Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Flummery v0.3.8.9

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Flummery v0.3.8.9

Post by Errol »

Flummery v0.3.8.9

The spiritual successor to Plaything 2.

v0.3.8.9 released 2020-05-08
Download here (4.03MB)

v0.3.7.5 released 2015-07-28
Download here (1.86MB)

Notes:
Public beta release. Heavily work-in-progress. Bug reports, feature requests, etc to this thread or the issue tracker.
Source here.

FBX support is improving and imports from Maya and Blender should function as intended. When exporting from Blender please ensure you use these export settings:

Check View > Preferences > Keys for keymappings.

Supports:
* Carmageddon Reincarnation
* Carmageddon
* Carmageddon 2
* Carmageddon Mobile (import only)
* Novadrome (import only)
* Carmageddon PSX (import only)
* TDR2000 (import only)

Changelog

v0.3.8.9
* Fixed several crashes related to TDR2000 msh files
* Fixed TDR2000 scenes being flipped in the X axis
* Fixed C1 cars showing every vertex as a wheel
* Fixed C1 cars not exporting to FBX properly
* Updated all dependencies

History:
► Show Spoiler
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
AlexTSK
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by AlexTSK »

Can't wait Errol, this is excellent news!
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Mr.Deviance »

Errol wrote:Flummery v0.0.1.0

The spiritual successor to Plaything 2.

Supports:

* Carmageddon Reincarnation

* Carmageddon 2

* Carmageddon

* Carmageddon iOS

* Novadrome

Do you really intend to kill plaything 2 with this app and have it become the best way for importing and exporting cars in the old carma 1 and carma 2?

Will it also import/export levels and peds for carma 1 and 2?

Also, what's wrong with the android carmageddon? Is that too different? I would be cool if you could add support for that too instead of just iOS.

I only use android devices since I'm not an apple person so the iOS version would not be useful for people like me.

If this all becomes reality, it could potentially become the most awesome app to ever be released in the whole carmageddon community history.

Maybe in the future we can import both novadrome cars and levels into reincarnation and effectively port novadrome to pc.
Trent
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Trent »

As far as I'm aware the android version and iOS version of C1 are identical from a content standpoint so it doesnt make a difference.

As far as I'm aware, porting Novadrome content to C:R to effectively have a PC version of Novadrome was pretty much the point of the tool supporting it.

The tool is excellent so far even as just a model viewer, it helped me a lot in figuring out how to port the C1 iOS cars to C:R. Errol is a genius.
a.k.a. Brent
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Mr.Deviance »

Trent wrote:As far as I'm aware the android version and iOS version of C1 are identical from a content standpoint so it doesnt make a difference.

As far as I'm aware, porting Novadrome content to C:R to effectively have a PC version of Novadrome was pretty much the point of the tool supporting it.

The tool is excellent so far even as just a model viewer, it helped me a lot in figuring out how to port the C1 iOS cars to C:R. Errol is a genius.

What's really amazing here is that he is planning to support both the old ass carma 1 and carma 2 even though they are most likely a lot different from the ios and reincarnation versions.

Being able to also import both carma 1 and carma 2 levels and cars into reincarnation sounds incredibly awesome.

Until Stainless finishes Reincarnation, we might as well play the pre-alpha in carma 1 and carma 2 levels to lose some time.

That way, we can tell exactly how well the new cars and mechanics of this game hold up in the old carma 1 and 2 levels.
KakkaHousu
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by KakkaHousu »

Cant wait!

But supports Novadrome? Only importing I guess? Is it possible to mod Xbox games?

Does it support export cars to C1 & IOS or only importing? I really want make cars for C1.

Slightly ot but what you modders use now to export cars to C1?
Psyrgery
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Psyrgery »

It would be awesome if there is a way to convert C:R cars into Source models so that we can use them in Source Filmmaker. Carma1 intro HD remake anyone? :D
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
Fuel
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Fuel »

Thanks for your efforts Errol, I'm sure it's appreciated by more people than you know. I'm very much looking forward to trying this out myself. I love just browsing through assets for games and fiddling with things (wow, that last bit sounded a bit weird..). Shame I can never concentrate hard enough to learn to actually do anything useful. Oh well.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Cheers for all the kind words and encouragement chaps.

To answer a few questions...

Mr.Deviance wrote:Do you really intend to kill plaything 2 with this app and have it become the best way for importing and exporting cars in the old carma 1 and carma 2?

Will it also import/export levels and peds for carma 1 and 2?
When I started the first version of Flummery (about 3 years back) this was indeed the goal. Check out my images/misc/ folder for some of the bits and pieces I've been doing, namely flummery001 and flummery002.

Specifically... I can import and export assets for both C1 and C2. I've developed a (mostly unreleased) app called Trixx that can do an awful lot of clever things with PIX files that I'll incorporate into Flummery too.

My idea for maps is to actually allow you to "play" inside the editor. By which I mean drive around the map and interact with it in real time. I find this the best way to place noncars and the like (yes, I've developed something like this for C2, also unreleased).

Mr.Deviance wrote:Also, what's wrong with the android carmageddon? Is that too different? I would be cool if you could add support for that too instead of just iOS.

I only use android devices since I'm not an apple person so the iOS version would not be useful for people like me.

If this all becomes reality, it could potentially become the most awesome app to ever be released in the whole carmageddon community history.

As Trent already said, I only mention Carmageddon iOS as I'm pretty sure all mobile Carmas use the same assets. While I can save things in the format the mobile Carmas use it doesn't seem worth exposing that functionality, is it even possible to mod mobile games?

Mr.Deviance wrote:Maybe in the future we can import both novadrome cars and levels into reincarnation and effectively port novadrome to pc.
I've been working on that! I can read all three formats texture formats used as well as the model/material and content files. So yup, that's the plan.

Mr.Deviance wrote:Being able to also import both carma 1 and carma 2 levels and cars into reincarnation sounds incredibly awesome.
I'm having to do some fancy footwork to knit the multitude of textures into composite files and rewrite the UVs but yes, the plan is to make it pretty straight forward to open C1/C2 assets and save as C:R. As an aside, this knitting might also come in useful for importing assets from other, older games.

KakkaHousu wrote:But supports Novadrome? Only importing I guess? Is it possible to mod Xbox games?
I'll be technically able to export to the appropriate x360 formats but, as you say, I'm unsure as to how to actually get them onto the console. Pretty much the same situation as iOS/Android.

Psyrgery wrote:It would be awesome if there is a way to convert C:R cars into Source models so that we can use them in Source Filmmaker.
I'll be adding a few generic export types (Ascii FBX is my primary goal) and once that's done I can look at more specific export routines. I'd assume the Source model format is pretty well documented so most of my usual effort will be saved!

And Fuel, thanks.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Mr.Deviance »

Wow you've now added even tdr2000 and the ps1 carmageddon import support!

You have definitely been pretty busy lately.

What exactly will Flummery be able to import from tdr2000?

I know nothing about tdr2000's engine so I'm curious what will your tool be able to import from tdr 2000?

Just cars or more than that? Can it also import peds and levels from Tdr2000?

If thats the case, I don't see why we should not import all of tdr2000's content into reincarnation and make that game worthy of being called a carmageddon game.

Will Flummery also integrate Carstockalypse and Mapstockalypse's features in order to finally make them obsolete?

And lastly, I'm curious how will the powerups be handled in the maps.

Will the powerup placement also get imported along with the map, or will we have to manually place the powerups in the imported levels?
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

With TDR2000 support it's pretty backwards. I got maps working but never got around to vehicles, see this thread for where I got up to.

With the TDR2000 to C2 powerup conversion I created a sort of powerup dictionary for both games so powerup A in game A became powerup B in game B. Placing powerups in C2 was non-intuitive but possible (had to name ACT nodes appropriately starting with a £ sign) whereas placing them in C:R is crazy easy.

The PSX import stuff was written quite awhile ago too, I exported the models and textures Toshiba-3 used for his C1 versions. I got the maps working too.

Other games I could import from are Powerslide and Re-Volt but I thought I'd focus on Stainless and Carmageddon games first.

Finally...

Mr.Deviance wrote:Will Flummery also integrate Carstockalypse and Mapstockalypse's features in order to finally make them obsolete?
Probably not. I personally don't use either and those that DO use them probably want something lightweight and dedicated to the task.
Fuel
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Fuel »

Mr.Deviance wrote:Will Flummery also integrate Carstockalypse and Mapstockalypse's features in order to finally make them obsolete?
Just out of interest, what's wrong with Carstockalypse that it even needs to be made obsolete? Honestly never used Mapstockalypse, never saw the need as there were so few add-on maps, in general, and that I personally wanted to try. Manually adding the ones I did wasn't too much of a hassle.

I know it's probably only going to be for C:R but it looks like Trents C.R.A.P. will probably be the new Carstockalypse.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Fuel wrote:I know it's probably only going to be for C:R but it looks like Trents C.R.A.P. will probably be the new Carstockalypse.
And I'd guess that is only until CarMODgeddon is available.
FatCat
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by FatCat »

Woah, that import support list is insane, look at all those games! By the way, could anyone list me to the list of Novadrome cars? I was always a little curious about what was in there but it's such an obscure game that nobody's made a list of them that i know of. :C

In fact, Novadrome in general is way too obscure, i want to know more about it, it has got such a nice art style.
Doctor Fraggington
turbo bastard

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Doctor Fraggington »

Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Doctor Fraggington wrote:STATUS: CHOMPING AT THE BIT
You are a rascal.

Also, while not visually impressive...

I just exported my first working MDL file!

SADFACE EDIT:

Turns out that's the default mesh it uses when your MDL file is malformed :(
HEX1GON
turbo bastard

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by HEX1GON »

Great progress! Tool is looking good. :)
lemonrev
road raged psycho

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by lemonrev »

Great work errol it might not be much to look at but besides the car mods that people have done so far this is the first that we have seen anything close to track related stuff so keep up your good work.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Teehee

I call it the Eagle-747.
FatCat
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by FatCat »

Errol wrote:
I call it the Eagle-747.

It's so shiny! Does it crumple too?
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Mr.Deviance »

FatCat wrote:
Errol wrote:
I call it the Eagle-747.

It's so shiny! Does it crumple too?

I don't think it's shiny. I think it has weirdly aligned textures on it.

Also, wtf this is random as shit lol.

That plane model through the eagle r, I can't make any sense of that image.

Where did that plane model get imported from and why does it go through the eagle?
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

FatCat is correct that it's shiny, I've use the envmap effect used on the Caddy's tailfins.

Also, the 747 is the large drone from the C2 airport levels (my favourite C2 maps) and it's inside the Eagle because I wanted to test the MDL quickly so just replaced a vehicle part (in this instance, the Eagle-R chassis). This allowed me to test if things worked from the UI rather than having to fire up the game.

And in response to FatCat, nope, no crumple yet. Still working on basic mesh things before getting onto crumple things.
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Mr.Deviance »

Errol wrote:FatCat is correct that it's shiny, I've use the envmap effect used on the Caddy's tailfins.

Also, the 747 is the large drone from the C2 airport levels (my favourite C2 maps) and it's inside the Eagle because I wanted to test the MDL quickly so just replaced a vehicle part (in this instance, the Eagle-R chassis). This allowed me to test if things worked from the UI rather than having to fire up the game.

And in response to FatCat, nope, no crumple yet. Still working on basic mesh things before getting onto crumple things.

Aww, so you just to go the car select screen to see if it works, so you don't have to wait through those shitty level load times, I understand now.

I'm curious to see how texturing works on the newly imported models.
Trent
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Trent »

Mr.Deviance wrote:
I'm curious to see how texturing works on the newly imported models.
Exactly the same as any other model. Each vertex has a texture coordinate, each part of the model references a material name, the MT2 file with that name references what shader and textures should be used and the game rendered it.
a.k.a. Brent
FatCat
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by FatCat »

Any progress on this?
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

FatCat wrote:Any progress on this?
Yup.

[update 2014-04-24]

I apologise for being so curt the other day and thought I'd be best off going an update. I've pretty much stripped the 3D code back to nothing and rebuilt it again along similar principals to the XNA framework. I'm now implementing the bone code (hierarchy stuff) and material viewer and then will be looking at a sort of "viewer only" release to the public.
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Mr.Deviance »

Errol wrote:
FatCat wrote:Any progress on this?

Yup.

[update 2014-04-24]

I apologise for being so curt the other day and thought I'd be best off going an update. I've pretty much stripped the 3D code back to nothing and rebuilt it again along similar principals to the XNA framework. I'm now implementing the bone code (hierarchy stuff) and material viewer and then will be looking at a sort of "viewer only" release to the public.

Viewer only? Why won't you release more than just that?
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Because I'm keeping the model saving code all to myself until I get all the quick-wins. Duh.
Trent
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Trent »

Mr.Deviance wrote:Viewer only? Why won't you release more than just that?
Because it's unfinished/unstable/not user friendly enough/doesn't do everything yet. Errol's file formats library is in his github repository so anyone who wants to manually mess with the file formats or create their own tools, but the editing/exporting bits are sure to break when anyone tries to use it for more than being a viewer.
a.k.a. Brent
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Trent wrote:are sure to break when anyone tries to use it
Yup. I'm that good.
Trent
mindless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Trent »

Errol wrote:
Trent wrote:are sure to break when anyone tries to use it

Yup. I'm that good.

I'm even better, I can get my tools to break before they're even loaded!
a.k.a. Brent
nobby
Stainless

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by nobby »

Nice work Errol. I'm very impressed. (And looking forward to seeing the Novadrome cars in C:R...) :)
I was in the war.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Harmalarm »

Me too man! Exciting work is being done here!
copmac
hit n run

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by copmac »

Nice progress/update.

1.6gb on memory is a lot. But then again the map is huge.

How do you read the map? I mean when you read the data do you make it a binary array so you can manipulate it easily and fast with low memory usage or how? Sorry i'm not a game developer. Don't know how you read meshes and stuff like that. I'm a middle ware developer and write my services to manipulate binary data.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

[Tool] Flummery v0.3.7.5

Post by Errol »

Because I'm dealing with multiple model formats (MDL, DAT and whatever it is that TDR used) I've written an abstraction layer (cunningly named Model) and just read into that.

Each Model is a collection of ModelMeshes, each ModelMesh is a collection of ModelMeshParts (one per material) and each ModelMeshPart is made up of faces that themselves just reference collections of vertex positions, normals, texture co-ordinates and the like.

I then wrote a basic content pipeline Import and Export. MDLImporter for instance would take an MDL and translate it into a Model. I could then use DATExporter to save that Model as a DAT file.

As to the memory usage I've found a few places where I could improve things. I currently load each texture into memory three times and models are replicated in many different forms. The processing time is my big bugbear though. 16 seconds is totally unacceptable.

Check who’s online