya want me to make a car carrier jump for somewheres?

Oh ya...Found a hole in the existing map on the road- northwest corner of the city right at the creekbed. Musta been one I left from the CarEd construction... it was a bizzatch getting stuff to line up there with the lighting in CarEd or it may be reversed faces. Dunno if ya saw it.
Holey holes...
Holey holes...
Yikes.jpg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah southwest real arid. Yes can you make the carrier.
Yeah there's funky places Everywhere where edges don't meet. I try to fix them as I come across them.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Check, check, and okeyfine.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

That gap in the screenie is near one of the places where the road crosses the dry creek bed. Here and in some places road is flush with creek bed. Is that what you want? I noticed others are raised. As a matter of fact, on the southern-most bridge I lowered the bed some and cut a hole through the 'concrete' retaining wall so you could drive under the bridge.

I do want to make it so you can drive along the creek bed, so maybe a combination of bridges to drive under and some with jumps for shallower places? Or is it just flush in some place?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Except for where you cut through the concrete wall-all the creekbed crossings are supposed to be level with the roads. (as if the creeks flow across the roads when it rains) The banks were supposed to flare wide at the road crossings because I wanted them to be used as alternate roadways also.

I left the banks raised where they met the roads with little angles on the ends-but I like how you`'ve flattened them better than the way I did it. They're just as visible at speed and better looking that way. I was just going to put a culvert pipe through that concrete wall, but you` idea works better-it makes the whole creekbed navigable. I'd rather not bugger up the terrain with bridges as there really aren't any IRL (Not even on the highway-But you did that one so good- I like that one.)

Maybe on the north end of the map near the mountains there could be another creekbed with an over/under as it's going to be somewhat mountainous as you said earlier, and it's outside of the area I did-which aside from a little artistic license-I tried to keep fairly accurate. I wanted to feel like I was there in the movie set. In that area-even though you are playing Carmageddon- you ARE Max or Wez or Humungus or whoever in Mad Max II The Road Warrior. (With some Ruin-Nation off to the east, of course. That just HAD to be there.) :grin:

I'm just glad ya got my effort ingame..I been waiting a long time to see that..

The areas that you are filling in are entirely up to your discretion. You're good at this stuff. Those are strictly your baby. :grin: Go nuts! :tongue: I can't wait to see what ya dream up.

All I ask is that ya bury that 747 in the desert near a road off to the south. :thumbsup:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, I see what you're looking for with the creek bed.
I went a little overboard with the space under the bridge so I raised the bed back up by half. There should still be enough room for a big vehicle but there's not such a deep trench anymore.

I should have sometime this weekend to make some good headway filling in the missing areas.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Sounds good, man! Can't wait to see what ya come up with.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Quick picture update

One for the road.

Creek bed

I did start filling in east end of map. This is the road that loops north to connect the west.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice! (Heading back to work in 5 mins).. AAAAA!!

You're keeping the creekbeds a bit lower than the terrain, right? (Just making sure I understand you right). I made them first, then added the terrain so they'd look right. The only places they should be level with the roads is at the road crossings.

I THOUGHT I saw some shops at the airport. Those look good. "point of no return" Heh. :grin:

Nice northern route. Those trees worked out goodly I take it?

Is that the dirt road near Stephen's Creek Crossing? (Where the static gyro goes in the creekbed just off the road to the north.)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

The only place I changed the height of the creek bed was under the bridge. But the beds are pretty shallow overall, but are lower than rest of map.

There's a row of polys running parallel to the creek that I put the gravel texture on. That's why it looks so wide. I can put the terrain texture instead and just have the gravel down in the bed. But just so this map is organic and true to nature, there could be places where during rainy season the bed overflows and washes out the sides. Most likely at a road crossing.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Creekbed depth is good and I'm not gonna nit-pick. Actually I'm getting used to them the way they are and it's not such a big deal. No sense in doing a bunch of extra work to change such a small detail. I didn't realize that the banks were that wide at ground level-(CarEd perspective from 1000 feet and all). They looked narrower and more V-shaped. They look OK and they work like banked roads. Best to leave them as they are. The real creeks are shallow anyway.
I just noticed that extra water at the end of the creek coming out of the reservoir-Nice! Surprised the crap outta me when I hit it at speed. :lol:

No canna wait to see what ya fill in the new areas with.

:grin:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya, I figured I'd add a little more water to splash thru. The thing is you need to have it deep enough for the splash animation to kick in. I wanted to just have 'puddles' but unless the water is up to the floorboards (bottom of BBox?) you don't get the full effect.

I've added more trees to the northeast end of map so it's a little more lush to contrast with the arid southwest (yet to be created)

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey! That looks really good. Like damn near real.

(flashed back to a picture of the highway leading out of Broken Hill on Google Earth.)
Most of the roads that aren't out in the really arid parts look exactly like that fo realz.
Nice! I like it.

Got a burned out car hauler truck built. Can't for the life of me figure out why the upper ramps are 'ghosting' so ya can see the other parts of the truck through 'em.
They're just alpha channeled textures. I dunno enough about PSP to hazard a guess why it looks like that-or maybe it's just the way it looks in CarEd? The transparency seems buggered...sometimes....
Mebbe you'll have better luck.

Anyway I'm assuming this one'll get parked as a rock solid part of the map somewheres as it's a stationary jump so I didn't bother to model a bottom for the truck's cab or waste a lotta time on details..
burned out car hauler ramp
burned out car hauler ramp
jumpramp.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 6920 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha cool. The trees look really good at ground level..and the more you put the better they look.

Car carrier is great. That's CarEd that is acting up. It has trouble showing overlapping alpha channeled in the correct order. Don't worry about it. Yes, it'll be a rock solid part of the map. Send it my way. I'll probably paste in two or three places.

This map is so huge we need to drop interesting scenic tidbits here and there. I'll probably make a few ramshackle buildings to drop in likely places. Not so much in desert but in the west and north.

I was thinking of adding a few more little areas of interest. Maybe an abandoned mine up in the mountains. Or a logging camp in the wooded area. Not sure what they would be, just throwing out ideas.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya scenic points of interest is good. A mine is good (it is a mining area). OK, thanks for the heads-up on CarEd. I suspected that.

Treelines are looking good. I notice from looking at Google Earth street view that out in the arid areas, the trees/scrub are mostly heaviest along the roads/creekbeds. I guess anywhere there's usually water/ runoff. That makes sense.

Lemme tweak the textures on the truck ramp a bit and I'll ship it off to ya.

*EDIT*

Finished.
Burned out car carrier jump
Burned out car carrier jump
Carrier.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 6907 times
Hadda darken it up a bit and fix the front wheel size so it matched the rest of them. I'll pack it up in a bit.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Car hauler sent.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Oh yeah....

Here's as far east as I can go before my car takes off without me.

Whole thing gotta slide west and north a ways like ya said.
east boundary.jpg
east boundary.jpg (49.64 KiB) Viewed 6896 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya ya I know. I'm on it already. I'll send you an update with some additions and fixes later this weekend.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK mon. :grin: Standing by.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Ramp works perfectly.

I've fixed the boundary issue. You can drive to the edge of the map in any direction.
I've driven to all four edges. I swear this map is as big as the state of Rhode Island.

Let me do some more work on it tomorrow and I'll send you something end of day.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

This map is looking so damn fun! Great work, you two.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

:shock:

That ramp looks way better ingame than it did in CarEd. (but then everything looks better that way).

Nice!

Yes. Tis a big, honkin' place. I like it that way. :rockon:

When ya get a chance could ya send me the updated version so I can see what the southeast part looks like and check this stuff out?

@Razor: I just made the initial landmass-Coffey's makin' it what it is now.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thanks Razor, it will be a lot of fun.

@D_B: ok I knew sooner or later I would hit a snag. I went and pasted a bunch more tree 'rings' and and individual bushes all over the place now it seems to be causing a problem with some alpha-channel objects no longer being 2-sided. Like fences and the open hangar. I thought I had maybe just not checked the 2-sided box in PT2, but I did. Dammit. I guess I'll backup my SketchUp file and go and remove some of the stuff I added. Grrrrr. I hope that fixes it.

I'll send you a file tonight.

Oh something to think about, I'm still a ways from being ready to add the refinery, but how do you see the explosion being triggered? I figure there's two options. Just using smashables, where anyone driving into the refinery and hitting something too hard - KABOOM. Or put a switch for player to drive over to set off explosion from distance. I'm leaning towards option one.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah. Alpha-overload?

That sucks...Is there any place where ya can get away with just re-using regular textures instead of alphas? Would that solve the problem? Maybe the sprites you were mentioning earlier?
(I'm assuming that the game can only correctly display so may 2-sided alphas before the performance degrades..)
I mean, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but it sounds like more of the area is gonna be arid or at least treeless on account of this development-which isn't so bad 'cause there ain't many trees out there in real life anyway. Just they looked so GOOD, dammit.

What areas can ya cut back on trees in and still get the effect? I know the south/southwest is mainly arid and that pretty much goes up to well north of the airport and west to Silverton.

In Google Earth-most of the trees I've seen are around the towns and just along roads near the towns and along the creekbeds. The rest is treeless scrublands or just outright desert sandy/rocky.

*Remembering your comment about how good the trees looked at ground level and about how the more trees, the better it looked*

Sounds like it's trade-off time, eh?

Lemme cruise around what ya got in there already and see where we could do without trees.
There's prolly a goodly few places ya could get rid of them (or some of them) and it wouldn't take away from the experience.

If a player triggers the explosion from inside the refinery by hitting something, would there be a delay to have time to escape? (I'm assuming you're setting up the bus gate to move when the player drives over a switch) or would it just waste/severely damage the player like the rows of gas pumps usually do?

I would think the explosion would be best viewed from a distance-as in the movie. Better to see the effects/debris/etc. Then again, there's always the replay to watch the refinery blow up. I'll leave it up to you.

Thanks in advance for the updated version. I can't offer much input (even tho I'm sure ya'd like me to STFU sometimes) :wink: when I'm still on the original one.

It also occurs to me that a good name for this map would be "Maxed Out"-A tribute to the original Mad Max Trilogy. Seems there's some truth to that, no? :lol:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I'm not having a good day. I tried removing a bunch trees and bushes and it didn't make a difference. Wtf?

So fuckit, I'm sealing the open hangar. The only other places, I think, that weren't two-sided were some small fences. Trees and bushes stayed 2-sided. Not that big of a deal I guess, kinda frustrating.
BUT I got a virus on my PC this afternoon (I'm typing this on my iPad). Now I need to spend today fixing the PC. If I lose these files I'm gonna kill somebody. :supermad:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

YARR. Copy yer stuff out in safe mode!!!

Ah. In that case it's a good thing I have a working copy of the map. It's the beginning, but it's better than having to restart from scratch should all become lost. I've saved stuff in several places and on a thumb drive.

I'll zip it up just in case and I have all the other stuff I made for it, too.
Major bummer....
Good luck with the 'puter, bro. Hope ya can save 'er.

Small fences and stuff can be changed and the hangar was a cool idea, but the plane can just as easily turn around in front of it as go into it and turn around.

If ya get it sorted-send me updated versions as ya add major stuff so there's always a safe copy outside yer machine.

(Same thing happened to me in the beginning-except it was a CarEd puke/corrupt event.) I feelz ya.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Oh noes :ssad:

By the way, you shouldn't hesitate to ask us to look at your files when there's such a problem (transparency there).
You said some were forced to one-sided materials right?
Thus not flickering like the usual alpha-overload?
Would interest me to have a look at that. I guess ACT and MAT files can product weird behaviors at times (esp. thanks to PT2) but such a thing happening out of nowhere is weird!

Looking mighty fine, guys, can't wait to play on that track :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok I got my PC back running. Motherfuckers. I had the FBI Alert virus. Completely locked up my machine. Was able to start in safe mode and do a system restore. Weird thing is Microsoft Security scan found 0 bad files???? I ended up downloading some WalWare scan that found 12 (!!!) trojans.

Anyways, didn't lose anything, phew. :beer:

Ok another weird thing. Since it seemed removing the extra trees didn't help, I went back to my backup that had all the extra trees and bushes and used that. I did seal up the open hangar, but when I drove through Silverton the fences that were misbehaving before are now 2-sided again(???????) Crazy shit.

D_B I sent you the latest file. I filled in most of the SouthWest, added 747, 2 car haulers and a lost mine in the mountains. Also textured a bunch of roadway. There's still odd alignments here and there with the roadlines but it's really hard to do unless the roads are perfectly uniform in width. I had hoped to fill in the rest of the terrain this weekend but didn't quite work out. :sad:

Check who’s online