Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Flummery v0.3.8.9

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
FatCat
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by FatCat »

Fair enough but man, how will you make a complex-enough mesh for crushing to look good, by making hundreds upon thousands of tiny dots that you painstakingly align? Do you know that other modelling suites can do smooth shapes much faster and more efficiently with subdivision? What about using a brush tool to flatten smooth surfaces out, this doesnt sound good to you? You'd really rather copy a dot, place it, then fill in a "single" triangle? Did you know that quads exist and that they're magnificient? Did you know that you can render textures to have ambient occlusion on them to look more realistic ingame from the get go?

Wh...what about raytracing, have you never wanted to taste the wonderful photorealism that a properly-lit raytraced scene gives?
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

fatcat wrote:Did you know that you can render textures to have ambient occlusion on them to look more realistic ingame from the get go?

Wh...what about raytracing, have you never wanted to taste the wonderful photorealism that a properly-lit raytraced scene gives?

He already mentioned that.

'80s Time Warp wrote:3dsmax then steps in to fill in the gaps that Zmod can't fill (vertex colours, lighting, rendering/AO/Baking, etc)
Preference is preference.
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Fair enough but man, how will you make a complex-enough mesh for crushing to look good, by making hundreds upon hundreds of tiny dots that you painstakingly align? Do you know that other modelling suites can do smooth shapes much faster and more efficiently? What about using a brush tool to flatten smooth surfaces out, this doesnt sound good to you? You'd really rather copy a dot, place it, then fill in a "single" triangle?
As I said previously, 3dsMax steps in to fill the blanks/gaps with lighting, rendering, AO etc.

You don't create meshes in Zmod only through drawing splines in the shape of a single triangle, then filling it and copying it over and over, that is ghastly, inefficient and not how I do it. Start with a primitive (usually a plane or box), then cut in the geometry required. It's great for fundamental work and that's it. I'm not claiming that it's great for anything else, it's a simple tool, I use it to the peak of it's effectiveness, and then move over to max to polish off (SG, AO, etc).

With regards to doubts over mesh complexity, I direct you to everything I've ever built. I put the vert's exactly where I want them to be to define the shape & make at exactly as smooth as I want, I don't like the idea of letting an automated process do that.

Did you know that quads exist and that they're magnificient? Did you know that you can render textures to have ambient occlusion on them to look more realistic ingame from the get go?

Wh...what about raytracing, have you never wanted to taste the wonderful photorealism that a properly-lit raytraced scene gives? Zmod cant really do those things...

As I said previously, "3dsmax then steps in to fill in the gaps that Zmod can't fill (vertex colours, lighting, rendering/AO/Baking, etc)."

As for quads, yes I know they exist and with most complex shapes - you're likely to end up with a triangle or two somewhere, and from my POV, there's no point of building a model out of both.

As Alex has Ninja posted me, It's just my preference. :)
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

v0.3.7.0

FBX Import: Correctly imports UVs, handles FBX files from Visual Studio 2013

Tools > General > TDX Convertor: Various improvements

Improved handling of UV2 channel. Fixes issues with certain materials.

Save As... > Carmageddon Reincarnation > Vehicle: Dialog tidied up and fixed the generated vehicle_setup.cfg file

Added support for different node types. While this is mostly under-the-hood at the moment there is a fancy Light widget to fiddle with stock lights.

Vastly reduced memory consumption when loading levels.

Correctly generate tri-strips when saving MDL files

Overhauled the right-hand panel to use contextual widgets. These can be rolled-up by clicking the headers.

Far too many minor improvements to list

Repackaged the exe so you don't have to worry about all those weird dlls.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

Much appreciated changes and fixes Errol! Thanks very much :)
Gravedrinker
hit n run

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Gravedrinker »

Thanks a lot Errol, great work.
Twitter/Instagram: @Gravedrinker
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

v0.3.7.1 released!

Changelog:

* FBX Import: Materials are no longer created multiple times

* FBX Export: Meshes following null nodes now export as expected

* FBX Export: Null nodes now export at all

* MDL Export: Meshes are split into MaterialGroups, optimised and tested for non-manifold properties automatically

* Object > Rename: No longer causes odd node names in the overview

* Object > Data > Add/Change Type: You can now change node types on the fly

* Save as > Vehicle: Improvements to the look and feel of this dialog
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

Smashing baby!
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

AlexTSK wrote:Smashing baby!
Now I am going to say that statement throughout the whole game "Take it all baby" "Do I make you feel randy ?" "There goes something up your tail pipe"

"* FBX Export: Null nodes now export at all" (typo ?)
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Nope, just me being silly. It is a bit of a joke based on the previous changelog entry.

edit:

Running a little behind where I wanted to be so I thought I'd tease the next release...

starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

I see it Errol. Thanks. Been checking every 5 minutes :)

Oh sorry thought you posted the program already :)
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Sorry starbuck, I was hoping to get everything shipshape for a release this evening but I've run out of time.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

I blame myself. All I saw was an update from Errol and the words Flummery 3.7.2 . Then posted without reading to save you from having to post in two different threads.

I am just glad you are inches away instead of miles.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

v0.3.7.2 released!

Changelog:

* FBX Export: Vertex colours now exported

* FBX Export: Fixed duplicate node name collisions

* Save as > Vehicle: Completely overhauled. Now generates a minge file and a CarMODgeddon ready ZAD.

* Save as > Level: Completely overhauled. Now generates a minge file and a CarMODgeddon ready ZAD.

* View > Preferences: You can configure your Author name and website (used in minge files) on the Misc tab

* Tools > Carmageddon 2 > Process for Carmageddon Reincarnation: Applies all the necessary steps for converting an asset from C2 to C:R
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

Thanks Errol !
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

I like what I see; despite the need for manual placement!

Edit: Is this the right thread for map shots?

Sunset by the old SCI-gn
So much work to be done...
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Manual placement?
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

Errol I just made Junkyard without any other LOL files or anything but doing what you said.

And there are powerups in the map !!! Cool.

And just in case you are surprised I was using the Junkyard template from your site.
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

Errol wrote:Manual placement?
By that I meant Powerups; peds and such. Even the AI just sat there; I think they need a starting point. I used the C1 to C2 conversion from ToxicRagers.

Edit: You ARE Errol; of TR... I feel dumb now...
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Indeed I am! I should really update that site.

Unfortunately X-Ray and I didn't port the powerup positions from C1 to C2 when we made the level ports otherwise they'd automatically be configured for you (as starbuck just discovered with a C2 map conversion).

Peds are easy as pie (take a look at pedfile.xml) but they might not begin spawning until a weird bzn file is generated. Let me know if this is the case and I'll take a crack at reverse-engineering that file format. And yeah, the AI won't move until you start configuring the routes. They're a lot more straight forward compared to C1 and C2, I may even be able to knock something together to auto-convert them at some point.

Let me know if you run into any problems (and I'll fix the sun being too red in the next build (and the sky not existing))
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

The junkyard file looks like it was already preprocessed in Plaything2 (you know the PP 01 000 001 1234 codes) so that might have something to do with it.

It could also be mixed with the version I unzipped last week. I would have to find out which one.

Anyway here is the file in C2 format http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01394616930636833634 in case you want to look and see why.

The Acid Reign one didnt seem to have powerups. Could be cause I think Carma1 had a different text file format for modification ?
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

Errol wrote:Indeed I am! I should really update that site.

Unfortunately X-Ray and I didn't port the powerup positions from C1 to C2 when we made the level ports otherwise they'd automatically be configured for you (as starbuck just discovered with a C2 map conversion).

Peds are easy as pie (take a look at pedfile.xml) but they might not begin spawning until a weird bzn file is generated. Let me know if this is the case and I'll take a crack at reverse-engineering that file format. And yeah, the AI won't move until you start configuring the routes. They're a lot more straight forward compared to C1 and C2, I may even be able to knock something together to auto-convert them at some point.

Let me know if you run into any problems (and I'll fix the sun being too red in the next build (and the sky not existing))

Thanks for your help; haven't seen anything yet, although I do have a few other (Car-Related) problems...

I still don't know how to place wheel nodes in Flummery. I even looked over an existing car from Reincarnation; and I cannot seem to understand it!

Did the menu names change? Am I that stupid? (Probably... I bet it's really simple.) I'm using 3.7.2. I know that deleting the wheel model is required and it loads separately; but...
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

OK Minor bug. I crashed into the "blank" side of a double sided texture in Junkyard. It was that long concrete wall. The "city" side was blank. No big deal but you owe me a new car :)

While I am at it is FBX export supposed to include textures too ? Cause in MAX 2015 I get just the model.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

starbuck wrote:OK Minor bug. I crashed into the "blank" side of a double sided texture in Junkyard. It was that long concrete wall. The "city" side was blank. No big deal but you owe me a new car :)

While I am at it is FBX export supposed to include textures too ? Cause in MAX 2015 I get just the model.

Flummery generates basic, default materials (the .mt2 files), you'll need to go through them and configure them as appropriate (this is currently done using notepad/text editor of your choice).

When exporting to FBX it will generate .dds files for every texture referenced by the FBX. Although there is little point exporting to FBX if you're going to be using Max. Just use trents scripts to import directly.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

Trents scripts needs a rocket scientist. :) Seriously I will try it once my headache goes away.

The m ost I ever got was it failed at "xmlDoc.load (folder+materialName+".MT2")" even though the names of all the files are in the base folder

I was hoping to use some program to export it to so I can for example fix those walls on both sides.

To use notepad what would I do ? Open the FBX file and for example change the letters mt2 to something else.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

You don't need to edit the geometry to make the fences double-sided, you just need to edit the appropriate material (the .mt2 files). These files can be opened in your text editor of choice.

I think you can make them double-sided by just adding "" on the line below "" but I'm not 100% sure. It has been over a year since I fiddled with materials.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

I just realized you were talking about the MT2 files after a little thinking.

Your suggestion though made the textures passable from the blank side though :)

But I will look around and find one to look at later since they are text editable.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Right, forget the FBX, ok? You don't need it to achieve your goals so just forget it even exists.

Let us say that you've opened your Carma 2 act file, clicked "Process for Carmageddon Reincarnation" and "Saved as Level".

In that folder you've just saved to are a lot of files, many of them will be .mt2 files. These are the files you can open in notepad and these are the files you need to edit to make the materials do what you want.

I'm not going to try to support Trent's maxscripts as I don't have 3ds max.

You say you get an error when "importing the CNT file". Which CNT file?
farellfoxx
driver

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by farellfoxx »

This is going to sound similar to another question; but it isn't, technically.

How do I make Wheels? As in: the model of a wheel; and the setup for it to be 'attached' to the car. I've got the placeholders... now I need wheels.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

I think the basic approach is to take an existing wheel and replace the rim.mdl with your new rim. Alex has created entirely new wheels (tyres and their punctured states too) so he is probably the best to give you the run down.

Sorry chap, I just write the tools!
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

farellfoxx wrote:This is going to sound similar to another question; but it isn't, technically.

How do I make Wheels? As in: the model of a wheel; and the setup for it to be 'attached' to the car. I've got the placeholders... now I need wheels.

Feel free to send me a PM :)
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

The CNT file i am trying to open up is the level.CNT file. Its like no matter what format I try to re-open the file in it doesnt work. All I can do is start from scratch.

After going to "File Save As Level" when I open the level.CNT file I get this http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dakoli&s=8#.VauTSK3sZkp. In both Flummery and Trents scripts. No offense intended if it was only Trents scripts I would probably start a "How does Trents scripts work" thread. But I read somewhere that he is using your code to make his scripts, pretty sure that was how he worded it.

I cannot reopen that file unless I go back to to square one "open Carma2 file". Anything created from Flummery just seems like a wasted file except when opening the track in CR. At least texture wise.

There is no way for example to save a "Flummery file" with textures that existed after the "File Save as level" action.

So if it were for example a file that I created I would always have to go back to square one. Feels like the days when we had to go to "ASCtoASE" or when we were using Bemax.

There is no way to continue where you actually left of I guess is what I am saying.

hope that makes sense I just woke up. Wish I could be in the same mode I was last nite. :)
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

I've just tried reopening two different maps I've created and both open fine. Open Flummery, File > Open > Carmageddon Reincarnation > Environment... select your level.cnt in the folder you "save as level" to.

Screenshot any error you get (preferably with the details tab expanded) and also pastebin your flummery.log.

Cheers.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

When I get my head together I will reply later in the day to reconfirm. EDITED my above post minorly.

Log so far is empty. gotta go.
starbuck
kill boss

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by starbuck »

OK my wife is going to be late, thank god.

So I did all the stuff and saved the level file.

I then opened the CNT WITH the original map in the window , so now I got two maps. The CNT file opened fine.

But when I hit New and started a fresh version of Flummery I got this...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=79969223499798414042

The Flummery log and the image of the error are inside the zip. And the map is in there too.

FYI This does NOT include the redtop.mt2 file I tried editing like we discussed. I removed that file and started from scratch.

Oh and the powerup textures are not in the original map folder yet "usebarrel, minespike, minebody" etc according to flummery. I could look for those and load them by hand later. Forget this part. I found the missing powerup textures and they showed up in Flummery. Error still happened.

Check who’s online