Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Just a pickup truck

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
AdR
pimp

Just a pickup truck

Post by AdR »

Well, that... a '64 Chevy C-10 in it's stock shape at 810 triangles with wheels

[nmg]img199.imageshack.us/img199/6032/64pickup.jpg[/nmg]

Missing mirrors and exhausts but it's pretty much done. Will make a more "carma" version after I'm done with this one.

Oh, the madbenz is coming, just need to finish some details :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Just a pickup truck

Post by Harmalarm »

Man you sure have mad skills! That is looking awesome. :swheel:

Can you share some of your workflow perhaps? Do you use blueprints or photo's as reference. And do you pre-render an ambient map or is all of this directly painted into the texture from scratch?

I love that model! Keep it coming sir! :)
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Just a pickup truck

Post by TTR »

Oh shi-- that looks a LOT more C1 there now i see it rendered with textures, nice one! Going to Carma-fy it?
AdR
pimp

Just a pickup truck

Post by AdR »

Thanks! This thing deserves to be carma-fied! hehe most likely a rust or rat texture set will do.
I just did the stock version as a... collector's item? :)

My workflow? I'll try to be brief, though if there's anything else you'd like to know just ask:

I usually grab a side pic of the vehicle (or from a blueprint) and use that as reference, once I get the basic shape I set up a camera to match a 3/4 view on the background, to adjust any proportions issues there might be on the model, and work the rest of the details.

Texture-wise, Unwrap the entire model first, to have all the pieces in the same scale, then I assign different ID's for each map I'm going to use (usually 10 or 12 will do), render the UV wireframes, and use that as a template to paint the textures manually in PS.

I've tried using an AO map but it doesn't makes much sense given the palette limitations C1 has, it's faster to just make gradients faking shadows and reflections in PS.

Oh, and I don't like the reflective windows effect in C1 (except in certain cars), so I'd rather use a gradient for windows, but that's a personal taste.
AdR
pimp

Just a pickup truck

Post by AdR »

Rat Rod!

[nmg]img687.imageshack.us/img687/636/64pickup2.jpg[/nmg]
hazardic
motorised death

Just a pickup truck

Post by hazardic »

emmm.. this is a typical rat rod, because rat rods are all custom, built to the owners taste with zero chrome

[nmg]image.hotrod.com/f/15074783/hrdp_0903_04_z+2008_hunnert_car_pileup+rat_rod.jpg[/nmg]

but anyway nice polycount - looks very neat
AdR
pimp

Just a pickup truck

Post by AdR »

Call it what you'd like, here's where I've got the inspiration from:

http://www.streetrods-online.com/RAT%20 ... t_rods.htm
hazardic
motorised death

Just a pickup truck

Post by hazardic »

yeah i see. did you mean skin inspiration? cause the body itself is serially manufactured chevy. ratrods could have various forms and bodies but the main point is to look like jalopy but with custom body work - it includes handmade parts, rust, custom design or custom engine or engine bay. rat rod usually opposed to hot rods with their shiny parts and clean look. it's not my invention, just fyi
AdR
pimp

Just a pickup truck

Post by AdR »

Sure, I'm aware of it... might make one of those in the future, would be a cool addition :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Just a pickup truck

Post by Harmalarm »

SWEET! I like both versions very much. Always a fan of the aqua-green base color, specially on the oldies.

Perhaps you should try adding some Carma weapons, instead of only making the texture rusty and carma-ish. Perhaps it could use a couple of spikes here and there, chainsaws, blades, scoops...
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Just a pickup truck

Post by TTR »

Wow i really like that :) Looks like some old rusted racetruck that's forgotten all those years heh.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Just a pickup truck

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Seems like great add-ons coming the C1 way :) I like that.
Nothing wrong with not using envmap for windows. Some original C1 cars didn't use it either.

Personaly here I would use the car as the "carma weapon". I would deform the whole model (through FFD or something) to give it an aggressive look and probably make that bulge above the headlights come out much more. Slightly exagerating proportions.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online