Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Dinosaurs!

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
coffeycup
Genesis

Dinosaurs!

Post by coffeycup »

Dinosaurs Attack!
Actually, you attack them.

Download here
Doritoskng
driver

Re: Dinosaurs!

Post by Doritoskng »

in these scenes that rover needs to be re-skinned in jurasic park regalia
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

It still needs clean up but.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

lol I was going to tackle that but you beat me to it... i even did image research for good views last night...
Still alive some how
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Awwwwwww, sweet!

You know I'm a huge fan of the Jurassic Park series and everything related...

Even made this one a while back; jexplorer (View in 3D)
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Great work Coffey!

I guess is time to finish my Jurassic Park Trespasser map.

Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Dear Father Coffeymas,

I am sorry that this letter is a little late, But I

would like for Carmachristmas some more dinosaurs.

I would really Like T-rex and Triceratops and maybe even a

Brachiosaurus. And if it was possible to make a Jurasic park Map

I would really be happy. so happy I would make the jurassic park explorer and

Jeep.

Hoping my late Carmachristmas wish comes true.

Pip the pain
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Second that pip,

Masto, is that a remake of the map?

I happen to have all the trespasser maps in 3ds max format, lying and waiting to be converted. I never thought it possible, because the maps are quite heavy on the polycount, but seeing what you did I think we can take small pieces of the maps and put them in c2... :) Textures are all max 256, so the port would be relatively easy. The only thing is that the groundplane built of a 3d model, but the textures are mapped on 2d planes, so you would have to warp them onto the groundplane model or something like that.

Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

What am I supposed to do now? :crazy:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

uh, sorry. I realise now that I pretty much hijacked your idea... I didn't mean to spoil the fun for you, as you are modelling that specific map... :sad:

You can have the models if you want? Are you working in 3ds max or are you still working with car-ed?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Pip: Ho ho ho, well Pip you have been a good boy this year I must say. I think a few more dinos could be fun. I think the T-Rex would use same human biped animation so that jaws can snap. Triceratops could use cow animation and brachiosaurus use elephant so it will rear up on its hind legs!

Mastro: That sounds interesting! Do you have any screens of what you have of your map?

Harm: I don't know why I'm not familiar with Trespasser. (I'll have to find an old demo or something) Anyway, I was hoping this could be a community contribution thread. It certainly seems there's a quite a few who are into dinosaurs and Jurassic Park. I don't know what Mastro has but if you can somehow combine elements or even weld them together for a bigger map?

p.s. Is that one of your paper models of the Explorer?

Now that I've fiddled with that wave animation, I want to do an island map. Might be fun to try a smoking volcano effect..hmm and lava flows. Yeah!

Pip offered to do a proper Ford Explorer version for C2 :smile: and if people want to make other JP type vehicles or skins go nuts!

p.s. I uploaded a new zip with a gorier blood TIFF for the dino. Gruesome!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Coffey; Unfortunately, trespasser was a total sales flop... The game got a lot of critics, mostly for good reason, but the game had so much potential! It's a real shame they had to rush to a release. Still, I find the game real enjoyable, and the dialogues from John Hammond (Richard Attenburough) are awesome. You should play it for sure.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Triceratops
triceratop.jpg
triceratop.jpg (139.79 KiB) Viewed 23374 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Apatosaurus
apatosaur.jpg
apatosaur.jpg (114.14 KiB) Viewed 23362 times
I hope he isn't too big. Boy, these are fun to make. Just start with a good profile image for reference then starting with an octagon keep extruding cross-sections, resizing and rotating sections to line up with image.

In addition to using the COW and ELEPHANT animations there's also the 6 types of ALIEN animations:

alien01 - hops, leg 3 parts
alien06 - upright, leg 4 parts
alien14 - hopper, leg 3 parts
alien19 - gorilla, leg 3 parts
alien24 - tick
alien29 - turkey

Some might be good for creepy crawly type things.
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

like giant bugs?
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

The Dino's look great mate! And love the sound of an island :smile: would it be possible, that if you drove a car into the lava flow it would explode due to the heat?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Thanks! I wasn't sure what the relative sizes were of dinosaurs so found this BBC Nature site that has a great chart

The apatosaurus was pretty close to what it should be. I liked the longer front legs they had so changed mine. My triceratops was too small. Like a cute baby dino, so scaled him up. The Raptor is a little big compared to chart, but so isn't the JP one. Looks more menacing. T-Rex will be next when I can find time this weekend.

Also, I am hoping to reuse a lot of the triceratops to make a stegosaurus, as it's mostly the same body type. Remove frill and horns on head, make head smaller, hips bigger, and plates along spine. Instant Stego.
dinowarehouse.jpg
dinowarehouse.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 23299 times
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...oh wait wrong movie. I used to work for a company that did promotions and sometimes toys. We somehow were pitching JP themed ideas to some client, don't even remember what or who, but Universal sent us CDs with 'JP:The Lost World' reference materials..logos, photos etc.
JP_CDs.JPG
JP_CDs.JPG (171.82 KiB) Viewed 23299 times
Unfortunately, they must be Mac format because they won't open for me now. But luckily my wife has a Mac so I can try on hers. I honest to god cannot remember why there were 5 CDs. There MUST be something usable on them!

Honestly, I liked the JP films, don't know if I'd consider myself a fan. But I do like dinosaurs. This Trespasser map, is it based on the island from the movie? Is it the entire island? Either way, a 'Dino Island' map is something I'd like to do.

Oh, the damaging lava flows. There's probably a few ways to accomplish this. Tosh, Harm and C2S are good at coming up with ideas. At the very least putting a volume box(es) with very high gravity, enough to crush and destroy would work. Add sizzling/burning WAVs and use the water zoom in/out effect to simulate heat rising?? Definitely needs some experimentation.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Unbelievably there was nothing of use on the 5 CDs. Mostly graphic borders, patterns and icons. There were a few illustrations but nothing you couldn't find on the web. There weren't even any JP logos????? Oh well.

I'm still trying to get inspired on the T-Rex. I've been looking for good reference pics of low poly versions. Of the two I like, one is a little too simple and the other usees too many polys. Maybe if I put the two up side by side I can just wing it.

In the meantime.
stegosaurus.jpg
stegosaurus.jpg (174.99 KiB) Viewed 23261 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hairba11 wrote:like giant bugs?
Well, there aren't any with 6 legs, I wish there were. I was thinking lizard type thing that crawls on its belly. I went back and looked again at them all and there's one or two worth using.
family.jpg
family.jpg (263.75 KiB) Viewed 23230 times
The hopping ones are a little dodgy. They have trouble keeping on the ground and float or sink into the ground. But! The odd pink one on the end has a nice 3 piece articulated leg (thigh, shin, foot). The animation has a good high stepping run so I made a Gallimimus so there can be herds running through the valley.
Gallimimus.jpg
Gallimimus.jpg (213.05 KiB) Viewed 23230 times
I know I said I'd do the T-Rex next but meh, I knew what I wanted to do on this one so it only took an evening.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Wow you sure are getting the hang of this. That Gallimimus looks great. Did you make those textures all by yourself?

I don't know why, but those alien models are all new to me. Are they present in the original C2 release? I also didn't know they have special animations. This can be really useful.

Do you mind if I give the T-rex a go with a T-rex model I still have lying around? I ripped it from Trespasser a long time ago, so I took the easy way instead of modelling them myself, but they were supposed to go with my hotroom project (which still needs finishing)

I wonder how tricky it would be to create a whole new animation/bone system. I already tried unraveling the files, but haven't found any systematic in them yet. Didn't Errol work on this at some point?
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Coffey, that Gallimimus looks cool. :smile:

Harm, Do you still have that Explorer model, and if yes is it low poly so it could be used as a drone?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Pip: thanks!

Harm: Thanks on the Gallimimus, no I didn't make the texture. There's so much amazing dino artwork on the web I figured it would be silly to start from scratch. To make the model I started with a good side view I found, cleaned it up and made a second silhoutted version to use making the model. Then when I was done, as long as the model lined up with the silhoutte, I could just project the skin onto the model with almost no effort. For a ped I figured projecting is good enough rather than wrapping.

Yes, you can do the T-Rex, the one in the screenshot looks perfect. Actually it looks like you have a whole collection of dinosaurs, even the ones I just recreated! You should set up a T-Rex and one of his meat-eating cousins. What other dinos do you have from Trespasser? Like Pip said, could that Explorer be setup as a drone or noncar? And the Hot Room map looks interesting, finish it up will ya?

Did a little research and I saw there was a Trespasser demo, but also read, being from 1997, it seems to suffer the same problems Carma does trying to run on modern systems and that you'd need patches and advice from the guys on the Trespasser forums. (sound familiar?) I'm not ready to go down that rat hole! I'll just check out some gameplay youtube vids instead.

According to one of the wikias the Trespasser map is not based on the movie island but uses topographical info from Cocos Island.

So I guess I can either try to do an Isla Nublar map or just say fuck it and come up with my own island. I do want to try some environmental effects like waves, smoke, clouds and flowing lava. Trying to do a believable jungle might be a challenge too. Lots of alpha channeled textures.

As far as gameplay goes, I was trying to think of where would you start out? On the beach? What if you start alone in the cargo hold of a tramp steamer anchored offshore. You drive onto a ferry (side moving platform) and ride it to a dock on the island. (Other AI opponents are already driving around on the island.)

Maybe the cargo ship is explorable? Maybe you're able to take ferry back and forth? Or are you trapped on island?

ETA: Alien animations are not included in standard C2. You need to grab an 'alien patch' to get the BON, MOVE, etc. files. Note: aliens don't seem to support the swapping of heads like the human peds do. At least it crashed when I tried it.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Well it looks like you guys are having fun, Ive been too pissed off with life, and compters for modding latly, but Its fun to see something new here allmsot every day now, this seems to have spawned off a whole dino thing.. so.. yeah Congradulations. youve made a nintendo game.

Ya, but really theres some pretty damn cool work here, even If you did beat me to that Jurasic park landrover skin,
and yeah harm arnt you soposed to be making a toyroom. like in the screenshots rather than a jurasic park map. oh and the forset.. and something like a city or castle if i rember right? :P heh

Keep up the work yous guys!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Pip: yes I still have the model, and yes it could easily be used as a drone. Would be cool to have that driving around on a rail just like in the movies. Idea coffey?

Coffey; I have all the dinos from trespasser. 2 Trexes, 3 verlociraptors, brachiosaurus, stegosaurus, triceratops, allosaurus and the herbifore thing with the weird snout. forgot it's name. They all need work though, legs and shit need to be severed for c2 to work.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Trespasser Explorer
Yeah, the Explorers in the movie are basically drones, mindless vehicles following a track. I think the 'track' would just be a flat texture so it could double as a road to drive on without having a ridge running down the middle of the road.

Trespasser Dinos
Is the plant-eater a Parasaurolophus (I had to look up the spelling) with the crest on its head? I was deciding between the Gallimimus and Parasaurolophus and chose the Gallimimus because of the way it runs. Can you send me the Parasaurolophus and I can break him apart and get him setup. I only have Max 3.1 so a .3DS or a .SKP would be great.

Tramp Steamer
I was still thinking about starting off-shore on a ship when I got home so made an attempt at an old tramp steamer. (textures are not final) I realized it would need to be as big as an aircraft carrier to be really 'exporable'. But I did want to try and make it so that player could get from below deck and take out a few sailors before going out the side door and taking the ferry boat to the island.

I should probably stop where I am and put it into a quick test map to see if it is even drivable before I waste more time. Though I suppose I could always use it as a beached shipwreck if the original idea doesn't work out.

I know they use a helicopter to get to island in the movie but that might be kinda hard to simulate...

Gallimimus
The model is already broken apart and just needs to get imported into PT2 and do the setup. I plan to do that tonight so that there's 2 dinos done.
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Hi, a really quick idea.

So you can use that explorer as a drone so shall I make the gas powered jeep? Problem with Jurassic park is there are not enough cars, though there were more in Jurassic park the lost world.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha! That's cool Pip. That certainly has a more humorous Carma feel.
I guess I have been looking to use this ferry idea for a while and I was trying to get it to work with this. Nice drawing btw. Something swimming in the water would be nice. :smile:

Since this is based on a movie sorta I thought the map might have parts that are more 'cinematic'.
Hear me out. :smile: It would be cool to start out like a Spielberg movie.

In your car, in the hold of a ship, surrounded by boxes, some empty cages and cargo covered in canvas. Above deck are just a few frightened crew that run or jump overboard when you approach. Off in the distance an island. Take ferry that's alongside.
While you're riding on the ferry (sitting on a side moving platform) you're stuck there. So this can play out like a cut scene. Island looms up, volcanic smoke drifting. Helicopters coming and going from somewhere in the jungle. When you get to dock on island there's more wrecked cages.....
GallimimusA.jpg
GallimimusA.jpg (360.89 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Needs a little tweaking, but got him in game.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Boomp, boomp, boomp. And another bites your butt.
Parasaur.jpg
Parasaur.jpg (278.72 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Harm sent me this model from Trespasser. There was a web of skin behind his head under the crescent that I removed. I've seen illustrations with and without webbing. I think it makes a more interesting profile without it.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Haha, so cool! I will do my share tonight :p
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harmalarm wrote:Haha, so cool! I will do my share tonight :p
Have fun and keep your elbows up. :lol:
Pip the pest wrote:So you can use that explorer as a drone so shall I make the gas powered jeep? Problem with Jurassic park is there are not enough cars, though there were more in Jurassic park the lost world.
Oh no you don't. You promised to make a nice JP Explorer. :smile:
We get to drive a nice version while the simpler drones do what drones do. Bump into each other and block the way.

There are more vehicles if you look at all the movies
http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Vehicles
Original designs could be cool too, heck you've already done a vehicle with a cage on back. :twisted:
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Have fun and keep your elbows up. :lol:
didn't get to finishing it yet, but made a start! It has actually been a while since I last touched c2 txt files.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha, that's why I am trying to crank out as many as I can while it's still fresh in my mind.

Going to skin and setup the Stego this weekend and play around with making an island model. I'll probably revisit using Terragen since I can use a grayscale heightmap to generate a landscape. I found an elevation map someone made of Isla Nublar that I am going to try to use as the heightmap.
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

[/quote]Oh no you don't. You promised to make a nice JP Explorer. :smile:
We get to drive a nice version while the simpler drones do what drones do. Bump into each other and block the way.

Hi, yes a promise is a promise. :smile: but is there any kind of deadline or can i finish my previous car first?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

No deadlines. :smile:
And I hope anyone who wants to participate should.
Make a dinosaur hunting vehicle, make a dino ped, make a new map, anything!

Check who’s online