Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

THQ Nordic buys the Carmageddon IP

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

THQ Nordic buys the Carmageddon IP

Post by Toshiba-3 »

:crazy:

https://thqnordic.com/article/carpocaly ... less-games

From nobby to Trent:
With the entire IP signed over, we no longer have any involvement in the development of anything in the Carma-sphere. Obviously due to the nature of this sort of thing I couldn’t give anyone a heads-up before the deal was announced. It’s possible that whoever takes over the role at THQ could be contacted with a view to you continuing to work on the past titles, but with this handover, that’s all entirely between you and THQ Nordic from now on.

I want to thank you guys for your dedication to the game and everything you’ve done to keep adding to and improving it.
I think it's safe to say that backers rewards are in the hands of THQ now?
A new sequel is quasi-certain. Seems like Stainless won't be the ones working on it, unlike Bugbear and their Wreckfest.

We had noticed several employees leaving the company but apparently Stainless are down to 40ish people.

Not a happy day.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Tags:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: THQ Nordic buys the Carmageddon IP

Post by Toshiba-3 »

From http://www.stainlessgames.com

“This deal allows Carmageddon to find the home that it deserves”, declared Patrick Buckland, Executive Chairman and Founder of Stainless. “As an independent developer we have invested a huge amount of time and money into the brand since reacquiring it in 2012, but we have never had the resources to maximise its exploitation. It is our intention to work with THQ Nordic moving forwards, allowing Carmageddon to find its rightful place in the video games pantheon.”

“Carmageddon finally crashed its way into our portfolio. Some pedestrians and a couple of members of the Bovinae subfamily might have (virtually) been killed in the process” added Jan Binsmaier, Publishing Director at THQ Nordic. “With over twenty years of franchise history, and yes, I feel a little older just saying this, and such a passionate and dedicated fan-base worldwide, we are confident we hit the right target.”

Buckland added “This is the start of a new chapter in the story of one of the world’s most anarchic game brands”. Binsmaier concluded by observing that “We are proud of every single addition to the franchise catalogue, so it goes without saying that this is the case here, too”.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Carma.com forums still available at this address: http://web1.carmageddon.com/forum
No idea if it's just a backup mirror or what.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Not a happy day.
*Sigh* so true

I wonder where Carmageddon will go from here. Still slightly optimistic that this might also be a good move somehow, seeing the link between wreckfest and carma. At least there is something happening...
3dwizard
mechanic

Post by 3dwizard »

Is this forum the HQ for anything carmageddon now that the whole carmageddon.com site has been wiped down?
Any thq nordic forums where we can create a carmageddon topic?
It's not very pleasant when you go visit a site and you find it suddenly wiped.
I mean, I already knew Stainless bit the dust since 2 years now but they should have at least bothered to notify all of us to back up some of the links for mods and tutorials before they took it down.
Surely with internet archive we could at least view the topics and links I think, but this is lacking of any respect towards that community that even though it did die there, some of us might have still cared about the mods.
There are some car mods there that Alex released that I never got to download and test, as well as FatCat's mods...
Where do we as core fans gather now?

My honest opinion after going through the whole debacle of CR:Reincarnation, CR:Max Damage and Carmageddon Crashers is they didn't just lack the funds to make the frachise shine again but they also lacked skill and coordination big time.
They said they will listen to the fans but they just didn't for the most part.
I've seen many change suggestions done by others as well as by myself, both on their forums and during their live streams on twitch and mostly nothing changed even though they kept saying they would.
It all felt like they couldn't control what the devs were doing no matter ho much they asked of them.
It also felt that their devs had no real clue as to what made Carmageddon 1 special nor how to do a proper remake that kept the feel and sounds of the old one but enhance the visuals.
They just simply not have what it takes to make a new one that was as good as the old ones.
I strongly believe they would have failed even if they would have had the proper funds for it.
So the fact that they have sold the ip is the only good thing they could have done for this franchise in my opinion.
As for which dev studio will be given the chance to develop a new carmageddon game, I really have no ideea.
I admit I don't know too much about how thq nordic operates and which dev studios does it own, maybe somebody else does.
I need to do some more reading on this matter.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

CWA and the chat have always been the HQ of carmaheads. It stood the test of time and is still here to stay. :ssmile:

Carma.com has not been wiped, or at least not yet: Stainless explained they transfered DNS to THQ Nordic. Chances are they'll just restore it once the transfer is done. If anything, Trent already contacted THQ Nordic and is getting in touch with the right people. Wiki is up, actual site and forum content is still there.

For the moment, all we can do is wait and see.

A word for you in particular: this is the first and last post of this kind from you. You spammed carma.com with these useless pessimistic/prophetic rants, we won't have any of it here. To help you with that, I removed edit/delete permissions for your account. So just make sure you're done with your post before submitting it, and yeah leave the negative rants at the door.

Another message from nobby to Trent:
Everything’s good, thanks. But these days I do make a point of not stressing overly about what life slings our way, which certainly helps. :)

Your analysis of the Carma experience is… admirably succinct. And yes, Stainless soldiers gamely on – although right now I can’t say any more about what we’re currently doing. When I can, I’ll happily natter about it more with y’all. Although WRT installing Discord… Damn, I have enough going on on my screen with email, Slack and occasional Skypage… ;)

I’ll see if there’s a contact we can get you at THQ, although our comms with them has been almost entirely at the highest level, pretty much all CEO/COO level and lawyers – so I would expect it’s likely you’d have more luck when things are settled and we all find out what they’re planning for the brand. I don’t even know if carma.com will be online (as we’re redirecting the carma site links to go straight to THQ).

Thanks again for the unstinting support, it really has been hugely appreciated. It was the best of times… And could well be again, in the future. Let’s see.

[edit] @3dwizard: I already removed your followup which was exactly what we don't want here. Such kind of rants serve no purpose at all. Try and be pragmatic instead. If you want to discuss the issue further, you can open a topic in the General subforum or come discuss it in the Discord.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Wellp, maybe some day something good could come outta that.

Also Stainless might do it like Bohemia interactive did it with Operation Flashpoint.

At some point they sold their beloved IP, to Codemasters, how fucked it up beyond recognition with Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon rising.

While Bohemia Interactive introduced new IP: ARMA. It was Operation Flashpoint, only better, modernized, more advanced.

The community knows that ARMA franch is the true OF sequel(s) and they stayed loyal to the devs instead of the IP.

They are thriving till this day. Moding, making events etc.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Just to complete the thread. Patrick Buckland on facebook:
I wasn't going to post about this, but I feel the need to as a few people have asked me if Stainless is OK. Yes, we're fine! As you may have heard, we have sold the Carmageddon franchise in its entirety to THQ Nordic. This was a bitter-sweet moment for us, as we've put so much time, money, blood, sweat, tears and other body-fluids into it since reacquiring it. But what were we going to do with it from here? I mean, seriously? We sunk a crazy amount of money into Reincarnation and Max Damage. They were great games, but didn’t get anywhere near breaking even due to dev costs and the difficulties of trying to self-publish without the marketing budget or even any sort of publishing department.

Big publishers wouldn’t touch the IP as they quite rightly want to invest in their own brands. It was turning into a dead-end for us. Then our main game-play mechanic became the terrorists’ weapon of choice!

We had an opportunity to inject funding into Stainless for our other projects by selling the IP, so we took it. Plus the story is by no means over – here’s hoping Carmageddon lives to fight another day with THQ Nordic, and that Stainless can be involved again!

Our official press release is here:
http://www.stainlessgames.com/news/thq- ... ageddon-ip
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

If anyone still want to roam carmageddon.com, you can install Resource Override (chrome extension)
And add such a rule:
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

Wow, I don't believe it :(

Thanks for the background info @toshiba, keep it coming
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1

Check who’s online