Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Opponent behavior

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Opponent behavior

Post by nWo4life »

I know C2_Scientist isn't around here much anymore, but I have a question I need answered. Instead of creating opponent paths for a track, can you make the cars drive around randomly, just chasing their opponents/you around? Is it possible to solve that by giving every opponent a cop start point, so for example, you have 4 opponents in a square level, each opponent starts in each corner? I'm not sure if that cop start thing changes the behavior of those opponents.

Any help is appreciated.

Greetz, nWo4life
"I never thought ye had it in ye." - Ken Shamrock

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Re: Opponent behavior

Post by Savage-Elve »

In the races.txt there's a line 'opponent nastiness level' for every level. This influences how much the opponents will stick to the opponent path

Don't shoot me, i'm just the piano player.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I suppose if you had an open arena type map with little or no obstacles you could have minimal

opponent paths and with the aggresiveness cranked up they'd leave the path and drive straight

for you.

But in a city type level you need the paths to keep them from slamming into buildings.

Maybe you make incredibly complex oppenent paths in that situation, with lots of sub paths

for every road on the map and they would randomly chose ways of getting to you when they

get to an intersection.

For starting points, if you use explicit opponents, they start at the multi-player

spawn points - so you could have them start in the corners of a square map.
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Post by nWo4life »

First of all, excuse me of the reply delay, I could not find much time to work/experiment with the track stuff. Thanks a lot for your input anyway, gentleman!

Savage man, it's good to see you back. Thanks a lot for the help, I didn't know what that nastiness level was for. But what's the deal with it, the higher the number, the more the opponents will stick to race line?

Coffey, that's a neat advice, for when I create real maps, thanks for that!

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Post by Savage-Elve »

The bruise Brothers mission has nastiness level 10 (instead of -1)

Don't shoot me, i'm just the piano player.
nWo4life
motorised death

Post by nWo4life »

That should be a nice number. Thanks!

TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

I like setting it to nothing... seeing as all my cars are custom (IE: real life cars) it makes it feel more like they're just people minding thier own business, and you're an asshole with a vengence. :smile:

Check who’s online