Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon, doing stupid things since 1998

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Carmageddon, doing stupid things since 1998

Post by Mad_Maxine »

hello!, its science time.

This is just because I dont want to clutter my derby topic with researchy stuff, but I have seen carma doing some odd things.

Number 1:
Only one funk visable at at time aloud?

Animated funk textures in maps,
Wanting to add a rainy map to my demo derby map I made a nice alpha chanel rain effect, from an animation I found on the internet for raindrops hitting the floor, there was 4 textures affected, and each had 4 frames each, I added the first one, looked fine, worked, added the rest, game crashed, removed some untill it worked again,
But at this point the game would only use the Last funk added,.... Maps cant have more than one animated texture visable at one time? I had two textures animate, only the last one did, untill I removed that, and then the other worked again... odd?

Number 2:
Opponents are Not random

In my smashfest mod I spotted a car was not spawning, so I looked into it, it works fine, everythings fine, so I raced some more times but I still never saw it, after thinking about it for a while theres another pretty destinct car I havent spotted ingame.. so I started looking deeper into this, and even made a chart.

The first race on my mod currently has no opponents as im using it for map testing easily, so I started the second race, wich should in theory have the weakest opponents. and figured I was seeing the same cars a lot.

Here is what happend when I started the race 10 times,
the car numbers are just so I can easily keep track of it, but note one of the tougher cars apears 10 out of 10? I find this rather.. odd.

Opponent Number: 0 car number: 00 Rating: -1 Times Apeard: -
Opponent Number: 1 car number: 17 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 2 car number: 06 Rating: 3 Times Apeard: //////////
Opponent Number: 3 car number: 71 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: ///
Opponent Number: 4 car number: 08 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: /
Opponent Number: 5 car number: 19 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: /
Opponent Number: 6 car number: 03 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 7 car number: 91 Rating: 4 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 8 car number: 134 Rating: 4 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 9 car number: 107 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 10 car number: 01 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: /
Opponent Number: 11 car number: 28 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: ////
Opponent Number: 12 car number: 58 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: //
Opponent Number: 13 car number: 35 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 14 car number: 500 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 15 car number: 22 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 16 car number: 05 Rating: 3 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 17 car number: 102 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 18 car number: 65 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: /
Opponent Number: 19 car number: 93 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 20 car number: 78 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 21 car number: 145 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: /
Opponent Number: 22 car number: 125 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: //
Opponent Number: 23 car number: 52 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: /
Opponent Number: 24 car number: 44 Rating: 2 Times Apeard: ///
Opponent Number: 25 car number: 85 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 26 car number: 37 Rating: 2 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 27 car number: 03 Rating: 1 Times Apeard:
Opponent Number: 28 car number: 77 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: ////
Opponent Number: 29 car number: 11 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: ///////
Opponent Number: 30 car number: 108 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: ////////
Opponent Number: 31 car number: 14 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: //////
Opponent Number: 32 car number: 47 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: ///////
Opponent Number: 33 car number: 24 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: ///////
Opponent Number: 34 car number: 46 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: //////
Opponent Number: 35 car number: 10 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: //////
Opponent Number: 36 car number: 99 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: ////
Opponent Number: 37 car number: 62 Rating: 1 Times Apeard: //////
Opponent Number: 38 car number: 36 Rating: 1 Times Apeard:

Carmageddon just seems to prefer spawning some cars over others, maybe something is in the game to make spcific cars more common? that we dident know about before.

Just posting this to see if any of you spotted simler stuff, and I figured some of the more tech people might find it intresting?

My conclusion? carmageddon is just freakin weird, I also came across another issue during the truck mod where if a car is opponent 98 (or somewhere near that) it crashes the game no matter what it is..

So yeah there ya go, some weird infor for yall.

EDIT:
actully I might have to cancel this derby mod, carmageddon is doing everything in its power to make sure my work is utterly wasted, some cars are still refusing to spawn, and worse yet, cars ranked 4 on toughness are now apearing in the first race, even tho nowhere in any of the text files, or anything in the game does it tell them to spawn. they just do.. the whole, car strenth rating and everything is Utterly useless in this mod... Odd since ive never come across this before... ever. I guess I just.. cant mod for shit or something.
all efforts to tweek the settings make things Worse, at one point I had the same cars apearing all the time... this is getting rather hopless it seems.
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Carmageddon, doing stupid things since 1998

Post by coffeycup »

There can be more than one animated texture in a map. The Third Reich II map has multiple animated billboards.

As far as cars showing, random is random. Running map ten times doesn't mean they'll appear equally. I certainly wouldn't cancel the mod over it. Just work on another part of it and see if problem continues. You can always post what you have so we can look into the issue.

But again don't cancel the mod, please.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I know im just doing my drama queen thing :|

Its just very fustrating how I make so many cars, and carma is like.. Nope. im using 10 of these and thats it.

Also cars apearing from higher toughness ratings etc.. it just seems like that part of the game dosent work properly... Tho I added More cars (old cars from s.o.d) and they apeard too. so I guess ill jsut pile fucktons of cars into the mod to atleast give it some variaty.

The most fustrating, angering thing for me, is trying to make variaty, then carmageddon just spawning the same cars over and over.. and One car, for some reson, apears in Every race ive tried today.

Also how the hell did I get here so fast?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Ah, I vaguely remember having issues with this on my destruction derby mod. In the end I decided that all cars were better off having the same strength rating. Finally, I made it so all the cars are in every race as well...

Perhaps this is the best way to go for you too, just giving all cars the same strength rating?

But please don't stop the mod. It looks so promising!

Check who’s online