Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon TDR 2000 - directx problem

All things Carmageddon TDR2000 related - hey, it's got multiplayer.
BFishY
mechanic

Post by BFishY »

So I get the same error everyone else gets when trying to play this game on a modern PC. On mission levels it gives me a directx error.

I searched online and found you have to set MIP Filter to None. Okay... But I don't have a mip filter in my advanced options D:

This is what I have: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/jmhkljhk.png/

Another solutions was to turn off the fog... I don't have that in-game either D:

The patch someone suggested doesn't work it says it's not compatible with my version of windows (Win7 64 bit)

Help :(

----

So basically the window is too narrow to show the options I need :(

I even got a software that stretches any window, but the options also get stretched >:|
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Well, the window is too small for the options to sh-

Oh. You figured it out. That's so weird. Tell you what, I'll... *gulp* re-install mine, I'll change the settings, and I'll throw you the config file.

EDIT: Got it. Now, I can't give you mine because it has a lot of graphic options specific to my machine and whatnot, and I'm sure it'd explode if I gave you my config file. So here's what you need to do:

Go to the game's folder, and open TDR2000.gfx with a text editor. Go to line 74, which is roughly halfway through, and you'll see the line "2,2,2". The final "2" is the mip filter. Change that 2 to a 0 and you're all set.

Oh, and if you need pixel fog disabled (which is the only fog-related option I could find), go to line 72 and you'll see "2d,d5". Change that "2d" to a "9", and there you go.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
BFishY
mechanic

Post by BFishY »

Espyo wrote:Well, the window is too small for the options to sh-

Oh. You figured it out. That's so weird. Tell you what, I'll... *gulp* re-install mine, I'll change the settings, and I'll throw you the config file.

EDIT: Got it. Now, I can't give you mine because it has a lot of graphic options specific to my machine and whatnot, and I'm sure it'd explode if I gave you my config file. So here's what you need to do:

Go to the game's folder, and open TDR2000.gfx with a text editor. Go to line 74, which is roughly halfway through, and you'll see the line "2,2,2". The final "2" is the mip filter. Change that 2 to a 0 and you're all set.

Oh, and if you need pixel fog disabled (which is the only fog-related option I could find), go to line 72 and you'll see "2d,d5". Change that "2d" to a "9", and there you go.

Wow thank you. About to test it now. Spent forever trying to dig through these files, would've never guessed it was this one :P
BFishY
mechanic

Post by BFishY »

Yup it worked. Thanks :D
RorusBass
pedestrian

Post by RorusBass »

just want to post a quick thanks for the solution!
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

I don't even remember how I found the solution to this! Good to know it's helping more people.

Maybe we should compile a set of troubleshooting solutions for everything Carma somewhere, maybe on the wiki...

EDIT: Troubleshooting here we go.
imsharkbait
pedestrian

Post by imsharkbait »

I've done this but the error still appears. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Well, shitty timing. My computer doesn't like TDR2000 any more. I can't install it. The only advice I can give now is to double-check that you followed the instructions correctly. Try again if needed. If it still doesn't work, try reinstalling the game, and make sure you're using the most recent versions of DirectX and such...
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Espyo wrote:Well, shitty timing. My computer doesn't like TDR2000 any more. I can't install it. The only advice I can give now is to double-check that you followed the instructions correctly. Try again if needed. If it still doesn't work, try reinstalling the game, and make sure you're using the most recent versions of DirectX and such...

I don't think TDR works very nicely nowadays (not even with the MAX-Pack)
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Breakin'Benny wrote:I don't think TDR works very nicely nowadays (not even with the MAX-Pack and this Torrent)
Linking to torrent sites is not acceptable on these forums.
a.k.a. Brent
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Trent wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:I don't think TDR works very nicely nowadays (not even with the MAX-Pack and this Torrent)

Linking to torrent sites is not acceptable on these forums.

So what? TDR 2000 sucks anyway, is that excuse enough?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

That is no excuse. Piracy is piracy, no matter whether the game sucks or not. It has no place on these forums, which is why Shane removed the link from your post.
a.k.a. Brent
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

That's correct. Without turning this into a TDR bashing thread (again), piracy is illegal, and almost never accepted around here. Whether you're a pirate or not, keep it to yarrharr.com or whatever.

Unless it's a legal torrent, we shouldn't have links. Besides, it takes just a couple of seconds to manually search for pirated games anyway.
imsharkbait
pedestrian

Post by imsharkbait »

I've done this and saved the edits but the error message still pops up when I try and do a mission. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated because I just LOVE the Carmageddon franchise and would like to play this game before the launch of Reincarnation.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

imsharkbait wrote:I've done this and saved the edits but the error message still pops up when I try and do a mission. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated because I just LOVE the Carmageddon franchise and would like to play this game before the launch of Reincarnation.

You wanna play TDR? Here's a hint; Look to the torrents, but search for something that includes the MAX-Pack (you might wanna try it, just make sure you do the original before putting that on top the Nosebleed Pack).
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Benny, imsharkbait already has the game. The problem is avoiding a crash. And stop telling people about TDR torrents, I see you do that a lot; you even did it before in this very thread. You know torrents and piracy aren't tolerated here. At least you didn't give a link...

As for a solution to imsharkbait's problem... There's not much I can do, like in this post, my computer still hates TDR, and I've tried everything. I wouldn't really know what to do once I'd get it running anyway. Try Googling around, more people've had that problem, but they gave other solutions.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Well Espyo, I've looked somewhere regarding an Unreal Engine Direct3D 10 renderer. It'd be a good idea to pick up Visual C++ Runtime 2010 (32-bit), as these old games are mostly 32-bit. (One does not simply emulate older DirectX levels!)

PS: DOS is 16-bit, only thought I'd tell you that.
imsharkbait
pedestrian

Post by imsharkbait »

Also, you have to do what is stated above to every group that has those lines. There is about three. The edit works but now my game crashes when I load the first race in level two. HHHEEELLLPPP!!! :o(
imsharkbait
pedestrian

Post by imsharkbait »

Now my game freezes on the second last stage of the second level. Should I just give up and wait for Reincarnation?

Or should I use compatibility mode to an older version of windows? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I love this franchise and wanna play TDR 2000 until the launch of Reincarnation.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

The missions don't crash for me, when I turned off Mip Filter.

Perhaps this Win7 PC is too new for the broken TDR? Reincarnation better make a total revamp of it.
pali1
pedestrian

Post by pali1 »

I have the same Direct X error using win7 64 bit and edited the TDR2.gfx file to replace the last 2 in the 2,2,2 string w a 0 (couldn't find the MIP switch)and still have the same problem- getting the Direct X error message after completing the 1st mission and the game crashes. I've tried default settings, hi res settings, etc and cannot get to the 2nd mission. I'm using Logitech Extreme 3D joystick and an ATI Radeon HD 5450 adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

pali1 wrote:I have the same Direct X error using win7 64 bit and edited the TDR2.gfx file to replace the last 2 in the 2,2,2 string w a 0 (couldn't find the MIP switch)and still have the same problem- getting the Direct X error message after completing the 1st mission and the game crashes. I've tried default settings, hi res settings, etc and cannot get to the 2nd mission. I'm using Logitech Extreme 3D joystick and an ATI Radeon HD 5450 adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I saw some suggestions on Carmageddon Wiki's troubleshooting that turning off Pixel Fog alongside the MiP filter could be a good idea.
SirPuddlesworth
pedestrian

Post by SirPuddlesworth »

I saw some suggestions on Carmageddon Wiki's troubleshooting that turning off Pixel Fog alongside the MiP filter could be a good idea.
Any fix yet, I know I am bumping an old thread but I am getting a directX error, I'd just like to play in a LAN with my brother before the reincarnation multiplayer is launched. Thanks all.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Did you try turning off said options in the options panel? It usually works.

You can also try installing the MAX-Pack, might fix stuff.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
SirPuddlesworth
pedestrian

Post by SirPuddlesworth »

Got it to work yes, mip and pixel fog both off, and working for me. use the tdr2000 setup.exe to turn off both mip and pixel fog.
codo
pedestrian

Post by codo »

You guys are getting further than me, mine crashes on launch with "failedcreate3device". changing it to 1920 works (I want 2560) but when I finally finished the first race it crashed and I think I probably lost my progress.
skas23
pedestrian

Post by skas23 »

I have the same problem with directX, but i found a solution, try to change resolution to 1024x768x16, and second mission works.

its probably directX7 isn't compatible with high resolution.

I hope my solution help
yobrevef
pedestrian

Post by yobrevef »

BFishY wrote:So I get the same error everyone else gets when trying to play this game on a modern PC. On mission levels it gives me a directx error.

I searched online and found you have to set MIP Filter to None. Okay... But I don't have a mip filter in my advanced options D:

This is what I have: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/jmhkljhk.png/

Another solutions was to turn off the fog... I don't have that in-game either D:

The patch someone suggested doesn't work it says it's not compatible with my version of windows (Win7 64 bit)

Help :(

----

So basically the window is too narrow to show the options I need :(

I even got a software that stretches any window, but the options also get stretched >:|

I think the problem might be that you have made the text and icons on your computer bigger and the window for the TRD setup does not scale. Try going to your desktop, right clicking, select screen resolution and then click on "Make text and other items larger or smaller" Set it to " Smaller - 100% (default)" now the window in the TDR setup should show all the options.

Check who’s online