Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

SLI and CrossFire

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
jakstak
pedestrian

SLI and CrossFire

Post by jakstak »

Hi :)

I have asked this a few times on the stream but its way to busy there to get an answer

so i thought its time to post it here in the hops one of the team spots it and can answer it for me

I run a pair of nvidia cards in sli and when i run carma i see its only using one card and maxing out at 50% use

When i disable sli i get the warning carmageddon reincarnation has an sli profile but its not working at all

Even with a single card the game doesn't seem to ever load the card over 50%

Now if i enable Alternate frame rates i get great fps and the cards still do 50% each but the lighting flashes and strobes

So my question is simply are you working with sli for the release or will you make sli work at a later date

I do think that a 600 pound card should run the game at over 30fps and i know you have worked hard to improve things

So please don't read my post as a complaint im very happy with the game and just hope it will get better and better performance

I'm happy that i can play the game well so its not a huge issue but it would be nice to use both cards and have the game fly along

Thank You :)

Jak
tonrac
speed freak

SLI and CrossFire

Post by tonrac »

i am dreaming of an official sli support for my 980m sli laptop too ...;)
Freeride Forever
turbo bastard

SLI and CrossFire

Post by Freeride Forever »

Haha yeah no doubt you run it half decent OP with that monster. No fuckin' doubt. Only 24 GB RAM to feed that 24 thread set-up? Hmmm.

Are you saying that you still only get around 30 FPS on that rig? Is that what you call "well"? O.o
tonrac
speed freak

SLI and CrossFire

Post by tonrac »

@Freeride: he mean "playable" at high setting, high resolution with fps between 35 and 45-50.

The game in the actual version must use only 12-20% of one of his xeon (70%-80% of one core), 50-60% of one of his GTX980 and only 4 Gb of Ram

Probably, he wrote "well" because he was conscious that the actual beta release is absolutely not optimized ...

You know that, we know that ... we can be agree to the fact that maybe Stainless had better wait unstead of releasing a non optimized version of the beta that is feature complete.

But please, do me a favor, wait the release of the beta update next week before writing again on performance issue.

I have nothing against you, but your aggressiveness in other thread is quite annoying.

We all know your point of view, and are agreed that v0.9.0.6681 doesn't perform as the game should and wait with impatience the beta update.

The question of this topic is not related on performance issue, it's more about: "is there a chance to have sli /crossfire support someday ?" and "Do you already plan to support it?"

I doubt that we will have an official answer (maybe it's too soon to ask) because i don't know if sli profile is an Nvidia task, and if Nvidia want a support contract to do this.
jakstak
pedestrian

SLI and CrossFire

Post by jakstak »

Well when i first run the game i do get 60 to 70fps but after a few levels im lucky to see 30 average and often see it drop to low 20s

You can also see stainless steels own titan black drop to around 20 too so obviously nothing wrong my end lol

Any other games i can max out with a single card clocked at 1600mhz :) Add the second card and its pretty damn amazing

Carma hardly touches my rig in fact it will go to the blank screensaver while the game is running as its hardly using any of its resources

so my screen goes to sleep lol

Most new games i can get between 60 to 100 per card (120 to 200) sli and id love to have carma the same and i think it will be once they do the sli

Again its not a complaint its an observation and there helpful for stainless to find bugs etc

Thanks

Jak

Peace love and mowing down peds :)
tonrac
speed freak

SLI and CrossFire

Post by tonrac »

Strange result as i got 33 average, with rarely low 27 fps to high 44 with a 980m (that in perf is equal to an underclocked GTX970).

Don't force AFR, it kill performance ... if i force AFR my fps drop to 9 - 14 fps
jakstak
pedestrian

SLI and CrossFire

Post by jakstak »

Since the update ive been getting great fps i get from 60 min to 85fps now on a single card

Sli is still very broken and as you said b4 you can no longer use afr to get around it

Now i have a new prob since the latest update my game will no longer save

Every time i run the game i get the we have reset your visuals etc

Hopefully others have the same prob and can help me sort it out

Cheers :)

Jak
Lord Crisp
pedestrian

SLI and CrossFire

Post by Lord Crisp »

I'm amazed that we haven't even gotten an official reply on, if we're getting CrossFire/SLI support.

Please Stainless, get this implemented :-) the game already doesn't perform awesomely, and us with the extra card to make it better is left in the mud :-(

I love this game, but would love it even more if I could suddenly have like 80% better performance

At least give an official reply about it... that would at least bring closure (or an uprising, which would show you it's more important than anticipated)
Trent
mindless

SLI and CrossFire

Post by Trent »

They announced that they added SLI & Crossfire support in Update 1. It's explained in this knowledgebase article: https://carmageddon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204313012-How-do-I-enable-Crossfire-SLI-support-
a.k.a. Brent
tonrac
speed freak

SLI and CrossFire

Post by tonrac »

Yeah, but unfortunately, doing this has no effect ... the second gpu stay calm. So sli is inefficient now ...
Lord Crisp
pedestrian

SLI and CrossFire

Post by Lord Crisp »

Lol... guess I'm the fool now then :-(

And Tonrac. I'll try it out when I get home today... I'm running CrossFire, so maybe I'm lucky... will try remembering to report back here if it works or not
RiOrus
turbo bastard

SLI and CrossFire

Post by RiOrus »

I tried this a while back, on the previous build, and it did the same thing... didn't operate other card. I haven't experimented yet with update #2 but my average FPS from the brief play I had yesterday was worse than the previous build but still perfectly playable, dropped from 40 to around 30.

That was with all settings maxed out though (which they were previously as well).

I have since updated to Win10 though and my Nvidia control panel settings reset in doing this, so I'll have to go through and have a play around again before I post garbage.
Lord Crisp
pedestrian

SLI and CrossFire

Post by Lord Crisp »

Update for earlier post....

running 7970s in CrossFire and this does not work...

It doesn't use the second card after activating it.

I can however force CrossFire on with 2 other options, which is "AFR Friendly" which flickers so much that it's unplayable.

And "Optimize 1x1" which DO use the second card, but still seems to make me LOSE something like 8fps in average :/

I do have a final option of using a profile from a similar game in the same engine, BUT... Stainless build this themselfes, so I'm out of luck there to :(
RiOrus
turbo bastard

SLI and CrossFire

Post by RiOrus »

So I wasn't talking garbage.

Set up SLI as per profiles for all other games (which works incidentally). For Carma I'm getting GPU1 sit at 41% usage, the other is at 100%. Correct they are both being used but GPU sits at 40% when simple running the operating system and windows UI.

In this set up i'm getting 35 FPS max pretty much, steady at 30 FPS.

With a single GPU it runs at 25 to 30FPS.

Any thoughts?
Lord Crisp
pedestrian

SLI and CrossFire

Post by Lord Crisp »

Heh... at least you're getting an increase in frames :-P ;-)

Mine drops by something like 8-10fps using two cards
RiOrus
turbo bastard

SLI and CrossFire

Post by RiOrus »

I'm bumping this thread. any development of multi GPU optimisation or profiles? Cheers.

Check who’s online