Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

So, how's about that Linux game?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
ToreadorVampire
mechanic

Post by ToreadorVampire »

As I do, every few months I log in, take a look around and ask about the game I backed 5 years ago.

Here's a fresh opportunity for anyone from Stainless to add an official line on the Linux/Max versions. I know the "we are committed to producing" line already, but that not feeling like any kind of commitment at all without a deadline or even target date, especially not when other projects which weren't promised in the KS are taking priority. So far I've had zero return on the $150 KS backing.

Are we still in a state of perpetual "eventually, you'll get a game" or is there some kind of actual plan for delivery now?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

And yet there is a Linux post right below yours.

Reminds me of the web saying "Black Ops 2 compatibility news" and seeing it may come out this month maybe not, we dont know because its a third party game, But Thanks for falling for the link.

It will show up on day, give it time. It could just pop up out of no where.
Car-o-line
pedestrian

Post by Car-o-line »

Ok just a small question:
When will you keep your promise and release the DRM-free Linux version for backers?

Because that is the reason I gave you my money.

Please, no funny bullshit answer, I want an serious reply I can trust on.

Unfortunately, you don't seem to answer support tickets concerning backer's matters...:-(
Privata
turbo bastard

Post by Privata »

The reason is because there is no ''final'' version of CMD.

In order to port the game they would need a version that is not going to change often.

CR had a few major changes in its life and CMD was one of them.

Porting is hard , so they are going to do it on the most stable and up to date version of the game possible , otherwise that would just mean a lot of work everytime they fix or enhance something.

Its not a happy answer , and it is fustrating.

I do not know when it will happen but it will happen. my current guess is that there are some final tweaks to CMD they want to do before porting it and then moving on to content DLC (if they even follow that path at all)

My view on the situation , not just the mac or linux version but also the PC is that they expected a lot more sales than what they actualy got and that might have slowed everything down a bit.

During the days of CR there was a lot of talk of DLC , it felt like the plan was a never ending sea of content updates and DLC , but so far that has yet to happen.

I understand its not optimal but can it not be run via wine or bootcamp (or what not?)
KaptainUfolog
mechanic

Post by KaptainUfolog »

Privata wrote:The reason is because there is no ''final'' version of CMD.

In order to port the game they would need a version that is not going to change often.
The single word: bullshit.

Why its bullshit? Because the only thing need to be ported is the engine, especially graphical engine! Cross-platform engine have no need for waiting unchangeable final version. The only serious thing to be implemented is the Vulkan based rendering engine. It will work absolutely identical on any platform with most of drivers without any change of code - just compile it and get great result. GNU/Linux has great Vulkan driver called RADV (its a part of standard MESA library), other significant platforms has also Vulkan support. Other code should me mostly cross-platform (may be developers need to port netcode using SDL2 library). Testing before releasing a next version is pretty easy for a good cross-platform code
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

KaptainUfolog wrote:
Privata wrote:The reason is because there is no ''final'' version of CMD.

The single word: bullshit.

Why its bullshit? Because the only thing need to be ported is the engine, especially graphical engine! Cross-platform engine have no need for waiting unchangeable final version. The only serious thing to be implemented is the Vulkan based rendering engine. It will work absolutely identical on any platform with most of drivers without any change of code - just compile it and get great result. GNU/Linux has great Vulkan driver called RADV (its a part of standard MESA library), other significant platforms has also Vulkan support. Other code should me mostly cross-platform (may be developers need to port netcode using SDL2 library). Testing before releasing a next version is pretty easy for a good cross-platform code

I cant remember how long was it from V! (the lousy framerate) and V2 (the Xbox version code )?

I am beginning to think they release the better PC version right before they released the Xbox version.

Since you seem to know more (never coded Linux ever) would it take as much time from "PC better version" to Xbox shelves ? Or shorter ?

I think you dont need no permission to release on Linux do you ? Just a hosting site. (no sellers , no distributors, no stores) right ?

Besides dont they just need a release of "Carmageddon Reincarnation" and NOT Max Damage ? CR was two years ago or so.
KaptainUfolog
mechanic

Post by KaptainUfolog »

starbuck wrote:

I cant remember how long was it from V! (the lousy framerate) and V2 (the Xbox version code )?

I am beginning to think they release the better PC version right before they released the Xbox version.

Since you seem to know more (never coded Linux ever) would it take as much time from "PC better version" to Xbox shelves ? Or shorter ?

I think you dont need no permission to release on Linux do you ? Just a hosting site. (no sellers , no distributors, no stores) right ?

Besides dont they just need a release of "Carmageddon Reincarnation" and NOT Max Damage ? CR was two years ago or so.

They made Xbox One and PS4 versions before the PC version - as i see game consoles is their primary aim. I think they just dont want to do what they must in accordance with kickstarter campaign. C:MD is optimized version of C:R initially planned as a big update for C:R, and for now C:R is abandoned project.
KaptainUfolog
mechanic

Post by KaptainUfolog »

Besides... There was no game updates for very long time at all. So the argument "they need to make ultimately stable version first" does not work.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

KaptainUfolog wrote:
starbuck wrote:

They made Xbox One and PS4 versions before the PC version - as i see game consoles is their primary aim. I think they just dont want to do what they must in accordance with kickstarter campaign. C:MD is optimized version of C:R initially planned as a big update for C:R, and for now C:R is abandoned project.

Well if I remember the largest backer (3.5 mil ?) backed the game so it could make it to console and that could be why the game is "off kilter". I remember them saying it was originally 1 map and 1 car.

I also agree with you "updates" post.
Privata
turbo bastard

Post by Privata »

KaptainUfolog wrote:Besides... There was no game updates for very long time at all. So the argument "they need to make ultimately stable version first" does not work.

They have not finished with CMD.

They have said they will make a port when the PC version is finished.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Privata wrote:
KaptainUfolog wrote:Besides... There was no game updates for very long time at all. So the argument "they need to make ultimately stable version first" does not work.

They have not finished with CMD.

They have said they will make a port when the PC version is finished.

I am beginning to see what Kaptain is saying perhaps they are adding a change here and a change there so they dont HAVE to make a ported version. Next stop "Camageddon Multiple Damage" for the PC with one new car ?

"Carmageddon Reincarnation" WAS finished over a year ago.
ToreadorVampire
mechanic

Four months after I posted this question. Still no updates from Stainless.

If the answer is "no, there is currently zero development resource committed to creating the Mac/Linux versions of the game" then that's an answer at least. Better than being perpetually in the dark about it.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Uhhh... what? The first link was PR fluff about how the Xbox One is to Windows 8 in it's APIs and such, glossing over all finer details and technicalities and taken quite out of context. The real meaning of the quote was: In the best case situation, where everything is done in a way that's compatible with the Xbox One anyway, it will only take a couple of days to get an initial first build up and running when porting from Windows 8. It doesn't mean it only takes 2 days to completely port any game to the console.

The second link purpose of the second link is just confusing. It's talking about installing linux on the original Xbox released over 15 years ago... what's that got to do with anything on this forum?
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:

Uhhh... what? The first link was PR fluff about how the Xbox One is to Windows 8 in it's APIs and such, glossing over all finer details and technicalities and taken quite out of context. The real meaning of the quote was: In the best case situation, where everything is done in a way that's compatible with the Xbox One anyway, it will only take a couple of days to get an initial first build up and running when porting from Windows 8. It doesn't mean it only takes 2 days to completely port any game to the console.

The second link purpose of the second link is just confusing. It's talking about installing linux on the original Xbox released over 15 years ago... what's that got to do with anything on this forum?

Basically if a monkey can do it ... Its been what ? Years ?

There are 3 things I know that people are waiting on. Linux and Macs, the tools, and the goodies, which they have in their office supposedly. And the game disks.

Now they are pushing Carmageddon Crashers ?

Makes me wonder how many years til we get our DRM free versions. When the operating systems cant run them no more ?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

So what you're saying is because in a perfect situation a bare bones port can be working on the latest Xbox in a couple of days, and because people have hacked linux onto the original Xbox, that means it's extremely easy to port Max Damage to Linux...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Yup.
ThomasN
mechanic

Post by ThomasN »

You were scammed. Move on.
Adenzel
pedestrian

Post by Adenzel »

ThomasN wrote:You were scammed. Move on.
I'd tend to agree... however, WHERE THE HELL IS THE LINUX & MAC VERSIONS?!?!?! XD

Surely if the Devs have no clue how to do it they could get Feral Interactive to port it? (Pretty sure they must have contracted out CMD to get that working so well).
Car-o-line
pedestrian

Post by Car-o-line »

Can we please get an update on the development of the Linux Version of this game, or have we been ripped?

I backed this whole thing just to get the Linux version and what do I get? Not even an answer. Shame on you!!
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Will the upcoming Linux Version of Carmageddon: Max Damage support steering controllers? (I'm just kidding.)
ToreadorVampire
mechanic

#12 Submitted: Thu, 22/06/2017 - 17:25

Four months after I posted this question. Still no updates from Stainless.
Now a little over six months since I asked, with no update from Stainless. Not even an acknowledgement of the question.
CrapShoot
mechanic

Post by CrapShoot »

The port is most likely dead, just like the chance me buying from Stainless again.

I could live with them cancelling it, but simply ignoring it to death is just low.

It is not just the port that is dead, kickstarter as a vehicle to fund game development (or even development in general) died during the same timespan.

All just dot-com pipe dreams.

It is a shame. Now we are left with gimmicky greenlight games and buggy big budget titles.
ToreadorVampire
mechanic

A little over 9 months. No update from Stainless.
Car-o-line
pedestrian

Post by Car-o-line »

CrapShoot wrote:The port is most likely dead, just like the chance me buying from Stainless again.

I could live with them cancelling it, but simply ignoring it to death is just low.
I totally agree.
HEY STAINLESS: If you don't do the Linux version, why don't you offer us a copy of the DRM-free Windows-version?

Offering nothing, replying nothing just leaves a bitter taste and encourages thinking bad thoughts concerning your mental health.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

Car-o-line wrote:
CrapShoot wrote:The port is most likely dead, just like the chance me buying from Stainless again.

I totally agree.
HEY STAINLESS: If you don't do the Linux version, why don't you offer us a copy of the DRM-free Windows-version?

Offering nothing, replying nothing just leaves a bitter taste and encourages thinking bad thoughts concerning your mental health.

There is a DRM free Windows version? Anyone backing the kickstarter or through paypal afterwards has received a free key.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Car-o-line wrote:

I totally agree.

They make a game where the object is to run over pedestrians and you are worried about their mental health ? :P

Besides only last week it was 4 bucks for the DRM free version, thats less than lunch money.
ToreadorVampire
mechanic

I can't live with them cancelling it (well, I could, but it means coming away empty handed). I still haven't been able to play any version of Resurrection or Max Damage yet, because I don't own a Windows PC or a console, nor do I wish to emulate/virtualize.

I've (still) had zero return from the Kickstarter so far (despite being a $150 backer). I've been given a few Windows-only Steam keys that I can't use and that's it.

So - if I get a definitive "yes we cancelled it" then I can have some closure. I might grumble and ask for my money back (coz from my perspective the KS never delivered) but at least I'd know there's no reason to keep visiting this forum every few months. If it's in dev then sure, I can hang on. I'm in no massive rush to play it.

I bet that the multiplayer community has all but evaporated now. To just about anyone else this is an old game.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

ToreadorVampire wrote:

I can't live with them cancelling it (well, I could, but it means coming away empty handed). I still haven't been able to play any version of Resurrection or Max Damage yet, because I don't own a Windows PC or a console, nor do I wish to emulate/virtualize.

I've (still) had zero return from the Kickstarter so far (despite being a $150 backer). I've been given a few Windows-only Steam keys that I can't use and that's it.

So - if I get a definitive "yes we cancelled it" then I can have some closure. I might grumble and ask for my money back (coz from my perspective the KS never delivered) but at least I'd know there's no reason to keep visiting this forum every few months. If it's in dev then sure, I can hang on. I'm in no massive rush to play it.

I bet that the multiplayer community has all but evaporated now. To just about anyone else this is an old game.

I am sure the work is just piling up in there just like a horses barn :P I thought it would be a few years more til the DRM free version and one day it just popped up.
CrapShoot
mechanic

Post by CrapShoot »

Well, I am happy to announce that, although it didn't freeze over, it did just get a bit chilly in hell:

Carmageddon Max Damage works in Linux using Valve's Proton / Steam Play compatibility layer!!!

You hear that right. We can now play C:MD in Linux.

Performance is pretty bad at some parts (possibly caused by mesa/radv and my terrible processor) but for the rest it seems to just work.

So props for Valve!
ToreadorVampire
mechanic

We're now 20 months along since the question was asked on this thread (late Feb 2017 to early Nov 2018) and still silence from Stainless.

Despite it being a Kickstarter commitment, there's still no Linux or Mac game, AND no confirmation of whether it's cancelled or actually in development or what.

Check who’s online