STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul [BETA]

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Discuss, mod and troubleshoot!
STShotgun
hit n run

STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul [BETA]

Post by STShotgun »

So this is a mod I've been working on and off for a few years now. My aim was to try and fix some of the severe problems with the gameplay and make the game more fun for myself. I've always felt that C:R/MD lacks a lot of 'oomph', so I hope you can enjoy the game a lot more with this mod. Since so many changes have been made, you could think of this as a full new update!

Heads up: this is meant to be run with the beta patch!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the overhaul contains:

The big changes include:
  • Rebalanced cars for car-on-car combat
  • Less slippery handling overall
  • Many new powerups
  • New times of day and weather settings
  • Various ped improvements
    • AI tweaks
    • More variation + restored C:R peds
  • AI powerup gifting
..and a whole lot more. Here's the full list of changes and additions:
► Show Spoiler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshots:
► Show Spoiler

Download

Installation:

The drag & drop way:

If you're looking to go through career with the game's progression then this is what you'll want to do.
  • Drag and drop the ZAD into the ZAD folder
..and that's it!

To install an addon, just drag and drop that into the folder too.

The CarMODgeddon way:

If you're not bothered about the career and just want to play freeplay, then this is the way to go. The main advantage of this method is that it unlocks everything and allows for new levels and cars*. The main con of this method is that the career is pointless due to everything being unlocked, but this won't matter if you don't want to play career anyway.

As explained in Trent's beta patch thread, you'll need to do this:
  • Create a folder called ZIP_MODS in C:MD's root folder
  • Put the mod(s) in there, then rename .zad to .zip
  • Open C:MD's launch options on Steam then add: -mod=zmod_ST_Overhaul_BETA_v090
    • If you want to launch multiple mods then you'll have to put it down as:
      -mod=zmod_ST_Overhaul_BETA_v090,zmod_ST_Overhaul_Freeplay_Companion,zmod_no_cursor (etc.)
Make sure 'zmod_ST_Overhaul_BETA_v090' is at the beginning, as the addons need to be loaded afterwards.

(*just be aware that 'AI gifting' doesn't work with addon cars)

Addons:

Freeplay Companion:
This is an addon meant for when you've completed career and want to go into Freeplay.

What this does is:
  • Sets every car to be tier 1 so they can all appear in the randomisation.
  • Every Power level has been set to be in-between 3 and 4 - it's not slow but not too fast.
  • Randomises every level setting
  • Sets the Suppressor and The Oppressor as the main cop cars, with the APC being the 3rd if present.
  • Turns the CU:NT into an opponent, so it's possible for every cop to appear in one level!
  • Slightly alters the career to accommodate the changes above, even if it isn't the focus. Despite that, career could almost feel like a wacky 'new game+' with this.
Download

Just be aware that most cop spawn locations weren't placed with The Oppressor in mind, so it might struggle and/or die in its place in certain Classic Carma levels.

Silent Groovin' Peds:
Simply removes the PUp's ability to play its own music. If you have the game's music turned off, you'll want this addon.
Download

Flappable Plow Bucket:
A mod that lets you flap the (non-crushable) bucket again.
Download

Transparent maps:
This makes the full screen maps transparent so you can slightly see through them.
► Show Spoiler
Download

No annoying cursor:
A simple mod that makes the 'unclicked' mouse cursor invisible, as it keeps appearing in the middle of the screen after races and such.
Download

Restored start/end stun sounds:
If you liked the *whack* sound when you stun an opponent, this enables it again.
Download

'AI gifting' addons:
Self-explanatory mods for the AI gifting feature.

Weapons only: (redundant right now)
Download

Complete removal:
Download

No outlines for barrels:
I'm gonna put this into the next version of the mod, but for now I'll release it as an addon:
► Show Spoiler
Download

Tweaked night fog:
Another thing that'll be in the next version, the fog for the city night settings won't be pitch black and super thick:
► Show Spoiler
Download
Patched copy of the freeplay addon

Credits:

- Stainless Games for creating this amazing and insanely flexible game in the first place!
- Sa1cor for originally starting the car balancing and handling tweaks with me
- Trent for his C:R UI tweaks, driver selection and the old C:R City A night mod
- Mad Mike for his wheel customisation mod
- Veritas for the Stainless intro removal
- L1ttlePupp3t and Mugmag for testing

Other resources from Bugbear Entertainment, id Software, dDara (the beer mugs for 'Piss Artist', albeit edited), Alexandr Cherkinsky (the brake icon for 'Brake Failure'), Daniel MacDonald (the shoe and pedals for 'Lead Foot'), sasha willins (hand) + panyawut norrasing (handbrake) (Instant Handbrake icon), James Cottell (heart for the Faint-of-Heart Peds icon), some sounds from ZapSplat, Criterion Games, and other places I couldn't remember.
Last edited by STShotgun on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlexTSK
mindless

Re: STShotgun's C:MD Overhaul [BETA]

Post by AlexTSK »

Reinstalled CMD to try this, really nice work so far! Will keep playing and post any feedback here :smile:
STShotgun
hit n run

Post by STShotgun »

Cheers, Alex :smile:
helomyname
turbo bastard

Post by helomyname »

This looks really promising, will definitely try it out at some point.

However one of the things that always bothered me in C:R was that there were too many powerups, and a lot of them are basically duplicates of each other. Is there any chance for a future addon that simplifies them by reducing the amount of powerup types to something like C2's variety?
Toshiba-3
アルカリ (単3形)

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Gave it some playtime and must say it already seems like an improvement on all aspects.
Stellar job! :beer: Can't wait to see how this mod will evolve.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
STShotgun
hit n run

Post by STShotgun »

Quick update: I've uploaded another version of 0.9.0 that removes the gifting of timed pups for the AI as it's broken at the moment. For those who already have the previous version, you'll want the 'weapons only' or 'complete removal' addons.

helomyname wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:40 am This looks really promising, will definitely try it out at some point.

However one of the things that always bothered me in C:R was that there were too many powerups, and a lot of them are basically duplicates of each other. Is there any chance for a future addon that simplifies them by reducing the amount of powerup types to something like C2's variety?
About the pups, I don't think I'll make a proper addon for this since what should or shouldn't go is pretty subjective, and I'm not that bothered by the amount of pups to be honest. I don't mind all the variations as long as they're effective. :lol:

What I can do is leave a zad that contains the mod's general_data.lua file which will allow you to replace powerups with whatever you want.

So if for example you want to replace Ped Detonator with Ped Annhilator and replace the limb slicer pups with random ped weapons, then this'll do it:

Code: Select all

{"PEDDETONATOR",			"PEDANNIHILATOR"},
{"FEELINGLEGLESS",			"PEDWEAPON"},
{"GETAHEAD",				"PEDWEAPON"},
{"MOSTLYARMLESS",			"PEDWEAPON"},
{"TISBUTASCRATCH",			"PEDWEAPON"},
Just a quick fyi, the 'classic_pups' category is for Classic Carma, and 'comp_sp_pups' is for the other modes.

Toshiba-3 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 pm
Gave it some playtime and must say it already seems like an improvement on all aspects.
Stellar job! :beer: Can't wait to see how this mod will evolve.
Cheers Tosh :smile: :thumbsup:
MalkavsRustyBones
driver

Post by MalkavsRustyBones »

Loving this mod so far. One question, would it be possible to make a patch file to bring back the original CUNT cop cars as the cop cars that spawn in the levels instead of the Suppressor and Oppressor?
RIKUSYO
pedestrian

Post by RIKUSYO »

This mod is great. :saston:
I hope this mod will be the definitive edition of Carmageddon.

There are two features I want:
- Option to use the original driver model.
- Cops driver model (I love cops concept art).
STShotgun
hit n run

Post by STShotgun »

MalkavsRustyBones wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 am Loving this mod so far. One question, would it be possible to make a patch file to bring back the original CUNT cop cars as the cop cars that spawn in the levels instead of the Suppressor and Oppressor?
Cheers :smile:

Here's an addon for the cop spawns. It's set to have 2 CU:NTs and an APC like in vanilla, but if for example you want to change it to have 3 CU:NTs then you can edit the cop_spawn_modifiers.lua file and change 'promote_1' under difficulty_map to 'demote', or 'promote_3' if you want 2 APCs and a Suppressor, etc.
RIKUSYO wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:22 am This mod is great. :saston:
I hope this mod will be the definitive edition of Carmageddon.

There are two features I want:
- Option to use the original driver model.
- Cops driver model (I love cops concept art).

By 'original driver model', do you mean to have the specific car's driver automatically chosen? If so then I dunno if such an option can be added but for now there's the driver picker in Freeplay, which changes the actual driver for the save slot so it'll change it for career too :smile:

Specific driver models for the cops would be nice but it's beyond the scope of this mod :sad:
RIKUSYO
pedestrian

Post by RIKUSYO »

STShotgun wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:34 pm Thanks :smile:

By 'original driver model', do you mean to have the specific car's driver automatically chosen? If so then I dunno if such an option can be added but for now there's the driver picker in Freeplay, which changes the actual driver for the save slot so it'll change it for career too :smile:

Specific driver models for the cops would be nice but it's beyond the scope of this mod :sad:
I didn't know there was a driver picker. Thank you! :sbsmile:
Don't worry about the cops driver model. It's just a small idea. :wink:
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

Signed up just to thank you for the fantastic job here! Immense improvement on the vanilla game (which I was pretty close to just giving up on and uninstalling) and looking forward to following this :)
STShotgun
hit n run

Post by STShotgun »

mutecoat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 pm Signed up just to thank you for the fantastic job here! Immense improvement on the vanilla game (which I was pretty close to just giving up on and uninstalling) and looking forward to following this :)
Cheers, I appreciate it :beer:

Hopefully the next big version will get released sometime next week
JormaRysky
pedestrian

Post by JormaRysky »

Just tried. If state of released version would have been this mod, I don't think C:MD would have been so big flop. It is game now, instead of pretty much aimless sandbox.
mutecoat
pedestrian

Post by mutecoat »

STShotgun wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:20 pm
mutecoat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:14 pm Signed up just to thank you for the fantastic job here! Immense improvement on the vanilla game (which I was pretty close to just giving up on and uninstalling) and looking forward to following this :)
Cheers, I appreciate it :beer:

Hopefully the next big version will get released sometime next week
Watching this space!

If here is the right place for feedback - one thing I noticed is the Criminal Record/My Stats data is all zeroed/unknown after installing the overhaul, and now doesn't populate or increase with play. (I think this has also affected Steam achievements?)