Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Game is looking good, but where is wheel support?!

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

I've bought every version of the game, played the Original (even got hosed on a High Octane version) & MaxPack with a couple different Thrustmaster wheels, Carmageddon 2 and (the unmentionalble sequel) with USB wheels from Thrustmaster & Logitech. No offence, but if I wanted to use an Xbox controller, I'd buy a goddamned Xbox.

Its a CAR racing game, its logical to want a working computer steering wheel to play my CAR racing game on my Computer using a racing wheel made for a computer. You guys did it for the all the versions before this one. Please put in the ability to use a computer racing wheel and pedals.
Freeride Forever
turbo bastard

Post by Freeride Forever »

They probably will, since evidently "beta" no longer means "feature complete"

If you buy a goddamned Xbox then you won't be playing Carma:R since the PC is the priority (Stainless should get an award & a blowjob just for that). It's also not REALLY a racing game, so another dumb point you made. :s 3rdly, most people will play with controllers. For every one of you that wants wheel support, there are more of us that just wanna use a game pad. Most gamers don't own, or care to own wheels. I have no interest in using a wheel. I also have no interest in touching anything made by M$ unless I have to. I'm looking forward to using my awesome F710 instead. If you want a wheel, you're a minority. The vast majority want a working game, bug free with adequate performance. Most of us (gamers in gen, not just the forum warriors) would rather have another map than wheel support, but I suspect you'll get your wish.

IF I WANNA HOLD A STEERING WHEEL, I'LL GET A REAL GODDAMNED CAR! How 'bout that for your brain to snack on?
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

Printed right below the Games Title on the front of the box

Carmageddon The Racing Game For The Chemically Imbalanced.
skyNET
turbo bastard

Post by skyNET »

Same ol'... same ol'...

For a more recent discussion, please visit
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/27970

...brought to you by the search feature, in less than 0,23 seconds! It's actually faster than you can type the question you made! And is near the average human reaction time! Wondrous isn't it?
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

We need more "where's wheel support?" treads !

MOAR!
AlexTSK
mindless

Post by AlexTSK »

C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

And more XBox controller users posting in them, stating that they do not want wheel support in C:R. :-)
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

If you queers want to use your controllers, I'm not judging. I'm not even asking they take your support away.

A wheel and a couple of pedals, maybe a few buttons and I'm happy. I can use the keyboard for repair and such if necessary. But without being able to use a wheel why even have cars? Why even call it CARmageddon? How about change the name to CONSOLEmageddon?
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

C2S wrote:

And more XBox controller users posting in them, stating that they do not want wheel support in C:R. :-)

So C:R. should be a console game, not a PC racing\driving game? PC players expect more from a PC game!

I trusted Nobby that we would have wheel support and donated my $25 during the Kickstarter campaign when I read this:

http://app.carmageddon.tv/forum/topic/18413?page=1

hammr25 wrote:23/06/2012

Nobby said this during the Kickstarter campaign:
Nobby wrote:Regarding controllers - Yes, depending on platform we want to support pads and force feedback wheels.

We've got some excellent Logitech controllers that we're keen to get working with the game.

Was I wrong to trust Nobby?

I was surprise there are more pad players than wheel players in this poll over at Bugbear form, but wheel players are not a small minority on the PC.

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,922.0.html

Gamepad, keyboard or a wheel?

Gamepad 80 (43.2%)

Keyboard 49 (26.5%)

Wheel 56 (30.3%)

I spent $1200 on my gaming computer to have some nice eye candy in my racing games, so why would I want to use a pad on the PC when I could use a wheel? And when my grand nieces and nephews visit, they enjoy getting to use the wheel. Some do need some help with the pedals thou. ;)
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

I think you misunderstood me.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

hdon6, you are being a knob. Stop it.

Purple44, you score an F in reading comprehension. You are also being melodramatic. Stop it.

Keep this nonsense up and I'll just start editing both of your posts to be about your budding love affairs with various household objects.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

Errol, I don't think you understand how deep a love you can have with a spatula. Mine is like a stainless steel goddess, sensuous yet stern.

Spoiler:

Errol I don't think it is worth to start censoring posts. There is not really any offensive behaviour.

My opinion is at least some form of wheel support would be nice, even if it would be very basic.

Most of us would rather have another map than wheel support.

That is not valid reason why there should not be wheel support. Same peoples who make maps ( mostly 3d-modelers, 2d- texture makers) doesn't code. So if programmers working on wheel support, that doesn't slowdown modelers work.

How about change the name to CONSOLEmageddon?

With that logic current name of game is PERSONALCOMPUTERmageddon.

deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

KakkaHousu wrote:My opinion is at least some form of wheel support would be nice, even if it would be very basic.

Ok, if you insist so much. Very basic? Done. Game works with my Microsoft Force Feedback Steering Wheel (USB) (10+ years old?). Pedals do not work properly, they seem to be bound to the right joystick/dpad, which makes it always scroll down (or up, can't remember) in menus. Steering, though, works flawlessly, and all the other buttons (just badly placed).

Keep in mind, no changes to the game were done.

There you go, a very basic form of wheel support in a BETA game that does not officially support steering wheels. Everyone should be happy. Now just wait until we can fiddle with the settings, and then it'll probably work on a couple more steering wheels.
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

Errol, you Ministry of Truth.

@Deadsheep OK, nice to hear. No feedback at any form? Even rumble effect?
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

I played with it turned off (didn't connect the FF power supply) so I can't comment on that.
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

Be happy with a wheel but pedals wont work. Sure, if every time you hit the DPad it turns your computer off. Sound like a fair trade?
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Girls! Pleeease! You are ALL pretty! Ha! (But including steering controller support is a pretty obviously a no-brainer for this game.)
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

C2S wrote:

C2S wrote:I think you misunderstood me.
I'm confuse, you are not a pad player that thinks it OK if C:R does not have support for a wheel for us that prefer to use a wheel with PC racing\driving games?

No wheel support make C:R a console-ize PC game, then I can not recommend to my online friends to buy C:R any more since most are like me and use a wheel.

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,2046.0.html

Yeti wrote:I hope it has multi support for most controllers, I remember using my old T2 steering wheel on Carmageddon 1+2, oh god those were the days :)
I can wait for wheel support if need be, but from what I have read in the forum recently, it sound like wheel support is off the to do list. :(
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Post by KakkaHousu »

I'm confuse, you are not a pad player that thinks it OK if C:R does not have support for a wheel for us that prefer to use a wheel with PC racing\driving games?
Look, first CzechDeath posted this.

Meaning that there are already many threads about wheel support. Then C2S answered this.

Blame CzechDeath is pad player, who is against wheel support.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Yes, though to clarify, my remark was directed at the pad users against wheel support in general, instead of CzechDeath.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

I primarely use keyboard... okay ... yes sometimes I play CR on gamepad... when I feel like it...

Am I against anything? NO...

Do I think that being unhappy about lack of wheel support, is your problem and does not mean that devs. should do anything about that? YES

Do I think that maybe they will add it later, YES it is possible...

Do you blame me for your problems? Well they are YOUR problems, you are only one who can solve them no matter who you blame..

=D so there....
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

So, you apparently are happy with nerfing it down to Mario Cart?
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

hdon6 wrote:So, you apparently are happy with nerfing it down to Mario Cart?
Only If I shared your your "Mario cart nerfing" view, which not only I don't share, but I find it offensive thowards the devs, butthurt and unfair....

Am I happy with how I experience CR? Oh yea...
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

hdon6 wrote:Sure, if every time you hit the DPad it turns your computer off. Sound like a fair trade?
Where did you read that it turns your computer off? Because it doesn't. It's usable (the scrolling doesn't even get in the way when driving), just needs a pedal fix and maybe a better button layout - but that last one is something us players can do. (I haven't yet looked at it).

Remember, it's a BETA, things are unfinished, and while they said that wheels are not in the scope (for now, at least), it doesn't mean it will not work. After all, this +10 year old steering wheel seems to be half supported by the game already... something that even The Crew BETA didn't succeed at, it was actually worse than Carmageddon Reincarnation BETA, using the steering wheel turned the game into a less than 1FPS slideshow. And that was a Triple A beta, so... relax?

(can't comment if it works in the current The Crew version, as I didn't buy the game and don't plan to)
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

deadsheep wrote:
hdon6 wrote:Sure, if every time you hit the DPad it turns your computer off. Sound like a fair trade?

Where did you read that it turns your computer off? Because it doesn't. It's usable

(can't comment if it works in the current The Crew version, as I didn't buy the game and don't plan to)

Methinks he was being a smidge of a smartass about the D-pad. Heh heh.

I do have to say that stating Steering Controllers are unimportant because 'most people don't use them' isn't fair. How many people are going to be able to use Motion Blur and Multi-threading to the max? Not. Too. Many. But I am glad those features are there. I wouldn't think of saying, "tone the graphics down because many of us can't use it...just give us more maps." WTF?

The argument that C:R isn't a 'driving' or 'racing' game is, at the very least silly as well. I'm NOT asking for 3D Oculus Rift support in the Beta; I am simply putting in my 2 cents worth that I need my wheel for enjoyment of the game. I have not seen it written where the Devs have ruled out support. Could somebody site that for me? If it's true then I am very sad. I will stop my noisy repetitive steering wheel pleas and walk away from Stainless Games abandoned and heartbroken. The Carmageddon franchise in it's entirety (as ridiculous as it sounds) has been a HUGE part of my life that has literally gotten me through different struggles in my life. I have brought dozens of my friends to this game. In any social environment where gaming comes up in conversation I fly the Carmageddon flag high! Hahaha! The usual response to my stories are disbelief and curiosity to try it out. And more often than not, when a Carma Fanboi is born they come to life with a wheel in their hands. Especially if I have anything to do with it.

So please, Nobby, Shane, Stainless, Carma devs one and all, anyone who will listen: Don't write me off with a shrug. Pardon my dramatics, but this really is as important to me as the Eagle being red with a razor fin on top.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Nobody? Nobody can confirm or deny that stainless has chosen NOT to support steering controllers? So I can assume was never discussed?
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Servo451 wrote:Nobody? Nobody can confirm or deny that stainless has chosen NOT to support steering controllers? So I can assume was never discussed?
You are free to assume whatever you feel like. It was disscused during stream session last year and status was that they are planning to implement that later...

You know, because games kinda aren't made over night with everything implemented at once especially in beta version...

You gotta give things time to happen man =D
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Excellent! That is all I needed. There was a lot of talk about it being out of scope and I hadn't seen that officially stated anywhere. So, thank you! I don't understand the smartass comment about games not being made overnight though. I never suggested that they were? But thank you for the citation about it being discussed! The information *IS* appreciated. Have a nice day.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Servo45I wrote: don't understand the smartass comment about games not being made overnight though. I never suggested that they were?
LOL =D that is just me being smartass annoying troll... all in good mood tho =D feel free to ignore blarps like that =D
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Would of be nice if Nobby had confirm wheel support was still on the to do list in this March 4th stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/carmageddon/b/632590433

At least Nobby said text chat will get added to multiplayer. ( at 41:43 in video ) That good news!!!

But without wheel support being confirm for sure, I can not recommend C:R any more.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Purple44 wrote:Would of be nice if Nobby had confirm wheel support was still on the to do list in this March 4th stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/carmageddon/b/632590433

At least Nobby said text chat will get added to multiplayer. ( at 41:43 in video ) That good news!!!

But without wheel support being confirm for sure, I can not recommend C:R any more.

wheel was mentioned in some older streams... from last year... I watched every stream... so it was there somewhere...
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Not playing the game just because it doesn't have full native support for wheels is just cutting off your nose to spite your face. During the Kickstarter Nobby said that supporting steering wheels in the game is something which they want to support, but there are many other things which they wanted to do with the game which have fallen out of scope because of the huge amount of work the game has taken for the size of the team.

They still want to support as many input devices as they can but if they don't then it's not the end of the world and if the steering wheel diehards will stop being bigoted about input devices they will discover the game is fun no matter how they control it.

I do find rather ironic that some are bitching about the game having controller support and not wheel support when wheels and controllers are pretty much identical from a low level input standpoint, they use the same APIs so supporting controllers, which are far more common than wheels, gives the base for wheel support to be implemented on. If using a steering wheel is that important to you then as long as your wheel supports XInput you can now create a custom control file and map your wheel's axis' and buttons to the functions you want them to work on. If they do support wheels natively in the game then chances are it use XInput for them anyway.

If your wheel does not support XInput then you can still get your wheel working with the game by using a tool called Xbox 360 Controller Emulator which allows you to map your wheel input to a pad's input. It took a few seconds googling to find that. If playing the game with a wheel was really that big a deal for you guys then you would have already looked at ways of getting it to work instead of just freaking out and complaining about how awful it is to not support wheels.
a.k.a. Brent
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Wow. That was kinda whiny and dickish. I thought Mr Deviance hacked Trent's account for a second. Just kidding. Much respect, sir. I acknowledge what a force to be reckoned with you are here. I've been reading this forum everyday for years. But I do sorta resent being called bigoted and accused of bitching. I simply asked if there were plans to support wheel controllers. It doesn't seem to me to be "freaking out" to ask such things about a game that is currently in development, especially if it is important to me. There is a lot of fog around the subject and I was only seeking some clarity. Isn't that the point of this forum?

Personally I sometimes like that people get raunchy and rude and passionate about this game, It's not real life. It's even violence and ridiculosity incarnate. Ha! And if someone is out of line here, they get back what they give. But why is it if we don't discuss things that you want discussed in the way you want us to, you pop in and talk down like a school marm and try to marginalize your target? Make fun of me, call me names, insult me, run me over with a dragster with a bloody massive spike on the front of it... but don't dismiss and lecture me like I'm wasting your time. That is so not cool, and I am NOT in your classroom.
skyNET
turbo bastard

Post by skyNET »

Really shouldn't bark into this nonsense but... "if the cap fits, wear it" - if not, well... I think this is the case. You weren't quoted, and it was not your post before his. Now you're free to call me names, and insults. I would leave the dragster part out if possible.

"Personally I sometimes like that people get raunchy and rude and passionate about this game, It's not real life."

Well, you're passionate about wheel support... so yeah. 50-50.

edit

Plus there were tips given how to get the wheel working. If you missed it, well that speaks volumes. See beyond your prejudice.
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

XInput "might" allow a steering wheel to steer, but it won't allow the use of the gas and brake pedals. Btw, it also didn't work with the mods to use a wheel with the original game in Windows 7.

Check who’s online