Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[WIP] PeterKills (aka Randomtruck)

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Yfrid
hit n run

[WIP] PeterKills (aka Randomtruck)

Post by Yfrid »

Hi everybody! it's been ages since the last time i came here, isn't it?
Thanks to Tosh3 i'm now able to login again :wink:

So you probably know about this truck already from the official carma forum, but anyway i miss this place a lot so i want to show and talk of this WIP mostly here and just update the crucial stuff on carma site.

i'm progressing slow as crap, texturing particularly, and this is where i got now (clickety click!) :

ImageImageImageImageImage

please ignore solid browns and messy wheel. :crazy:

i've used "only" six 256x256 tiffs so far, maybe i can squeeze everything in 10 files (also added a 600tris driver for a total of ~9.2K)!
meanwhile i have some doubts about setting up future fancy stuff since i'm a bit rusted.

i'd like to animate the engine belt to slide on its path (maybe affected by speed like tank tracks funk), make the engine shake a little and have the fan to spin.(and turning head and s.wheel of course) I think i can make it but:

is it possible to make the fan shake with the engine while it's spinning? maybe placing the fan under the engine tree in PT2 (if grooves are even affected by that at all...?)

then about the sliding belt, does it make any difference performance wise if its texture is along the side of a bigger one with other content (engine stuff) rather than its own smaller tiff?

thanks in advice for your attention and keep splatting :cool:
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: [WIP] PeterKills (aka Randomtruck)

Post by coffeycup »

Hey welcome back.

That's looking pretty nice!

I don't think spinning fan can move with rocking engine because of how the rotation axis is defined in the paperwork. At least I don't so.

Sliding fan belt texture should be separate tif too. If its along an edge of a larger tif everything within tif will also slide.

Edit: it's been so long since I've done any of this I probably shouldn't be giving advice. I think you actually might be able to do spinning fan on rocking motor. I've done articulated arms and pumping piston type things using child/parent groupings but I've kinda forgot a lot that I learned. :(
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

thanks, so i'll use every single pixel i can on these bigger textures for static parts only!

i'll better test all the stuff i want to feature on the truck shaping a simple shitbox and check if i can get everything to work the way i'm expecting. (i'm also reading about stuff i had not considered, like dummy triangles as parent of grooves to allow detachable animated parts. really interesting, maybe i'll need such things to get rocking+spinning and the like)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

That truck looks real promising dude. The driver model and interior dashboard have come out real nice. I also think the shading/highlighting on that big metal bumper has worked out real well!

Unfortunately I do not think it is possible to attach a spinning fan to a rocking engine. The fan will probably stay in place, rotating as it should but not doing any rocking along with the engine.

I suppose you can use the sliding belt along with other parts of the car in one texture, as long as the rest of the texture is set to a different material identifier in pt2. But for the sake of performance and editing ease, better to make it separate.

All this has been a long time ago... darn, we should write all this info down somewhere! :syikes:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

... I'm pretty sure the spinning fan will work and rock with its parent engine?!
I mean, we made stuff much more complicated than this.

All in all, the only things you can't really animate with complex grooves are stuff that can't be broken down into routine animations, like a loose element that would react to kinetic energy. It can also be difficult to sync things up depending on what your setup is.

If you're stuck or struggle with anything, just tell us and post your files. We'll sort it out :sbsmile:

Harm: it's all written in our heads! Despite being a little cloudy :sgn:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Hey, your not dead, cool, Will we ever see any more riped stuff? :P Crazy taxi was full of peds, and droneworthy cars, Sonic had... stuff?.. Anyway yeah welcome back, Crazy Taxi peds (i think it even had bikini girls?)

About the fan!, I dont think there will be any problems, Usually the rocking of the engine is so minor, and the fan is spinning too, that you wont really spot the fact that the fan is not connected, On most of my cars with movey engine parts, the fan is just a seprat bit and in my opinion it looks fine.

Id be more worried about the pipes and stuff coming from the block looking odd, thats why my truck Dident actully have a moving engien block, it was going to.. but I deleted that grove,

I really must finish it... even tho its just like a low poly version of yours

Hmm, It just needs some stuff on the rear really, I might jsut do a truck pack... Thanks for startign me back up?! :D might get two trucks on here now.

also nice interior. again, like mine but more detailed :P I guess you modeld from the W900 too huh? heh, I hope it turns out well, and I hope it gets set up well, good luck,

Only question is. whats gona go on the rear? or is it just staying a semi cab?
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

thanks a lot for the feedbacks!
i'm glad you like how textures are turning out, i'm working really hard on these.

yeah maxine, when i''ll complete this truck (or standby for whatever reason, hopefully not) i must dust all these old things, i still have many raw rips from crazy taxy cars, traffic, peds around (a few were almost ready for C2) same goes for sonic stuff. By the way i should then relase a sort of "sonicverse pack" with loads of characters to gib with custom sounds!

about the truck rear i may add lights plate with funks but didn't thought about much else. While the design itself is a frankeistein of trucks i liked :p

TL; DR time!:
At first the idea was to rip Asphalt Cowboy's truck from 18Wheeler:
(i fucking LOVE this game btw) i wanted to rip the Hipoly model you can spot from 0:44 to 0:49 and for a second at 0:54 and 1:10

But that shit is REALLY hipoly. The partial cockpit rip i got was almost 9K alone!! :supercrazy: (the game seems to use it only in these closeups in attract mode and cockpit camera in-game: )

On the other hand the 3rd person low poly model was too much lacking imo. (textures are a blurry compressed mess, no real cockpit, inner side if wheels flat as paper, doors just textured on the sides etc. may be nice for C1, istill have the rip) i had to redesign pretty much everything and made my own from scratch. :tongue:

So i hunted a bunch of reference puctures that looked alike and i got some Peterbilt359 shots (~'70 stuff, plus some random earlier and modern Petes) and some perfect but nameless cockpits (which thanks to maxine question turned out to belong a W900! :lol: ) but i ended up replicating the dashboard closer to the game than the real thing anyway!

by the way, i've seen your trailer mod maxine, brilliant stuff! you can use this truck for it if you want. Replacing the front bumper with a stock one should do the trick
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

yeyah cool, I was indeed wating for rouge and eggman, but then ya gone disspeard, Also I hope ya can manage to make eggman run like a total retard, just like the games :P. hopefully theres a fitting animation..

aslo may I ask, What do you have from crazy taxi? I used to love that game.

Also another of my most played games, 18 wheeler!, allways used to drive asphelt cowboy, and highway cat, Makes me wnat to make a cabover semi truck now :P

anyway yeah back to the truck in progress here, I geuss it works just fine as a semi truck, but is not the chassis a little long? Looks like it would have a sleeper or somethin? :P
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

awww i digged into my old stuff and actually most is gone :(
i may search on some of my loads of old ass HDDs and see if there still some, but at this point may be faster and easier to just make those rips again.

so far the survived stuff from crazy taxy are:
humans:
4 peds (3 girls, 1 guy) Tposed
Axel alone Tposed
Cinnamon alone Tposed (custom UVs)
Angel alone Tposed (messed UVs)
Bixbite alone Tposed (custom UVs)
Zax alone Tposed

cars:
Angel in its car (UVs are ok i guess)
Axel in its car
Zax in its car

all textures are gone though... :T
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Cinnamon ped could be cool! :smile:
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

aw really? Wich peds? :D you know maxi likes human models.. and animal models too, any chacne we can see any of these exported items?

ps. sorry for deraling topic :/

Check who’s online