Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Discuss, mod and troubleshoot!
Trent
mindless

Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

Post by Trent »

Here it is, the tool you've all been waiting for: MINGE! Most of you will use it for installing mods and turning them on or off and some of you will use it for packing up vehicles, wheels and levels, an invaluable tool for anyone interested in mods.

Remember that this tool only installs CarMODgeddon mods, not the old style of mods which you used to place in the ZAD folder. Just drag a CarMODgeddon mod's ZAD file onto the Minge window and it will install it to the correct place, then tick it's checkbox and click save to make the game use the mods.

Using CarMODgeddon mode you can play multiplayer with mods, but currently the game only lets you play multiplayer with people using the EXACT SAME mods enabled as you. If either of you have, say, an extra car or wheel enabled then the game will give you a data mismatch error. Hopefully this will be fixed in coming updates to the game.

Download it from my brand new (work in progress) website here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/Tools/Minge

Here is the readme:
Minge Readme wrote:Minge is a tool for Carmageddon: Reincarnation to install, manage and package CarMODgeddon mods.

Features:
* Manage which mods are active in CarMODgeddon mode.
* Automatically create the necessary folder structure and config file for CarMODgeddon.
* Drag & Drop support for installing Mods.
* Package Mods with additional metadata for Minge to use.
* Automatic conversion of TDX textures to IMG format
* Automatically fix HUD Damage Indicator

Install & Setup:
1: Unpack to some folder somewhere
2: Run Minge.exe
3: Direct the game to your Carmageddon: Reincarnation folder

Installing Mods:
1: Run Minge
2: Drag your Mod's ZAD file on top of Minge's window

Enabling & Disable Mods:
1: Tick or untick the Mods you wish to enable or disable from the Vehicles, Levels or Wheels panels
2: Click save.
3: Start the game in CarMODgeddon mode and use your mods.

Special thanks to Stainless for making such an awesome and moddable game and providing answers to my many questions; and to Errol for being a genius and doing all the hard work reverse engineering all the game's file formats and for putting up with me wasting his time on the IMG format!
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Re: Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

Post by Trent »

The instructions in the OP are a bit out of date so here's a proper tutorial to help anyone who can't work it out. We will be using my C1 mod as an example.

Prerequisites:
Minge v5.30: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/too ... eV5.30.zip
C1 Mod: http://www.carmatools.com/download/mods ... ngeBag.zip

9 Easy steps to install Minge, install the mods and run the game with them:
1: Extract Minge.exe from the zip into your game's folder.
2: Run Minge.exe
3: Drag Carmageddon_1_v1.mingeBag.zip onto the Minge window
4: Click Install
5: Wait for it to finish and click Close
6: Right click on the list of Vehicles and click Select All
7: Click on the Levels tab, right click,SAelect All
8: Click on the Settings button (Image) and tick "Enable Carmodgeddon" then click Save
9: Click the Play button
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Hi,

When I try to start Minge.exe (tried 5.20, 5.30, 5.31), it immediately stops working.
Also tried to run as admin.

In the event log I can see:
Application: Minge.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
at Minge.DataStructures.MingeSettings.SetDefaults()
at Minge.DataStructures.MingeSettings..ctor(System.String)
at Minge.MingeForm..ctor()
at Minge.Program.Main(System.String[])

.NET 4.7.1 is installed.

Windows version: W10 1809, latest patches installed.
Tried to run on a W7 machine with .NET 4.6 installed, but the result is the same.
I can start a one with file version 4.1.0.0, from 2016, but that doesn't support C-MD.

Could you please advise how to start it?

Thanks, Jim
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Hi Jim,

Could you let me know what version of Max Damage you're using? I have a hunch about what's wrong but I need to confirm which version you're running to be sure.
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Hi Trent,

Version: 1.0.0.9853. However the issue is not with C-MD, that starts me correctly.
I cannot start Mingle.exe. I tried it on multiple machines (W10 with different versions, W7) but when I start it, it immediately crashes, with Window Problem Reporting says: stopped working. I attached a procmon capture, that may be helpful.
minge.zip
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

By "version" I meant "where is it from"? Is it the steam version or the gog version? And do you have Steam installed at all?
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

I have a GOG version, but only the offline installed version (screenshot attached), I play just myself, don't like online/multi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Thanks, that confirms my theory. Minge looks for a registry key to find the steam folder (used for launching the steam version of the game), a function which I wrote before the GOG version was released and never thought to update. If steam isn't installed then the registry key is not found and it throws an exception and crashes the program. I never considered there would be people playing it without Steam installed! 🤣

It's a simple fix, so I'll release a new version tomorrow which hopefully will solve the problem for you.
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

I see. :smile:
Does it require a new build or is it enough if I create those keys manually?
If the 2nd, could you pls share with me (or maybe the procmon capture contains?) those reg keys and I will give a try and report back to you.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

You could just install steam if you want the simplest no-update solution. The key in question is SteamPath in Software\Valve\Steam.

But I've updated Minge anyway now, it tool longer to package it up and release it than to apply the fix haha.

Grab it here: http://carmatools.com/downloads/tools/MingeV5.32.zip
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Well, I still got some errors to start, so I installed a VM, installed there Steam, did a backup of the Valve reg key, imported on my physical machine and started to work. :lol:
Nevertheless you did a fantastic job, very cool!
When I start the game with Minge (added a random new car and ticked "Enable Carmodgeddon"), the career mode is being locked, is that normal behavior, or can that be somehow unlocked?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

jim85 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:01 pm Well, I still got some errors to start, so I installed a VM, installed there Steam, did a backup of the Valve reg key, imported on my physical machine and started to work. :lol:
That's very strange, are you certain you are using Minge v5.32? I've just tested pointing it at a non-existant key and it seems to work.
When I start the game with Minge (added a random new car and ticked "Enable Carmodgeddon"), the career mode is being locked, is that normal behavior, or can that be somehow unlocked?
Yes that's just how CarMODgeddon works. If you want to play mods in career mode you will need to use the experimental beta patch which has a different mod system to CarMODgeddon, but that unfortunately is only available through Steam.
a.k.a. Brent
jim85
pedestrian

Post by jim85 »

Yes, v5.32 is used. I tested it: once I remove the reg key, it crashes, when I set it back, it works as expected.

Regarding the story mode ... thanks for the clarification, as I have GOG I think I will stay with it and then run some free races with new cars. :)