Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C2 on XP (Yes, Again)

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
random_monkey
motorized monkey

C2 on XP (Yes, Again)

Post by random_monkey »

I, as everyone else has sometime in the past, am having problems getting C2 working on XP.
I've followed the tutorial that was on maim but it doesn't seem to want to work...

I did this:

Installed C2
Installed the blood patch ('cos mines zombie :<)
Installed the blood V2 patch
installed the noCD crack
installed the glidewrapper
setup the glide thing for C2
ran C2 and selected it to run in glide

but it comes up with "Carma2_hw.exe has caused a bla bla" (Or whatever the XP version is)

Anyone got any clues?
random_monkey

Tags:
Mustang
Hot Sexy Man Beast

Re: C2 on XP (Yes, Again)

Post by Mustang »

it could be glide wrapper as that was what was stopping mine from working, unless you've already tried without it. or you may have a controller pluged in.

btw, could someone post there working glidewrapper settings?
ArcheR
pedestrian

Post by ArcheR »

cant give you any help apart from trying win98 compatability mode. but im sure you have tried that. has anyone got any hints for xp pro x64?
who thinks there should be a DotA SourcE mod?
one day ill make a proper banner. who cares if i use a differnt name in this forum.
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

You talking the 64bit architecture? That might not be so easy, you'll have to work that one out and report... as for rm, thats slacking, you should have tested before the glide wrapper stage. You might also want to make sure that you have the correct version of the patch, as I understand that different countries have different setups? I had problems myself but I forget how I did it... when you figure it out let us know :smile:
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

I've tested without the wrapper, no luck, and I've only grabbed the V2 patch off maim, so whatever that is :/

Did you get the error I'm getting?
random_monkey
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Try without the blood patch and see if that works... use the zombie v2 patch (europe).
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

I tried it with "UK C2 V2 Patch (Zombie Version)", and that didn't work either... (The first time was UK Blood too)

I'll check my CD case when I get back home, but I swear it's the UK version...

I might uninstall the glidewrapper and everything, then just start from scratch taking it step by step...

(Any chances my graphics card could be causing the problem? - 'tis a GeForce 7800GT)
random_monkey
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Hmm well that shouldn't be a problem... step-by-step diagnosis will be good, we'll see what happens.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Just out of curiosity, what does the v2 patch do when you run it? - I get a little console window that pops up and disappears, but it doesn't look like any text appears in it...

The errors still come on the step by step btw
random_monkey
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

The first step does it? I dont know what the patch does, its been so long since I used it. If you get a console window, you could try running it from command prompt to see what it says.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Says it doesn't run in dos mode...
and it doesn't do the error at the first step 'cos that's the v2 patch... That still says "Won't run in NT". It's the NoCD crack that gives the error.
random_monkey
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

I've tried every damn thing I can think of but nothing has worked, so I've given up :tongue:
random_monkey
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

I know this thread dates back to 2005 but I have a few problems with my game (stability issues really) and I thought of just replying to this instead of making yet another new thread within a minute of my last.

My Carmageddon II (on XP) will some times crash and has a few problems with it.
Does anyone else have any problems simular or know of a solution?

1. Sometimes after completing a race, just after the wreckage gallery - the game will crash to a black screan with the typical WIndows XP error message of "Carma II has encountered a problem and needs to close", No data is lost however, so any newly bought cars are saved.

2. Sometimes when I "recover", my car engine noise changes. Its the same sound but pitched differently - doesn't sound very roaring.

3. In some situations the game will crash when I try to split a car in half, However, I think this only occurs on the "bruise brothers" semi-mission when I split a cop car. It doesn't always crash and it seems that it only has a chance of crashing on the first splitting meaning after the first car has been split then its safe to split anyone else.

4. The train on the Beaver woods races tends to come out of the tunnel in a stupid angle and commonly gets derailed. Now back when I could play Carmageddon II without any patches on Windows 98, this never happened so has any of the patches done this or is this something that only happens to me?

5. Some sounds don't repeat or are sounded, I.E: the menu sounds, it should make a sound each time you click the arrow to change car, but for me it only plays the sound the first time I click that button. Also my car's horn sound isn't heard till I press the "s" key to disable sounds then press it again to re-enable it.

6. The game's "fog" will always be on every map, even is its been disabled through the game's otpions menu (I can get rid of the fog by re-enabling the fog, resume the game, then disabling it once more, but that gets annoying since I have to do that every race)

7. The game wont play any music even with the disk in the drive and music enabled. However, I do have another old game that plays music from the CD and that doesn't work on windows XP (Turok 2) So this one may be soley down to Windows?

How I installed carmageddon 2,

Installed dirextX 9.C
Installed the full version of the game (but did not install quick time 3)
Used the C2 patch (some people call this the super patch - it removes the limit of the number of cars allowed in the game)
Installed Glide Wrapper,

- I can now play the game through "Glide" mode. (Its playing the game at high res mode but these problems have always happend)

If I tried the game unpatched, it just wont load up, If I tried the patch then it would go to a black screan then resumes me to desktop but with messed up colours.

My system:

Carmageddon 2 - with built in blood patch.
2.85 AMD 64 Dual core processor
2.GB DDR RAM
2x 7900GS (SLI)
Realtek built in sound card (I don't know the exact model)
Windows XP Home eddition

No programs running in background other than glide wrapper.

Basicaly I just want to know if these problems happen to any one else or if they are releated to Glide wrapper and if anyone knows and solution to any of them.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

A lot of these problems are common, aye - especially the car-splitting = crashing one, and the train going upwards one...

Most of them seem to be down to C2 having a 'wtf'? moment, and decides to crash out instead of sort it out :wink:

WRT your fog problem, there's a possibility I suppose that you've got a txt file in your c2/data setup as 'Read Only' so it doesn't save your settings?
I'm not sure which it would be... perhaps general.txt, but probably worth checking, just incase.
random_monkey
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

Ahh good, as long as I know its not just my computer it crashes on then thats allright :smile:

As for the Fog, I'll look at all my main files for any read-only properties.

*edit as I cannot double post*

No, that didn't work, the fog still comes back the very next race :sad:

Perhaps Glidewrapper is effecting this?
Have any one here who uses Glidewrapper had any problems with the fog returning after each race even though its still disabled in the options?

Check who’s online