Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[Request] Remove the stun effect/sound effect from Max Damage

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

Would it be possible to mod this out? I find it a bit over the top at times smashing into cars only to have this stun effect and dizzy stars come into play...i am fine with it from a gameplay POV (an actual, small pause in the AI) but not from the dizzy stars or from that sound effect.

I'd greatly appreciate it if that could somehow be removed from the main game so i can still play career mode without this effect, or a toggle off, either or :).
Steel_Blueflame
mechanic

Post by Steel_Blueflame »

i don't really see it as an issue at all. it doesn't affect anything and Carmageddon is all about being silly and ridiculous. i wouldn't hold your breath on this getting removed or modded out as mods can only be used in "CarMODgeddon mode" and if you touch the games files outside of the MOD folder it will lock you out of career mode and turn off saving of any kind in the normal game. plus this effect dose serve a purpose as it dose let you know if you have hit an opponent hard enough to stun them and the stars let you know the duration of the stun.
MemoryKill
hit n run

Post by MemoryKill »

Steel_Blueflame wrote:i don't really see it as an issue at all. it doesn't affect anything and Carmageddon is all about being silly and ridiculous. i wouldn't hold your breath on this getting removed or modded out as mods can only be used in "CarMODgeddon mode" and if you touch the games files outside of the MOD folder it will lock you out of career mode and turn off saving of any kind in the normal game. plus this effect dose serve a purpose as it dose let you know if you have hit an opponent hard enough to stun them and the stars let you know the duration of the stun.
Meh. No other game had this though, when you stunned an opponent in previous games it just has the bar that said "stunned", or in C2, you could tell this was happening when the car didn't move for a bit...I don't think it needs a really loud (in my game anyway, sounds are all over the place with volumes) and obnoxious easy mode effect to be added, hell, it's bad enough you get to respawn after being wasted. What happened to this "Hardcore" mode they mentioned months ago? I'd take that, no visual stun effects, no respawns from wasted and no "flappy flappy" to self right upside down cars etc...i'd dig that.

As a compromise...i can settle for no sound effect and just the stars? That would be fine.

At your other point, i find that ridiculous still. We have 3 saves slots...why can 1 save slot not act as the modded save? What are they afraid of? Cheaters on leaderboards? Who really cares about leaderboards when we could have the talented stuff modders create inserted into the career mode like every other carmageddon game allowed...it's easy just to disable MP/Leaderboards when mods are being used, I reall have no idea why they have such a harsh limitation with it, i'd love to play the career with modded levels, powerups and vehicles it would be sick. I hope modders find a way to do this in time as being stuck with freeplay is a bit naff IMO.
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

You can use your own music and sounds, and you can remove it without carmodgeddon (career not locking).

But I'm not going to do that. :-)

I tried to remove the sounds of dancing peds, The sound is gone, but the pause in the music still remained.

I think to completely remove these sounds, is need to edit some scripts of game. But this cannot be done without locking career mode.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Steam cares about leaderboards cause its their service. Otherwise wait for the DRM release you may get it there.

There was no Steam service back then in Carma1 and Carma2 that I can recall.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

hahah I didn't like the effect either...

*POOOOOWWW* and stars flying above the cab...

I dislike the effect my self. it is too cartoonish. There are other silly things in the game so ... I guess we just have to get used to carmageddon getting more and more silly even tho lots of people would prefer perhaps darker, grimmer take =D

And in a sense I think it might have alienated some of potencial customers too =/ BUt more realistic takes beg for visual and mechanical explanations for things like ped tosser, or anvil launcher. And we dont want another twisted metal or crashday either.

The audience had grown up and with them even their taste and perhaps the nihilism aswell =D

But hey the direction is what it is and sometimes we need to roll with the punches...
Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine
hit n run

Post by Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine »

CzechDeath wrote:hahah I didn't like the effect either...

I dislike the effect my self. it is too cartoonish. There are other silly things in the game so ... I guess we just have to get used to carmageddon getting more and more silly even tho lots of people would prefer perhaps darker, grimmer take =D

And in a sense I think it might have alienated some of potencial customers too =/ BUt more realistic takes beg for visual and mechanical explanations for things like ped tosser, or anvil launcher. And we dont want another twisted metal or crashday either.

The audience had grown up and with them even their taste and perhaps the nihilism aswell =D

But hey the direction is what it is and sometimes we need to roll with the punches...

It's obvious Stainless went more for a "lulzy" and humourous direction this time. IMO the sound effects and the brighter blood do fit the more cartoonish design of C: MD. C1 was more like a dark, gritty comic in mood. I don't really bother, as long as the core Carmageddon features are there and I'd say they did a great job on C: MD. It's as good as C1 and C2 and even exceeding them in some regards. The damage model is fantastic! Only thing missing is more meaty collisions like in C2. But it's not as bad as it was in C: R, they definately improved on that aspect, so cars do feel more weighty.

For me personally, I'd prefer cars to buy with credits, but that's a matter of taste. In the long term run it doesn't matter anyway, since I guess most people will play Freeplay and Multiplayer in the future.
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

I am going to mod that sound away and replace it with This one

Lololol
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine wrote:
CzechDeath wrote:hahah I didn't like the effect either...

It's obvious Stainless went more for a "lulzy" and humourous direction this time. IMO the sound effects and the brighter blood do fit the more cartoonish design of C: MD. C1 was more like a dark, gritty comic in mood. I don't really bother, as long as the core Carmageddon features are there and I'd say they did a great job on C: MD. It's as good as C1 and C2 and even exceeding them in some regards. The damage model is fantastic! Only thing missing is more meaty collisions like in C2. But it's not as bad as it was in C: R, they definately improved on that aspect, so cars do feel more weighty.

For me personally, I'd prefer cars to buy with credits, but that's a matter of taste. In the long term run it doesn't matter anyway, since I guess most people will play Freeplay and Multiplayer in the future.

C2 and meaty collisions? Haven't noticed. C1, on the other hand, had massive collisions.
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine
hit n run

Post by Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine »

Kejnel wrote:C2 and meaty collisions? Haven't noticed. C1, on the other hand, had massive collisions.
Pretty sure it's the same. You may feel like it, because the cars in C1 felt more sturdy. But the way the cars behave during and after collisions was spot on in C2 (C1 too). Almost like in those car crash video compilations on Youtube.
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

I dunno, i kinda like the auditory and visual cues for when the opponent is stunned, the CLANK! is satisfying and the little rotating stars are instantly recognizable. It also lasts for long enough to know to turn around and ram them again! It's technically good game design.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

FatCat wrote:I dunno, i kinda like the auditory and visual cues for when the opponent is stunned, the CLANK! is satisfying and the little rotating stars are instantly recognizable. It also lasts for long enough to know to turn around and ram them again! It's technically good game design.

My thoughts exactly :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Psyrgery wrote:I am going to mod that sound away and replace it with This one

Lololol

Nice sounds! )
helomyname
turbo bastard

Post by helomyname »

I can't stand it either. You have badass cars, badass environments, badass music. I'm heading down to slam into somebody full force, and instead of a badass crash, i get a "comedy" dwang sound?

It happens after every single collision and gets boring really quickly, what hell is it even doing there. If it were an easter egg that happened very rarely, like the reload animations in battlefield games, I would understand.That way its funny when and if it happens. Nothing is less funny than a joke being told over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Im surprised this even has to be said, and im even more surprised the community here seems so okay with it.
Kejnel
speed freak

Post by Kejnel »

Helomyname wrote:I can't stand it either. You have badass cars, badass environments, badass music. I'm heading down to slam into somebody full force, and instead of a badass crash, i get a "comedy" dwang sound?

It happens after every single collision and gets boring really quickly, what hell is it even doing there. If it were an easter egg that happened very rarely, like the reload animations in battlefield games, I would understand.That way its funny when and if it happens. Nothing is less funny than a joke being told over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

Im surprised this even has to be said, and im even more surprised the community here seems so okay with it.

Erm... do you realise it is an actual game feature, that has impact on gameplay, right? It is not just a visual joke. It stuns opponents...
If you want to report bugs or want to ask for features DO NOT USE FORUM FOR THAT! Instead send it to developers HERE: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
helomyname
turbo bastard

Post by helomyname »

The collision itself is enough to leave an opponent stunned. The effects are not needed and if anything, they are a downgrade from the other games.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

How is it a "downgrade"? The whole point of the effect is so people are actually aware of the fact an opponent is stunned and can react accordingly. The stars are so you can tell at a quick glance that an opponent is stunned and the sound is so you can tell that you have stunned an opponent even when the impact has knocked it out of view.

I really don't get the complaints about it being a "comedy" effect given the fact comedy has always been a big part of the games... Hell the most demanded C1 feature people want added to the game is the Pratcam and that was entirely a "comedy effect", it has no other purpose than comedy, complete with cartoon style eyes popping out of Max & Die's head. Carmageddon is undeniably a comedy game.
a.k.a. Brent
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

Totally agree with trent ... and like this effect.
Leatherface 74
pedestrian

Post by Leatherface 74 »

Trent wrote:How is it a "downgrade"? The whole point of the effect is so people are actually aware of the fact an opponent is stunned and can react accordingly. The stars are so you can tell at a quick glance that an opponent is stunned and the sound is so you can tell that you have stunned an opponent even when the impact has knocked it out of view.

I really don't get the complaints about it being a "comedy" effect given the fact comedy has always been a big part of the games... Hell the most demanded C1 feature people want added to the game is the Pratcam and that was entirely a "comedy effect", it has no other purpose than comedy, complete with cartoon style eyes popping out of Max & Die's head. Carmageddon is undeniably a comedy game.

Well said .

Now if only governments would think like that, specifically back in the day .
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Hah i hated this effect... IMO leaving opponents stunned with visual communication where CAR STOPPED DRIVING for a while, like in carmageddon 2 would be enough. But hey I'm not the developer. I guess it was attempt (successful) to communicate even to the dumbest of the dumb, that car is stunned. And that's how games today are -> made for dumbest of the dumb. You can see that on the outline that power up barrels picked up as if BRIGHT ORANGE AND RED was not visible enough.

Shining overlays on objects,outlines, blinking items, arrows telling you "hey retard over here!" invisible walls etc. I am huge enemy of such methods. Unfortunately it is standard. I don't think stainless or any other company has really much choice in that. People would whine that their little goldfish brains don't understand what is happening on the screen and thus would hate the product.

So I say what I say always to this. WE NEED OPTIONS! Let people who don't need visual handholding clutter vomited all over their games to TURN THAT OFF. I expected Stainless to be kinda rebels and would not confirm to today's trends in that regard, but that would only hurt their profits and we as fans need them to earn lots of money if we wanna see Carmageddon live.

I'm just getting too old for this shit.. soon all games gonna turn into superfast Tron like lsd trip where even the ground will have blinking fucking overly just so even dumbest people that somehow still have income to dish out, don't get lost in that straight corridor.
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

May you just find this "very hated files"?

1. AI_Stunned_Start.mp3

2. AI_Stunned_Loop_1.wav

3. AI_Stunned_Loop_2.wav

4. AI_Stunned_Loop_3.wav

5. AI_Stunned_Loop_4.wav

6. AI_Stunned_End.mp3

8-)
Psyrgery
speed freak

Post by Psyrgery »

Here's the new and improved ©Psyrgery's stunned opponents sounds

No need to thank me for the effort, really!

Just replace the sounds in your Audio.zad file -> /Audio/Crash_Sounds/ folder.

Enjoy!
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

Perfect! :-)
Steel_Blueflame
mechanic

Post by Steel_Blueflame »

Helomyname wrote: Im surprised this even has to be said, and im even more surprised the community here seems so okay with it.

Hey, not everyone thinks like you.... shocking i know :O

Check who’s online