Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

CWA slowly getting quite old: a look back

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

CWA slowly getting quite old: a look back

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Being the nostalgic-type, I like to spend my time looking at the past rather than doing actual work. Here's how CWA has evolved since 1998:
CWA, circa 1998
CWA, circa 1998
cwa_1998.png (65.71 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
http://www.cgiforme.com/cgibin/8267/wwwboard.html
CWA, circa 1999
CWA, circa 1999
cwa_1999.png (63.41 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
http://www.gamersx.com/messages/overview.asp?board_id=6165
CWA, circa 2000
CWA, circa 2000
cwa_2000.png (69.41 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
http://dtd.gaming-city.net/cgi-bin/wwwboard/wwwboard.html
CWA, 2000-2001 era
CWA, 2000-2001 era
cwa_2000-2001.png (96.37 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
http://dtd.niteshade.net/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=CWA+Message+Board
CWA, 2001-2002 transition
CWA, 2001-2002 transition
cwa_2001_2002.png (117.17 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
http://dtd.niteshade.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
CWA, 2002-2011 era
CWA, 2002-2011 era
cwa_2002-2011.png (120.28 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
CWA, 2011-2012 transition
CWA, 2011-2012 transition
cwa_2011-2012.png (129.14 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
http://www.cwaboard.com
CWA, 2012- present days...
CWA, 2012- present days...
cwa_2012-now.png (176.71 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Really impressive how Coffeycup has been able to stick around and hold it together for so long. It also seems like he's the only one from the oldest veterans still around for real (CWR occasionaly, Ratty in IRC). Other veterans still kicking are Deep_Blue, Econobrick, and Errol.

A little timeline:
CWA timeline
CWA timeline
cwa_history.png (38.51 KiB) Viewed 16026 times
I think we could write a book about the polygonized era. So much stuff happened in 9 years.

's all!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Tags:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: CWA slowly getting quite old: a look back

Post by Deep_Blue »

Wow. History....

Lotta stuff DID happen '02-'11

Beasty's one of my Faceybook friends. I understand he's test-driving cars for a living.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

OMG that brings back memories! Brings a tear to my eye as well, those were the days!

Almost forgot about that CarMACgeddon animated gif with rotating tire and dripping blood, haha.

Thanks for the laugh Tosh!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

cwa16.png
cwa16.png (28.58 KiB) Viewed 15966 times
Happy 16th CWA, heres to many more! :beer:
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Congratulations on 16 years of Carma support and hopefully many more years to come! :D

:saston:

[EDIT] Do I have some sort of custom background on my posts? Awesome! :D
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Wow, 16 years is a long time. I remember stumbling across the forum in 98 or 99, though only started posting (infrequently) when the site moved to DTD in 2000. I laughed out loud when I just saw a reply from me on there titled "you need help" haha. No idea what is was saying in it as the post isn't cached. Hard to believe is was just a nipper aged 15 back then!

Great trip down memory lane, Tosh!
a.k.a. Brent
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hah awesome! Look at those first message boards... :) You kept a good track of the sites history tosh, were you a member all this time? Even though I joined in 2006/07, which is quite late, I have a lot of good memories of this board. I hope many more will come! Happy 16 years everyone!
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Wow I've always wondered what the forum looked like back in the day :)
16 years is quite a achievement :beer:
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

So many communities that can't even dream of sticking around for more than 5 years. And then there's CWA with 16 years, probably not even its half-life! I like how the first few screenshots just REEK of year 2000...
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
Beast
The Man

Post by Beast »

I'm still around, lurking. ;)

Damn, CWA is getting old. Actually, we're all getting old.

I have nothing but gratitude to the guys running the boards now. You guys have kept it all alive!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Beast wrote:Damn, CWA is getting old. Actually, we're all getting old.
You can say that again! Hey B, good to see you alive and kicking. :smile:

Looking at some of those old topics is jogging my memory. Like the Yabba-Dabba-Do one is for my reskin of Hong Kong Phooey to Dino the Dinosaur, heh. Back when all we could pretty much do was reskin existing cars! Well, most of us at least...
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

It's interesting to think how much the world at large has changed outside of CWA, and to contrast it with the reassuring presence here. Both the small, solid core and the passing waves of fellow fanatics, all at different points in the obsessive-creative-curious curve that ultimately brings them here.

Third Reich mod by CC & Crimson. Crimson being featured in a massive Carmageddon feature in PCZone magazine. Mass' much heralded Viper, the rivalries, the Comedy Central fake-takedown of Errol's Southparkgeddon, Shoe's KITT that practically everyone in the community worked on at some point, writing for sites with massive and passionate readership, the two Diggers... the mother-load more commonly known as the Cameron Cars! Too many highlights and memories to list exhaustively so I'll stop here. What sticks out in particular for the rest of you?

I definitely don't miss Eye Candy photoshop filters as seen on more than one fan site logo at the turn of the millennium (not wanting to single NX out for the perfect example showcased in the webring cycle in the 2000 screenshot.. webrings.. wow do you remember those?:))

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty sure I've made lifelong friends here in this community.

Thanks everyone :)
Last edited by matt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

Congrats all, and well done keeping this place alive :)
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

I enjoyed the 'rivalries' that the sites had, Matt-
People trying to release the best cars and attract the best car makers to their own sites, and as you say, actually putting in a fair bit of work to write news posts that were more than just "Released a new car, get it [here]". We're talking "Hold on to your helmets, Carma fans. X has done it again with another perfect model for you mashing maniacs!" heh. Aaah takes me back ;P

Actually, I remember 'applying' for a skinning role on Defect's site back in the day (Whatever was before Neurotic Circle, if anyone remembers?).

Hope we get another similar feel when some C:R mods properly start rolling around.
random_monkey
NAPALM-X
Menace

Post by NAPALM-X »

BOO!

Guess who?

Saw a post on facebook about this, was cool seeing the nostalgic shots of the forum!

Been a long time friends!

What's going on?

----==[ NAPALM-X ]==----
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

Hard to believe it has been so long. Thanks everyone for letting me be a part of this.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

NAPALM-X wrote:What's going on?
Hey N-X! Jeez long time. Click thru a couple of threads to see what's going on. Though it's been kinda quiet lately. What's been up with you?
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

I came across CWA about 10 years ago, but only dared joining 5 years later. Anyway; well done guy's for keeping the old girl going and here's to many more years to come :thumbsup:
Alan
Honkey

Post by Alan »

Wow, it's been that long? Nice to see so many people still around! I recognized a lot of those names on those screenshots, I'm sure I bugged most of them for help at one point or another. :grin:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Heh quite a good bunch of veterans in here :sbsmile:
It all makes me feel a bit sad I didn't look up on school computers for Carmageddon sites as soon as '98-'99. Didn't have an internet connection at home until 2003 (which is when I joined the CWA)!

What's really neat with the CWA is how it's been set up, moved, maintained by a lot of different people. And thus it's still here :scool:
Definitely made lifelong friends here too!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Toshiba-3 wrote:What's really neat with the CWA is how it's been set up, moved, maintained by a lot of different people. And thus it's still here :scool:
Definitely made lifelong friends here too!
Yep, the torch has been passed many times over the years and really want to thank everyone who has stepped up and kept this place running.

And thanks Tosh, N3wton and Errol for maintaining and hosting currently. :thumbsup:
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

It's all on Tosh and N3wton now. I just hacked the databases into something like working order.

Tosh has done a fantastic job making the CWA look awesome. Huzzah!
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Boose
turbo bastard

Post by Boose »

Those few minutes, that took reading this thread took me in to memories over the past 15 years, which now makes half of my life. Those years, spent with people around here, with all that enthusiasm we had back then (or still do?:)), definitely had an impact on how i look at things in life. CWA is something that has such an importance to me... especially now, when i see it at this, quite inspiring stage. Stage, when an old squad is somewhat together) What a warm feeling! Matt had hit the point. Exactly. And I have the deepest respect for you, guys. Thank you.

P.S: Funny, how i scroll through pages of addon-cars and just from the name of a model can tell who's an author and what's connected with this model. Some things just don't go away from your head :wink:

P.P.S: there was time, when, at certain point there were not too many people or, perhaps, i would say, nobody was interested in keeping carma community alive (back then polygonized started to host CWA) and that was the point, when i realized, that i was "the keeper" and i should write down and publish all the history of CC with all the detail and interviews from it's ancestors, with all the interesting facts and credits... and i never did) lazy me! it would be interesting to read now, since i had a clear objective view at what happened back then, through all those years. I never did it and now i can't remember shit! what a drama) So, whenever i see same old guys around, i don't feel, that something is lost, since the real fathers of CWA are still here and can tell you what's been up 16 years back.

P.P.P.S: I still have all the stuff ever related to carma, archived in a safe place, with a few things everybody forgot about :thumbsup: I'll try to post something "heartbreaking" soon :smile:
ImageImage
Beer galore!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Boooooose! Hey. We love seeing long forgetten 'gems' ha. Old timers AND old files!

Check who’s online