Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Doritos Projects (P51 Rod on hold)

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Doritoskng
driver

Re: Doritos Projects (P51 Rod on hold)

Post by Doritoskng »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand im now im soo frustrated with PT2 I so wish it was more user friendly
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Doritoskng wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaaaand im now im soo frustrated with PT2 I so wish it was more user friendly
What're ya trying to do?
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

just atempting to get the new and im prooved rus rod to the correct hierarchy... (its got a long parts list) and PT2 fails almsot as soon as i think i get it right... im partly tempted to merge large pieces of the model then reexport even tho i wanted a lot of them peices to fly off when hit.... on a side note do identical names matter to C2 if there slightly different parts of the same vehicle?
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yes use different names. Don't duplicate them.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

alright ill rename things correctly
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I still think you ought to just make a really simple car for your first attempt. A body, 4 wheels and one or two detachables to learn how to set a car up.

Then do another car with a windshield added and learn smashables.

I've seen this happen a bunch of times before. No one wants to take the time to learn how to do things and then get frustrated when they have problems. Then they just give up, or struggle for weeks with something that should be actually quite simple...once you understand how it all works!

(getting off my soapbox now)
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

yea i tend to be quite over zealous with things at first... i think i will simplify thigns a bit for the first vehicle ill add all the smashables and detachables later it was all going to be a long learning process first... pretty much get this car ingame then add everything slowly
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

There's nothing wrong in getting excited and wanting to do an amazing first release. But you oughta run some tests and learn the basics. The tests are just for you,you don't need to release them.

I've done dozens of these tests. A test to learn movable suspension. A test for a rocking engine. A test for a rotating radiator fan. All kinds of tests for complex grooves. Most of them are just a few simple shapes so that I'm not dealing with a big messy hierarchy when all I need to do is prove a concept.

You're talking about merging to clean your hierarchy but that's usually not necessary Things can be grouped simply by dragging one on top of the other so that you can collapse the hierarchy down to something more manageable.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

I was thinking of merging everything in to one cohesive model basicly taking this car and bunching it all together and just getting it to drive ingame (guess i could just do that with the bbox model actualy just use it as the bod first just to try things out)
Still alive some how
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

GAH!!!!! more issues picking this back up.... For some reason the test i started out on is just failing at PT2.... the object i wish to be master is on the bottom of the heirachy and it appears pt2 doesnt want me to move it.... alas i have no clue how to fix this issue ive tried renaming things once maybe alphabetical renaming might fix it but ill try that later for now heres what im attempting to get in game (nfs 3 convert because simple and few parts)
Still alive some how
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You should check the tutorials a bit more (even if it's not well sorted I admit). :ssmile:
If you really can't drag the intended master object below, select it in the list and hit insert on your keyboard. That'll open the insert component invite, choose to add an empty dummy component, name doesn't matter. You'll then be able to move it below the hierarchy.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

thanks for the tip at that point i hadnt tried everything yet i was just frustrated because late night and decided i should post something so people didnt think i was dead or something

EDIT: and heirachy is working now studying for car paperwork here soon we will have a 1997 car converted to a 1997 game.... that is if the scale is correct

EDIT2: well it appears my vehicle is 40000 times the size of the eagle 3ds refereance i downloaded soo it appears all is in vain

EDIT3: well after manipulating the text files for a while it seems im missing something, cause with new car as eagle my game crashes and it gives no reason... TO NO AVAIL.... so i need to figure out what i did incorrectly
Still alive some how
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

no breakthroughs yet seems im still quite a noob... it woudl so help my mental state if i could get this figured out but that will have to wait a week
Still alive some how
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Didn't notice you edited your previous post.
Maybe I should add an "updated" post icon to CWA much like Carma.com.

About your issues, seriously just hand us your WIP and we'll report the problems to you.
Much easier than you beating yourself in the midst of C2 modding voodoo.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Looking the hierarchy, the car is one object with only the mirrors as separate objects? I'm guessing too many polys for one object and needs to be broken into parts.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/laga8 ... i/SCIG.rar
heres my files so tell me what i did wrong i really wanna know
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I think you need to simplify your BBOX. A 41 sided polyhedron is crazy.
16 or less is better number, it's supposed to be a fairly simple shape.
You can have more than one polyhedron, better to have a few simple ones than a single complex shape.

Otherwise, it looks like you did everything else right from what I see in PT2.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The model should do a 180°. And the origin is currently between the rear wheels, should be at the center of the four wheels if you see what I mean. You must translate it on the Z axis.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

yea i can siplify teh bbox a bit not to hard to do, and thats a strange orientation for the model, concidering from where it started i moved it vertical... must have been a conversion error... also a simple fix and a 180 turn is no issue either

so my errors must be in the paperwork wich i figured it would be.... i gotta stop doing this stuff late at night
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Doritoskng wrote:so my errors must be in the paperwork wich i figured it would be.... i gotta stop doing this stuff late at night
I'm telling you the BBOX is too complex. That is why it crashes. You don't think I haven't done this a thousand times?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, Tosh. Update'n thingy is a good idea. I usually edit my posts, too. S'pecially if I happens to think of something I forgot to mention regarding the post. (instead of making a new post-I remember the old-skool CWA gods throwing spiked, flaming gobs of non-fuzziness at people who posted too muchly when they coulda just edited.)

*EDIT: Like I was saying....I had to edit this post twice already because ma fingers were flying faster than my brain was...*

:grin:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Doritos: No, most of your errors are within the model setup. The 180° turn can imply annoying stuff like having to set wheels actors again etc. I'm not sure you're familiar with Force Identity Matrix and the likes?

So. More feedback from me. Besides what Coffeycup and I said:
- Size was much too small? Unless it was supposed to be an RC model. Don't forget to compare the size to another model within PT2 before doing anything else.
- This implies the angular momentum proportions were too low too.
- You must rename your texture, using 'body' is not a good idea as the game might mix it up with another car. Use 'scigbody' for example. Try to come up with unique names.
- Also the mat ID was still set to '1 - Default', don't forget to rename it or you won't be able to link to it from the text files.
- In the WAM file, if you have a component set as 'normal, boring, 0', you can remove it as it is the default. This applies to the master object as well.
- In the TXT file, you had removed the name of the reflective material. I suppose this was the first reason of crash. Just write NONE in there.
- Still in the TXT file, both front and rear wheels had positive Z values (front should be negative).

That's all :) Got it ingame fairly quick. Attached the result for you to compare.
Attachments
SCIG.zip
(95.93 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

Thank you Tosh I will look at what you have fixed there and try my hand at it again, The reason it was to small if it was is i had compared the model to the C2 eagle 3ds floating around and re-sized it to that or at-least attempted to but obviously miscalculated. And no I am not particularly familiar with Force Identity Matrix, Although I imagine I've messed with it before while modding other games I just didnt recognize it or it was implemented in a simpler way.

@Coffee: Well the BBox being to complex would be part of the paperwork, and thank you for your incites I in no way implied you did not know what you were talking about I apologize for any misinterpretations.

It seems I have to much information flying around my head, with school and all time to figure a way to compartmentalize, as of the time of writing this post im supposed to be doing metrology class work so until this weekend (friday evening or so) in need to do class work.
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, no problem. The scale and the orientation wouldn't cause a crash. You'd just have a tiny car that drove backwards.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

after reviewing the files (mine vs toshes) it appears that my bigest mistakes were indeed bbox, a few unneeded entries in the wam file and size/orientation of vehicle... well seems for a first i was so close yet so far away... next up trying again with a different model using this one as an example, and reading more tutorials instead of bellyaching
Still alive some how
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

We have all been there, scratching heads and blowing our minds over why the game doesn't show us the result of our hard work... Good to hear the community can help in these cases!
Keep up the work, as most of us did, and soon you'll know all the possible problems yourself :wink:
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

sooo im homeless at the moment but still want to try and work on my 3d things and on that note what is the absolute difference between 0 black (invisible) and 240 black in c1 because trying to modify c1 textures with photoshop cs3 and it fuckes up the blacks constantly
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Pure black 0,0,0 is transparent in C1. The other 'black' is a dark gray.

I'm at work now, but do a search on C1 palette or check Tosh's list of C1 tutorials. I think Tosh had a .pal file you can import to get correct C1 colors
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

thanks coffee ill do that as soon as i can
Still alive some how
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

well now that im no longer homeless ive got tons of work to do lol i havent done anything more than play c1 and c2 for ages... most days i dont get to be on the computer any more than to check the time my how my life has changed in the last 6 or so months
Still alive some how
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

that's sad caues your rod is what i was waiting for
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

luckly i still have it it hasnt gone any where and hasnt even had anything done to it since the last real update but maybe i can get something done on it these next upcoming weeks

sorry for the long wait hazardic
Still alive some how
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

So I decided to put down the GTA san-andreas cars and tidbits to start something totally from scratch without drawn blueprints... this is all from an actual hotwheels car so its probably not in proportion to the real thing but it looks alright to me so far... this is going to be one thread with the top three projects going on mostly this hotwheels car for now and possibly the p51 rod as i progress on that little by little with the help of harmalarms tools for 3ds max.

click thumb for larger image

I haven't done this in some time so my skills are rusty and my poly placement is probably quite shit but hey im working on something again

this is where p51 rod lies in a state of limbo
all modeling and texturing done just have to figure out porting and paperwork which will be done after i read more on the max script tools... (like today or something)

[Edit:]

Fiddley bits!
Still alive some how
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Those look great. Hopefully you'll finish one of them.
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

I plan on finishing these, I know I'm terrible at that..... for now i must read harms tutorials about the maxtools he made.
Still alive some how

Check who’s online