Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[Tool] Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Minge v5.20 - Now Supports GOG versions of Max Damage

Get the latest version here: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/tools/MingeV5.20.zip

Minge v5.12 - Now Supports Max Damage

Get the latest version here: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/tools/MingeV5.12.zip

Minge v4.1 released

v4.1
Fixed UI bug which apparently numerous people have been silently suffering with, thanks to Ender for pointing this out.
Added a better update dialog with change log support.
Minor update but a big version number leap as there was a typo in the version checker which made the previous version think it was v4 instead of v3. Oops. Anyway, grab it from the usual place and PLEASE report any bugs which you find, I can't fix them if I don't know about them!

Minge v3.0 released

v3
Game Options & Launching
ZAD Extracting
LOL Decoding
Fix for the number culture
Once again, you should be notified about the new version the next time you start it up, else grab it from the usual space: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/tools/Minge.rar

Minge v2.5 has just been released

Change log
v2.5
Supports mods with ZIP file extensions to work with the latest version of C:R
Automatically renames all ZAD files in the CarMODgeddon folder to ZIP
Packaging mods now uses TDX files for textures unless you explecitly tell it to convert textures to IMG format.
No more DLLs, Minge is now just a single EXE
Minge should automatically tell you the update is available and offer to download it. Otherwise grab it from here: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/tools/Minge.rar

Please note that v1.0 will crash when it checks for an update as it doesn't support decimal points in version numbers, but no one should be using v1.0 any more anyway, sooo...

v2.0 Update

Just released Minge v2.0, here is the changelog:

New mod install process
- List of mods to install
- Improved Drag & Drop support
- Progress bar
- Choose whether the ZAD is copied to the CarMODgeddon folder or moved there
- Log shows after mods are installed so you can see if you tried to install something which isn't a CarMODgeddon mod
Mod Packager should detect the type of mod better
Version numbers now support decimals
Huffman compression for IMG files
Ability to delete mods
Minge should automatically tell you the update is available and offer to download it. Otherwise grab it from here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/tools/Mingev2.rar

Original Post

Here it is, the tool you've all been waiting for: MINGE! Most of you will use it for installing mods and turning them on or off and some of you will use it for packing up vehicles, wheels and levels, an invaluable tool for anyone interested in mods.

Remember that this tool only installs CarMODgeddon mods, not the old style of mods which you used to place in the ZAD folder. Just drag a CarMODgeddon mod's ZAD file onto the Minge window and it will install it to the correct place, then tick it's checkbox and click save to make the game use the mods.

Using CarMODgeddon mode you can play multiplayer with mods, but currently the game only lets you play multiplayer with people using the EXACT SAME mods enabled as you. If either of you have, say, an extra car or wheel enabled then the game will give you a data mismatch error. Hopefully this will be fixed in coming updates to the game.

Download it from my brand new (work in progress) website here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/Tools/Minge

Here is the readme:

Minge Readme wrote:Minge is a tool for Carmageddon: Reincarnation to install, manage and package CarMODgeddon mods.

Features:

* Manage which mods are active in CarMODgeddon mode.

* Automatically create the necessary folder structure and config file for CarMODgeddon.

* Drag & Drop support for installing Mods.

* Package Mods with additional metadata for Minge to use.

* Automatic conversion of TDX textures to IMG format

* Automatically fix HUD Damage Indicator

Install & Setup:

1: Unpack to some folder somewhere

2: Run Minge.exe

3: Direct the game to your Carmageddon: Reincarnation folder

Installing Mods:

1: Run Minge

2: Drag your Mod's ZAD file on top of Minge's window

Enabling & Disable Mods:

1: Tick or untick the Mods you wish to enable or disable from the Vehicles, Levels or Wheels panels

2: Click save.

3: Start the game in CarMODgeddon mode and use your mods.

Special thanks to Stainless for making such an awesome and moddable game and providing answers to my many questions; and to Errol for being a genius and doing all the hard work reverse engineering all the game's file formats and for putting up with me wasting his time on the IMG format!

a.k.a. Brent
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

It works really well, thanks a lot for your hard work!
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

till now i've used JSGME but this looks more appropriate
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks for all your hard work on this Trent. I'd best get cracking with packaging up my cars :)
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Yeah Trent could i make a suggestion? It would be cool if you make a tick box which selects ALL mods (vehicle or levels respectively). I mean, ticking all your c1 takes time
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

hazardic wrote:Yeah Trent could i make a suggestion? It would be cool if you make a tick box which selects ALL mods (vehicle or levels respectively). I mean, ticking all your c1 takes time
Arrow keys + spacebar can go thru mods and activate them quickly
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

You can just right-click in the the box with the mods and say 'select all' or 'select none' :)
Cynatix
mechanic

Post by Cynatix »

yes, yes, yes, YES!
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

FatCat wrote:Arrow keys + spacebar can go thru mods and activate them quickly
AlexTSK wrote:You can just right-click in the the box with the mods and say 'select all' or 'select none' :)

thanks guys, stupid me
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Thanks in Advance Trent.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Found a very minor bug in Minge.

Use the Eagle for example.

When dragging the file into the Minge window, only the WHEELS show up. Not the actual Eagle. Clicking Save did not make the Eagle show up in the game.

But when I restarted Minge the Eagle AND the Wheels showed up without having me drag and drop..THEN clicking Save made it show up in the game.

Was going to try opening Minge , finding the Carmageddon Directory then shutting ti down, and then restarting it but dont know where the Minge settings file is located. Tried deleting Minge and unzipping new files but didnt work.

Best thing I can tell is ...

If the car DOESNT show up click SAVE anyway

Shut down Minge

Restart it

Then click SAVE again.

And this happens on Windows 10.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Thanks Trent, amazing work as always! When importing the zads though they doesn't show up in the window no matter how long I wait. I need to close and restart program to make them appearing...
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Thanks everyone!

@Twisted, @Starbuck: Hmm, that is odd, it should automatically refresh the entire list after it's copied the ZADs to the correct place. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Did you 2 get the "The following X mods were installed:" message pop up?
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

After a bit of messing around with the 'Mod Installer 'n General Enabler', all I can say is it's awesome.

Only thing, when MINGE converts textures from tdx to IMG, does it not convert the mip-maps across?
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Trent: nope!

Edit: Also, could it be possible to add a delete mod feature when right-clicking? Would be nice.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

'80s Time Warp wrote:After a bit of messing around with the 'Mod Installer 'n General Enabler', all I can say is it's awesome.

Only thing, when MINGE converts textures from tdx to IMG, does it not convert the mip-maps across?

Thanks! And yeah, it doesn't use MipMaps. Errol did offer to figure out adding MipMaps to IMG files and add that into his code, but we decided it wasn't worth the time as the IMG conversion is just a place holder until the game gets patched to fix TDX support in CarMODgeddon.

twisted wrote:Trent: nope!

Edit: Also, could it be possible to add a delete mod feature when right-clicking? Would be nice.

Hmm, in that case it would seem it didn't finish copying everything over, so it wouldn't have refreshed the list. I'll see about adding progress bar and stuff to make it more clear what's going on.

And sure, I'll add in a delete function.
a.k.a. Brent
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Trent wrote:Hmm, in that case it would seem it didn't finish copying everything over, so it wouldn't have refreshed the list. I'll see about adding progress bar and stuff to make it more clear what's going on.

And sure, I'll add in a delete function.

Thank you Trent, appreciated! Cheers!!
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

After a bit of messing around with the 'Mod Installer 'n General Enabler', all I can say is it's awesome.

Thanks! And yeah, it doesn't use MipMaps. Errol did offer to figure out adding MipMaps to IMG files and add that into his code, but we decided it wasn't worth the time as the IMG conversion is just a place holder until the game gets patched to fix TDX support in CarMODgeddon.

Cool. Just wanted to double check. :)

Edit: Strangely Minge doesn't seem to be converting select textures properly. I'm finding on some cars that light textures (sometimes just illuminated light texture and sometimes all) are not being recognised, despite the IMGs being present. So far it has only happened on light textures, everything else is fine.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

'80s Time Warp wrote:Edit: Strangely Minge doesn't seem to be converting select textures properly. I'm finding on some cars that light textures (sometimes just illuminated light texture and sometimes all) are not being recognised, despite the IMGs being present. So far it has only happened on light textures, everything else is fine.
Very strange. Could you zip up the original folder and the Minge packed ZAD and send it my way so I can have a look?
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:Thanks everyone!

@Twisted, @Starbuck: Hmm, that is odd, it should automatically refresh the entire list after it's copied the ZADs to the correct place. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Did you 2 get the "The following X mods were installed:" message pop up?

No. Havent messed with it since . Too busy driving all the cars.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Edit: Strangely Minge doesn't seem to be converting select textures properly. I'm finding on some cars that light textures (sometimes just illuminated light texture and sometimes all) are not being recognised, despite the IMGs being present. So far it has only happened on light textures, everything else is fine.

Very strange. Could you zip up the original folder and the Minge packed ZAD and send it my way so I can have a look?

On the way. It'll take some time to upload though. Will PM you the link
vampsinthe78
mechanic

Post by vampsinthe78 »

@Trent I've taken a look at your great Minge and I'm running into a problem. Once I've picked the installation directory it opens fine, but whenever I pick a zad (one of Fatcat's awesome vehicles) it doesn't seem to do anything at all. Tried both drag and drop and the Import Mod dialogue. I thought it might be an issue with the downloaded mod, but they work when I drop them into the zad folder manually! Does Minge need admin rights or short directory paths?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Hmm yeah I think it may need to be run as admin if your steam directory is in Progam Files, I hadn't actually thought about that.

I've got an update in the works to improve the import process and fix the img conversion bug Mike mentioned, so I will look into making it automatically request admin privelages on launch to avoid this potential pitfall.
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Just a quick update:

• I've fixed a bug Starbuck encountered when packing mods where it would mangle file names which had spaces or anything other than alphanumeric characters and underscores.

• Errol is working on Huffman encoding for the IMG files which should fix the bug Mike and Alex both encountered with it creating duff IMG files when it could compress less than 50% of the image's pixels, which should be done by the time I'm ready release this update.

• You can now right click on a mod and delete it from Minge, I'll be adding support for multiple selection too.

• I've redone the import procedure so you can clearly see the import progress, I'll also be adding an option to move the files rather than copying them in case you want to conserve file space, I will pretty up the list of mods so you can more easily see what mods you're installing and I will have it display an optional log of what was installed and what wasn't, in the case where you try to install a Legacy Style ZAD instead of a CarMODgeddon ZAD or if you try to install something which isn't even a ZAD :)

a.k.a. Brent
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

I see great stuff in the works! Nice one Trent :)
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

This is excellent news. Thanks Trent :)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Cool you got that "space" thing solved. Glad it wasnt a windows 10 issue.

good work.
Trent
mindless

Minge: The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

Post by Trent »

Here it is, the tool you've all been waiting for: MINGE! Most of you will use it for installing mods and turning them on or off and some of you will use it for packing up vehicles, wheels and levels, an invaluable tool for anyone interested in mods.

Remember that this tool only installs CarMODgeddon mods, not the old style of mods which you used to place in the ZAD folder. Just drag a CarMODgeddon mod's ZAD file onto the Minge window and it will install it to the correct place, then tick it's checkbox and click save to make the game use the mods.

Using CarMODgeddon mode you can play multiplayer with mods, but currently the game only lets you play multiplayer with people using the EXACT SAME mods enabled as you. If either of you have, say, an extra car or wheel enabled then the game will give you a data mismatch error. Hopefully this will be fixed in coming updates to the game.

Download it from my brand new (work in progress) website here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/Tools/Minge

Here is the readme:
Minge Readme wrote:Minge is a tool for Carmageddon: Reincarnation to install, manage and package CarMODgeddon mods.

Features:
* Manage which mods are active in CarMODgeddon mode.
* Automatically create the necessary folder structure and config file for CarMODgeddon.
* Drag & Drop support for installing Mods.
* Package Mods with additional metadata for Minge to use.
* Automatic conversion of TDX textures to IMG format
* Automatically fix HUD Damage Indicator

Install & Setup:
1: Unpack to some folder somewhere
2: Run Minge.exe
3: Direct the game to your Carmageddon: Reincarnation folder

Installing Mods:
1: Run Minge
2: Drag your Mod's ZAD file on top of Minge's window

Enabling & Disable Mods:
1: Tick or untick the Mods you wish to enable or disable from the Vehicles, Levels or Wheels panels
2: Click save.
3: Start the game in CarMODgeddon mode and use your mods.

Special thanks to Stainless for making such an awesome and moddable game and providing answers to my many questions; and to Errol for being a genius and doing all the hard work reverse engineering all the game's file formats and for putting up with me wasting his time on the IMG format!
a.k.a. Brent
Darkhuskey
pedestrian

Post by Darkhuskey »

I'm running into the same issue as vampsinthe78 and running as admin doesn't seem to have any effect at all.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Darkhuskey wrote:I'm running into the same issue as vampsinthe78 and running as admin doesn't seem to have any effect at all.
It turns out Vampsinthe78's problem was he was trying to install an old style mod, not a CarMODgeddon mod. If you open up the ZAD in your favourite ZIP software and see Data_Core then the mod is not compatible with CarMODgeddon.
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Just released Minge v2.0, here is the changelog:

New mod install process
- List of mods to install
- Improved Drag & Drop support
- Progress bar
- Choose whether the ZAD is copied to the CarMODgeddon folder or moved there
- Log shows after mods are installed so you can see if you tried to install something which isn't a CarMODgeddon mod
Mod Packager should detect the type of mod better
Version numbers now support decimals
Huffman compression for IMG files
Ability to delete mods
Minge should automatically tell you the update is available and offer to download it. Otherwise grab it from here: http://trent.incarnated.co.uk/downloads/tools/Minge.rar
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Awesome new Trent. Huffman compression seems to be doing the trick :)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Tested it and "auto refresh" works. No need to restart.

Looks like the names are proper after zadding.

I like the Move/ Copy choices too.

Thats all the testing I did.

Thanks. Good work.

Please help me with that question in the map making thread I have.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Update should be coming in an hour or so, it will automatically rename mods from .ZAD to .ZIP, etc. and let modders pack mods using TDX textures instead of IMG textures now the bug has been fixed.
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Minge v2.5 has just been released

Change log
v2.5
Supports mods with ZIP file extensions to work with the latest version of C:R
Automatically renames all ZAD files in the CarMODgeddon folder to ZIP
Packaging mods now uses TDX files for textures unless you explecitly tell it to convert textures to IMG format.
No more DLLs, Minge is now just a single EXE
Minge should automatically tell you the update is available and offer to download it. Otherwise grab it from here: http://www.carmatools.com/downloads/tools/Minge.rar

Please note that v1.0 will crash when it checks for an update as it doesn't support decimal points in version numbers, but no one should be using v1.0 any more anyway, sooo...
a.k.a. Brent

Check who’s online