Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

Post by Deep_Blue »

'K Thanks, JC. 'Preciate the update. I've been posting the pics of what you and I have done on Facebook for anybody following the progress.

I bet it's a bugger putting the textures back right. Looks fookin' awesome tho. :thumbsup:

Way better than it looked in CarEd-but then EVERYTHING looks better in something else than in CarEd.

I can dig the time thing-ours went back to school Monday last week-(I drive the bus).
Weekends are pretty much all the time I get now.
Still-if ya need me to make anything for the map, don't hesitate to lemme know.

Thanks again, man.......Ya rock!

:grin:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey Coffey....I got to thinkin', well....because it's all the C2 setting up *I* know how to do besides modeling....

What with making the refinery compound gate movable and all.....is there any way to make the compound....explode like in the movie? Maybe by hitting something specific.
Similar to how the oil pumps explode in the 'Oil-Be-Blowed' mission?

If so, would I need to model a wrecked/scattered version of the compound? (I'm gonna hafta play that C2 mission and see what happens to the pumps again).
Lemme know when ya get a chance.
If possible, I wouldn't want it to be anything like a mission, but thought it might be a cool option during gameplay....?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I haven't done any explosive objects like gas pumps in a map yet. It sounds doable though. And I think you're right about second wrecked model. But I think unwrecked refinery needs to be separate model so it can swap with wrecked.

Probably would need to be broken multiple smaller parts. Don't know if you'd be able to drive inside compound if one object?

Having you make more stuff in CarEd that then needs to go into SketchUp isn't something I'm keen on. I'm still doing cleanup from the original conversion.

I'll keep refinery as separate part so we can experiment with explosions later.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

I think it's better to have multiple objects, otherwise it would probably look a bit strange if a huge area swaps to the destroyed version in a blink of an eye. :)

It's possible to create as many delayed explosive blasts from a single source (eg switch) as you can be bothered to set up. Note that by "explosive blasts", I don't mean the actual explosion graphics, which also can be as numerous and as delayed as you want them to be. Explosive blasts are destructive volumes that you can target to different areas.

For example, if you so wanted, a certain switch in the desert mission could destroy all of the remaining pumps in the map, each having its own custom delay.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

C2: Ok, that's great news. I guess I'll need to setup a little test map to experiment with explosions.

D_B: Maybe you could grab the refinery off your map and make it a separate re-centered model sitting on it's little square of ground. Then Save As and make the wrecked version.
Then I'll import the new refinery into PT2

I spent some time on Silverton
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Wow. That looks awesome! Nice work! While you were in that area did you notice the lil' "prohibited area" skull/crossbones sign on the roadside heading north out of Silverton towards the lookout? It's the only one of it's kind on the map and it's really small. I was gonna put a couple of them around in strategic places but only got as far as that one.

Man...Looking at your work, I gotta start playing around with Sketchup some more. I just started messing a bit with v.8 and haven't gotten the hang of anything yet. (I managed to puke out some flat planes on different, unpredictable angles and swipe Google Earth info and display it as a terrain model, but I still have no real idea of what I'm doing yet.

OK. I can swipe the refinery off the map and it's patch it sits on prolly this weekend and save an unwrecked and wrecked centered version. There's no textures on it in the map you have so there's nothing to straighten out image-wise.

I made everything in the compound simple and blocky and was going to add detail with textures.
(like the chain-link fence around it and the piping/framework from the fractioning column to the shed, etc. Making it look wrecked would just be a matter of breaking pieces up, making them kinda jagged and then finishing the effect with textures, no? I can texture it in CarEd to see how stuff will line up and then remove all the textures and ship 'em separate from the model to ya with a list of what goes where with the .tifs if ya'd like. I dunno. What works best?

Simulating the bent/warped central blast effect is easy. Just hafta know the best way to make/modify everything.

Dude......I can hardly wait to drive onnat map. I've been dreaming of something like this since C2 came out.

:rockon:
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

You can go ahead and make a textured refinery and a textured wrecked version. Don't need separate OBJs for each part.

Textures will be fine because I won't import it into SketchUp. I'll leave the old untextured one in place for scale and position and import the new model when it finally gets to PT2. Then get rid of untextured one.

Just send uncompiled OBJs like gyro etc.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Wow this map is starting to look great you guys. The last shot is impressive. I bet this will also work in c2, with a big YON distance. Since there aren't that many polygons in it, it will probably run great!

Man I gotta get back to modelling stuff myself! :D
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harm: it will definitely work in C2. I got the scrambled textured version ingame just to make sure there wouldn't be errors before I did anything.

D_B: I just realized you edited/added your earlier post. Yes, I did see skull sign. I will probably make noncar versions of your signs and road posts. Otherwise they'll be rock solid.

Edit: if you have time and want to make separate OBJs for each road sign that'd be great. I'll make them into noncars. I think there should be a Mundi Mundi Lookout sign too like in the beginning of the movie.

@Harm: yes now that you've got your MaxTool just about perfected I'd love to see a totally non-Pt2-made map.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Depending on how long it takes to finish the map, some additional peds could be cool. I had been thinking a mohawk shoulder padded goon would be great to chase.

I was just googling Australian road signs and saw kangaroo signs.

There's an hopping alien ped animation I could reuse for kangaroo ped....
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK Mon. This weekend I got three days off (Labor Day here). I'll get the refinery versions and signs together for ya.

I like the mohawker ped idea. Or a "Smegma Crazy", or a "GB Berserker"

What, if anything can be done with the roads (terminations)? I was going to make them eventually circuitous but never got that far-It was all I could do to model the roads the filming locations were on and the terrain between them. Just curious if ya got any ideas.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I know you're trying to make the map somewhat accurate, but for the sake of fun gameplay I think all the roads need to link up. On the train ride into work this AM I thought about it some.

What about the road going west from lookout going out and forking north and south?

Since Mundi Mundi mountains are on north side I was thinking of adding a little more mountain and foothills. Road cutting thru a pass or canyon and linking up with the road coming up from Busted Hills.

South fork would swing thru more desert and low hills to link with southwest road from airport.

People would be able to drive a huge ass figure-8 looping up thru mountains, come back thru Silverton and then loop south. Plus there's the dry creekbeds to explore.

So I think the map will get a bit bigger. We'll want the linking roads to have a little scenery around them. As far as what to do about map boundries, there can be some mountains on the north side of course. But I hate to ruin the horizon of the desert to the west and south. What if there just isn't anything blocking the way? If you go too far you fall off edge and respawn. This map is so big that there won't be a problem with game freezing if AI drive off. They'll just respawn down other end of map.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I *LIKE* that idea just fine. I was wondering just how the f%#& I was gonna do that..
If possible, I'd like the tanker crash curve (north fork) to have a small gully or shallow depression of sorts right on the apex of the curve. That hazard was going to be an integral part. I was going to lower the terrain a bit on the outside of the curve. Couple guide posts to knock down, etc. In fact, I only got to put some posts on one small section of road near Busted Hill.. They were to be anywhere there was a low spot or place where the road was higher than the terrain and on some curves.

Any idea as to what to do with Busted Hill (walled city) itself? Or was my idea OK?

Sounds good, man. Scenery here and there sounds good, too. The textures I saw in your preview looked nice from the altitude shown, but a shrub or tree here and there just makes it believeable.

Are you planning on grouping peds near 'population centers?' (Remembering the splatfest constantly knocking me off the road on your Big Outback Track map.(I dig it, BTW) Wotta bitch to drive without the solid granite cheat! Heh.)

Mebbe a few scattered mohawkers/bandits peds along the roads as well? (I realize that peds are an element of the game and necessary on a big map to gain points/gameplay time. Mebbe a "time bonus" thingy off to the roadside once inna while like C1 had?) I dunno.
..I suppose a berm of some sort before falling off the map would work also. However ya think best.

Anyways...I'm back to the signs...
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Roads
I think maybe the lower right dead end would be a good place for a fenced and blocked road section.

Scenery
Yes, but with this huge map I think it'll be clustered more along roadsides/strategic places and spread real thin off road.

Peds
Ha ha, ya lots of peds on Big Track. You can turn that down. Open the bigtrack.txt and find the first line that say
// Number of peds per 100 square metres, the "density" of peds.
And make that number smaller, like change .3 to .1

Ped spawn points are based on a texture/material. So I can have a 'special' dirt texture to use just on places where we want peds hanging around.
We can have them spawn on all the other dirt textures too, just make the amount tiny so you only see someone once in a while.

Signs & Fences
Yeah a lot of signs. 'Prohibited','Keep Out','Danger'. I agree we can have long sections of fence. What's a dog fence?

Remember that there's already a bunch of C2 signs and props that we use or reskin. And they're setup as noncars already.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

If I remember my history correctly, there's a big-ass long fence splitting the south from the north over there. Actually a series of fences protecting the sheep and cattle areas from the dingoes.

This fence is like thousands of miles long altogether in several sections. So a big-ass wore fence would look natural somewheres along an edge. The map is supposed to be NSW, but a lil' artistic license wouldn't hurt.

I modeled a couple road signposts last evening (Anarchie RD 3KM and Bedlam RD 5KM) using textures swiped from a fan-made movie prop. I got a goodly pic of the Mundi Mundi Lookout sign, but some of the destination arrows are hard to read so I'll have to improvise some of them.

Looking at pics of the barrier fences, they're made of wire mesh (chicken wire, etc.)

The rest of the movie signs I can model as they're dirt simple. They'll only need to be scaled and placed. I'll knock 'em all out with the refinery versions this weekend. We got us a former hurricane raising hell off to our immediate west and it looks like it'll be raining/crappy all weekend so I should have lotsa free time to make stuff.

What do ya wanna do with the walled city? Was my 'facades with short streets inside alpha channeled gates' idea workable?

Ten-four on the reuseable C2 signs. Is there already one in there shaped as a 'give way' (American 'yield') sign? There needs to be one of those with pellet holes in it at the junction of the pinnacles road and the next one down where it comes to a point.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I'll try the facades on the walled city, it should work.

Edit: on the signs can you give them some thickness so they have a front and back?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Re:signs- Yes, I'm already doing that. (skinny boxes w/ one face as separate component/texture to keep words facing the right way where applicable + 4 sided post(s).I'll send new fatalities sign and prohibited area skull/bones signs as well.

I'm off for three days and it's gonna rain most of 'em so I'll get on the refinery models.

Whaddya think of this:
There should be woodlands...
There should be woodlands...
MaxMapwoods.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
I was going to do this originally to break up the sight lines at some of the intersections-and because there's woodlands pretty much only around Busted Hill and Silverton.

I got photos of treelines in and around those places if 'walls-o'-trees' is acceptable.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, I like wall-o-trees. I do have some tree textures but I don't know if they look Australian. SO send me what you got.

Made this tonight.
Used parts from an existing ped I had and gave him a mohawk and shoulder pads.
I'll do the ped setup later. I just needed to do something wacky tonight.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

That's fookin' awesome, man. :D

OK, I'll dig up the trees pics tomorrow and ship 'em to ya.

Nice work!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thanks for the trees. I made 2 repeating treelines from what you sent. A scraggly desert (below) and a denser dark forest type.

Wall o' Trees

I'll still need to stick random individual trees here and there, but I think even this adds alot to the map.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Wow!

That looks great! You're right. It sure does add some needed detail. A lone gum tree here and there is a good idea. Looking at the place in Google Earth, it's kinda like that.

Here's some refinery compound pics: Unwrecked version- (Maxie, I swiped your tanker textures from the Rax Dog truck. It's s'posed to be the same tank and...well...they were perfect.)
compound1.jpg
compound1.jpg (98.56 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
compound2.jpg
compound2.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
I redid the tire walls and added a few minor things. I dunno if the scale's right (I didn't change it any from the size it was on the map-I just removed it and centered it on CarEd's XYZ intersection.)

Suggestions for texture/stuff layout are welcome. Tried to get it as much like in the movie without it being too complicated as I could. (Left out the incidental piles and stacks of crap inside the compound as it would be too cluttered and take forever to make...)
Attachments
compound3.jpg
compound3.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

AAannnnd the wrecked version...
Wrecked refinery compound
Wrecked refinery compound
Wreckdcompound.jpg (31.12 KiB) Viewed 5697 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Holy crap that looks great. Hahaha. I like the view inside the refinery too. Only texture suggestion is on the stack of 50 gal drums.
The 5 barrels look squished on the short end. What if you make a 3 barrel tif and save the 5 barrel for the long sides. Anyway, looks friggin awesome.

I imported an Eagle into SketchUp and scaled it to fit 2 lane Silverton Rd.
Here it is parked outside the "Fortress city" of Broken Hills.
I know the real Broken Hills looks nothing like this but I thought it should be grittier and more dangerous looking.

Making believe I'm driving on the dry creekbed.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yarr. I DID forgt to make a 3-barrel .tif

I'll be packin' that up and sendin it again. Both versions oughtta be sitting in yer mailbox. I'll redo the unwrecked version and re-mail it, cause those barrels are gonzo in the wrecked version.

You hadda scale an eagle in? OK, so there's a scale problem? I figured there might be.

Did I make stuff too small or did my scale wander?

(Like I said, I imported a C2 car and scaled the pinnacles and then just went from there til Silverton and then imported the car again to check the road width and building sizes.)

I may have lost reference along the way....CarEd uses the eyeball method for the most part.

Glad the facades worked on the fortress city. I wanted to get a tribute to JP's 'Ruin Nation' effort in there. I think he'd get a kick outta that.

Nice work, man!

I'll get those barrels fixed and resend the zip.
Also there'll be some road signs comin' atya tomorrow.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Carma scale and SketchUp scale are different. I usually scale everything to fit SketchUp so I can use the measuring tools.
I know Razor likes to work in Carma scale, to each his own. :beer:

Got the refineries. Those should work just fine. I want to animate the pump arm, but not sure if an object can be animated and destroyable.
I guess that's something else I'll need to experiment with.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I sent you another unwrecked refinery ('Refinery.zip') a few hours ago. I fixed the barrel stack end texture to a 3-barrel pic. Looks better, so chuck the 'Refinery.zip' I sent ya last night.

OK. Now I understand the scale thing. ;)

I posted the fortress city pic on Faceybook. Dean loves it. :grin:

Raining on and off here today. No cookouts. :(

Making road signs-will preview 'em here before I pack 'em up and ship 'em.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya, got the latest refinery, will use that'n.
Trying to skin and finish off the airport section this afternoon.
Just made some hangers. Will update w/screens.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice! "Gasoline! Thousands a gallons! All ya want! They're pumpin' it all day long! Ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk!"

Here's some road signs.

I'll put all the CarEd folders in one zip prolly tomorrow after work..
Highway to Hell signs
Highway to Hell signs
HtHsigns.jpg (42.14 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
more signs
more signs
signs2.jpg (14.49 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Broken Hill Airport
There's lots of noncars to add here - fuel trucks, box trucks and all the C2 airport props. Maybe a static plane or two.
Everything can be reskinned to look rusted and beat up.

I guess next is building linking roads and new terrain.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Wow you guys, this thread is becoming awesome.

That last shot makes me think that the landscape in general should have a different texture. The contrast between the landmass and those details like the airport is way too big... Would it not be better to just tile a smaller texture across the landscape?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

We talked about this some earlier in the thread. D_B wanted to use real google maps aerial photos and not have the usual tiling effect of repeating textures.

I did scale some of the large terrain textures so that they repeat 4 or 5 times, but they're still really big. I might save a copy of the map and try scaling down the textures even more to see if it looks any better.

The soft smeared colors don't bother me that much anymore. I think if we can get vegetation, fencing and other noncar details sitting on the surface, the terrain will serve as a 'painterly' backdrop. :smile:
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

I am really enjoying the way that this is coming together, really great stuff guys :smile:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

LOL. Ya, 'painterly.' :D

/me likes dat.

Awesome work, JC!

Man.....I gotta learn howta use Sketchup. I got it-I've tried to play with it some, but i'm still confussed yet.

So I look at the pics you post-and I notice the difference between the resolution/quality of your pics and the quality of the ones I post...Is it just because mine are taken from CarEd that they look all kiddie drawn and blocky-or does my video adapter just plain suck? (or are my 1337 skinning skillz just that damn bad?) I'm thinking me an' CarEd because the stuff you make looks pretty much the same on my netbook...

Did you get the signs I sent ya?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I think he takes captures from SketchUp and not from CarEd ;)

JC: I'm with Harm about the tiling of terrain. The best that can be achieved with non-tiled terrain is what I did with the HTA track, and it is far from great :( (I think I used 256 256*256 textures)
Don't forget we can help you improve that terrain mesh quite easily when you'll be in the PT2 phase.
We can swap the current mesh with a new one, mapped differently with different textures.

This' all looking good by the way!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yes, screens are from SketchUp, but I used to take screens from within CarEd all the time. It helps to make the viewport nice and big.
Don't know what you use to save them as JPGs but make sure the compression settings aren't cranked up. That's what causes the blockiness, usually.

I'm going to continue skinning using D_B's google map TIFs for now. I've still got entire sections of map to build out.
If someone wants to fiddle with the textures and mesh once it's in PT2 or exported as a 3DS then cool. But's still D_B's baby, he oughta be making the calls.

Check who’s online