Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

General modded vehicle handling

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Doritoskng
driver

General modded vehicle handling

Post by Doritoskng »

I've noticed through out my car additions to C2 that many people favor a more grippy setting for all 4 wheels stating that they don't mod for the P/T/O upgrades, but going through the game its nearly impossible to not pick up some of the aforementioned power-ups... i have no problem messing with the handling files to make the vehicles feel more real at higher P/T/O levels I'm just curious on peoples views as to why they set up their vehicles with such high grip.
Still alive some how
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: general moded vehicle handeling

Post by Deep_Blue »

I usually don't set up a severe grip. Nine times out of ten the CarEd-generated settings are OK, but there's the odd vehicle that needs a little more traction once in a while.

Sounds like some people like to be able to stay on a track on turns no matter how fast they're going at the expense of realism. After all, what car (even an exotic supercar with sticky tires and tuned suspension) is going to hug the road on a curve at four hundred miles per hour? (nevermind there isn't a car that can realistically reach that speed-and even if it could, the centrifugal force would yank it's mass off the turn anyway. That's why those 'land speed record' cars are always only going in a straight line. :wink: ) Changing directions just isn't an option at those speeds.

Super-sticky traction is no fun. Where's the burnouts? The drifting? The skidding?
This *IS* after all a game based on *wrecking* and other vehicular mayhem, no? What fun is it to not wreck? Embrace the understeer!

I made a couple *stoplight bouncer* vehicles once with ridiculously high traction values and bouncy suspension values (so one end or the other would bounce off the ground with alternating applications of throttle and brake-similar to hydraulic shocks), but they were next to undriveable in a race setting.

But, I digress.... It is SUCH a bother after twiddling with the text files to actually have to hit the 'recover' key after wiping out in a curve..... (Oh! My aching finger!)

:lol:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I know I shouldn't admit this, but I hardly ever tweak the handling.. I'll mess with the red line speed or maybe turning radius. I haven't even made a vehicle in a while.

I think people add down force to make the gravity feel a little more realistic. Personally I like the over the top handling of being able to hit a ramp and land on a rooftop or go over every bump like a scene from the movie 'Bullit'..
Amador
mechanic

Post by Amador »

I always edit the handling when I'm adding a car to the game, usually to make the car's handling similar to one of the original C2 car's handling. So a lot of the sportcars have the same "sliding" handling as the Eagle 3, offroad buggies have the same as Bugga, etc.
Image "I'll be back."
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

i usually fiddle with some of my favorite rides.
even without big power many of the cars come with high speed, which in the low gravity and thick air of the carma world results in jumps lasting forever, or sliding and spinning and sliding, or trying to take off and looping around, or every corner ending up a fishtailing mess till you scrub all the speed off.

some of my tinkering has been lowering top speeds so when i'm running around at 3/4 APO i'm not doing 3-400 mph
i also give tires more grip and increase brake strength.
i'll increase hardness and mass, and sometimes lower the center of gravity to improve cornering.
that is all stuff i have done to slayer's 67 tnc wagon.

maxine's 65 impala wagon i likes well enough i left it alone except for bringing the mass up a bit to make it hit harder in the higher levels.

others like the 97 crown vic cop car i raised hardness number to 4.0 from 0.3 to make it super soft for rapid bashing in the bruise brothers level.

i also play with powerups.
electro bastard ray lasts 10 minutes so i don't have to worry about that pesky clock.
mine shitting ability gives me 100 mines instead of 10, and they fire forward like slaughter mortars, but three times as fast/far.
bouncy bouncy and jelly suspension last 3 sec instead of 30. i hate those.

some people play games looking for realism or a challenge.
i play games to play.
if i wanted to work hard on something i'd go back to work and at least get paid to be challenged.
but maybe that's it. people who don't get challenged or mentally involved at their jobs need that involvement from their entertainment.
i just wanna drive fast and blow some crap up.
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!
Doritoskng
driver

Re: General modded vehicle handling

Post by Doritoskng »

@Hairball11
Personally i like the ability to slip and slide around ingame... a car that corners like its on a slot car track is just boring and quite frankly hard to control with just a keyboard... tho the slippery feeling has its own difficulties...

Just always bugs me when a "muscle" car in a corner hugs it and infact goes around it by kicking sideways into the corner against the usual flow of motion to the outside...

just my two cents on that part there... sorry if it doesnt make much sense as im tired and just started a new job in the welding industry.
Still alive some how
Amador
mechanic

Post by Amador »

Doritoskng wrote:@Hairball11
Personally i like the ability to slip and slide around ingame... a car that corners like its on a slot car track is just boring and quite frankly hard to control with just a keyboard... tho the slippery feeling has its own difficulties...
Same here, I too think the super-cornering is boring and doesn't fit well with the original cars. One of the reasons I really enjoyed Carma2 was that the cars had different handlings and you had to adapt your driving style when you bought a car. Driving the Eagle is a completely different experience than driving the Jetcar or the Semi, and that is how it should be.
Image "I'll be back."
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

I run most cars as the maker sets them, so long as it reflects just a little of the car.

The handling I like most tho is being able to pull high speed 180's, keep the wheels spinning to do a fat burnout to head back the other way, I also like to be able to handbrake it round corners whilst maintaining a good speed to recover with.

But in general I really like lots of variety.
The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

ok im gona say it, despite recent events.

I really disslike when cars have bad setups. thats why I try so hard to make mine right.. Unfortunatly. I fail a lot too. I come back to my cars later and find fatal flaws. such as how my 65 impala spins around when you go over big bumps (ive updated it and will upload at some point)
but some cars dont seem to have setups at all. Ive seen old cars that handle like modern cars with no suspension, really soft suspension with rebound etc.

Ok im ranting. Not everyone knows how to set up a car, and that is ok, But I sugest to everyone thiking of making a car... atleast Look at the car. Compare it to simler things to what you have driven, and work from that.

what I really disslike is those ultra grip cars you mentioned. I was going to rework a few of ADR's cars adding a driver, simple modle, handling setup, and slight higher res textures, But I dont know how to really get ahold of ADR for permision. if I rember corect he got some pretty strict things in readmes about moddign and releasing cars.

So yeah..
I mostly use cars as there set. apart from if there 100% wrong, like ive had cars with acceleration set to like 90 or somethin. ah well.
HANDLING. damnit.

Check who’s online