Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[HowTo] Changing Default Controls (Key Mapping)

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Fuel
speed freak

Post by Fuel »

*Updated 19/02/15 for Beta release*

A quick tutorial for those that wish to change their controls.

Rebindable keys are semi-implemented in the Beta but currently don't save properly after exiting the game. The following method still works for saving your personal key map.

This process will likely need to be done after each update/patch. I would advise keeping a copy of the relevant Controls_xxxx_Default.txt file to make it easier to change after a patch.

1. Go to the ZAD folder in your Carmageddon Reincarnation root folder. *Beginner's Tip* right click on the game in your steam list, select 'properties' then select the 'local files' tab and click on 'browse local files' - this will take you to the root folder for C:R

2. Open the scripts.zad file with an archive program of your choice. For this guide I will be referring to WinRAR as that's what I use.

3. Navigate to Data_Core/Setup/ in the archive

4. Open the Controls_PC_Keyboard_Default.txt file

5. Change the keys you wish to use for the required control. For example if you wish to have the Insert button as recover, as per classic Carmageddon, add 'PC_Insert' under the header [Recover]. You can either replace the default control that is already there or simply add it as well as the default control.

6. Once finished, save the file and confirm that you wish to update it in the archive when WinRAR asks you to

*UNTESTED* Since Beta release there are now separate setup .txt files for controllers, keyboard and mouse. If you wish to change any mouse controls or controller controls I assume the same process can be applied to those files.

IMPORTANT - Keys can be assigned multiple times for many actions.

I personally changed accelerate, brake, turn left and right to the numpad buttons ala Carma 1 but I forgot to change their default assignment. This led to the camera view changing everytime I wanted to turn the car.. You have been warned!
nobby
Stainless

Post by nobby »

Thanks Fuel... Stickied!
I was in the war.
jakstak
pedestrian

Post by jakstak »

Hi :)

Can i use the above info to config a gamepad?

I have one of the six axis controllers but im unsure what to put in the file,

Most seem obvious like X360_ DPAD LSTICK_ but im wondering what one to use for

the gamepads buttons, Any clues for this newbie please

Thank you

JS :)
Fuel
speed freak

Post by Fuel »

Hi jakstak.

It should be possible to change gamepad controls. Unfortunately I haven't personally had need to change these controls yet so I'm not sure which commands relate to which buttons on a controller. Looking at the txt file things like R2 and L2 should be obvious (the triggers), L1 and R1 should be the bumpers above the triggers.

It's the BUT_A, BUT_B, BUT_C commands that I'm not sure which buttons they would relate to on anything other than a 360 pad.

I'll try to look into this a bit more and see if I can figure something out.

edit:

OK, on a 360 pad A=BUT_A B=BUT_B Y=BUT_C X=BUT_D. In other controller terms I GUESS that would mean that the bottom button is BUT_A, top button is BUT_C, right button is BUT_B and left button is BUT_D.
jakstak
pedestrian

Post by jakstak »

Hi Fuel :)

Thanks very much for the info, I will try again soon and see if i can get it to work,

For now im using a little program called joy2key and that's getting me my carma fix,

I do like to use the keyboard for carma but it makes my shoulders hurt after a while

Cheers

JS :)
ZaLiTHkA
pedestrian

Post by ZaLiTHkA »

Definitely very handy info. I used this trick for a long time with the alpha, and now it's handy again with the beta too.. :)

And on the beta note, the file seems to have been renamed. The relevant file in scripts.zad is now called Controls_PC_Keyboard_Default.txt. Might be worth noting in the OP.
Fuel
speed freak

Post by Fuel »

Thanks for the info, will update as necessary for the Beta.

Check who’s online