Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Trying to figure out how (Android Carmageddon)

Chat about funsize Carmageddon for Android and iOS!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Trying to figure out how (Android Carmageddon)

Post by Deep_Blue »

..to be able to look inside the .obb file.

I have WadEdit. I have Flummery, I have Noesis. I have a hex editor.
What I have No idea of is how to get started looking at the data.
Screenshot_2014-12-14-11-08-54.png
Screenshot_2014-12-14-11-08-54.png (143.16 KiB) Viewed 11601 times
Does anybody?
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Trying to figure out how (Android Carmageddon)

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, I remember ya sayin' ya din't have an android. I'm hoping Tosh or somebody who's maybe took a look at it at least can point me in the right direction.
Then again, mebbe I'll just start screwin' stuff up and watch what changes.

:lol:
science.jpg
science.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 11596 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Even if I did have an android I don't know anything about hex code. :oops:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I don't either. Never did. I just look for filenames I can add/substitute/change. My problem is getting the .obb open. Some folks say it has regular PK header and should work if renamed from .obb to .zip. Tried that. No go. None of the C:R tools I have will open an .obb file. Gotta find another way. Time to start studying how those things are put together.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

So... OBB. Looks to be an Android thing that can be decompressed using JOBB. Once you've got that open I think you'll want to focus on DATA_ANDROID.WAD The WAD file has been used by Stainless before (some more info here). I assume that once you're in the WAD everything will be the same as the iOS version.

I must admit to not having done anything to test any of this. I could always add Flummery support for this if the call is great. I'm simultaneously letting down the modding communities of C1 (no functional CrushData editor), C2 (no simple way of making new skeletons and skeletal animations), TDR (no export for custom maps) and C:R (basically everything) at the moment. I see no reason not to add Android to the list of wishes unfulfilled.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

LOL Errol. :grin:
Nicely put.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I made a tool to extract the wad from obb - I call it FOBB. Basically it copy wad from obb (just drop the header). And then can rebuild the obb which can be copied back to android device (obb must be renamed manually). I have tested it only with Carma Free, but looking at the hex dump above (thank you Deep_Blue :)) I think I have guessed the meaning of each values correctly (at least when one file is stored in obb), so it should work with full version too. Looking at the dump here full version is only about 11 MB bigger (the cutscenes and audio tracks are stored in apk, so it size is unknown looking at this dump).

To extract wad - extract DotP Tools (more info and source) to directory where FOBB is extracted (bin subdir), also put the obb file to that dir where fobb.exe is. (Older version of DotP Tools are also included with WADEdit, so it can be copied over WADEDit files). Then extract wad from obb using FOBB and use created batch to extract files from wad, edit files then use second batch to rebuild wad (do not rename wad - it name will be stored in obb!), then use FOBB again to build obb from new wad. Then copy the new obb file to Android over original file (make backup!).

Use at your own risk!

I have tested this method before I made a FOBB, just once to see if it work and replace Eagle with Ivan which is included in Carma Free, but not in play. (It's simple switch, so indicator and other elements are from Eagle).

PS: It looks like Noesis extracting the wad with errors, so do not use it to extract files from wad.

Edit: FOBB updated:
- headers detection and many other checks added
- more help-info
- interface simplified - two main buttons (it look like cmdln tool, but cmdln is not yet supported)
- now it start immediately after file selection

I have also unlocked all 7 cars present in free version, switch to more interesting track on this city area, set unused Ivan car for cops and replace some random peds with moo (cow), which made a free version much more interesting, unfortunately car crash rule for this game is so stupid and ruin game play anyway... (this is also possible to enable part shop and more..., however for free version car list is closed and rank increase is probably not possible).

Textures are in different format than in iOS version. IMAGEMAP in opposite to previous format look like compressed non raw data, some files are bigger, some smaller than previous (probably because of compression), so I think those textures may be even better than those for iOS.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Whoa! Nice, QTZ! I'm glad *you* know what you're looking at. Soon as I get some time- I have to dig back into this.. :thumbsup:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ok.. I have some modding/experimenting time now that I'm on vacation.
I have spent some time getting acquainted with apk files, but haven't had a chance to mess with the .OBB yet.

I will attempt to follow QTZ's instructions above....
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

Has anyone been able to download the .apk and .obb data to Carmageddon demo and host it somewhere? I have tried to download it to my phone(S4 mini with v 4.2.2) but no matter what I do the .obb data is always messed up and and I would love to try the demo out on my phone.

Thanks.

BTW I used winzip\winrar to open both the .apk and .obb files as I wanted to get the music from a games .obb file which was easy but the .fsb(if I remember correctly) I had to get a small app to open it which allowed me to extract the music files.:D

If there is a reply soon and I don't reply asap just please know we are having to deal with the death of my dad and the funeral,etc...Sorry for this part.

Just that I have been meaning to post my message regarding the topic ages ago and I was thinking about it now while we have to deal with everything that is happening,etc.... trying to keep my mind off what has happened and is still happening....

Not fun at all. :sad:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey sonofham,

Sorry to hear about your loss :sad:

About the apk/obb, you can download it here:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R6/carma_android.zip
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

Thank you.Can't wait to play it. :sbsmile: Will get around to downloading it soon. It was so hard today with the funeral,etc...
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

That's sad :(

The obb is not actually obb, it's some kind of archive, so you need to drop header - use FOBB (link above), then you can extract the files with another tool - read readme / look above.

However as far as I remember music playing with some distortion, so I think the file format is modified.

Also since they changed the rules this game is extremely stupid to play. No matter who hit - player or opponents - player gain the profits...
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

Still once I get the chance I will download it and play it to try it out as I have had countless problems trying to download the demo from the Android Market.Why I don't know? That is why I just wanted to get the demo .apk and .obb files somewhere from the net to see how it played on my smartphone....

I really seem to be taking my dad's death really bad... :sad: :sad: :sad: I realized on Sunday that it is two weeks since my dad had passed away... :sad: .Sorry about this.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I really must find some time to play around with this stuff as I play Android Carmageddon regularly- and just like PC carmageddon, I'm getting bored as hell with the stock stuff
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

Got around to downloading the game and WOW.For a mobile game it is fun but battery life sucks and the controls are a bit iffy even though you can move the controls around to fit my "big" fingers but still. Felt weird but then it was Hey I am racing around in Carmageddon on my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini driving over peds and animals....

Coastal Carnage!!!! :sbsmile: The handling to me feels weird and the way the Eagle drives as well so far.Still.

Thanks

Check who’s online