Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Questions for my big project

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Questions for my big project

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

Hi. I just have some questions regarding making my newest project: a gigantic, 8 wheeled machine that's the main par of the mission.

the point of the mission is for players to "climb" to the top and activate a bomb to destroy the titan, going through "stages" to do so.

This is based off of this boss:

so I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to make an endless plain, so this machine can continually drive forward?

2. Is it possible to make timed opponent spawns? (Ex. the player makes it to the next stage inside the machine and 4 opponents spawn)

3. Is there a way to have this machine drop explosive mines from time to time?

All help is appreciated!
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Questions for my big project

Post by coffeycup »

I haven't watch vid yet because I am at work but..

Endless plain: Endless no. But you can make a really HUGE map though. (see my Big Track: Outback)

Spawn Opponents: No, don't think so

Mines spawn: I don't think so, but look at what HarmAlarm did with his Mario 64 map it has some really cool effects
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

2. You could always trap spawned opponents inside a room, that room would be triggered to open up at a certain point allowing the opponent to leave. Not sure how effective this would be, same concept like what Fireman has done with the car selection level in his Post-Apoc mod.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, that's a good idea. Trap them in a room(s) and have a trigger to open the doors when you reach a certain point on the map.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Yeah, that's a good idea. Trap them in a room(s) and have a trigger to open the doors when you reach a certain point on the map.
You mean like a button for players to run over? Do you know how?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Mmmh... isn't the cheating AI going to teleport them out of the area if the player is too far or don't look their way?

CarnEvilcrazy: Smash-activated noncar, examples are available in the newsumo track or the silo.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hmm, you have a point, Tosh.
I think trying to turn that TM boss video into one level isn't really going to work in C2. I would break it up into multiple maps. Even in the video the titan and the pinball levels look like separate maps to me.

I would make a huge desert map for titan. Make the titan a sideways moving lift that would slowly creep along. Have it reverse direction when it gets to end of map.

Titan and pinball maps would each have different explicit opponents. That eliminates the need to spawn opponents.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Hmm, you have a point, Tosh.
I think trying to turn that TM boss video into one level isn't really going to work in C2. I would break it up into multiple maps. Even in the video the titan and the pinball levels look like separate maps to me.

I would make a huge desert map for titan. Make the titan a sideways moving lift that would slowly creep along. Have it reverse direction when it gets to end of map.

Titan and pinball maps would each have different explicit opponents. That eliminates the need to spawn opponents.
i was going to change it a bit. Instead of a pinball area, i was going to do a simple 3 ring circus under a huge tent, with a few (4) enemies in it, and after that, have a ramp leading to the top of the tent to face 3 more people. i would add a roller coaster that makes a tight circle around the tent, so no one could fall off. However, separate parts would work too. What do you think?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

If I were you I would do a few quick tests before you go too crazy. I would make a really simple two decker map with the upper level having sealed compartment(s) to trap second bunch of opponents with sliding doors that open when you get to the top level.

Then you'll know whether or not you need to split the upper and lower tent levels into 2 maps or not.

What are you planning on using to make the maps(s)? Not CarEd I hope. You should use 3DSMax or SketchUp or some editor that will export a .3ds with its UV mapping intact.

I know people have used CarEd for simple maps, but I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it must've been.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I know people have used CarEd for simple maps
Then there's Mastro who takes using CarEd to create maps to the extreme. :mad: :cool:
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

LOL, yes Mastro is a maniac, that's why we love him. :twisted:
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:If I were you I would do a few quick tests before you go too crazy. I would make a really simple two decker map with the upper level having sealed compartment(s) to trap second bunch of opponents with sliding doors that open when you get to the top level.

Then you'll know whether or not you need to split the upper and lower tent levels into 2 maps or not.

What are you planning on using to make the maps(s)? Not CarEd I hope. You should use 3DSMax or SketchUp or some editor that will export a .3ds with its UV mapping intact.

I know people have used CarEd for simple maps, but I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it must've been.
I've decide to take your word for it. Separate missions for every part of the circus works best (about 5).

Do you think CarEd would work for just a simple plain?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

CarnEvilcrazy wrote: Do you think CarEd would work for just a simple plain?
It would work but it would take far longer to get it done than in Sketchup.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

Razor wrote:
CarnEvilcrazy wrote: Do you think CarEd would work for just a simple plain?
It would work but it would take far longer to get it done than in Sketchup.
You're right. I've also found something else to consider: what should the machine be? A drone? Part of the track? Now the players can't drive around inside of it (they think they can in the other missions, but they're just recreations of the inside).
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

CarnEvilcrazy wrote:I've also found something else to consider: what should the machine be? A drone? Part of the track? Now the players can't drive around inside of it (they think they can in the other missions, but they're just recreations of the inside).
coffeycup wrote:Make the titan a sideways moving lift that would slowly creep along. Have it reverse direction when it gets to end of map.
Like I said already, I'd make it a custom non-car like the elevators in the aircraft carrier levels or the sliding doors in the silo mission. Just have it go sideways instead of up and down. It would crush you if you somehow got wedged between it and the ground.

It can't be a drone because as soon as anything touched it it would stop moving.
Maybe it could be part of the track. Tosh and HarmAlarm have done interesting maps with moving parts. (TDR Arena and Cactus)
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:
CarnEvilcrazy wrote:I've also found something else to consider: what should the machine be? A drone? Part of the track? Now the players can't drive around inside of it (they think they can in the other missions, but they're just recreations of the inside).
coffeycup wrote:Make the titan a sideways moving lift that would slowly creep along. Have it reverse direction when it gets to end of map.
Like I said already, I'd make it a custom non-car like the elevators in the aircraft carrier levels or the sliding doors in the silo mission. Just have it go sideways instead of up and down. It would crush you if you somehow got wedged between it and the ground.

It can't be a drone because as soon as anything touched it it would stop moving.
Maybe it could be part of the track. Tosh and HarmAlarm have done interesting maps with moving parts. (TDR Arena and Cactus)
I've decide to scratch the idea of the platform. THe machine is really going to be there for show, be moving forward constantly, and if possible, drop mines and a "Death Taxi" drone (a solid granite taxi drone). It would be great if the huge whees could do damage by having the players get run over by them, or get bashed by them.

Does it have to be sideways? It would look better if it didn't, and it still reversed direction when it reached the other side though.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

CarnEvilcrazy wrote:I've decide to scratch the idea of the platform. THe machine is really going to be there for show, be moving forward constantly, and if possible, drop mines and a "Death Taxi" drone (a solid granite taxi drone). It would be great if the huge whees could do damage by having the players get run over by them, or get bashed by them.

Does it have to be sideways? It would look better if it didn't, and it still reversed direction when it reached the other side though.
You're misunderstanding what I am saying. I should've said forward/backwards instead of sideways (as opposed to up and down).

You need to learn more about noncars and drones.

Noncars can be loose objects like trash cans and boxes. They can also be attached to the ground like traffic lights and trees with a certain amount of bend angle before they snap free. Non cars can also move along an axis like elavators and sliding doors. Those move along the Y axis (up/down) but you can set a custom one to move along the X or Z axis(forward/backward or left/right)

I was not suggesting your Titan machine be a platform I was saying it could use the noncar setting of a 'platform' to get it to move forward/backward.

You need to forget about it dropping mines and drones. Drones don't get 'dropped'. They have paths with a start and endpoint. Are these Death Taxis supposed to chase you? If so, they need to be opponents not drones.

Have you downloaded any of the maps I suggested you look at? Harm's Mario map has big rolling balls that crush you if you get in their way. They are drones that follow a path. Their mass set really high so they destroy anything in their way.

If your Titan was a noncar it would not have actual rolling wheels. It would be a one static model that moves along an axis. So maybe you need to look at Tosh's map with moving parts, it has gears and moving parts that crush cars.

They only moving parts I've ever fiddled with on a map with was a rotating sign, so there might be tricks I do not know about.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:
CarnEvilcrazy wrote:I've decide to scratch the idea of the platform. THe machine is really going to be there for show, be moving forward constantly, and if possible, drop mines and a "Death Taxi" drone (a solid granite taxi drone). It would be great if the huge whees could do damage by having the players get run over by them, or get bashed by them.

You're misunderstanding what I am saying. I should've said forward/backwards instead of sideways (as opposed to up and down).

You need to learn more about noncars and drones.

Noncars can be loose objects like trash cans and boxes. They can also be attached to the ground like traffic lights and trees with a certain amount of bend angle before they snap free. Non cars can also move along an axis like elavators and sliding doors. Those move along the Y axis (up/down) but you can set a custom one to move along the X or Z axis(forward/backward or left/right)

I was not suggesting your Titan machine be a platform I was saying it could use the noncar setting of a 'platform' to get it to move forward/backward.

You need to forget about it dropping mines and drones. Drones don't get 'dropped'. They have paths with a start and endpoint. Are these Death Taxis supposed to chase you? If so, they need to be opponents not drones.

Have you downloaded any of the maps I suggested you look at? Harm's Mario map has big rolling balls that crush you if you get in their way. They are drones that follow a path. Their mass set really high so they destroy anything in their way.

If your Titan was a noncar it would not have actual rolling wheels. It would be a one static model that moves along an axis. So maybe you need to look at Tosh's map with moving parts, it has gears and moving parts that crush cars.

They only moving parts I've ever fiddled with on a map with was a rotating sign, so there might be tricks I do not know about.
Ohhh. Now I understand what you mean!

The big machine could LOOK like it was moving. It's very simple. Having it move as a static model, but have the wheels rotating would produce the simple effect of the titan "driving" foward, until it reaches the edge, then reverse. Is that what you mean? If so, is it possible to reverse the wheel direction when going backwards?

The Death Taxis are supposed to be obstacles that go fast in a straight line, causing terrible damage to anyone or anything they hit. They would respawn, like the 747 plane in "airpain". Maybe they should have a path, spawning and respawning quickly at the end of the plain, coming all the way down for the player to dodge.

I realized that for added difficulty, the plain could be narrow enough for the machine and long, and the sides could have rocks or something so the players (and opponents who they must destroy) can't escape. Also instead of dropping mines, the plain could be littered with explosive cannisters and powerups, and when the machine starts travelling backwards, any cannisters missed could catch the players by suprise. BOOM!

How about that?

Ps. Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but i sort of am. I've only made a few cars and fiddled with some of the games files.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I like the canyon with the explosive canister ideas. Go for it!
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:I like the canyon with the explosive canister ideas. Go for it!
Thanks!

I started the project today, but I didn't get very far. I tried making the plain in CarEd, but now I realize maybe the program won't work as well as I thought. Maybe I should use Plaything 2 or Google sketchup.

I found a tutorial or 2 that go really in-depth, which is good, but really overwhelming! I had no idea that it takes this much to make a track, and this isn't even for a race!! :shock:

This track stuff is crazy complicated, and the tutorial I found said it wasn't difficult!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Plaything 2 is not for modelling, it can be used for pretty much everything else (from texturing your track to getting your track set up in-game) but not the modelling stage.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Plaything 2 isn't a modeling program so forget the idea of using that. - Razor beat me to it!

Since you've never made a map before, why don't you first try something really simple first so you can learn the steps needed to get a map built and into the game? Why don't you just make a simple oval track or a big empty parking lot for a first map?

Building the model and texturing it is the hardest part. Getting it into the game isn't that difficult. Where it gets hard again is if you want to have moving parts and explosives in the map. That means setting up 'grooves' that define the movements and 'smashables' for the explosions.

I suggest using SketchUp if you have never used a 3D modeling program other than CarEd.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Plaything 2 isn't a modeling program so forget the idea of using that. - Razor beat me to it!

Since you've never made a map before, why don't you first try something really simple first so you can learn the steps needed to get a map built and into the game? Why don't you just make a simple oval track or a big empty parking lot for a first map?

Building the model and texturing it is the hardest part. Getting it into the game isn't that difficult. Where it gets hard again is if you want to have moving parts and explosives in the map. That means setting up 'grooves' that define the movements and 'smashables' for the explosions.

I suggest using SketchUp if you have never used a 3D modeling program other than CarEd.
Ok. I'll just make a square or something. Anything special I have to do in sketchup?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Make sure polys are facing the correct way (beige side facing you/blue side away from you)

Use your own imported textures, not the default patterns and colors you get with Sketchup

Use textures setup like they need to be for C2.
- TIFs
- 32x32, 64x64 or 128x128 pixel width and height

use the existing Google people to get a sense of scale.

use things like the tape measure tool or type in dimensions directly if you're needing accuracy.

Free version of SketchUp won't export .3DS but don't worry about that yet. Make a model and if you send it to me I'll export it in the right format
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:Make sure polys are facing the correct way (beige side facing you/blue side away from you)

Use your own imported textures, not the default patterns and colors you get with Sketchup

Use textures setup like they need to be for C2.
- TIFs
- 32x32, 64x64 or 128x128 pixel width and height

use things like the tape measure tool or type in dimensions directly if you're needing accuracy.

Free version of SketchUp won't export .3DS but don't worry about that yet. Make a model and if you send it to me I'll export it in the right format
Hey I just saw your big track on carmajunkies. Could I use that for the 1st and last missiions?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

coffeycup wrote:

I make my maps directly to scale in Sketchup by importing Eagle3.3ds (available at Toxic Ragers) and designing the map to the scale of the Eagle 3. Removes the additional step of scaling the map down in PT2.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

CarnEvilcrazy wrote:Hey I just saw your big track on carmajunkies. Could I use that for the 1st and last missiions?
I suppose so. I think you'd learn more if you made your own.
CarnEvilcrazy
mechanic

Post by CarnEvilcrazy »

coffeycup wrote:
CarnEvilcrazy wrote:Hey I just saw your big track on carmajunkies. Could I use that for the 1st and last missiions?
I suppose so. I think you'd learn more if you made your own.
I'm sorry, but it's perfect for the machine. I still have to make my own for the other missions though.

Check who’s online