Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Sketchup mappy-making-ness...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Sketchup mappy-making-ness...

Post by Deep_Blue »

Wow. Thanks QTZ. I think.....
I just read the English help file and I think it made more sense in Japanese. :lol:

Not picking on your effort at all, but Japanese syntax doesn't translate to English well, I guess.

I liked Coffey's translation better:

Hit THIS button to load PIX
Hit THIS OTHER BUTTON to convert to BMP
DON'T fuck with any of these other buttons!

:thumbsup: Werkt fer me! :banana:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

...This is automatic translation... not corrected, except for html codes and other non language stuff, so language is strange, but can be understand especially when looking at screen-shots. As I say this describe how to use transparency mask. Coffey's manual skip this completely. This may be useful when making glass (I guess) or partially transparent textures. So this maybe useful for you in the future.

Edit: So here is short manual made by me

I hope it's clear now :wink: Basically to export/import transparency mask just tick check-box if needed.
Last edited by QTZ on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Oh, OK. Yeah I usually make alpha channeled textures in Paint Shop. I just (now) used pixedit to get my track's map ingame.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

We were talking about making maps not glass. I only use pixedit to generate maps. So there's no need for alpha channel. I use photoshop for all other texture work.

D_B those screens are insane! That's gonna be some kind of map! :beer:
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

OK, I hope this will be useful for someone. Yes, the map look better and better :smile:

Edit: Sorry for maybe stupid question, but why you can't use pix files in game? Are only PT2 pix files are wrong, or in general? This tool can save pix files that author show working in game (transparency mask you need to make in external tool anyway).
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Redid that ugly-ass steel bridge. Much better now-and I suppose you could actully fall off it now if ya really tried to.
steelbr.jpg
steelbr.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
QTZ: I saved your quick manual. Even if I never use those other buttons-at least I know what they do now. Thanks.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Nice bridge D_B! I'm getting dizzy just looking at it. :supercrazy: You'll need to add some windy sound FX to this map!
Note: you're going to get some flickering with all those overlapping transparent textures. Keep that in mind.

QTZ, please start a new PixelEdit thread if you want to discuss that application in detail. This thread is not about Pix files or PixelEdit. I was only answering a specific question D_B had as to why his ingame map was not appearing.

Please keep this on topic, which is D_B's SketchUp map(s). Thanks.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I have moved PixEdit help to new topic - for better access.
This isn't question about the tool directly, but why don't use pix? - as you say in this topic. Anyway my question is here.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

coffeycup wrote:Nice bridge D_B! I'm getting dizzy just looking at it. :supercrazy: You'll need to add some windy sound FX to this map!
Note: you're going to get some flickering with all those overlapping transparent textures. Keep that in mind.
So far I really haven't noticed any the way it is now. (Before when I made "windows" between the girders-THEN it flickered like a bitch, but not now since I redid it.)

Just to make sure-I'll drive across it slower next time and have a good look around.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey JC...

Does this happen when there *was* a texture assigned to a face and then it got deleted (like in the TIFFRGB folder? (I'm thinking it was a skewed road tif that I shouldna got rid of.

I'm gonna end up redoing all the road textures anyway. I think I get it now.
awshit.jpg
awshit.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 7412 times

It's a real abortion yet, but it's getting better. I got lotsa stuff to fix, but it all got ingame.

I sent ya the zipped up race folder if ya wanna check it out. (I think ya said so awhile back.)

This is what it originally was for:
2.jpg
2.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, the brown section of road is probably just a missing tiff.

Thanks, I'll check out the track tonight when I get home. Looking forward to trying it! The screen with the cab over looks great.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

That's with the map in Maxy's truck mod. Funny when the network start points aren't there or right-every so often a bunch of trailers and a tractor suddenly drop outta the sky onya.
Truckawhat.jpg
Truckawhat.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha, that's pretty crazy. Is there anyplace in particular you want the start grid? I'll try to make you an opponent path.

Edit: And which direction is travel around track? Clock-wise or counter clock-wise?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya unless the map's position is a problem (for performance, like it sometimes is on my comp), the map is pretty much right where I want it. Lemme know if you experience any performance issues. (lagging, choppy gameplay or freezing up) that might require it to be moved.

I got the start position in the textfile already. -might need to be adjusted to line up with the road better.

-815.0,0.0,486.0 // Position of centre of start of grid
90 // Direction that grid faces in
unless you can think of a better one. 'S OK with me.

Clockwise as it is-but there's neat stuff in both directions.

The big, empty 'bowl' area in the middle where there's some roads and grass and an asphalt texture is where I wanna put a small, simple 'town' of some sort. (Maybe I'll simplify it some more, I dunno.)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I don't plan on moving anything. I don't think that would affect performance anyway.

Ok, I'll put some alternate paths through anything interesting looking. I'm at work so will look at tonight.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Aww fuck. Bad news. My so called 'improved' pathmaker sucks on big maps. You could try the manual way again using my pathmaker tool.

But I noticed a few things. The opponent path you have doesn't seem to line up with the roads at all. So you must've generated it on an earlier map and then did not match the same scaling or position??

I would write down what I did for scaling so it would always be the same everytime I imported and updated with a new version.

Also I see you're adding the Y (height) value.
Don't bother just enter 0.

-851.74,-1.17,363.0 // node2
just do
-851.74, 0 ,363.0 // node2

That way you can just look at the top view, that you should maximize to make it a little easier.

You only need to do Y axis on DRONE paths.

NOTE:
The way I got the MaxMap opponent path accurate was to do it the proper method. I Made a copy of the map SketchUp file. Grouped everything together and locked it. Then made a path by clicking down the center of the road creating lines without any polys. Just this dot-to-dot path with no fill. And then deletemap and export just the path. I remember struggling with this, but was finally able to use asc to path option in PT2 do generate the text file to grab the coords. I'm not even sure I could repeat the steps, it made my brain hurt so bad.

LikeI said, you could try the manual way again using my pathmaker tool. Sorry, but I've kinda hung up my spurs. I thought I could whip something together easy but it's just not accurate enough. Cars kept slamming into walls and shit. :supercrazy:

/////////////////////////////////
Edit: Sorry meant to say the map is pretty darn cool. Plenty big with nice straight-aways. You really got to be careful going around that construction zone where it goes down to one lane! Those barriers are hard! :lol:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

coffeycup wrote:You really got to be careful going around that construction zone where it goes down to one lane! Those barriers are hard! :lol:
Didya happen to notice the pothole? :grin:

OK. Thanks for the education. I'll keep plugging away.
Once I got the textures straightened out I'll try that path marking method.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok for the record YOU CAN have nodes miles apart. I made a drag strip 20 miles or more long with a rectangular AI path two nodes at each end so they'd turn around and drive back. Works fine.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah! Good to know. :) That'll make things much easier.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Yay for maps, But with all the stuff you were saying about roadtrains, im kinda surprised you dident download the remains of the new improved truck mod when I uploaded it...?

Anyway, I like how the map is coming along, it still has that just.. Deep blue look, and well.. I stil lwish I could make maps :p
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah, but I DID download them! I waited long tiemz for those.....I wasn't gonna let 'em go to waste....and then I developed a medical problem...and still haven’t even unzipped them yet.. I should really take some time and do that.. :wink:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The local Smalmart parking lot

[picture of the Mad Max: Fury Road rat rod you made]
Hey D_B, just wondering: have you released this car yet?
I'm still willing to put this in C1 :)

edit: thinking about it... can this car be seen in the recent Fury Road medias released? (trailer video, concept arts, stills)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Oh thanks Coffeycup! Silly me, should have had a look before asking :)

I wonder if it's the car we see in that shot:
http://cdn.chud.com/4/49/900x900px-LL-4 ... eet2a.jpeg
Sorry for being off-topic :crazy:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya! That'd be cool in C1.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Oh thanks Coffeycup! Silly me, should have had a look before asking :)

I wonder if it's the car we see in that shot:
http://cdn.chud.com/4/49/900x900px-LL-4 ... eet2a.jpeg
Sorry for being off-topic :crazy:
That sure looks like it. In the comments under the video I made it from, 'degreaserman' said that his relative (Snapper) had sold the car (Frank) to the Mad Max movie guys.

Check who’s online