Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Highway To Hell/Anarchie Road track WIP progress...

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice work, man!

Nice touch, the gyro there. ;)
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok we're getting close,

I now have everything in the refinery set up except: the tirewall, some more random loose tires and crates and the moving bus gate.

I had made a wrecked version of the tanker but never got it to swap out in the sandbox map. Error said it couldn't find the actor/model. So I just removed it. On the big map I tried it again and got it to work! I think it suffers from the same problem that happens with SIMPLE models.

A lot of times when I setup SIMPLE car models they won't appear and I need to rename the object numerous times before it seems to take effect (thanks to Econo for the hint). I figured I try it on this tanker and rename the '&TANKER.ACT' one more time and that time it worked??

Right now there is no opponent path going to refinery. I've been thinking and I will add a optional path that leads to refinery and then circles it. I can set up the paths so that opponents will randomly take the road to the refinery and circle a random amount of times before they go on their merry way.

What I hope is that they will only occasionally spazz out and ram the compound and mostly just drive around 'harassing' them.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice! I like that.
Awesome work, man!
So how is the refinery explosion to be triggered? Like a gas pump or with a switch?

All at once, or domino effect?

Can't wait to play this map..... Heheh... :swheel:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Bump into anything too hard and you set off chain reaction. It is glorious. :rockon:
I would post video but I do not want to spoil it.
Game#041.jpg
Game#041.jpg (249.67 KiB) Viewed 8116 times
Game#039.jpg
Game#039.jpg (224.85 KiB) Viewed 8116 times
On to tirewall and gate. :twisted:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Noice!

Yes. By all means, the GAAAAAAATE!!

:grin:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

The map will be done this weekend. The last thing to do (I thought) was the moving bus gate and I finally got it to work.

You know, for me, sometimes making things for C2 using PT2 is like doing voodoo. I had fiddled with moving platforms before. The ones from the carrier. But I had also made (and since lost) a ferry boat that when you drove onto it it it slid sideways. So I figured setting up the moving bus would take a half an hour. I'm still doing everything first in the sandbox. Set it up to go sideways and it doesn't move. Cut and pasted paperwork from ferry. Will it go up and down? Yes it will! Will it go sideways? No! Import a C2 door that goes up and down. Check. Change paperwork to go sideways. Door sides sideways. C2 Door sides sideways and the bus wont. Bus only goes up and down. Voodoo.
Game#044.jpg
Game#044.jpg (237.98 KiB) Viewed 8074 times
After going through the steps numerous times I finally discovered that the bus was doing the same sort of thing where you had to keep either renaming it the same thing over and over until it took OR not be nested in a folder in the hierarchy. Only after I had flattened it did it work.
Game#045.jpg
Game#045.jpg (235.59 KiB) Viewed 8074 times
That finally got the bus to move in the right direction. But then once the bus was moved away from 0,0,0 the BBox was lost! But I could move C2 doors around and they'd keep their box. Gah! THIS is what to do:
Import, leave it at 0,0,0 position. Put into a new folder inside the map. Flatten hierarchy of folder with bus renaming it one last time to what it should be. SAVE. Only NOW can you can move bus away from 0,0,0 and into position.
Game#047.jpg
Game#047.jpg (241.23 KiB) Viewed 8074 times
When I first assigned Peds to spawn on the square of ground the camp sits on nothing happened.
Then I remembered that the ground is an imported .ACT. I guess you can only use textures that are used on the static model.

So went back to your model in CarEd and made an area to have peds. This is a hundred times better than assigning them to the bigger texture. Now I can put them right where they're needed. With the bigger texture, they'd be outside the fence and down in the gulley and other randomly stupid places.
pedpatch.jpg
pedpatch.jpg (343.72 KiB) Viewed 8074 times
Just use a transparent texture on the ped area.

OK, so last things to do

Repeat steps and import bus into big map.
Gather up the new drones and peds

Right now bus stays after explosion. It might have to just be the way it is. Maybe it can get removed, dunno. It would be more fiddling with paperwork at that point either way. After wrestling with this particular problem for the last few days I'm just glad to have a working gate.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

AWESOME!!!!
*chomping at the bit*

I can live with a remaining bus. It IS heavy and one of the furthest things out.

Any chance of a texture change onnit? (think burned out bus in the Middle East).

Kick-ass job, man! I've been waiting for over a year to see this thing happen. I sure hope ya made a backup copy. This one'll make history.
It sure has come a loooonnng way from a few points in CarEd last September...
Maxed Out beginning
Maxed Out beginning
MundiMundi.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

No texture change. I already ran into trying this on the refinery. It only works on static objects not noncars. At least not for me it doesn't.

I might be able to remove it but not sure. Having something movable and explosive is kinda odd. I'd need to make sure it doesn't explode when you tap it to open but still go boom when the rest of the compound goes up.

Like I said it's just all done in the paperwork so I will try tonight after I get the bus setup in the big map. If it works right away great, otherwise it'll just stay as is. I am wrapping this up this weekend no matter what. I gotta start getting in gear for the holidays.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I hear ya JC.

After all the work you've done on this thing-the bus staying put is fairly insignificant. I'm just glad it worked like a gate. 'Tis a fairly coolish looking bus.

Just out of curiosity-what's the loading time on the big map with what you've done so far? (I know everybody's will vary, but just to get a rough idea.)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

'bout a minute and a half load time
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

coffeycup wrote:'bout a minute and a half load time
Wow. Not bad atall.

:thumbsup:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I think we have pushed this map to the edge. It's like a stack of dishes and cups 10 feet tall.
Even though I have two, TWO! test maps with the bus gate working I could not get it to work on the big map.
You can see it, but drive thru it. Even if I leave it at the 0,0,0 origin!!!

So, bad news, I have it parked in the open position unmoving. Good news, at least I can have it change to a burnt version. :crazy:

I will pack it up today for you D_B to test first.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, big stacka stuff teetering precariously. OK mon.

Make it change to burnt on explosion and call it a day.

*EDIT- I noticed that there were no Wez and Landau drones in the new ones list. Didya decide against those?

Helluva effort, man. I applaud ya. :rockon:

Did ya make the opponent path to/around the refinery?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I sent you an email a few days ago re drones. You'll need to figure those out yourself. I'm done.
I feel I've gone above and beyond helping out. There was plenty of stuff I had to figure out for this map I'd never done before.

Yes, AI will randomly circle refinery.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. No problem. I'll get learnin.
And yes you have-it has become a spectacular thing on account of all you've done to it.

I just drove it and the refinery explosion truly is a glorious thing. :grin:

Many thanks again, man!

:rockon:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, good. I finally got everything into the zip. :ssurpr:

You can download the map here
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well, what can I say? This is enormous.
I played for a good 30-35 min to try to see a bit of everything.
It really feels like Mad Max. Nice to see differents parts of the environment (woods in the north, desert, swamps).
I was surprised to easily recognize a lot of places from the movies.
The drones add a lot to the whole. That gyrocopter is ace heh.

At some point I thought, too bad it's lowpoly and has a low texel density, but then maybe this is a gooden actually as this feels like a real oldschool C2 item.
I just wasn't too fond of the powerup texture and I replaced it with a crate texture.

About the zip archive, you included 2 noncar files that are already present in the vanilla installation: 17right_s which is unmodified, and 79oildrum_01 which you modified (here I renamed it).

Good job, Coffeycup and D_B :thumbsup:

Edit: Also, the red markers on the minimap were much needed. And making the camp explode is almost suicide.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I'm glad you like it. There's so much stuff in the map it'll take a while before you see it all. I don't mind the old school low poly feel, and besides, load time would've been even longer if it weren't :smile:
I'm not going to worry about extra the 2 small noncar TXT. Actually it's only one, the oil drum needed to be fixed or it crashed game. (it had 34 node BBox? )

It literally took hours to sort out what needed to go into the zip. Every time I thought I had it, I'd get another 'Can't find...' error. :crazy:
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I finally tried it. I downloaded some madmax-ish cars from the internets put down 8 opponents. set the agression up to maximum.. Then made a new car to drive around in..... well Ok not make.. I downloaded the 62 F100, and stuck a bunch of pices on it from other peoples cars.. (but hey I made the tarp!)

I dident even plan that but I was going full speed and thought I could weve betwene the cars, I ended up hitting the mercedes and sending it spinning off to the edge of the road. Accidently recreating the Mad Max opening.

Its a nice place guys, I like the long stright roads at times. where your being chased by a slightly faster opponent bumping into you from behind. The AI seems to work nicley on these open maps. it seemd a little confused in city spaces and such.

Good work to all!. seriusly it easily looks professinal 90s gaming. I can imagine models like these in games. Infact ive seen worse in my ps1 games. worse looking higher polly stuff.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

D_B: Thanks for coming up withe idea and getting it rolling. How you did what you did using CarEd still blows my mind. :supercrazy:

Maxine: You have to try your tractor trailer train on this!
Carma2_hw#018.jpg
Carma2_hw#018.jpg (187.49 KiB) Viewed 7984 times
Tosh: I went around and around on PU texture.I did have a crate at first but thought it too easy to miss. I encourage people to edit and customize.

Some recommendations and tips:

- Go into PEDS/SETTINGS.TXT and find Group #27. Change the PLANEER to OSCAR
(This replaces guy in blue jacket and camera hanging out with cows and sheep(!) with a dog.)
- Most 'Points of Interest' are marked on map. Visit them all!
- While you're driving around be sure to visit the trolls under the bridge and stay for a bit!
- It's Happy Hour at the airport bar!
- Can't find the 'roos? They don't live in the mountains or desert!
- See how many workers you can kill without setting off an explosion at the refinery!

Some Suggested Cars
Under TV Moviecars
ImageImageImage

A few cool fitting cars (there'slots more)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Map uses explicit opponents #21 - #34 (skips #32) Plan your OPPONENT.TXT accordingly, or edit the explicit opponents for MaxMap in the RACES.TXT
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Epic work Coffey and D_B, epic! My god is it huge. I have seen the model in 3ds max, but it is hard to imagine the scale of things when you are not driving it. The little surprises down the road are great. Loading trucks for jumping, drones flying by, towns and hidden settlements. I'm sure the is lots more that I didn't find yet.
I must admit I am not really familiar with the mad max series, so I don't know what things are represented that are in the movies. Maybe I should give the series another look ;)
Nevertheless, I think you guys did a great job on it!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

- See how many workers you can kill without setting off an explosion at the refinery!
Challenge complete!
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice work, Coffey.

I am just gabberflasted at how far the debris from the refinery explosion can fly. Last time I blew it up I found the fractioning column in the creekbed by the bridge.

:supercrazy:
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Great work D_B and Coffey on this one, Well worth the wait. Thanks. :smile:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice.
Landauwreck.jpg
Landauwreck.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 7918 times
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Excelent map, thanks Coffey and D_B for the time and dedication. :beer:

I'm going to miss this thread.
neitronsucks
pedestrian

Post by neitronsucks »

Huge thanks to Coffey and DB! :smile:
This is great! Really it was long ago for me that carma was so exciting. Not to say that I dont dig it in general, im still a fan, but here I was just hving a blast.
Really, I got to try this for 15 minutes so far, and it already sucked me in. Great map, nicely done (thanks again JC and DB for putting a lot of effort in this) and it's helluva lot of fun to play. Really what I was always missing in C2 is that driving experience (one that you have here when driving those really long roads). Just the feeling that you actually going to somwhere you know. The distance, it really shows.
Loving the mood of this map! Mad max movies, yeah I really dig those and the references were nice to spot.

p.s. the time the map loads for my comuter is ridiculous and is the only thing I can complain (though I know it has nothing to do with carma, only my shitty comp specs). Overall i think gotta wait for 3 or 4 minutes to play this baby :supercrazy:

p.p.s But yeah, still have a lot more to learn abput this map and play it properly. Thanks again to you guys! It's so cool. :cool:
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

Good god almighty what a crazy track. I can get up to 700mph on a straight away for a couple minutes and barely cross an inch on the worldmap. The only other thing I can compare it to is the Mad Max 1 track for the ancient freeware Racer X game. I wish I can find that one again. Some guy recreated all of the locations from the first movie and brilliantly strung it together as a rally race with dozens of shortcuts. A complete lap would take a couple hours and there were no empty spaces. There was the MFP HQ, the farms, bridges, forest, the beaches, everything. Your map is the logical sequel I waited almost a decade for.

My only complaint is driving offroad is pretty much impossible. I understand why you designed it that way but it's frustrating as hell.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Mad_Max_RW wrote:My only complaint is driving offroad is pretty much impossible. I understand why you designed it that way but it's frustrating as hell.
You can always turn down the bumpiness.
Open MaxMap.txt and search for bumpiness. (there should be 3 or 4 references)

1.0 is smooth as glass

@Mastro. Awwww, well I learned a ton on this map and I already have some ideas for a new one.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Neitron: That's what I wanted-(like Maxy said, a 'world' instead of just a track).

I wanted it to feel like I was IN the Mad Max 2 movie. (I currently have several MM2 movie cars in the works especially for this map-(ingame but need tweaking). The Snake towtruck, The Landau, Wez's Kwaka, and one from the upcoming MM4 movie-The FrankenUte. I have started on Humungus' vehicle.

My "Maxed Out! loading time sucks too....Three or four minutes-but then I'm running it on an Acer Aspire One netbook. :grin:

MMRW: I have the Racer game and the 'Anarchy Road' map for it. Wasn't able to run it on my machine so far but I can send it to ya or direct ya to where ya can get it.

Glad you guys like the place I dreamed up-but Coffey gets the kudos. He added new areas to it and made it all work.

:rockon:
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

just gotta say i absolutely love this map and had to turn up the gravity as it felt like driving on the moon
Still alive some how
neitronsucks
pedestrian

Post by neitronsucks »

@ DB: Wow, a Humungus vehicle! I'm pretty pump for that one.
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

coffey, that is so much nicer. Thanks. Now I don't have to quit when an opponent is at the other side of the map. Lovin these high speeds.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

MMRW: Cool, I hope you didn't make it too smooth, thas' no fun. :wink:

Hey D_B why do your road textures look so whack in that screenshot? Is that what they look like ingame for you? :investigate:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup. You mean the wavy, out-of-tune look?

Uh-huh. Sometimes they're crisp and straight and other times they look like that.
I'm running VanillaC2 under zeck's glidewrapper and DX9 on a netbook. Dunno if that has anything to do with it.
Is there some kinda setting that causes that? At one time I could've sworn it had to do with the orientation of the road as roads going one direction were like that and others were ok, but now it seems that it doesn't make much difference. Been that way on this map only since day 1.

Check who’s online