Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[WIP] Carmageddon: Post-Carpocalypse! Total Conversion

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Fireman
motorised death

[WIP] Carmageddon: Post-Carpocalypse! Total Conversion

Post by Fireman »

So I've started some work on my "Total Conversion" which will have new vehicles (see Car Pack) new maps, new peds, new missions and a lot of other new awesome stuff! The Credits will be approximately 293 pages long.

It takes place 10 years after the end of C2 (when Max blew up the nuclear silo). Only he did not destroy the world, just himself and a gigantic part of it. He's been in a coma ever since and he just woke up!

So there's a post-apocalyptic setting for you!

Here's the video of the first group, I'll be uploading more videos as I go along. I do not have a name yet, I thought Reincarnation would be a good name, since he wakes up from a coma, but apparently that name was already taken!

Read the descriptions of the races and check out the flashy Fallout loading and menu screens, how original of me (yeah I forgot to change the new game screen :( )

Here's the video of the first group!

I just noticed the description messed up a bit in the video so here they are:

STORY: AFTER BEING IN A COMA FOR 10 YEARS SINCE YOU BLEW UP THE NUCLEAR SILO, YOU WAKE UP IN A LABORATORY COVERED IN SCARS! BETTER GET OUT OF HERE!
OBJECTIVE: DESTROY THE SECURITRON GUARDS

STORY: YOU ESCAPED THE LABORATORY ONLY TO END UP IN A WASTELAND, THE TOWN SEEMS TO BE WIPED AWAY BY THE NUCLEAR SILO EXPLOSION, ALL THAT REMAINS ARE IRRADIATED DESERT FOLK.
OBJECTIVE: SURVIVE!

STORY: YOU ARRIVE IN YOUR FIRST CITY, OR WELL IT USED TO BE A CITY. NOW IT'S A GIANT RUIN POPULATED BY IRRADIATED LEFTOVERS FROM THE NUCLEAR EXPLOSION.

4. Mission
STORY: TO SURVIVE YOU'RE GOING TO NEED SOME MONEY, SO YOU SIGNED UP FOR A RACE, BETTER BEAT THE BEST TIME!
OBJECTIVE: WIN THE RACE!

Only Wasteland Desert and Ruination City use the irradiated ghoul-type of ped (... FINE THEY'RE ZOMBIES) the further you move away from the nuclear explosion the bigger cities will become and the less "zombies" there will be.

Any comments are welcome, especially ones about improving the HUD :x
Last edited by Fireman on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: [WIP] Total Conversion

Post by Harmalarm »

aha, I see you are bringing it all together! I really like that idea.

The video you show already looks promising. The changed HUD elements in combinations with the cars and tracks works really well. It is starting to look like an entire new game that way.

I think the Powerslide tracks (seaview dunes and the city) are great for this mod. I have a couple of other tracks like that on the shelf. Errol was kind enough to turn them into c2 format, and I did some final model editing and track setup. Some are nearly finished, others need more work, but I still plan to release all of them. I will try and release them soon, so you can put them in as well if you like ;)

as for a name. Carmgeddon 'scars' is not right I think. There is already a game names scars, whitch was quite horrible i.m.o. Perhaps something like 'carmageddon awakening'?

great mod man, keep it up.
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Harmalarm wrote:aha, I see you are bringing it all together! I really like that idea.

The video you show already looks promising. The changed HUD elements in combinations with the cars and tracks works really well. It is starting to look like an entire new game that way.

I think the Powerslide tracks (seaview dunes and the city) are great for this mod. I have a couple of other tracks like that on the shelf. Errol was kind enough to turn them into c2 format, and I did some final model editing and track setup. Some are nearly finished, others need more work, but I still plan to release all of them. I will try and release them soon, so you can put them in as well if you like ;)

as for a name. Carmgeddon 'scars' is not right I think. There is already a game names scars, whitch was quite horrible i.m.o. Perhaps something like 'carmageddon awakening'?

great mod man, keep it up.
Thanks! The HUD is the normal HUD from CL2, I'm not sure if I'm going to change it yet though (I should). The Powerslide tracks really have that awesome post-apocalyptic feeling. A town buried in sand, town ruins, abandoned mines. It would be great to be able to add more of those tracks. There's no rush though, even if I finish the mod it takes me 900 years before I sorted out what to put in the .rar to make it work! So many files O.O

Matt had Carmageddon: Scarred for life, as new name for the new Carmageddon :P.
Awakening could work, but it doesn't have the word Car in it!

Speedbowl is actually missioned as a race with disabled time awards, so you'll have to win the race by checkpoints while being banged up by opponents. A bit of a twist to the normal races held in C2.
Last edited by Fireman on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

But Carmageddon has the word 'car' in it, so what's the problem.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Razor wrote:
But Carmageddon has the word 'car' in it, so what's the problem.
That doesn't count... maybe I should just stick with Carmageddon: Macaroni. Or Carnaval, or... Caramel....
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

'Carmageddon: Carpocalyptic Reincarnation at the Carnage Carnival of Carnal desires' <- problem solved.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Razor wrote:'Carmageddon: Carpocalyptic Reincarnation at the Carnage Carnival of Carnal desires' <- problem solved.
Haha, that emphasizes the fact that there will be cars almost enough!

Maybe this works:
Carmageddon: Cars

Here's a video of the third mission, I wasn't suppose to record it yet, cause it's in group 3, but I thought it is too brilliant to hold back.

STORY: THE RAIDERS WERE SENT BY THE SCIENTISTS FROM THE LAB TO CAPTURE YOU! TRACK THEM DOWN AND KILL THEM AND THEIR TOYS!
OBJECTIVE: DESTROY THE ROBOTS AND SCIENTISTS!

Mission 3

Check it out!

The crates can give you some weaponry or only credits, if you're unlucky you won't get any weapons and won't be able to kill the robots.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

How about 'Carmageddon: Post-Carpocalypse' or maybe even 'Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Later!' ;)
Fireman
motorised death

Re: [WIP] Carmageddon: Post-Carpocalypse! Total Conversion

Post by Fireman »

I made a (I think so myself anyway) cool little twist to the story.

After he wakes up from the coma, he beats up a scientist and steals his Segway (Scientists are always on segways) then he ends up in a garage where all his former cars are stocked (Eagle 1, 2, 3, 4,) and you have to choose one to play with.

The garage will only have Slaughter Mortar power-ups and as soon as you kill one of the cars, the map stops.

I made an example of how it will look using C2S's Round Hell map without path nodes:

This will take up Group 1 entirely, but that's ok, because I don't have all groups full yet anyway (and I could add some secret levels after you unlock the ability to go back to Group 1 ^^)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

You used the name I came up with, hoorah! Also is that load screen from Fallout? I recognise it.

EDIT: Also, you need to place those cars in the right order: Eagle, Eagle II, Eagle 3, Eagle 4 as opposed to Eagle 3, Eagle, Eagle II, Eagle 4. And a different map may suffice for this 'car selection', maybe you could make a small garage map.
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Razor wrote:You used the name I came up with, hoorah! Also is that load screen from Fallout? I recognise it.

EDIT: Also, you need to place those cars in the right order: Eagle, Eagle II, Eagle 3, Eagle 4 as opposed to Eagle 3, Eagle, Eagle II, Eagle 4. And a different map may suffice for this 'car selection', maybe you could make a small garage map.
Yeah, the Car Pack already carried the name Post-Carpocalypse so might as well use it for the TC, the loadingscreen will change to look more like the classic one though, currently it's indeed the Fallout 2 Loading Screen.

About the garage, that was the idea :P To make a garage with similar textures as in Troma Labs. I forgot about the right order, but this was just a test to see if it actually worked properly.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

That's looking pretty cool. Nice to see a bunch of stuff from Mac Carpocalypse. :smile:
I would definitely get a more appropriate load screen. Maybe an ingame screenshot that you then apply a photoshop filter to, or make monochrome?

If you're still looking fer names what about Carmageddon: Total Carnage
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Re: Car selection

Post by C2 Scientist »

As for the car selection part: if you want, you could consider making a garage with a windowed control room above, containing pushable buttons/switches/plungers for each car. Upon choosing a car and hitting the respective switch, an elevator below the car would activate, slowly lifting the car into a hole in the ceiling, and after a few seconds, the car would be crushed as the lift keeps going even though the space in the hole runs out. Of course, the player would still see the message that the car was wasted, but at least the car choosing part was more logical than blowing it up.

Although, blowing things up is fun too. :P

Of course, the player might choose to waste multiple cars by hitting all of the switches while there's time to do so, but they wouldn't have the money to buy more than one, I suppose.

Well, just an idea!
Fireman
motorised death

Re: Car selection

Post by Fireman »

C2_Scientist wrote:As for the car selection part: if you want, you could consider making a garage with a windowed control room above, containing pushable buttons/switches/plungers for each car. Upon choosing a car and hitting the respective switch, an elevator below the car would activate, slowly lifting the car into a hole in the ceiling, and after a few seconds, the car would be crushed as the lift keeps going even though the space in the hole runs out. Of course, the player would still see the message that the car was wasted, but at least the car choosing part was more logical than blowing it up.

Although, blowing things up is fun too. :P

Of course, the player might choose to waste multiple cars by hitting all of the switches while there's time to do so, but they wouldn't have the money to buy more than one, I suppose.

Well, just an idea!
You're overestimating my capabilities! Which is always nice to read :P

I'd love to make such a map, but I can't even get PlayThing to work, never modeled before and have no idea how to set up anything in a map xD. (That's the perfect way to start a TC right? :P)

Now I got the Eagle Redux by TDA, Eagle III by HarmAlarm and Eagle IV by TTR. Eagle 2 is SoupaVedg conversion, which is cool but it isn't the same quality as the other three eagles, is there another remake from Eagle 2?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha ha, I like this idea! I might even volunteer to make a medium sized level for you.

What would be really cool is to have 2 versions of Maxine's "terrorist on a segway", one version reskinned as Max for the player and the other reskinned as scientists that would chase you through the complex until you got to the control room.

But I suppose as soon as you put in path nodes for the evil segways the Eagles would want to start chasing you as well..hmmm, unless their lift was enclosed in a 'cage' to keep them in place.

Also too, you'd need to destroy the segways as well as the Eagles to end the level. Which, I believe would make the level a bit more fun. Err, but segways would be in the wreck gallery. Maybe that's not so good either. I wish I thought of that before I started typing...
:suicide:

OR

Maybe its just a level with scientist and robot peds, no path nodes??
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

coffeycup wrote:Ha ha, I like this idea! I might even volunteer to make a medium sized level for you.

What would be really cool is to have 2 versions of Maxine's "terrorist on a segway", one version reskinned as Max for the player and the other reskinned as scientists that would chase you through the complex until you got to the control room.

But I suppose as soon as you put in path nodes for the evil segways the Eagles would want to start chasing you as well..hmmm, unless their lift was enclosed in a 'cage' to keep them in place.

Also too, you'd need to destroy the segways as well as the Eagles to end the level. Which, I believe would make the level a bit more fun. Err, but segways would be in the wreck gallery. Maybe that's not so good either. I wish I thought of that before I started typing...
:suicide:
If I had the skills to do anything besides .txt editing I'd make a hallway with one checkpoint at the end which would be the door to the "garage". The first level would be Max racing against those scientists on segways, then as you reach the checkpoint you passed the first level.

The next level would be the garage with just the four eagles, where you select a car.

Then the third one would be the escape from Troma Labs, as it is in the video of Group 1.

PS. I always thought there was a Max Damage ped available, there is one ride?
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Behold, the awesomeness of Mastro!

He made a map which was EXACTLY what I had in mind, and then he made it ten times better! :rockon:

All credits go to him of course!

Here's a video of the car selection as it'll be:

Here.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

As for the car selection part: if you want, you could consider making a garage with a windowed control room above, containing pushable buttons/switches/plungers for each car. Upon choosing a car and hitting the respective switch, an elevator below the car would activate, slowly lifting the car into a hole in the ceiling, and after a few seconds, the car would be crushed as the lift keeps going even though the space in the hole runs out. Of course, the player would still see the message that the car was wasted, but at least the car choosing part was more logical than blowing it up.
Man, are you in my mind or are you me??!! I thought the same thing.
Look:
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

So I tried out the Segways in Troma Labs hallways and the result was hilarious, I laughed for 15 minutes straight at the Segways trying to:

1. Run over people.
2. Wasting me.
3. Making corners.

Especially the beginning, they look like a group of acrobats!

Here's a small video:

Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Load screen, not yet perfect, I've done something wrong.

C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Man, are you in my mind or are you me??!! I thought the same thing.
Look:
Hehe. :lol:

I watched the video, and came up with the following finishing touches. Of course, feel free to do your own thing, it's just something I would do: ;)

1) Cut the holes in the ceiling (if you want to hide the car getting wrecked)
2) Lower the lift speed slightly, for a more 'dramatic' effect
3) Raise the "pause-at-top" setting of the lift to some obscenely high value, so that the player won't see it return during the credits counting
4) The grill texture could serve as an activator. Even better, replace it with (neon-)lit 'touchpad', which would look something like [ ] from above. Textures can activate the lifts, like they do in the nuclear silo levels. You wouldn't need to setup an entry for each touchpad either: just use the 'relative' setting to setup a lift-sized activation volume directly in front of each touchpad.

Example code for activating noncars with a trigger material, adjust the 1st/2nd corner coordinates if necessary:

Code: Select all

1              // Number of smashable specs

0		    // Flags
Touchpad	// Name of trigger &model or texture
nochange	// Mode
0		    // Removal threshold
0		    // Number of possible sounds (touchpad activation sound?)
0	    	// Shrapnel count
0	    	// Number of explosion groups (lift sparks?)
none	    // Slick material

1		// Number of non car cuboids activated

1,1      // Min, Max delay before activating
	relative // Absolute / relative
	-1	    // Two-digit number of noncars to activate, -1 = any noncar. (09 can activate 09Lift.txt, etc.)
	-1,-1,-1 // Activation volume, 1st corner of the box.
	1,1,1    // Activation volume, 2nd corner of the box. (opposite of the first corner)
	0,0  	 // Min, max towards you speed
	0	 	 // Impactee velocity factor
	0	 	 // Maximum random velocity
	0	 	 // Maximum random vertical velocity
	0	 	 // Maximum random normal velocity
	0	  	// Maximum random spin rate

0		// Radius of side-effect smashes
0		// Extensions flags
0		// Powerup award, or a mine
none   // Award code
0		// Number of run time variable changes
0		// Reserved 1
0		// Reserved 2
0		// Reserved 3
0		// Reserved 4
Sorry for the spam. :smile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Sorry for the spam.
Spam? That's gold! :lol:
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

I've been having some other ideas, and since I know nothing about modding, I wonder if they're possible.

Can there be horizontal elevators? They don't go up, but they go sideways.

I've been thinking about the scientists chasing you on Segways and thought it'd be cool to have a hallway with touch pads that would activate the elevators from the side to crush you into the wall if you're not quick enough. (or two elevators from both sides that crush you in the middle)

Like this: One elevator from each side and they crush you in the middle.

| = wall
-] = sideways elevator
. = Car

|-].[-|
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

One of the following would happen:
1. The game would crash when the car began glitching between both crushers
2. The crushers would just stop when they both came into contact with the car simultaneously

One example of number 2 would be the doors to the Nuclear Silo, when you drive a vehicle on them and they close, as soon as they meet in the middle with your car inbetween the top half of the door will go back up and the bottom half will stop for a few seconds and then go back down. The car doesn't get crushed but the door goes back to it's initial position.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yes, you need to edit the NONCAR txt for the lift you're using. Look at the line that says //Axis

Code: Select all

INFINITE_I
WORLD_TRANSLATION_JOINT
0 , 0 , 0
0 , 1 , 0		   	   // Axis. (direction of movement: x , y , z) See note 4.
1.5	  			   // Distance of movement: how far it will move.
7				   // Forward acceleration in g, see note 5.
5				   // Reverse acceleration in g.
1				   // Resistance when going forward.
1				   // Resistance when reversing. (returning)
5000			           // Pause at the end (in milliseconds) before returning.
IGNORE_WORLD_COLLISIONS	   	   // Doesn't collide with world (if the path goes through the ground, so will the lift too)
RISE_WHEN_DRIVEN_ON	           // See note 6.
NUMBER_OF_PUSHES
BLOCK_CAMERA
DRIVABLE_ON			   // You can drive on the lift

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note 4:
Put -1 to "X" to make it go left, or 1 to make it go right.
Put -1 to "Y" to make it go down, or 1 to make it go up.
Put -1 to "Z" to make it go forward, or 1 to make it reverse.

(from Tutorial for making C2 tracks by C2 Scientist and Econobrick)
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

just use the 'relative' setting to setup a lift-sized activation volume directly in front of each touchpad.
Cmap is not my first map. Look: http://carma666.i8.com/files.html. I used smashables many times in the past (fences, glass, noncar activators, etc), but I've always used the absolute setting.
The grill texture could serve as an activator.
I put the grill textures in the map to make them activators, but I have so many crash issues with smashables. :mad: even with preprocessing. :supermad: I need to try the 'relative' setting.
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Razor wrote:One of the following would happen:
1. The game would crash when the car began glitching between both crushers
2. The crushers would just stop when they both came into contact with the car simultaneously
That was what I was expecting, no effect.
coffeycup wrote:Yes, you need to edit the NONCAR txt for the lift you're using. Look at the line that says //Axis
[(from Tutorial for making C2 tracks by C2 Scientist and Econobrick)
Thanks for that. Seems the only options is an elevator that goes sideways against the wall then, like this:

|.[---|
Mastro 666 wrote:
The grill texture could serve as an activator.
I put the grill textures in the map to make them activators, but I have so many crash issues with smashables. :mad: even with preprocessing. :supermad: I need to try the 'relative' setting.
Don't feel forced to do this by the way! I'm more than happy that you even helped me with the Garage :D
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

The smashable stuff didn't work well at all.
If anyone wants to give me some help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

CMap: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WBHL6N0J

:wink:
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

When I first tried the map and picked an activator, everything worked fine and I wondered what the problem is. After testing some more, I noticed that sometimes unwanted lifts activate as well.

I think I've figured out what causes this. There may be a problem with the "relative"-setting I wasn't aware of: it actually seems to check what direction your vehicle is facing. If you drive on the activator while facing directly forward (staring at the lift in front of it), no unwanted lifts should activate. But if you drive on the activator at a 45° angle, the other nearby lifts will probably activate as well.

So maybe it's safer to use the "absolute"-setting after all.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Even after many years, this game (and C1) still has so much more content we haven't fully used.
Anyway, thanks for the help C2_Scientist.
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

I made a video of Group 2, the story kinda went to 0% for a while, just kill some raiders aight?

Watch it here.

The idea is, that Max is back on his way to Max's End of Town, to find out what the fuck is going on.

Descriptions in case you can't read them:

HELL DORADO

STORY: AFTER WINNING THE SPEEDBOWL CUP YOU'RE ON YOUR WAY THROUGH THE DESERT TO GRIT CITY, WATCH OUT FOR RAIDERS!

GRIT CITY

STORY: FOLLOWING THE DESERT YOU END UP IN A SMALL CITY CALLED GRIT CITY, RAIDERS ARE SCALVAGING AS MUCH AS THEY CAN! STOP THEM OR RUN AWAY!

MERCON CITY (HTA Track)

STORY: YOU ARRIVE IN YOUR FIRST BIG CITY, THE ENTIRE AREA SEEMS DESTROYED AND THERE'S NOT MUCH OF THE CITY LEFT, EXCEPT SOME RAIDERS!

---- MISSION ----
THE CACTUS ARENA

STORY: THE RAIDERS GLADIATORS OF MERCON CITY HAVE PROMISED TO LEAVE YOU ALONE IF YOU'RE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE OF THE CACTUS ARENA!
OBJECTIVE: WIN THE CACTUS ARENA CHALLENGE!

I couldn't find the Max Damage textures by the way, anyone has an idea where to find them, I still want to make a level full of clones so :P
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

So I finally have some races to add to the first group.

As soon as you choose one of the cars you get three (flashbacK) races.

1st one is Bleak City from C1
2nd one is Beaver City from C2
3rd one is Hollowood from TDR (might have to change to Hell, cause Hollowood has no opponent pathing)

Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

I'll be rereleasing Hollowood and Hell fairly soon with various fixes. Hollowood will gain all the opponent paths, drones and things that are currently missing too.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Errol wrote:I'll be rereleasing Hollowood and Hell fairly soon with various fixes. Hollowood will gain all the opponent paths, drones and things that are currently missing too.
Awesome, that's great news!

In my opinion Hollowood always resembled TDR the best, but that might just be because I only played it shortly, and Hollowood is one of the first maps you play :P

An update for people interested, here's a list of all tracks of Group 1 till 8:

Garage (Mastro)
Bleak City 2.0 (Chevy)
Beaver City
Hollowood (Errol)

Troma Labs (Mastro)
Seaview Dunes (Harmalarm)
Urban Brawl (Harmalarm)
Speedbowl (Toshiba)

Hell Dorado (Coffeycup)
Grit City (Coffeycup)
HTA Track (Toshiba)
The Cactus (Harmalarm)

Ruined Roads (Coffeycup)
Dune Buggered (Remake by Chevy)
Home Sweet Groan
Iraq My Brains (Coffeycup)

The Route (Mastro)
Death Street 2.0 (Chevy)
Nukleen City (Econobrick)
Blood on the Tracks (Coffeycup & Mad Maxine)

Mineshafted (Harmalarm)
Quarry1
Skitrack 1
Round Hell (C2S)

Schwarzwald (Savage Elve)

That's about how far I am at the moment.

Here are some additional peds which I've used, maybe I'll be replacing a lot more later:

- Granny (Coffey)
- Half-life2 Dog
- Zombie peds (stunt 1, sick 1, 2, 3, 4)
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

Does anyone know if, or how you can add a cutscene after you finish a certain race (not the last race) and which format the cutscene would have to be?

Check who’s online