Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Which is better?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
MetalliBasher
pedestrian

Which is better?

Post by MetalliBasher »

I was wondering, which do you guys think is a better editor for making vehicles for c2. I don't care 'bout making my own tracks but which is better out of PlayThing2 and CarEd??I have CarEd but PT2 shuts down as soon as I start it up saying there is some error(the colour settings are on 16 Bit)

Thanks, appreciate your help

By the way, does anybody want my first car? Its a racing wheelchair (inspired by the music video Meaning Of Life by the Offspring)

As u probably guessed by my name, I am a Metallica fan so I will be doing a car with a Metallica style texture. Any ideas for what the car should be? And does anybody have any good sites for car pics to use in CarEd with side, front and top shots?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Which is better?

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, dude-send that sucker over here. My addy's in my profile. Lemme check it out.

I'm a diehard CarEd freak. Easy as pie, but I hear tell PT2 (which BTW you can't model in) is way better for mapping the skins.

Car pics

here, here

and for some funky models of cars sent to me by CoffeyCup go here.

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: Deep_Blue ]
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
MetalliBasher
pedestrian

Post by MetalliBasher »

Thanks DB

BTW Big fan of your work. Your cars are awesome. I love the swamprat.

I had this wierd problem when i was trying out textures. I made a car (wheels with an axle ) and put on a texture for the wheels and in the preview window it looked fine but when i loaded it into the game to race the car the texture on the wheels had been enlarged or something and it only had the top half of the texture.
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

heres

a good site for semis, has about everyone ever made

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: Buzz ]
MetalliBasher
pedestrian

Post by MetalliBasher »

Thanks. Those will definitely be useful. Also, I was thinking about doing a '70s mini cooper with heaps of stuff like spikes on it. Anybody got good pics of those? (without the spikes )

BTW does anybody know what happened with my little texturing problem? How can i fix this?

[ September 13, 2002: Message edited by: MetalliBasher ]
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

i MADE one...

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hell, everybody makes minis, and Econo's got it down to an art form. Howzabout a FordChevAmChrysWagen?

If your textures seem a bit stretched when you apply them, part of it's just CarEd, the other part is mebbe you initially made it too small.

I use parts of photos when I texture my cars and I always take a look at the piece I cut out and see what the original size is, then I resize it to the closest power of 2 to the original size. that way Thigs aren't stretched out before ya even apply it.

It also helps when making a wheel to make the wheel center (where the lug nuts and any spokes or whatever go) separately and then the outer rim edge separately and then the tire sidewalls separately and finally the tread part of the tire. You can cut an existing wheel up that way- just cut out all the points for stuff ya don't wanna see and export what's left as "wheelrim.obj" or similar. Then undo so it all comes back and cut out the rim and split the tire up and export what ya wanna keep and then just import those parts into your car and texture them separately- No more stretched textures 'cause you're not trying to make one texture cover an entire wheel.

Just group the three or four wheel components and call the group "FLWHEEL" and repeat this for each of your car's wheels.

This makes all those separate wheel parts act like one part but use different textures.

I had a similar problem once and it turned out that I had forgotten to finish modeling the back surfaces of the wheels and C2 would apply the texture screwy 'cause part of the wheel had no vertices or faces.

Sometimes ya just get a whacky model and ya have to remake 'em. something could've gotten corrupted in the compilation process or something. That's happened to me too.

But cut 'em up and skin 'em separately-looks much better I think.

[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: Deep_Blue ]
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
MetalliBasher
pedestrian

Post by MetalliBasher »

Thanks DB i'll try that. Cool mini econo. very nice. I will not do a mini, i have just had a brilliant idea. I shall model a Fiat 500 (aka Fiat bambino). But first I am gonna do a vw kombi (the hippie vans) because they are a fairly simple shape.
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

and here is the posterchild for 3ds Max... far better then CarEd, and a hell of alot more powerful. It allows you to actually setup real skins which are compatible with C2 and tdr, as well as other games and stuff... and is alot more then just a game making program...

Another program that I should mention is Zmodeler. That is what ADR uses, he definitely has quite a bit of success doing it as well, but I also think he uses Max to do some of his renderings.... quite a good show there dude...

If I am correct though, Plaything2 isn't really set up to make geometry, it is more setup to setup cars for the game.... The last one I saw didn't have much of any way to make stuff, but was quite usefull, if not very powerful in conversions of 3ds files that I used from Max, converted using BeMax. I also remember ADR saying something about using 3ds files in BeMax.

Personally though, Max is very expensive, Zmodeler and CarEd are free. Though Zmodeler is more powerful of the two.

Any of the programs will give you a good sense of 3d modeling, which is what it is all about. However Max, more then the others will lead you further down the road.
MetalliBasher
pedestrian

Post by MetalliBasher »

I have seen the screenies of Max in action on LoD in ur tutorials. Looks very good. One question about the programs u mentioned. How much do they cost? I am a tightass, you see and wanna fork out little or no cash if possible. I don't have tdr, just 1 & 2 but i think c2 is surviving very well. But anyway, $$$$?? How much $$$?
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

Beroc-Lord of Destruction:

Personally though, Max is very expensive, Zmodeler and CarEd are free. Though Zmodeler is more powerful of the two.

Check who’s online