Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

DD RAW Mod

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD RAW Mod

Post by Razor »

I have all the DD games, but DDRAW is my favorite.

Here are the loading screens of all of the tracks (and destruction bowls):

https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk/hosted_images/TRACKS/

Cyclone, Four, Dragonfly 1 & 2, Avalance 1 & 2, Looops of Fury 1, Up 'n' Over 1, Slammer and Sidewinder are good tracks

I've already started Slammer in Sketchup.

I've already created menu images for all of the cars, the car images are screenshots from DDRAW, like this:

I still haven't created simple models for any of the cars, so I must do that.

Anyway enough chatter, here are some more shots:

I might have to make up some opponent name and numbers because DDRAW only has 19 opponents (20 including the players car).
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Re: DD RAW Mod

Post by Razor »

First time I've got a map in game, it's Sidewinder from DDRAW.

Been working on it all day, just got it in game but there are loads of black textures.

I think I know why, Sketchup exported millions of .TIF's when I exported to .3ds, it did a new texture for each one i'd mapped in Sketchup.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey that looks real good Razor! Yes sketchup can be nasty when it comes to material exporting. I think having a maximum of 8 characters long for each texture should allready help in the export, and also be sure to check the material names in sketchup, not the texture name only.

Keep it up man! I just remembered I still need to finish my dd2 car eh? :smile:

Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Holy French Connection United Kingdom!

This DD Raw pack looks amazing!

I hope the finished product will be as good as the screenshots show them!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

:tongue:

All interiors and engines are the same.

Working on Raven model now, so I can get Wet N Wild and Bezerkoid done, then I must do simple model's for every car, then tweak that wheelrim texture to match the original game more, then some other tweaks in the .txt files as the cars' turning circles are a tad tight.

I want to make them as close to the original game as possible (not as crap handling though).

Then back onto maps.

Oh one strange thing, the Sidewinder map was exactly to scale without rescaling it in PT2..

PUSHING THIS BACK ON TOPIC SLIGHTLY (caps lock goes mad):

Another Edit:

Just finished Wet N Wild's Raven, here's a comparison shot of the rear end; between C2 (CarEd) [Right] and DDRAW [Left]:

A few differences at the moment.

coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Screen Shots

Post by coffeycup »

Hey, that track looks really nice. Wow.

It looks maybe ever so a little small, from what I can see of the car?

I take it the black areas in the middle are missing textures? Or are the polys not flipped the right direction?

I see the back of a lot of textures, are you making them 2 sided? I only use that when I really need to like fences and windows.

I don't know if you need to bother with the back of the outer billboards really.

2 sided uses more processing, like using lots of transparent stuff does.

Anyways, cool map. Can't wait to try it.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

The black parts are the repeated textures I PM'd you about all of the blue and red billboards are supposed to be double sided, nothing else is.

Here's the map in the DDRAW loading screen:

Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Dragonfly:

And here's a video of a lap around the track, the track isn't finished yet, still a lot of texturing to do and more detail to be added.

Click here >>>>> Image

I also noticed when testing that the main open area after the start/finish ramp is too small as the car overshot off of the ramp.

I'll get a video and some screenshots of a lap around the track on DDRAW and compare it with my version.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

heh heh. That's cool. Ya, I would scale it up half again (1.5) or even double.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

IMO the proportions are a bit wrong, i remembered the area after the ramp was a tad longer..also perhaps the gravity in C2 is less then in DDRaw..
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Yes it's alot less but the ramp is tilted up too much and it's too high, that's the problem, i've shortened the ramp a tad.

That last test i had 10 textures, now i'm up to 93, I'm gonna have to do something with the barriers on the gradient curves, cause it's got alot of extra unecessary textures, anyway.

Click Here >>> Image
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Razor, I am impressed. The track looks good, even with some shading in the textures? I like the cars too, as they are simple but uniform in their detail level. I think when you give the track enough attention, and finish it in this style it can be really cool. Also for multiplayer purposes. Are you planning on making some of the arena maps?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

The shading looks funky because it hasn't been preprocessed. It usually looks a lot better because it adds the light and shadow too.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

@Harm: I wasn't planning on it but I will be planning on it now.

@Coffey: It hasn't been preprocessed, all I did in PT2 was make the barriers 2sided and save the track as a .SDF file.
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

just to ask , in that lap of the dd raw dragonfly track video were you playing the track reversed because on the game you start on the ramp?
running people over.. so many peds so little time...
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya, only when you're done pacing noncars do you preprocess it for peds and lighting. It's the last step.

I wasn't criticizing, just pointing out you're probably not done.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

[image]https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk/hosted_images/df12.png" border="0[/image]

I can't test the track properly until everything is finished.

@Coffey: I'm far from done, I'm still getting familiar with PT2 and learning what needs to be done to get the best results for the track.

EDIT: One thing I was going to ask; is it possible to make the starting grid go around a corner like on that image or will it always be in a straight line? If that makes sense.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

You know, this track and the cars would work really damn well in Carma 1 as Carma 1 just kinda feels more like DDRAW than C2 but anyways keep this up!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

True, it has a more gritty look too it, I guess that's why I always loved the DD series (not so much Arenas, that's cartoonish) because it was so gritty and dirty looking.

Anyway, next I'll probably make Carpark 'cause that'll be an easy map.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Starting grid is always a straight line :sad:

I know it sucks. Especially if you want to have a ton of opponents you need a straight long section to accomodate them.

Wait, I just thought of a way

When you specify explicit opponents they spawn at the multiplayer spawn positions.

So you could specify explicit opponents for the map.

Put in a multiplayer start point for each of them.

Position each one where you want it around the curve and angle it so it points the right direction.

That might work, at least for all the AI opponents.

You'd still get randomly dropped in the standard grid.

And you'd always race the same cars.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Hey I never thought of that, it's a pretty good idea, that way I could set up every opponent in the position they would be on DDRAW, only thing for me to do is to learn how to do it. :tongue:

EDIT: The map is up to 9000 tri's at the moment and I got the texture amount down to 84.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Only a bit more work to do.. Change some textures and add some more detail, before I start the part I'm not familiar with

Click Here >> Image
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

thats looking great razor, just like the game version :supercrazy:
running people over.. so many peds so little time...
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

your doing a brilliant job razor cant wait to play this mod. by the way is the tiffs gonna be with the cars for reskinning
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

@Timmy: Doubtful, I'll probably TWT all the cars up before releasing them, likewise with the maps.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Oh, don't TWT them up. I makes it a pain for those of us who want to reskin anything.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Gotcha, I might add a seperate folder with .OBJ files from the cars and the .PSD's that I saved of the textures for much easier editing.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Or maybe a seperate 'templates.zip'? Those PSDs can be huge sommetimes. Just a thought.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Yeah, will do. I'll sort all of this out after everything else is done though. :thumbsup:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha, ya that would be the last on the list of stuff to do.

You must be pretty close though. Just paperwork?

You prolly don't have moving parts or animated textures, so no worries about funks/grooves

So then Horizon/sky and Starting grid with Opponent paths and I guess a Map

Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Yeah, almost there, just got to fix a few textures on the map and get rid of some overlaying faces; then it should be ready for the difficult bit.

Oh, no animated textures.

I've decided the order I'll do the maps in.

I'm doing Dragonfly now.

Next will be Carpark, then Four, then Cyclone, then Avalance 1.

I probably wont continue with Sidewinder, I don't want to go back and retexture it.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Well, the map is completely textured now, got it down to 62 textures.

Click Here >>> Image

I just recorded this and forgot to make some of the textures 2 sided, just gone back and fixed that problem, now onto the part I'm unfamiliar with.

It should be too difficult, the grid set up looks pretty straight forward (unless I do decide to do explicit opponents), setting up horizon pix seems fairly simple, gonna' have to figure out the map for the mini map and big map view.

Once all is done and checked countless times then I'll preprocess the track.

EDIT: Apologies if the video destroys your speakers, I was listening to the DDRAW soundtrack pretty loud..

Another EDIT: I'm guessing this:

"1 // Number of MULTIPLAYER START POINTS

4.5 , 0.5 , 9.3 // #1 , Start point coordinates

180 // , Starting angle"

would be for explicit opponents?

Just set up the coords and direction the car starts in, then list the explicit opponents in order inside RACES.txt?

Another EDIT:

Added Horizon PIX, I tried to make it as close to DDRAW's as possible, with destroyed buildings int he horizon, I've added fog too, gonna have to change the colour of it though.

Yet another EDIT:

Got the map pix done, I'm messing around with the horizon pix a bit more at the moment:

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yes on the Multiplayer start points

Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Thanks alot for making a new thread Coffey.

I'm just working on opponent paths right now, I was thinking on a few things to do with opponent paths, I've opened the .dat file for the map in CarEd and will be writing down the coords for the nodes onto a piece of paper, then set it all up once I've got them all.

A few questions:

1. Is there an easier way of working out opponent paths? (even though this way isn't too difficult)

2. About explicit opponents: As you know, once a race starts all of the opposing vehicles rush to the first node (node 0). If I make the explicit opponents go around a corner, once the race begins will the opponents on that corner will turn left straight into a wall? Or would they follow the remaining nodes that were placed around the corner until they get to node 0?

Here's an image to explain what I mean:

https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk/hosted_images/DF_MAP.jpg
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

1. I'm not sure how many path points you're aiming for, so it depends. For the coordinate hunting part, you could create something like a 74-sided polygon (for example), then pass it into PT2 and use the "save noncar textfile"-option, which would generate a list of vertices. From that, you could at least extract the precise coordinates and perhaps save yourself from some top/side/front viewport squinting & hunting. Maybe... I'm not entirely sure if it works just like that. :smile:

Of course, if you're thinking of only a handful of points, maybe it's not worth the hassle.

For hundreds of points, I was using the opponent path generating option in the SCP.exe-program Dan wrote. (which is normally used for the noncar placement stuff) It takes objects named in a certain manner, generates the paths, junction points, and opponent "speed limits", and finally outputs a textfile with complete path stuff. There had to be an object (simple triangle) placed at each path node, but since I was working in Max, I was able to automate a lot of their placement by using appropriate placement tools: for example, I could simply make Max place the nodes along the same curved lines I used for the road generation, which saved a lot of work. Also, it automatically took care of increasing the four-digit number in the marker names.

This works without Max too, but you would have to manually create, place, and rename the node marker triangles.

Check who’s online