Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Android Carma on PC Works!

Chat about funsize Carmageddon for Android and iOS!
DJK
mechanic

Post by DJK »

Hey all,

I today found a way to play the new mobile version on Windows. This is using the Bluestacks Android emulator. I already own carmageddon on mobile but never liked touch/tilt controls. (and don't like the screen size).

I am not going to do a step by step here (but feel free to pm me if you need help) but basically it's not all that hard to do... and it works perfect :)

Benefits over regular GoG Carmageddon (or vanilla)

- Updated graphics

- Unlock system (race, carnage and all peds) for each race

- Keyboard or Xbox 360 controller controls (configurable in the Bluestacks emulator)

Screenshot:
www.mediansoft.net/carma.jpg

Currently Im looking to find a way to hide the mobile control display (the arrow symbols and handbrake/accelerating buttons) from the HUD as I have no use for them. They can be "hiden" more or less by moving them all together as far out of screen as possible but that's not a 100% solution. Also planning on digging through the files to see if I can increase draw distance as my pc is ofc more powerful than my phone :)

Now I'm not sure if Stainless is okay with this ? It doesn't hurt Stainless profit line as I bought the game on mobile anyway but if there is any problem with playing that mobile version on Windows feel free to remove this post.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

errr i've already mentioned it here http://www.carmageddon.com/comment/43841#comment-43841 about 3 mounth ago, but of course it was just a reply in topic, besides there is no such a secret or revolutionary solution by using bluestacks, because every os have it's own emulator.

Anyway, the main benefit is still updated graphics with lightning and bump-maps, but the port have the lack of original gameplay due to some minor changes (this is certainly my imho).

In addition, if you want to hide on-screen buttons you can always update files in game apk (making them transparent), but you should to convert them to png or tga first, edit and then convert back.

And i'm pretty sure Stainless is ok with it, because as far the game is legit, this is your concern where to launch it.
DJK
mechanic

Post by DJK »

Hey hazardic. Sorry, I did know of your reply in that thread :( I recently found this myself so I thought it was neat :) I tried opening the .obb file (which holds the game data I guess) but I think it is encrypted so not sure how to proceed with that. Thanks for the reply!
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

well i can only advise to try Google Android SDK for Win - it supports .obb, .apk and .dex files/

but when i wanted to extract extdam icons (for my c1 modding purposes) from fun-size carma, i extracted'em from ios version, using noesis tools, provided by Toshiba.

anyway, there are some other ways to open .obb files, for example here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2339176 it opens directly from phone using astro file manager:

For edit .obb files in android you need:

- ASTRO file manager from google play (free)

Steps:

1. Find file with .obb end by astro

2. Rename .obb to .zip

3. Open with astro. You can edit files inside, add some mods, update etc.

4. When you end editing files just rename it back from .zip to .obb and close.

#NOTE:

Tested and work in jelly bean 4.1.2, but i saw there are problems for android 4.2 in " android/obb" with files...

#NOTE for point 2.

Don't end with ".rar", use only ".zip"

But i didn't try this method. You can always try
DJK
mechanic

Post by DJK »

I have no Android phone so not sure of all the things you mention. I did try to rename .obb to .zip but that doesn't let me unpack it. I guess I need a tool for windows that can open obb files :)
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

i've already suggested you such a tool, please read attentively - it's Google Android SDK for Win
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

Post by Mr.Deviance »

How can I set up this game to work with keyboard or with a 360 gamepad?

I have no fucking idea.

I tried an app that claims to help but apparently that app requires rooting and bluestacks can't be rooted currently, due to having been updated and the rooting apps for it no longer work at this time.

I was able to force my native monitor's resolution and anisotropic filtering into android games.

I am almost ready to play the android carmageddon full screen at 1920x1200 res with a constant 60fps!

It looks beyond amazing! All that I need now, is to get my keyboard or 360 gamepad to work with it because the only controls for it are tilt or touch screen based.

BlueStacks has become quite amazing! It can run any HD game I throw at it, without the smallest of problems!

Being able to change it's resolution from the registry, is also kickass because now everything looks cristal clear!

If I find a way to force antialiasing into games too, it will be the best way to play android games bar none!
Steel_Blueflame
mechanic

Post by Steel_Blueflame »

Mr.Deviance wrote:bluestacks can't be rooted currently

Android dev here, Bluestacks most certainly can be rooted and i have done it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565644
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Post by MrDeviance »

Steel_Blueflame wrote:
Mr.Deviance wrote:bluestacks can't be rooted currently

Android dev here, Bluestacks most certainly can be rooted and i have done it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2565644

It certainly can be rooted. At the moment of my post there was a problem with the tools to root it but not anymore.

I made a post around the forum some months ago, where I detailed how great carmageddon 1 works on pc on a rooted bluestacks after you edit bluestack's full screen resolution via the registry, you can get a pure native res on your tv or monitor and if you remove the nav bar of bluestacks with an app that requires root, you can get the full hd experience of carmageddon 1 on a tv or pc at a solid 60 fps even on shittier laptops.

The only problem that keeps it from being perfect on pc is the fact that it doesn't yet support recover and repair on the gamepad / keyboard and an option to remove the onscreen keys.

Read my posts in this topic here http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/25376?page=1

Check who’s online