Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

Post by Deep_Blue »

I trust yer judgement, Coffey. You're the artiste. If you think you can do the terrain better with your textures-go for it. As long as the terrain looks as close as possible to the real thing.
I used the Google Earth textures because they were all I had and I wanted to "be there."

I DID NOT want the ground to look ANYTHING like C2's "Sand Doomed" map. (repetitive suckiness). I can deal with a sucky portion, but not repetitive suckiness...because...well...it just...sucks... I don't want it to look too much like a cartoony thing and it wouldn't do your skinning work on the buildings/noncar stuff/trees any justice if it did..

So far I don't see anything weird except the sharp difference between the terrain texture and the airport (gravel?). But then there'd be a stark contrast between desert earth and laid/ gravel anyways. At least the color's right so it looks like native gravel. It's believeable.

I'll let ya be the judge, JC. I liked the Google textures, but bear in mind, I really can't get down to ground-level to see 'em from a player's perspective in CarEd.
Like ya said in the beginning-what looks good at 10,000 feet might look shite at ground level. I see the pixellation in my CarEd pics..

They DO kinda get schmeary/blocky up close... If ya can make it look sharper/more realistic with tiled textures-have at it. I just don't want the exact same kinda terrain all over the map-y'know....Sand/scrub brush/rocky areas/etc. Like ya said before-break it up some.
If ya can make it look like the desert in NSW with different textures, have at it.

I'm using PSP 7 (T'was a freebie) to make the jpegs. I'll take a look and see if I can change the compression/quality settings.

Anything else I can make/do, don't hesitate to lemme know.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

For now I'm leaving the textures alone. I did do a quick comparison between current texture size and reducing the size of terrain texture by 1/20.
Left side current, right side reduced. Up close reduced looks better...
Backing away...
But far away reduced looks crappy...
So there would be a LOT of rework to try and get rid of the tiling repeats. I don't know if I have enough time/patience for that. :)
I'm already spending a bunch of time building out the additional roads etc.

On another note..after seeing your Kangaroo signage I couldn't resist...

I found a pretty good untextured model in 3D warehouse. So I skinned him and broken into parts for ped setup.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, I see yer point.

But consider this....It's a driving game, not a flight sim. I mean...we'll never be at 1,000 ft unless we get pinballed up that high and even the stock C2 maps looked weird at that altitude what with being able to see the holes behind/between the mountains and th edge of the map, etc.

'Sides, most of us would recover and get back to ground level to continue playing.

I'd reduce 'em and leave 'em that way. Don't even worry about how it looks at high altitude. I'm convinced. The right side looks better at ground level/low altitude.
Who cares what it looks like up high?

'Tis up to you, JC, but I like the tiled terrain better. :grin: I c'n hardly wait to wreck up some 'roos. :rockon:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha, ok. Resizing the textures is a really simple change. I'll bring them down once I'm ready to export.
But I will leave alone for now because I am still building it out and I am zooming way out and looking at it from high altitude.
We'll get it all sorted out in the end. :grin:

If the hopping alien animation works, the 'roo is going to a great additional animal ped.
I don't think 'roos make much noise, so I might reuse the penguin 'eep' sound?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya. I never met a roo. Dunno if they make noise.....I mean....Everything makes noise-I just dunno what a roo noise is.

"-eep" works for me. They won't be 'eeping long, anyway. :grin:

Edit* A-HA!

According to teh interwebz, roos make noises kinda like the jackalopes in Redneck Rampage Rides Again. I shall compile you a wave file and ye can convert it to whatever thou shall need.

Edit* Jackalope cluckity-boingity .wav file's in yer mailbox. It's a couple seconds-ya can chop out what ya need of it. I klonked it down to 8-bit mono 8KHz PCM to filter out the gad-frappin' crickets in the background...

/me HATES that confounded "-eep"ing noise...
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Animation is a little weird but it'll suffice.

I'll see what I can do with the WAV you sent
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

LOL! Far out!

That's a mighty big boingaroo.

I figured ya might be able to use maybe a chunk of that wav. I remember turning off the penguins because the -eep'ing drove me bonkers.

Like Freddie Prinze (Chico) useta say...."Looooooking goooooooooood!"
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Fortress City

I had a 'rooftop' texture over the entire area but it just looked like a huge empty parking lot. So I made a rooftop facade texture from a screenshot of a slum
from Google maps. I know the real Broken Hills isn't this congested but this is sometime in the future, after everything has gone pretty much to shit.
:banana: :poo: :banana:

Ya, jackalope wav was useable. I clipped it down to a short 'ki-ki-ki-ki'. It's sorta like a squirrel sound but slower?

Minimum you need two wavs. One for when I sees you. And another for when you hit it.
So I made another sounds sorta like 'thud -ki!' if that makes any sense.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Good on the boingaroo sounds.

Nice overhead idea. Something I never considered was ending up inside the walled city by some unforseen circumstances.

I guess if there's no pinball mode or kangaroo mode powerups-that really won't be an issue.

Ya'd hafta cheat to get in there then, right? In which case ya deserve what ya get?

:grin:

Nice work, man!

I ended one of those little side roads AT the west wall. Did you leave it at that or reroute it?
(I figured it would work for a 'Wile E.Coyote' kinda trap-or at the very least be believeable if the city walls had been hastily planned. Either way I figured it could prove interesting.)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

This road?

When I do replays I like to zoom out or just move camera around to explore, so I never liked when maps had big gaping holes. It was just as easy to put a rooftop layer and then add some rectangles for a couple of taller buildings. That gives it a little bit of a skyline when you look thru the gates.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup. That dirt road. Just like I wanted to make it-I like the extra lil' gateway for it. That works.
I dig whatcha did with the city. Looks awesome for an 'accessory.'
:rockon:

OK, I see ya got the textures tiled. Are there more barren/sandy/rocky areas without so much scrub growth as well? (Sparse vegetation/really arid areas.) You'll need a place to wreck a 747 ya know. ;)

On Google Earth-those areas were mainly in the southwest quadrant from just below the lil' foothills to almost the Pinnacles and some in the northwest quadrant just east of the mountains. The only pic of that area (where the lake is-northwest quadrant) I've got is from way up high and possibly done with my original textures. Just curious. Pretty much the only vegetation in those areas was scrub right along the roads and the every-so-often gnarly little tree.

It oughtta be interesting to see what the map areas you're inventing will look like when ya get to those. I liked the description earlier.

On another note:
JP tells me on Faceybook that he has dug out his old C2 and rounded up every Ruin-Nation/post apoc vehicle he ever worked on in anticipation of this map.

:lol:

I have a suggestion for the airport....Instead of making it look like a serviceable airport-howzabout I make a couple more noncars resembling semi-stripped light piston-engined aircraft ( engine parts/supplies gotta come from somewhere after TSHTF.) You know..planes with engines taken out/wings/fuselages stripped for sheetmetal, airframes hanging out etc. in various stages of having been cannibalized? I can prolly swipe aircraft models from the airport map and work those in as wrecks. I seem to remember a helicopter in there somewhere as well...
Wotta ya think? Doable, or too much. I guess an abandoned airport by itself would work, too.
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I was gonna make the south, southwest and northeast corner where I link up the roads flat and desert-like. We can swap out textures in other areas if you want it sparser.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nah. That works. I was just wondering. I wanna wait til ya get the rest of the terrain/roads together and see what it looks like.

I edited my post above a couple times because I thought of some more stuff I could possibly do regarding the airport.

I just asked about the barren areas because I've mostly seen the scrub areas. Those look great.
Very happy with those...

I'm just gonna sit on ma fingers for awhile til ya get it built out.

Lovin' it so far.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well, I've got the roads interconnected, but they're just untextured strips of road floating in mid air yet. I did notice the are different widths. The one running southwest from Broken Hills is almost twice as wide as Silverton Rd. I will make the wider one through the desert a 4 lane highway. Silverton a 2 lane.

Re noncars. Like I said somewhere earlier there's already a bunch of existing airport noncars that could be reskinned to look old rusted and beat up. Airport level has 747, Lear jet and a Seahawk type chopper. There's also baggage trolleys. Errol had all the noncars as templates
http://www.toxic-ragers.co.uk/files/car ... s/noncars/

If you add an alpha channel you have rusted out holes. I will be able to make the material 2 sided in PT2. But be careful, a lot of time the textures are stretched, so you'll probably have to experiment until you get something you like.

Quick test - I would be able to make our rust 2-sided so it would look better than this. Image
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK, nevermind the airport idea. I see ya got it covered.

I was trying to make all the roads 2-lanes (except for the dirt roads). Like I said before, I had to guesstimate scales most of the time because CarEd doesn't have measuring tools. I understand if it's too much of a hop in the nuts to even them up, though. Your idea works.

Yup. Floating roads. LOL! I can't tell ya how long I had roads floating in space before I finally got terrain around them.

I would still go with either a no longer functioning-looking airport or a barely functioning one as it makes sense that total anarchy/societal collapse would not permit normal operations. That idea would also make for less work as setting up all the airport-related support stuff and associated airport personnel peds would not be necessary.

I had a vision of Jebediah using the abandoned, mostly stripped airport only when the gangs weren't around to scrounge stuff he needed to keep his gyro going. Stuff like that...
abandoned-airport-2.jpg
abandoned-airport-2.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
atarot-1.jpg
atarot-1.jpg (90.37 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, there'll be a lot of clutter added later. I do want to revisit some of the building textures to make them grungier. I grabbed some GTA ones for the terminal, but they're too clean. I have one of the hangars with an open door. I was thinking Jebediah's airplane could land and taxi into it before it turned around and took off again.

I think I might go back and grunge up the Silverton textures too. Boarded up windows etc.

Doing roads by eye in CarEd doesn't really give consistent widths. :tongue: Honestly, it's making the texturing go a lot slower.

This is the Eagle on the Barrier(?) Highway
Under same bridge
Same Eagle on Silverton Rd.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Cant wait, This is going to be a hell of a place to drive, Thats what usually buged me in the past, the maps are too small, I want a world.

How long does this take to load at the moment tho?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Again....I apologize for the roads.... I really tried to get 'em the same widths and keep 'em that way, but ya gotta good point regarding CarEd. No scaling tools.

Yes. Definitely grunge the place up. This is entropy we're talking about here. Can't be havin' a shiny wasteland. :lol:

Wow. Just.....wow. I had a vision, but really had no idea what the map'd look like done up. That is friggin' awesome, man!

The components with the names "barrhwy" or "BarHwy" are the barrier highway. Doesn't really matter so much as it's not entirely accurate anyways.

If ya would, put the 'fatalities' sign on the four-lane near Broken Hill facing east. I had it on the next east_west road up or so but it would prolly be better on the four-lane.

The dark brown 'Umberumberka Reservoir/Mundi/Mundi scenic lookout' sign goes IN Silverton facing east about where the museum is.

I'm figuring the homemade 'Mundi Mundi' lookout sign goes west of the lookout on the downgrade somewheres facing west. 'Least that's what it looked like from the movie screen caps.

The rest of 'em can go wherever ya see fit. (I remember making a "Broken Hill Nuclear Free Zone" sign....found it on the net. Well, it's obvious where that goes...

I'm with Maxy on the 'world' thing. I hate those small, cramped maps, too. I like to drive/chase/maneuver at high speeds. That's why I like your "Big Track Outback" map so much.
I like having to play catch-up to the pack after wasting an opponent or being able to shake an opponent by weaving through the pack.

Question.... I know about the 'opponent nastiness level' setting in the race.txt, but it doesn't seem to have any effect that I've noticed. My difficulty level is set to hard and the APO is gone and the dumbass AI just keeps chasing itself....instead of me. WTF? I miss the ole Carma 1 cops. They were sonsabitches.

Are ya planning to set this up with random opponent start points? (my initial intent).
I like the idea of a lone car starting out in the middle of nowhere and random opponents coming out of the woodwork and ganging up on the player a la "Bruise Brothers."

I'm amazed, man....This thing is looking better and better every day.

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

If you search 'nastiness level' you'll get a lot of results. This is a good thread
Signs don't get added in SketchUp. I haven't even thought about start points.
Yeah, I really want to fill in the last missing chunks so I can get it ingame and drive on it. :rockon:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup. I c'n dig the process. I'm just sayin'. :grin: The idea with Jebediah's plane sounds great!

*checkin' out that link now*

*EDIT** OK, Now I got it. I've been setting the nastiness level waaaaaay too low, apparently.

Thanks!

Sez Coffey:

"Yeah, I really want to fill in the last missing chunks so I can get it ingame and drive on it."

Take me with ya, man.... I can't wait to drive that map... :rockon:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Maxy: This is the area of NSW Australia I terrain modeled. From northwest of the Mundi Mundi Mountains to Broken Hill and well west of The Pinnacles.

Coffey's in the process of actually making it bigger to add circuitous routes to the roadways.

Seems like a pretty big place. :grin:
D-B modeed maxmap area
D-B modeed maxmap area
whole D_B maxmap.jpg (137.6 KiB) Viewed 6863 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I was working a little on the pinnacles area. I messed with the lookout so there was place to park and overlook the refinery. Put a kinda washout/trail to drive up.

Since I've never done explosive objects before, I did a little test map using the stock C2 petrol pump. Kept the names the same so I could copy/paste from the newcity1.txt and it worked. Even swaps to the broken pump model.

Increased the number in the 'side-effect smashes' setting hoping the blast would knock over the stacks of hay bales. But they don't move.
Is this side-effect just for other smashables? Not noncars?

UPDATE

I guess it's for other smashables. I added a second pump and stacked bales right up along side.
Now second pump explodes a second after the first and knocks over bales in the way.

I should try placing a bale on top of a pump.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I should try placing a bale on top of a pump.
For science.

Looking good JC :)
I like ideas like that panorama point of view.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice! I like the overlook idea, too. I was hoping that would be possible. Might be a good place to sit and watch all the AI cars stuck in the moat. :lol: I SO can't wait to drive on this map.... (You DO know I check this thread every day...right? :grin: )

Cool explosion experiments... :thumbsup:

Question on the middle pinnacle... Is it possible to pull the whole thing up so it looks like this-even a little bit so ya have to drive downhill to the refinery? The way I made it it's just way too flat.
(This is part of what I never got to do)
mad-max-2-compound.jpg
mad-max-2-compound.jpg (117.71 KiB) Viewed 6772 times

I don't remember if there's enough polys around it to slant the terrain upward around the pinnacle without screwing the whole thing up.

I seriously like where this is going.
Awesome work, man. Thanks for the update!

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, let me see what I can do about. If I need to add polys, I'll do that.

I was watching some of MM2 to get a closer look at the pinnacles and noticed I have the wrong kind of texture on them. They are dark and rocky.

I noticed there's also a fenced-in pen with camels outside the refinery. I might add something with sheep(?) I hope to spend some time later today messing around.

UPDATE

Added slope. Using rockier (too rocky?) texture on mountain.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice!
Actually that texture is pretty darned close.. But yeah. Mebbe the wrong kinda rock. Yours looks more like granite. The pinnacles look more.....'granular' instead of stratified. Like the second pic-it looks like the pinnacles is made of that pile of stones in the foreground (worn-down mountain?)
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
29264690.jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
pd176052.jpg
pd176052.jpg (107.5 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
I see where ya pulled up the terrain. Good. That thing is up pretty high by the pictures.
Nicely done.

Like the pen. I forgot about that thing.

Last edited by Deep_Blue on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha cool!
I gave the same treatment to the upper pinnacles (in distance)

For science
Hay bale on top does get thrown. That means I can place loose oil barrels on top of the exploding stacks for more flying debris
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah. Now that I see the texture up closer-that looks better now. I like it.
I also like how the desert terrain texture tiling isn't quite so obvious at some altitude.
The other pinnacle and surrounding area takes away from any discrepancy in the type of rock texture. It looks awesome. :grin:

Nice. Exploding barrels are righteous.

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Actual ingame shots
I figured id pop it into the game even with all the unfinished sections. Found odd places that need fixing I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, I guess that's the best way to find 'em. (The glitches)

So how's it like to drive in there? Plenty of room or what? (I dunno exactly how big/small the map was when I gave it to ya and you've made it even bigger.)

Can't wait to run around the place meself.

:beer:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

This map is frikkin huge. You really need to go into OPTIONS.TXT and crank up the yon (mine's 700) to see the mountains in distance.

I'll send you the map as is. But there's no opponent paths, noncars, road roughness, no nothing.
Huge areas are untextured and weird glitchy things here and there. But otherwise it's great! :lol:

Do you need a C2T for Mapstockalypse or can you add it manually?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

heh. Holy flerking schnitt.

That big, eh? NOW I wanna drive! :grin:

Either way-All I really have to do is change a race name and point to the new txt to run it.

Yeah. Lemme drive around on it with the snatch stopped and see how big this thing is.

*wannadrivewannadrivewannadriveyeahyeahyeah*

Maxy........I think this is the "world" ya were looking for...

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Oh....HO...HO......HO......HO....HO......HO.......LEE.......FOOK!

Maxy......You....have....NO....idea...!

Ya need to pack a lunch if yer gonna play on this map.

HAHAHAHAHOHOHOHO! *giddy driver*

I drove for the better part of an hour /JUST/ ON /THE /TEXTURED /SURFACES/ and *STILL* didn't see everything!

I ran at 550MPH til ma finger started to go numb and made it from the refinery up the highway to Broken Hill then turned to head toward Mundi Mundi and left it planted at full throttle....and started to wonder when I was gonna get there. :lol:

(Found one of your 'roadwork' blocks the hard way along the way...Luckily didn't waste myself!) :supermad: :grin:

Hauled ass to Silverton-almost wasted myself on the parked Eagle-swerved around it and slid sideways into the side of the Silverton municipal chambers building... :grin:

Boogied up to the lookoutand took this screenie from a neighboring hilltop south of Mundi Mundi. The YON is set at 700 and I can only see as far as Silverton from up here. (I LIKE IT!)
On a hilltop overlooking Silverton-northwest corner of map.
On a hilltop overlooking Silverton-northwest corner of map.
Maxmap.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
Then booked up to the very northwest corner and ended up on one of your floating roads. I was tempted to follow it but remembered the blocks. Didn't know if there were any there, but it was untextured so I turned back and hauled at top speed in a straight line back to the airport. Took me nearly four minutes to make it back.

Dunno where the hell the opponents went, but they fer sure didn't get stuck in the refinery ditch. :lol: No map so I couldn't find 'em and they were wandering aimlessly anyways. Saw no a one after I ditched 'em at the starting lineup. (Mebbe they all went chugging off the other end of the map?) I dunno but I LOVE IT!

Ya, JC.

:grin: Beaucoup Epic.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Firstly, hat's off to you guys for this project and all progress. Impressive! :smile: :thumbsup:

About the hay bales, if it's still topical:

Smashable settings

Check out the "Number of non car cuboids activated" bit, that should be what you're looking for here (throw noncars around). If I recall, in the original game, it was only used to activate doors and lifts, but judging by the settings available ("Random up velocity <max>", etc), it might be possible to propel loose objects around with it as well.

The "Radius of side-effect smashes" only destroys other smashables and activates their settings, if any. And the mine effect from "Room turn on code", when set to "14", only blows up main cars. It gets a bit confusing sometimes with all these different options. :)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha, I had that cubiods activated set to zero.

Now it works great. Knocks over all the bales on the initial blast, even the stacks off to the side. Thanks C2 Sir!
Combining this with the side-effect smashes is going to make for one hell of a debris-filled explosion! Mwah ha ha ha.

Check who’s online