Carmageddon 2 on Vista

Discussing, modding and troubleshooting the greatest unfinished sequel ever!
SNDR1384
pedestrian

Carmageddon 2 on Vista

Post by SNDR1384 »

Hi all,

I've been searching this forum far and wide but can't get my copy of Carmageddon 2 to work on my vista machine.
I have the original UK cd Version but i can't get it to work!

- Tried different Patches
- Works in Direct3D (With no sound)
- Tried different glide wrappers
- Installed GOG version 2.xxx but no futher succes

Current error status: Brende error detected. Failure Unable to allocate Main Front Screen

My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00 Ghz
Ram 2039
Windows Vista 32 bit
Intel 8945G Express Chipset Family
Direct X10

Im building a retro pc with reto games and carmageddon is the one I want most!
Who has the answer?

(And now I have found this forum, I'll stick around and see what kind of modding I can do!)
Toshiba-3
アルカリ (単3形)

Re: Carmageddon 2 on Vista

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello there,

Yes, that error message means the game can't initialize the rendering.
You mention D3D mode working but without sound. I take it you're using the launcher (carma2.exe)? If so, try the following: create a .BAT file and make it run "CARMA2_HW.EXE -D3D" to run C2 directly into Direct3D mode without using the launcher.

As for glide wrappers, it really is the best way to play the game but I imagine your GFX chipset might not be supported. If you tried the last nGlide, zeckensack's, dgVoodoo 1 & 2, psvoodoo, then D3D is your only option. If you get D3D working properly, there are D3D wrappers (dgVoodoo 2 for example) to tweak things.

BTW, you only need the GOG/Steam releases, or apply the V3 patch on a fresh install. To be sure while testing stuff, I suggest you remove winmm.dll and wsock32.dll.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
hazardic
motorised death

Re: Carmageddon 2 on Vista

Post by hazardic »

i played it on vista once i had alienware r17r. it works fine for me with wrappers