Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Wiki for Carmageddon 2 editing/specs and Plaything2

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Like toshiba-3 sugested me some time ago in a email, i think it should be a EXCELENT idea to make a wiki for both carmageddon2 and plaything2 so that each time a map maker wants to start making maps and has a lot of problems starting to learn it (i think that a good example is coffeycup, no offense).

Altough i never did something like this, and i would need some help on this, at least a few tips and advices in where to do this and how exactly. I do have already a list of several carma2 limitations and hidden features that almost no one knows about (Except ttr, c2 scientist and toshiba i think !) and i think this forum is the best place to post such a thing when it's done.

Any advices in how to start doing this ? I don't mind doing most of the work since i have plenty of free time, but i need some advices to start with this, and also some contributions of course.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello !
Great to see that this idea emerge again !

A good way to start would be to make links to the big discussions between you and C2S over CWA.
People like ChevyII (Small_Block) and Econo posted interesting notes here and there too.
We can also compile our emails, etc~

I'll look tomorrow or this weekend for wiki templates and install them on the server.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Oh yeah i need something like that,the map making (the texts and all that) is still a big fuzzy thing for me :arr:
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

oh yes, toshiba, thanks a lot for this, for years i wanted so much that people making maps for carma2 would try exploring all editing possibilities to their maximum, because if you look at all maps released so far, most of them (there is some exceptions of course) are quite simple in relation to what carma2 can truly do, and without giving too much work, it's just there isn't any place where those most advanced stuff can be released to the public.

About my conversations with c2 scientist, you can't believe the THOUSANDS of pages i have talked with him, i still have all the htmls files from cwaboard of me talking to him, even from many years ago when i knew him at first ! And i also have tons of big emails from him, i will of course sort everything out and them we will construct a wiki from this !! By the way there is also c2 scientist's tuturials, many usefull things can be extracted from there, but unfortunately i don't know what's happened to him, he seem to have "vanished" where the heck is he ?! It's a HUGE waste a "scientist" as him leaving the "world" of carma2 editing...

And by the way don't forget we have to include a section to teach people to work with plaything2 to make it much less complicated to use, for example i have already a list of most known causes of crashes, and don't forget there is my pt2 mod (so far only the version without macros is done) which have modified dialog boxes to avoid some of the most frequent crashes.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Concerning Scientist, i had send him a pm on CWA a while ago..i saw him online but he didnt reply and i know he always does!

So he doesnt answer emails neither? If not...i wouldnt know what happend :errr:
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

yes he doesn't reply emails anymore, and yes they are received since my email account doesn't give any error... it's a waste that such a person which understand about as much as me or even more maybe have quited carma2 editing...
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

oh sure, make an example of me. :mmh:
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

forgive me, my example was NOT to be interpreted in a negative way (that's precisely why i said "no offense") besides i know very well you are not the only one having problems, and besides it's not your fault. Please forgive me but i wasn't able to write that in another way, besides i don't see why is that so offensive, since it's not your fault that you have problems, my point was most people have problems.

edit : oops, now i noticed the smiley you used ! So i assume you weren't bothered by me "using you as example" ?

by the way were is the .ase file you said you sent me ? I didn't received nothing... please indicate a link or tell me where you sent it, i check both my email acounts have i didn't received... (in emails your nickname is also coffeycup ?)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

yes, I was kidding. :smile:

I thought I sent it where you told me too. (It didn't bounce back as undelivered)

anyway, here's a link to it: Test.zip

it's just a terrain test, no roads or anything.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

About wiki, its a good idea and too dig up all the convo's etc..but are you/we gonna keep that as it is? 'cause i dont think people want to read lotsa and lotsa text's
Why not use small but explained text's?

Or a tutorial?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The wiki has been created : http://wiki.toshiba-3.com
It's quite empty ofcourse.
Time to fill it up I guess.

@ TTR : We'll obviously not post emails as they are. Just make concise summaries.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

to coffeycuf :

thanks for the file, this will greatly help me in fixing more bugs in my tool. OH NO, i just notice a new bug in my tool : now it doesn't import files when associating it with it in windows explorer !!

Indeed you are right it does also give me the "file not found" error as well, i was almost afraid only you would get the error :)

to TTR :

Quote "About wiki, its a good idea and too dig up all the convo's etc..but are you/we gonna keep that as it is? 'cause i dont think people want to read lotsa and lotsa text's
Why not use small but explained text's?"

and to toshiba :

"Just make concise summaries."

Yes you both are are right, but remember that in a wiki and html files there is hyperlinks to the same page, so i guess we will split up the text in topics so that it doesn't make lots of text to read, for example, a hyperlink for noncars, a hyperlink for drones, etc.

Anyways i NEED someone to "process" or edit my contributions to this, since i am not good at resuming stuff (that's why i write a LOT of text) so which one of you (ttr or toshiba, or even coffeycup) has more free time for helping me on this ? And also which of you are more experienced in making short tuturials ?
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

to coffeycup :

please let's move this conversation to the ase2asc again, i did a mistake by continuing it here, it's there that it should be done so that others that have the same problem tell that in the correct place
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

to ttr and toshiba :

when you can, don't forget to reply this part about the wiki, and how we are going to do about the processing of information i can't do this alone !
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Don't worry for the summaries and process of the mails, we'll take care of that.
I'll try tomorrow or during the weekend to make an article about the cellshading trick, just to start the wiki a bit and see how it works...
:kami:
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Thanks a lot, are you sure you can find all posts from me and c2 scientist in cwa board ?

Anyways i have to send you the email talkings i had with him and also with another person which is also making tracks (you remember that i talked about Dan, which created the noncar processor, which i am still to port to windows in vb6), i send it to you by your email soon, ok ? You don't need any from cwaboard, you can find those by yourself ?

bye
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yes, no problem for the references from CWA, we'll take care of that.
And yes I remember Dan and his VERY interesting tool :smile:
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Well, i see that someone has to start doig this, and i guess that again it will have to be me :) Altough i will still need someone to later resume my explanations, since i am UNABLE to descrive stuff without writing tons of text... Anyways i am already planning how the wiki will look like, then afterwards other people can improve/resume it...

Is there anyone here with time to at least helping me resume long text ? I ask this because i know that most people here don't have time to make the wiki, but at least this i will need help at, if not then don't complain that i have wrote tons of text when i do it :)
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

I probly wont mind trying to help out. :smile:
Anything specific you would need help with? I know I could read over things for errors and I've done a few tutorials in the past, though nothing Carma-related yet.
Just thought I'd offer some help.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Ok, it's better talk about this in msn, i already added your adress in there, we can talk there better...

What i need more is people able to resume long texts to smaller ones without losing crucial details, since this is my biggest problem...
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Ok, here's the list of persons and which articles will be doing for the wiki : (1st update)

Shotgun :

1. Carma2 specs/general editing notions (mostly for beginners/newbies)
4.1. How to edit carma2 Cars
4.6. Other minor stuff Specs & editing sintaxes (ONE ITEM)

Econobrick :

5.1 cars (how to create cars from scratch)

Toshiba :
- creating new Pedestrians
- editing existing pedestrians

Coffeycup :
- creating new drones
- editing existing drones

Only thing missing now is someone expert in editing Main interface in c2, even tough this one isn't too important, at least the most important ones are now done by somebody.

ALL the rest i will do myself, since what i have most experience is plaything2 and track stuff in general.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

I'll order us all up some dinner, how 'bout that?! Ya fuckin' Jerks...

...but that's oookay, that's allright, see...'cause i've got the monkies.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The wiki is going on pretty good :nice:

Just let me know if any of you encounter a problem or such. I've enabled file uploads btw.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

So far the only problem i found is that it's only possible to upload media files in wiki's, not zip files... I wanted to upload a few zips with small example projects to load in Plaything2 in some tuturials, but i can't even link to external zip files!! I guess i have to put all them in my website, in the same link...

Also i hope i am not the only one doing articles, altough i thank Coffeycup for already making the Drone Creation tutorial :) Oh, and to shotgun for making the key list article as well !
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thanks, I am not done yet. I would also like to be able to upload a few small examples..mostly just TXT files. I can just upload to my site as well, if that is the the best way.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I've enabled the upload of zip files :wink:

If any of you have a problem with the MediaWiki platform, just check the official website :
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Everything is explained there~
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Common guys, are me and coffeycup the only ones contributing ? I hope that some of the other people in the "team" can do something soon :) So far i would also apreciate some help in fixing my plaything2 articles, since i am sure that some of them are too long and confusing, i need suggestions...
thegowrie
pedestrian

Post by thegowrie »

I've done up a page for my editor:
C2_Settings_Editor
I'll have to play around with the Carma 2 settings a bit more before I could contribute much to what they actually do. The Wiki is a great idea too by the way, someone might have to link to it from other C2 wikis when it's got a bit more content.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hi, very good initiative.
Don't hesitate to continue your work :tup:

As soon as I'll be done with my exams and such, there will be a massive explosion of projects and release from me ; but expect also major updates in the wiki :sglasses:
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Finally, thanks a lot for your contribution, i was almost fearing that the wiki would be dead, since i latelty haven't had time to add more articles...
thegowrie
pedestrian

Post by thegowrie »

I've done a quick once-over for the crates (pickups/powerups) too. It might be a bit convoluted though, I've never done a wiki page before so I'm still picking up the code.

Unfortunately that's about all I've messed around with in Carma2 (I've only ever added 2 cars to it, no pedestrians or anything), so I'll try to learn more about the car txt files and do up that page. Unless Shotgun is already taking care of it.

Just a quick question though: With the car editing bit, is that skins or text files? Or both? I'm not sure how hard it is to edit the skins (never even looked at trying), but my explainations usually run a bit long and detailed so it might need separated pages if I do end up doing the text file explaination.
Like:

[quote]*How to edit cars:
**[[Skins and bodies]]
**[[Text files]][/quote]
Otherwise it might end up boring and hard to navigate or something.

The Races.txt file (How to edit main track and general settings/features?) looks pretty easy to explain too, I could probably whip that up in 30 - 40 mins if noone else is.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Actually you can go on with any article you want, if there's corrections/improvements to be made, they'll be done eventually. You can also complete existing ones. It's a wiki :]

Feel also free to edit the articles hierarchy to make it easier to read and organize (edit cars i.e.).

Check who’s online