Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

Post by Deep_Blue »

'K Thanks for the update and the updated map, dude. :rockon:

Glad ya gotcher rig runnin' again. Yeah that FBI sonsabitch is a real bastid I hear. It's been going around this area of Alabama lately. Our PC guru says it's either an email attachment or a drive-by shooting when ya hit an infected page. I tend to believe drive-by as most of us are smart enough not to open weird emails.

(I meant "us" here on CWA, not the folks here in this part of Alabama. Most of the folks where I live are so dumb they need to be watered twice a week-hence the outbreak of FBI-infected machines). :lol:

Could the trojans have affected your gameplay? Slowing down draw rates/data handling? I've had that happen before and hadda clean the shit outta my comp to fix it.

Mebbe there was nothing wrong with the map and your PC was just on crack temporarily.

You know what? I can live with odd alignments here and there. I understand. mebbe the pox-eclipse frigged up the roads 'r sumpin'. There's so much to see on this map and do that I don't think a texture glitch here and there will matter too much. You've worked wonders with the POS I handed ya.

I salute ya, man!

Maybe if the texies don't align right ya could texture that section of road as dirt/gravel and put up some knock-overable barricades on either side of the screwed up alignment part. People expect gravel areas to be weird and if they don't line up so good-so what?
:grin:

Gonna swap out the old version for the new one and double-copy it to a safe place just in case anything bad happens again..

Thanks, man!
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I didn't open an email, I hit an infected page. I gotta be smarter where I surf. :oops:
Ya, I have no idea what was going on with the textures. I mean I exported it twice thinking I messed up. I guess third time's the charm.

I'm not gonna sweat the alignment for now. I want to fill everything in and then can go back and tweak shit.

EDIT
I just you a patch to add a map. I got tired of being lost amd not knowing what direction I was driving.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Sounds like a plan.

OK, I just ran all over the southern half of the map and I'm about to make a noise that an old man doesn't normally make.....

O EM EFF GEE

This thing is AWESOME! And I only drove on half of it.
Drove west from start on Silverton Rd.
Nice placement of trees and such. Found the ramps-they seriously get ya some air.

Found the wrecked 747 (which also doubles as a ramp...)

Drove back east on the southern loop-found on seam in the pavement that acted like a low curb (knocked me for a loop), and rounded out going down Menindee Rd. to the black 'hurricane fence'. Drove of the edge of Menindee Rd. for the helluvit.
Whaddya wanna put there in the road at the opening in the fence? Barricade? Signage? Nothing?

I like whatcha did with the southeast quadrant what with the hills hiding the view of the city and all the trees. Looks really good. Same with the eastern half of Silverton Rd. Top-notch, man. :grin: I've never been to Australia-but I started to feel like I was driving around NSW. You've done it justice as many parts of it resemble the Google Earth street views.

Couldn't find the mine. Musta been looking in the wrong place.

I did not noticeANY weird behavior with ANY alpha-channeled texture ANYWHERE.

Your comp musta been having a strange day. the only textures I saw doing anything weird was an intersection texture at silverton Rd. and the road by the city. (Like it was mapped sideways).

All the trees work goodly. Same with the fences. I drove around 'em and even into 'em and nothing changed. All 2- sided. I'd go with the hangar if I was you. Whatever issue you were having-I'm not. Everything works perfectly.

HO LEE FOOK this thing is Big McLargeHuge. :grin: :rockon:

***EDIT** Map is good. I only got lost for a minute once around the 747. It all looks the same out there! (Tis OK, it's supposed to!) Ya, you NEED a map for this map! :lol:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

:grin: OldFence.tif should fix 'black hurricane fence' (delete your PIX16 folder)

Intersection at end of Silverton Rd by city fort, ya. Wasn't sure what to do there. 3 roads intersect and each is a different width. I'll try to find something that works better.

It wouldn't be a 'lost mine' if it was easy to find :tongue:

Yah, I'm thinking of opening that hangar back up....except that'll probably jinx it. heh.

I figure it will take about 40 minutes at least to do an entire loop at 200 mph. (took me about 10 min to run the south quadrant.) :supercrazy:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Heh. *Yosemite Sam mode* "Goldurned mappersnappers losin' lost mines in th' confounded mountains....Whoda thunkit?...Sassafrassafrassenfrasses..." :grin:

One favor to ask: Can ya plant a lone gum tree (gnarly, goodly sized) on the western bank of the narrowest point of the 'Y" in the creekbed at Stephen's Creek Crossing? (North side of Silverton Rd from where it leaves the city.) The static gyro goes just a few feet south of that tree IN the creekbed just north of the road. That tree has significance.

'Preciate it if ya could.

Should I make some grouped arrow type road signs for intersections (You already have Anarchie and Bedlam Rd. signs....They just gotta be in there somewhere.

Or is labeling roads on the map of the map sufficient?

Can't wait to see the n northern half. :shock:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Stephen's Creek. Ya, I'll put a gnarly tree or two. I'll pop the DVD in for reference. But I won't get to it for a bit.
I think we have enough road signs. Let's see how it goes with what we've got. Like you said, we can label map, though I don't know whether people care what the name of the road is. Dunno.
I used the tape measure in SketchUp to figure out just how big this map is. It's roughly 19.5 miles X 12.5 miles. - 244 sq freakin' miles. :shock:
That's 1/5 the size of the state of Rhode Island.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, yer right. There's already enough stuff in there. Most won't care what road they're on-just what part of the map.

That's freakin' huge!
Big enough to get lost on......HEheh!
I LIKE it!

Edit* Found the mine. 'Twas in the mountains...go figure.. :grin:

So here I notice something to put on yer tweak list.

Where the red marks are-there's like a...seam or a raised edge in the road in like two or three places. You can see it coming usually, but it wrecks the crap outta ya when ya hit it.
raised hard stuff in the road
raised hard stuff in the road
seams.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
Ah, well you drove it, you must be aware of it.

Diggin' it so far! :grin:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hmm I'll add those to my list. I did drive that loop but I don't remember them blockages. Maybe I was going opposite direction. Those glitches tend to be one-sided.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I made some good progress filling in the NW corner last night but had to run out on an errand. When I got back I put what I had ingame and ended up staying up until 1:30 cruising around with Deep Purple's 'Highway Star' blasting on my speakers. (Seemed fitting)

I can't remember if what I sent you Sunday had the rest of Silverton Rd west of town filled in? It is now and Mundi Mundi lookout too. What a difference when there's actual road textures to drive on.

Anyway I'm really going to try to fill in the rest of the north part tonight and hopefully add even more trees. Probably a different type to change it up from the desert scrub. I hope more transparent textures don't freak everything out again because the hangar and fences are two-sided once again.

Oh and optimizing and pre-processing the track fixed a bunch (not all) of the road glitches and made map look even better(!). No odd dark sections of road and building have nice crisp edges. From time to time I just stopped the car in the middle of the road so I could stop and look at the scenery. You're right, some areas almost match Google Earth views perfectly. Scary!

I'll try to send you an update tonight if all goes well.

:sbsmile: NOTE to viewers of this thread: :sbsmile:
Some of you might be saying to yourselves, why aren't Coffey and D_B doing all this chatter thru PMs or email? Well, I figure there's really not a lot going on here else-wise, except maybe Pip's new car. This thread is sorta the antithesis of the lack of info on C:R. This is probably a case of 'Too Much Information' but what the hell, it's a 'behind-the-scenes' look at map making. And what a map this will be!
:banana:
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Some of you might be saying to yourselves, why aren't Coffey and D_B doing all this chatter thru PMs or email?
What? Don't say that. This thread is glorious.

Bring on more pics and why not a video too? :beer:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Sho 'nuf... Yeah, I wanna see whatcha did. :grin:

And it's not really like we're interrupting anybody or anything... :tongue: The road glitches worked in both directions...You'll see a black line across the road surface when you're approaching them. If you're in a low slung vehicle-The next thin you see is *sky/ground/sky/ground/sky* :lol: Didja ever get that static Eagle off'n the middle pinnacle? I see ya parked the one in Silverton off the road by the Muni building.
redbat.jpg
redbat.jpg (41.66 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
maxedout1.jpg
maxedout1.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
MadMaxRW.jpg
MadMaxRW.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Those SW glitches will be gone next update to you.

I think there's just the one Eagle left in Silverton. I'm leaving it until everything is built because I use it for reference/sizing.

At Mastro: I would do a vid if I could get Fraps working again. It stopped a few months back and I never got it to work with C2 again. Works with other games. But not C2????
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

I really enjoy watching the progress of an idea to virtual reality, gives me hope and drive to complete something when im not busy with machinist classes... After this is finished I will get that blasted hot rod of mine done to roam about this map and maybe set the one aircraft aflight again.
Still alive some how
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

The latest version of FRAPS records C2 just fine-but it's a trial version that turns into a pumpkin shortly.

The version I have is the one below that and it doesn't work in C2 either. OK, Coffey. I'll be standing by.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Silverton:
Raiding the Silverton Hotel
Raiding the Silverton Hotel
hotelbike.jpg (57.65 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
The Interceptor waits...
MM1 Interceptor
MM1 Interceptor
Interceptor.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
Dueling in the desert between Silverton and Broken Hill....
Leviathan and Rust Raider
Leviathan and Rust Raider
Leviathan.jpg (31.3 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Waiting for Captain Walker....
Wookah.jpg
Wookah.jpg (47.74 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

@Coffey Try something different like ZD Soft Game Recorder

C2 Question: Is there a limit to how many textures you can have on one map?
Last edited by Mastro 666 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha! the Ruin Nation stuff looks great in the level! :lol:

Mastro: How many textures? I don't know. There's 123 so far. :grin:
Ok, I will try that other app. Sux tho because I paid for Fraps.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I hope ya got mega resources.... I just ran the trial on ma netbook and while it ran-it ran like crap. It also used my microphone for source audio and all it really recorded was me swearing at it.. :tongue:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Deep_Blue wrote:I hope ya got mega resources....
What'd ya think? It's what, a hundred times bigger than any original C2 map? :lol:

I think all the heavy lifting is done. The main roads are connected, you can drive a complete loop.
It's hard to even wrap your head around how big this map is. I can't, and I'm working on it. I was just driving and laughing, thinking this is totally ridiculous. You just drive and drive and drive. And drive some more. :swheel:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Oh HAHA!

I wasn't talking about the map-My lil' netbook handles the map just fine. Loads fairly quick and everything runs perfectly so far.
I was talking about the Game Recorder proggy. S-l-o-w as shit.

I know! Tis gargantuan. I LOVE IT. Hey Coffey! Give us a screenie from up high in Sketchup, or something to suggest the size of this thing.

I guess Maxy's gonna get that 'world' she was talkin' about, eh?

Hey, send me an update when ya get a chance? I wanna see how the northern half came out. :grin:
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

coffeycup wrote:You just drive and drive and drive. And drive some more. :swheel:
Sounds good to me. Does look good with Ruin Nation assets :ssmile:
mastro wrote:C2 Question: Is there a limit to how many textures you can have on one map?
In the likes of 950 I think.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

D_B I sent u a zip last night. Didn't you get it?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah....I dunno...lemme check. I cashed in ma chips early last night.

OK, Got it. I gotta go back to work in a bit so I'll run it later this evening. I can't wait to check this thing out. :grin:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Like I said in the email. Make sure you have clean pair of underwear handy. You're gonna shit yer pants. :grin:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Just cruisin' thru the wastes...mindin' ma own busin--Whoa! Peds on the creek banks!

LOL!

Holy Smokes! After a trip across the northern loop, I started looking for a place to get some fuel and food! :lol: I'm gonna hafta stock up on Dinky-Di dog food... Nice "whole lotta nothing" effect on the east road back to Broken Hill and points south. Good transition from desert scrub to sparse woodland and back. Looks very convincing. Never a dull moment on this map. ALL the terrain is drivable. I like that.

I got a kick outta the floating bush. Aside from a lil' more roadwork in the middle, I'd call that terrain done.. Holy shit...That place is frackin' huuuuuuge. The map is so big I can't post a piccy of the whole thing-My YON is cranked up to 1000 and I still can see only a small section of it-but at ground level it's high enough to be able to anticipate curves and obstacles at speed at some distance. (I tried to set it so I could see the same distance that I would be able to see with my own eyes and 1000 works well enough.) At this setting I can just make out the pinnacles as small specks on the horizon after I've been driving west from the airport for a minute or two on the Barrier Highway.

Nice. THIS is a driver's map. NOW ya feel like yer travelin' somewhere instead of driving in tight little circles.. I found myself drifting on the curves with the throttle planted. :wink: Awesome work, JC! Thanks for the two-lanes up north through the mountains. Those seriously rock.

That was what I liked about your Big Outback Track-You could just let the car unwind and drive like ya were going somewhere.

People...Yer gonna love it.
If ya get into a fight with an opponent on this map-when yer done ya actually gotta go find the ones that kept going-because you ARE going somewhere. This map covers two whole towns and a whole lotta land in between and around the edges. Ya gotta travel to track 'em down. Meanwhile there'll be Mad Max/Ruin-Nation-like stuff here and there to gawk at/interact with while (hopefully) more stuff flies overhead. In other words-Welcome to Post pox-eclipse New South Wales, Australia (more or less) in the middle of a Mad Max movie set...
Bag some 'roos, clobber the mohawkers and tear the damn place up!

Oh yeah...Don't leave the bastards any guzzaline on the way out....

:rockon:

This is gonna be a must-have fo' sho'.
Way up yonder
Way up yonder
Northern Territory.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
Looks WAY better with road textures
Looks WAY better with road textures
MundiMundi.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
Big honkin' map.
Big honkin' map.
Maxed out map.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I figured I'd surprise you with the peds. :lol: We'll need one or two new textures for ped spawn points (they can be copies of something we're using). They'd be spread too thin if we assign them to the main terrain textures. That's why I chose the 'gravel' texture along the banks. It's the least used of the ground textures. :investigate:

I sent you new road textures. The colors blend alot better and I added a crackeled texture.

Driving using the bumper view is hypnotizing when you hit a nice long stretch, like the one down from the Mundi Mundi lookout, with the white stripes whipping by under your nose.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Finishing off the last of the side roads and stomping out those last few glitches is what I will focus on. Yeah, the NE is pretty sparse. I'll probably add some more vegetation. I didn't want to add too many until I was sure it wouldn't just crap out. But so far so good, so I'll add some more. Oh and a few shacks here and there just to it's not so empty out there.

I want to get the base model finished so I can lock it down, get the final model into PT2 and start adding all the noncar signs, junk and smashables and the exploding refinery.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Sounds like a plan. Yeah, the shacks sound good. There really needs to be something up there.

*Reminding ya to stick a lone, sizeable gum tree in the west creekbank at the crossing where the static gyro goes.* :wink:

Thanky for the new road stuff. Those look more worn and indigenous to the area. :smile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, this weekend I finished texturing the rest of the roads. I am really close to calling the SketchUp model done. I added more trees and places where peds spawn. There's just 3 or 4 places where there's odd glitches. As if there were 2 polys on top of each other. I need to hunt them down or rebuild certain sections. :twisted: Luckily they're in flat places so redoing wouldn't be too bad I if I have to.

Once that's done then the next part of the work is done in PT2, adding noncar signage and props. Smashables and exploding refinery. :grin:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Most excellent!

Can't wait to see it. :supercrazy:

Work dat magick, mon!

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Sent ya the lookout plan w/ call outs.
via email.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Sent you a zip late last night.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ayuh. OK. That's good!
I coulda sworn that tree has some leaves on it-but you've seen it more recently than I have.
Thanks for the update. I'll PM ya regarding a critter ya mentioned yesterday. Got an idea and just wanna fly it by ya.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Heya....Coffey...

Did...you do this on purpose? I mean...If so, it kinda works...

When driving through the desert along the road between the green section of Silverton Rd. headed west toward the ramp, I happened to spinout and hit one of those smaller 'bushes' and....It "SPLOOSH!-ed" :shock:
Dafuq?
Dafuq?
Sploosh!.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
HAHA! Don't get me wrong-I like it! Leave it there!

Turns out ALL the smaller bushes in that area up to about Silverton do that.

:lol:

Check who’s online