Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

TDR Blast from the past

All things Carmageddon TDR2000 related - hey, it's got multiplayer.
Hellspawn73
speed freak

TDR Blast from the past

Post by Hellspawn73 »

question for ya guys...not sure if anyone really remembers the release of TDR. I was always wonderin when I bought my US game if their were actually two different intro movies made. I remember leading up to the release their were these promos shots of the movie of these sinister vehicles racing through a tunnel:

...and my game instead had this apocalyptic tale of the worlds demise which then lead to the eagle being chased by the cops from police state....

...was wonderin if the above pics were scrapped from an original release concept or if there were two released movies :confused:

...while we're at this flash back does anyone remember any of the cars that didn't make it to production...I know one was "The Monster" driven by Frakenstein from Death Race 2000 but got scrapped do to licensing issues but I also rembere seein preivew pics of sumthin that looked like the ZZ Top coupe on a monster truck chassis which I also think got scrapped for similar reasons. Just curious if anyone has any pics or now what happened to these "lost" items. Not necessarily hoping for them to be revived like the community did with the original C2 but more or less was jus wanting to satisfy my curiosity.

L8rz
Noodlez
road raged psycho

Re: TDR Blast from the past

Post by Noodlez »

Hmz you know I can't recall 100% but I hink both UK and US movies was the same, I have both version I would check but I am in the mid of stipping my comp and sending my motherboard off for a rma in the morning :sad:

PS bah PHP doesn't work in msg's
Boose
turbo bastard

Post by Boose »

As far as _I_ remember, that ZZ Monster was just a test, they've built it on a fast hand (i remember one of developers saying that) just to test the tracks and such, "work in production" model, as well as the first Eagle for TDR. But i think that one was scrapped due to crappy look.

I am actualy trying to recollect all the early TDR alpha screenshots for history archives... but i can hardly find any. Also, Interplay had some bad-ass renders of C1 cars, but when they've redesigned their site they got rid of 'em. that sucks...
ImageImage
Beer galore!
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

hmm, i think the other move picks where the preliminary movie, but sience they got some problems whit the licensen (about car, chassys or whatever it was) they had to make a new one (sience the first one woudnt be corect, cuz there is several cars, that dosnt exist in the game)

BTW, hellspawn check you email, ive sent a little problem car to you (if ya can take a look at it)
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

...ya mean like these POS Ole' Drunken One?!??:grin: :

[image]http://www.gamezone.com/cgi-bin/bandwid ... 3_PC_1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.gamezone.com/cgi-bin/bandwid ... 3_PC_3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.gamezone.com/cgi-bin/bandwid ... 3_PC_2.jpg[/image]

...and actually I just asked ADR about the old banner from DTD and was gonna pester beast for that C1 rendering of Towmeister that they use to have on the banner and of any others he might have....I have the link for all of CWR's renderings for C2 but if anyone can hunt down the C1 renders that would be way way kewl and much appreciated.

(yeah Boose...she'll be for both games :cool:)
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

Post by Takeshi666 »

If I recall correctly, those are actually C2 promo shots, not TDR.
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

nope these are TDR...not C2
Aaron
turbo bastard

Post by Aaron »

Yeah!- I remember the old tdr eagle- it was kind of pink, and round, and all-around shitty looking.(back when carmageddon.com was up) and it just showed the eagle doing burnouts in some grassy place w/ water and a shark. The bad thing is- i seem to remember those shots featuring early bump-mapping and real-time reflections. (why were these features scrapped??!!)
What's Carmageddon?
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

CADster
turbo bastard

Post by CADster »

damn .. those are some cool shots !!!!!

working traffic lights ... drool

real reflections ... fucking DROOOL !!!!!

(why were these features scrapped??!!)
i would guess it was becasue DirectX did not support these features untill the Xbox came out (fucking microsoft)
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

That's a riot Da...thanks!! But actually I was more so quetioning about the C1 renders (which good ol'e Beastie said he'd do some browsin in the depths of his stash for me), and about the different movies..hopin to get some more shots and angles to possibly create some new lost cars back to life.

Now since I am more of the sales man than the old man here is(SPAZster for those of you who do not realized he has been officially been declared a senior citizen today)....DA has brought up the perfect opprotunity for me to plug LoD and one of our tutorial guides. For those of you who haven't scoped it yet CAD put some hardwork into undoing that which SCI robbed from TORUS....a clearer none headache game...yes I have to admitt...last week I finally conceded to CAD that C3 has a better graphics engine...using his guide I have a new appreciation for the game and actually play it now....I swear to god its a new game for me...and its still being played on my whimpy as pos computer I bought 2 yrs ago and it runs fine for me. I urge all of you to check this out TDR Tweaking Guide it really changed everything for me. Here's an alpha demo screen shot that DA provided for usTDR beta shot...and here is a shot of the clarity SPAZ achieved with his tinkeringCAD's TDR tweaked....now if we could only get more people interested in cracking more of this game we can extend more life into this community...maybe even migrate C2 into C3...jus imagine being able to set off a nuke in Beaver City!!! :cool:
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

it isnt the alpha demo :tongue: those shots are way before the demo :smile:
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

Damn nit pickers :mad:

:lol:

:tongue:
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

Yeah, when the tweak guide came out I couldn't believe how much TDR changed visually. It makes you wonder why the hell these features weren't explained in the game's readme at least.

I'd still like to see Torus or SCi or whoever to release the game source code so more shit can be tweaked. I don't know.
Aaron
turbo bastard

Post by Aaron »

Whoah! i've never seen those shots before-that's awesome!- I the ones i remember i dont even think they had peds yet- just the pinky-eagle and partical effects- with the shark in some of the shots. TDR would look SO much better like that though. :crazy:
What's Carmageddon?
CADster
turbo bastard

Post by CADster »

you have to remember when TDR came out the top-of-the-line cards where only 16 megs and voodoo(doo) dominated the game card scene. using the advanced features during that time would of coused a lot of tech support headaches.. so it was dropped. Its all about money boys and girls.

Today we have far more horsepower in our PCs and im just happy these advanced features were not 'broke' but were kept in the game (it makes me wonder how many additional features were left in).

now about tracks for TDR ... try this on for size-

if we could make our own tracks for TDR we could make an airport level (like that one in c2). this airport level could have the flying planes, the moving drones and lots of additional things C2 cant (like a airport at night). a steptruck could be made as a drone and given a path, then you would have a moving ramp. the plane drones will not blow up (i dont think), and TDR cars do not damage as good/cool as c2 cars, but aside from these things the level would look better, be more detailed and have moving ramps ... thats just cool.

so will the c2 community help the TDR community ????
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Originally posted by Cadster

lots of additional things C2 cant (like a airport at night).
Actually that's possible in c2, its easier to do straight onto a new track, but it's still possible
random_monkey
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

...ok....well I'll take the intial answer as being a resounding "NO"...what my simple spoken collegue here was trying to say by "nite" at an airport was the lighting effects that can be utilized in c3 that c2 is incapable of reproducing....such as the slums where you have lighting effects coming down from the street lights and neon signs...the highway tunnels have darker illumination...."nite"....not as in c2 changin sky texture and using the fogging effect of none which looks lame as shit and drops your draw distance and creates popups....no...he meant true nite time lighting.

My fellow SPAZstic friend was also refering to actuating lifting pivotal bridges that are done on the C3 docks track....true c2 can actuate lifting bridges but not pivotal that it turns a bridge into ramps that could be used to jump at planes that are taking off.

...and how many times do I have to keep stressing about being able to use NUKES?!?!!? :mad: being able to race around an airport and nukin drones at nite...now that's the shit baby :cool:
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Oh, lights

it's not just the textures, sky and fog that you would change though - there's also some stuff in the text file...

but cheers for clearing that one up :smile:
random_monkey
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

...for those of you who remember what I was searching for it was early renderings from c1 amd info on the c3 movie...well i got some info on the movie at the beginning with sad to say not much detail on that movie actually existing somewhere or additional movie shots...and I did mention that Beastie would help me out and search his archives...and thanks to Beast here is one of the pics I was searching for:

...if anyone knows of any additional renderings please let me know...and thanks again ole' chum!!! :cool:
Powdered Toast MAAAN!!
12 Cyl Symphony

Post by Powdered Toast MAAAN!! »

And while I was digging around the archives I found this neat pic! Anyone who has TDR should recognise it!

Hope alla that helps some Spawny!
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

ya know, i've been trying to find another copy of the shark for fuggin ages.
Boose
turbo bastard

Post by Boose »

I was hunting after those renders for a long time now as well... Good to see them again! Anyone has others?
ImageImage
Beer galore!
M®. £üñ¢hßØx
WetDogx2

Post by M®. £üñ¢hßØx »

Originally posted by PTM:

Jesus, that's not actually real, is it?
HAHA OMG I NEVR KNO WUT 2 PUT IN THIS THINGS!!11 LOLZ!111 OMG FUXXORZ IM BAD AT HTIS
-[ Raven-X ]-
kill boss

Post by -[ Raven-X ]- »

Still, no one has ever thanked me for Jaws beeing in the game =)

I found that exact piccy, and Beasy made sure Torus smacked it in the game.
- Straight From My Realm Of My Underground Madness!! -
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

Thanks everyone!!!

...and of course specail thanks to you Rave (p.s. .....ya know ya never got the thanks because no one still wishes to recognize c3 as a viable game....that might have a tid bit to do with the unappreciation...but I say that's a cool accomplishment that you and Beasty were able to do by getting a car in game...although I question how true it is...since knowing Beasty Jaws would have had a DTD plate knowing the manipulative salesman in him!! :grin:).
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

"Still, no one has ever thanked me for Jaws beeing in the game =)"

And yet, you still bitch about TDR nonstop.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

PTM, I've had those pictures on my wall for months now. (Screwie, Val Hella, APC, Pitbull, Ed Hunter, Juicy Jones) They were in Carmageddon.com, if I remember correctly.
Beast
The Man

Post by Beast »

Shhh! Spawny, dont let everyone know about my l33t salesmen skills. But yeah, Ravey found the pic, and as I was talking to some people from torus at the time, I got them to shove it in there.

*brag* But you do know that my face is in TDR right? */brag* Do some searching. :smile:

B
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

I thought King Kong looked familiar
Boose
turbo bastard

Post by Boose »

hehehe
ImageImage
Beer galore!
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

those ol C1 picks, sure bring out some good ol happy memories, for the diehard carma fan (if you offcorse playd carma 1, other wise it can be difficoult)...
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."
CADster
turbo bastard

Post by CADster »

*brag* But you do know that my face is in TDR right? */brag* Do some searching.

so your the guy who is always shoving his ass in my cars face ????

Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

*SMACK* *SMACK* -takes pill bottle from CAD- ...the Blue ones are the bad ones!!! BAD CAD!!! BAD BAD CAD!! :mad:
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

what are the other colors then...

Check who’s online