Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Being nitpicky but this is making me nuts

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Is this normal? (look at the frame rate) I only got lower frame rates in that part so far. I'm using Nglide, is it a problem on my end or is the game engine just like that.

Fuel
speed freak

Post by Fuel »

Yeah I found it was nglide. After asking over at the cwa board and then using dgvoodoo as they suggest, it fixed the problem for me.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Also, with nGlide, if you hide the HUD (F1 key) you should get a handful of fps back.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

I see, I installed nGlide (even though I already had it included in the Carma release). Do i Uninstall it? and I have to extract the contents of the folder in the Carma2 directory, no? Sorry for the questions, I looked up the instructions but they are pretty vague. Says to extract things to the "System" folder.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

You can force Carmageddon 2 to play in Direct3D mode by making a shortcut to CARMA2_HW.EXE, then adding "-d3d" as a launch option. I have to do that if I wanted to play C2 without needin' a Glide emulator, which shouldn't be necessary.

...Man, wish hifi could make a seperate version of the cnc-ddraw mod for C2, or at least something similar to it. It might not happen and instead Stainless'll actually remake it in the Beelzebub engine, like Carmageddon Funsize.
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Hey, well if I do that then I can't run it on 1680x1050 :(

I tried placing dgVoodoo files on the games directory but It seems the game does not detect the wrapper :( I'm using version1.50 beta2
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Okay I actually got dgVooDoo 1.50 installed but the menu was all laggy and buggy and the game had serious lag problems with dgVoodoo. I think NGlide is better but still gives me those 45fps (the difference is really noticeable when it goes down from 60 to 45) :(

Also when the frame drop occurs GPU usage % goes from 9% (normal carmageddon usage) to 38% for some reason! I have a gtx980 (not trying to brag) ,is it still normal for it to have those drops?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Really? That's a bit weird, usually dgVoodoo works better performance-wise than nGlide. Did you try dgVoodoo 2 too? It's been progressing greatly lately.

Other thing that crosses my mind: if you happen to have an integrated chipset like Intel Graphics 4000 etc. make sure the game is using your GTX980 and is not actually running on the Intel chip.

Another thing, with nGlide you can restore proper proportions (4:3), it might also improve performance a little..? But it'll add black bars left and right.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Really? That's a bit weird, usually dgVoodoo works better performance-wise than nGlide. Did you try dgVoodoo 2 too? It's been progressing greatly lately.

Other thing that crosses my mind: if you happen to have an integrated chipset like Intel Graphics 4000 etc. make sure the game is using your GTX980 and is not actually running on the Intel chip.

Another thing, with nGlide you can restore proper proportions (4:3), it might also improve performance a little..? But it'll add black bars left and right.
I'll let the pic speak for itself :D

Spoiler:

Works perfectly now! What I did (in case anyone wants to do it as well)

Downloaded the last version of dgVoodoo (2.42 as of Feb 4th). I extracted it on the Carmageddon2 directory and also replaced the files (extracted the contents of MS and 3dfx onto the Carma directory as well and replaced the glide.dlls (idk if that's necessary tho). I also deleted nglide.exe just in case. Thank you very much! I should try this for Carma1! :)

Settings:

Spoiler:

Thanks a lot really.! :)
c4rm4g3dd0n
pedestrian

Post by c4rm4g3dd0n »

Updating to nGlide 1.03 helps as well (GOG's release is bundled with older version). You need to run nGlide installer and remove glide2x dll from C2 dir.
Dani_75_Hun
pedestrian

Post by Dani_75_Hun »

For me, dgVoodoo once gave a BSOD. I tried again forcing windowed mode, then it killed my video card driver.

So far the only Glide emulator that worked is zeckensack's glidewrapper.

Check who’s online