Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The C2 Language

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Husky
hit n run

The C2 Language

Post by Husky »

Okay, I don't quite understand this and would like some clarification.
How do all the scripts in C2 work? Are all commands shortcuts written and stashed away elsewhere? Is it itself a scripting language written just for the game? If not does it use (LUA, actionscript, ect.) and where?
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Re: The C2 Language

Post by Errol »

?
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Husky
hit n run

Post by Husky »

What is Carmageddon 2 written in? C++ or something made from scratch?
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

I'd assume c/c++ and assembly but I'm not too sure why that is relevant?

Possibly if you give context to your question someone might be able to give you a more appropriate answer?
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Husky
hit n run

Post by Husky »

That might be enough.
I have some experience with LUA (2 years random stuff) and might be able to change the files for newer operating system and mod stability, let alone mods themselves. I think it's worth a shot.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

This all sounds very interesting and I'm intrigued to see what you achieve. Please, keep us posted!

If there's anything else you need please ask. I've coded parsers for virtually every file in Carmageddon, Carmageddon 2, TDR2000 and Carma PSX so I should be able to offer any information you may need.
Husky
hit n run

Post by Husky »

Alright, first part may be Hell... But I think I should check the file that splits cars in half because I've played on XP and up enough to get enraged by that.

So first off, all files seem to have single numbers defining actions noted to their right. The actual script running these numbers aren't there. Then there are pre-defined commands found in all or most files like, "START OF." In LUA if this were a function I think it'd look like:

function CRUSH(SETTINGS)
--Script to accomplish function.
end

Function is there to call it any time later. CRUSH is the functions name. Settings is the car, its physics such as armor, the other cars impact velocity and the location hit.
Now to call it I would say:
CRUSH(eagle)

This is all my guess on what is going on, and I hope to know where to find the script base, and where it is translated from "function" to "START OF" if it even is.

LUA is my favorite programing language, cause well... I'm better with it, also it's compact and it's free to download!

--Edit: Come to think of it... START OF CRUSH SETTINGS might be storing offense?
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

Ooooh, I see what you're trying to do now. Sorry chap, this has all been done.

For example:
Harmalarm has an indepth guide to WAM editing over here: http://devwam.toshiba-3.com/viewtopic.php?id=327
I've started work on GROOVEs here: http://www.toxic-ragers.co.uk/article/groove-spec/
I also have FUNKs and smash specs in the pipes.

Toshiba has a massive amount of tutorials and guides available here: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/tutorials
And my personal site has a few insights here and there: http://www.toxic-ragers.co.uk/

Also, going back to the split in half thing. The main reason the game crashes when a car is split in half is because the bounding boxes for that vehicle are poorly set up. More than 4 bounding-boxes is an instant game crash and there are a few other caveats too (one box should contain all wheel points, things like that). If you really want to stop the game crashing then you can edit the "Snappability factor" in the car.wam file and change it to 0.0. While this stops that car from crashing the game it is a pretty shit solution and should only be used if you really can't fix the bounding-box problems.

I did wonder if you were talking about the game txt files (usually called the paperwork) but then you asked about c++ and the like. I'm easily confused.
Husky
hit n run

Post by Husky »

Sweeet, that's some very useful stuff! Never seen any of those!
Well thank you, I'll see what I can do with this stuff.

Check who’s online