Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[REQUEST]Can the visual damage be tweaked to match the Reincarnation pre-alpha style?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

[REQUEST]Can the visual damage be tweaked to match the Reincarnation pre-alpha style?

Post by MrDeviance »

Whenever I look at a pre-alpha version of Reincarnation, I notice the car damage physics seem much more fun and appealing to me than what is left in Max Damage today.

Does anybody have any idea of how to tweak the visual damage in Max Damage, to match the one seen in this video for example?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFAeMu7i_-Q
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Use my tweaks, the damage model is closer to how it was in C:R pre-alpha, it took a hit when the game was ported to console and the physics had to run on mobile cpus.

EDIT: to be more precise, I modified the damage model by increasing the deformation subdivisions (which was 1000 in C:R and 6 in MD if I recall correctly) and by severely increasing the amount of detachables.

It looks much better now when a car is hit by a mine or mortar and lots of parts fly everywhere.

You can check it in one of my videos in Youtube, it's called messing with config.lua (damage model improved)
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

P.S. Sorry double post
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Yeah, damage and physics in alpha were more natural and sometimes more complex. I'd like to bring that back.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Psyrgery wrote:Use my tweaks, the damage model is closer to how it was in C:R pre-alpha, it took a hit when the game was ported to console and the physics had to run on mobile cpus.

EDIT: to be more precise, I modified the damage model by increasing the deformation subdivisions (which was 1000 in C:R and 6 in MD if I recall correctly) and by severely increasing the amount of detachables.

It looks much better now when a car is hit by a mine or mortar and lots of parts fly everywhere.

You can check it in one of my videos in Youtube, it's called messing with config.lua (damage model improved)

would you mind to share a link, please? :)
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Post by MrDeviance »

Psyrgery wrote:Use my tweaks, the damage model is closer to how it was in C:R pre-alpha, it took a hit when the game was ported to console and the physics had to run on mobile cpus.

Hey thanks. I had read your topic but I thought your mod only dealt with the type of damage that cars do to other cars at a statistic level and not on a visual level.

It would have helped if you had some comparison videos in the topic but I guess that stuff takes lots of time.
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Fuck, forget what I said, the last tweaks I mention here were not uploaded to my Dropbox folder because I did not mean to include then in my mod, I mean I only got to fiddle with them a bit.

In I recall correctly I even managed ti increase the draw distance by a wide margin too.

I will update my mod later on today, sorry for the false information.

EDIT: Nevertheless the video really I mentione shows the tweaks I mentioned, I will try to make some comparison pics
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Psyrgery wrote:Fuck, forget what I said, the last tweaks I mention here were not uploaded to my Dropbox folder because I did not mean to include then in my mod, I mean I only got to fiddle with them a bit.

In I recall correctly I even managed ti increase the draw distance by a wide margin too.

EDIT: Nevertheless the video really I mentione shows the tweaks I mentioned, I will try to make some comparison pics

Nice, I'd like to try that out.
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Post by MrDeviance »

Psyrgery wrote:Fuck, forget what I said, the last tweaks I mention here were not uploaded to my Dropbox folder because I did not mean to include then in my mod, I mean I only got to fiddle with them a bit.

Aww ok, no problem. At least my topic helped with something to a degree.
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Okay, when I got home I found out that the last set of tweaks I made were a mess, so I spent the whole afternoon setting it up again from scratch.

I am not sure if you will like these tweaks, but give it a shot anyway, maybe you will enjoy it.

Download it here
ZeMantras
mechanic

Post by ZeMantras »

thks for the new tweaks will try

if u want more vec deformation just grab Psyrgery's "misc_maps.lua" and edit it, its pretty much all there under "car_damage_detail_map", its very straightforward.
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

ZeMantras wrote:thks for the new tweaks will try

if u want more vec deformation just grab Psyrgery's "misc_maps.lua" and edit it, its pretty much all there under "car_damage_detail_map", its very straightforward.
Hi ZeMantras,

that file only contains the presets for the amounts of detachable parts to be handled by the engine, (and my edits are only meant to work if you have set the game graphics config to "Best quality")

In fact, the game crush parameters are found in the file CGameParameters.lol which itself is found in the scripts folder within the ZAD file scripts.zad.

After you've decrypted it you can modify the blood colour, gravity, crush parameters, etc.

The files I've tweaked the most are this one and game_balance.lol which handles the damage input and output between the player and cpu opponents, among other things such as APO or credits.
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Post by MrDeviance »

Thanks a lot for the effort man.
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Hey it is a nice tweak, I love how detached parts litter the track. Also the the crushing is better.

I'm not sure if this is influenced by the tweak, but sometimes I get that soap brick buck where car's body loses traction with environment I remember getting it often in Alpha.

Also I think it would be cool to increase amount of bloody tire tracks and dead bodies, this way the track would look even better.
caiusmisus
pedestrian

Re: [REQUEST]Can the visual damage be tweaked to match the Reincarnation pre-alpha style?

Post by caiusmisus »

Psyrgery wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:26 pm Okay, when I got home I found out that the last set of tweaks I made were a mess, so I spent the whole afternoon setting it up again from scratch.I am not sure if you will like these tweaks, but give it a shot anyway, maybe you will enjoy it.Download it here
If anybody is still around, exactly what changes are included in these files? Only the destruction talked about in this thread? Or also the damage tweaks from the previous Psyrgery mod? Anything else? Always found it a little annoying as there are multiple versions of these files going around and nobody ever lists what exactly is and is not included in them...
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Re: [REQUEST]Can the visual damage be tweaked to match the Reincarnation pre-alpha style?

Post by Sleep Dirt »

For anyone who browses this zone for a damage revamp, I’ll be releasing a beta overhaul in the next few weeks, maybe sooner if time gets on my side!

Primarily removing the goofy/novelty factors plaguing the stock crushing physics, also making heavy crushed areas less of a scramble of triangle shards, and other many things.

So check back soon :saston:

EDIT: Well, time really didn't get on my side, at all hahaha!

Progress is happening though, only 10 cars left for the first wave of approximate balancing, so hopefuly get through them all within the next few weeks :smile:

EDIT2: Haha it's getting there, did a heap more messing about, massively improved the way panels ruffle and crease, eats CPU power though. Release really is coming soon.
The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.

Check who’s online