Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

?how to convert c1 cars to c2?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

?how to convert c1 cars to c2?

Post by kelctic_findings »

alright i have heard of people converting c1 cars to c2 i guess, but how is the qeustion. if whoever knows how to do this could you tell me how or if there are any tutorials, could i get the location? and when i say converting them i mean screwing with files and changing them and stuff like that, not just makein a new car in cared.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: ?how to convert c1 cars to c2?

Post by Deep_Blue »

You open the C1 car's DAT file in CarEd is one way-and you chop the simple model up into components and make the ones you don't have-like everything but the shell shape.

Then you skin it either using the C1 BMPs converted to TIFs and resized or by making your own textures.

Then let CarEd compile your car for C2.

Actually, I think making C2 cars for C1 is more fun. :wink:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

there's an even easier way if you don't plan on changing the original model. you don't even have to do any work on the model itself. here's how...

copy the files:

<carname>.act from the c1 ACTORS folder

<carname>.dat from the c1 MODELS folder

<carname>.mat from the c1 MATERIAL folder

drrender.tab from the c1 shadetab folder

and paste them into a new folder with <carname> as the title in c2's cars directory...also make a tiffrgb folder within that <carname> folder.

then open <carname>.pix from the PIXELMAP folder and convert the textures into truecolor .tif format and save them in the tiffrgb folder

then make a txt and wam file for it by modifying existing ones from a c2 car.

that's all.

That is literally all you have to do. if that sounds too hard, then....for shame?!!!!
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

Post by kelctic_findings »

wow this sounds a lot easier than i thought it would i will have to try these conversions out. thanx guys
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Im sorry to dig up this old topic, but when i try to convert a car over to C2 from C1 the model + textures are there when i set the car up with Pt2 (without that its a white non skinned body) but then the wheels stay in the middle as when i open the DAT file in Pt2 of it, its all centered (but ofcourse its an ancient c1 model) is there a way to fix that? i mean, those converted models that are on wasted are all good. and no this isnt been converted over yet :smile:
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

Yeah, I'm wondering that too... Alto before, since I just took the car from C1 and put them in CarEd I didn't had the wheels and sometimes some other parts. Now, I always have the wheels in the middle. When I tried to import the Grunge Buster, it even had the "suspension" in the middle! Maybe Econobrick know how to solve this...
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

the only thing I could suggest is to open the car in pt2 and find out what the normal wheel / suspension co-ords are.

One way to get the exact points is to do the "setup car" thing (under tools->carma2) when you do this, highlight the main component, and look at the 'data' tab. under car->mechanics data->root part, there's an entry for "wheels". the positions for each wheel should be shown here. if they're not, highlight a wheel, go back to the data tab and click on 'position' for a wheel. this should bring up a box...hit "selected object centre" and hit the X. This will tell you the dead center position of any selected object (doesn't have to be wheels either).

then, highlight the wheel or whatever, and hit ctrl+r...this will reset it back to the center of the axis. now go to object->rename, click 'based on: model identifier' and uncheck the 'actors' box, and enter a .dat name that is the same as the actor name...so it would be like RRWHEEL.DAT or whatever. I'm not gonna bother explaining why you have to do that, but you do. :tongue: then hit ok. then go to object->modify model->modify geometery. under 'translation', use the XYZ points you got for the wheel earlier and enter them here.

repeat for each wheel or suspension part or whatever...this will make it so when you open the car in CarEd, the missing parts will not only show up but also be where they're supposed to.

Sure, it's alot of messing around, but it works.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Oh, i forgot to tell im making the car to go in C2, not cared, will this do it too? well im gonna try out anyway, so ill post it there after if a manage to do it!

Thanks anyway this helps alot!

Ok here goes after hundredmultiple tries: Im opening the ACT file in PT2, then im getting the points coordinates, select the rrwheel.act, then rename it to rrwheel.dat and uncheck the actor and put it on model identifier im doing that for every wheel ofcourse, this car gots no suspension btw.

Then when i go ingame the car has just one wheel at it, its the wheel i renamed for the last...

Then when i go retrying everything with unedited files again, and doing the coordinates right after renaming them, all in the opened ACT file, it doesnt work neither.

Then when renaming those wheels, then opening the DAT file gives me all the wheels with the renamed names..but there be RRWHEEL, RRWHEEL and FRWHEEL, FRWHEEL (<-now if that could be FR and FL i could do it from there positioning them heh...but i cant) is there a way to solve this? i really like some SP cars converted :wink: :grin: without doing to many work hehe...
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

I have a party to go to in two hours so I'll make it quick.

1.Backup all your files just in case.

2.Put all your files just as Econobrick said.

3.Import your carname.DAT file in PT2.

4.If the whole car looks right go to File / Save as "carname.sdf".

5.Then restart PT2 and open the "carname.sdf"

Wheels MAY be right then.

OR in place of step 4, Go File/SaveAs "test.sdf" and rename the sdf file to (yourcarname).SDF and open that one.

I could test this out but I dont have time today to dig out the origional carmageddon CD.

Hope it works.

TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Well, that doesnt seem to work neither :crazy:
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

I cant understand how come it didnt work.

I downloaded someones car from the internet and put the files in the same directory, opened up the

DAT file in PT2 and this is how it came out.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

yeah, but that's one of DB's cars isn't it? which was made in CarEd...if you open any of the original cars (or even the few crappy ones i did :P) the wheels won't be where they're supposed to.

Check who’s online