Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon Revamp Project

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Aydos
mechanic

Carmageddon Revamp Project

Post by Aydos »

Hi everyone,
I have been wanting to join for a while but haven't really gotten around to it :noob: . Since C1 is one of my favourite games and is turning 25, I was wondering what everyone was thinking or if anyone here is doing anything for it.

I am currently but have slowly over the past couple of months doing a mod of my own for this occasion which is still a WIP. I was wondering what the feedback of the Carmageddon community would be on this, and if anything needs tweaking.

Wasted! Mod Database (Download Page)

ModDB Page

Previous Versions

Screenshots & Comparisons

I would also like to say thank you to everyone here (even though this is my first post) as scouring these forums for information has been greatly helpful!

*The screenshots shown are taken with the 95RPP mod for it's high resolution and is not included in this mod.*
Last edited by Aydos on Tue May 16, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Tags:
hazardic
motorised death

Re: Carmageddon 25th Annivesary

Post by hazardic »

wow :saston: impressive hires job :twisted:
did you redraw'em from scratch! i was always dreaming about f666 hires
and cheers, the community is always welcome those who love carma :rockon:
btw i did try to make damage icons for vanilla c1 cars, taking them from fun-size carma but obviosly they are little bit out of style. i see there is intention to make a cockpits for cheats - will they be brand new or modifiers from the vanilla ones?
also i didn't get this description "Tanker Trailer Texture: Used in my Hires texture PIXPACK" - is it released or intended to be?
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

actually i have ckecked by myself. THIS IS INDEED an awesome job! :rockon:
while i was checking out the difference, i made a preview of cars for all of ya :banana:
didn't show eagle & hawk, since hires version is from Tosh and yellow hawk with hires blade but all others - here!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
I don't see a correlation for side windows of faust with the vanilla one - this dark segment, but still amazing!

for kutter there is a bonnet already done years ago
same goes for val - there is an alternate hires reskin with a bonnet so it could be like that

all of them work in glide - except Tartlet, for some reason it crashes in menu upon selection, so no screen for u :sad: . But it works fine in game (see behind OK) - i just couldn't select it for myself
Also, volkswerker blade shown buggy :crazy:
for dos extdam ico names should be shorter - here is shown that stig&kutter has no extdams at all (and tartlet should has no any also if it could be driven). val has it but that's because i shortened the filename of it - Tosh gave me idea about it. but since you gave no guarantees for glide this could be easily fixed. but for stig blade i'm not sure

and for 4 new cockpits - nice art
Image Image Image Image

well what can i say - it seems redraw was done with ai, since i see a strong resemblance with the vanilla?
So it seems that we have almost fully hires car packs now, there is also a hires for grimm, twister, gbuster, bratt, hammer so the rest are - only tashita & vlad (though there are a couple of scums vehicles but not so much to hires there)!
and the rest i didn't get still - tanka2.pix, what is for? seems this is a trailer but loading the game with this pix renamed to tanka.pix showed me no difference. Or this is for Toshiba release tanka with a trailer?
yep that is correct
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Welcome at the CWA, Aydos :beer: Really nice that it is a new member who creates the 25th anniversary topic..! And your profile picture somehow tells you're not a newbie :scool:

Haven't had time to test your mod yet but from what I can see, you're doing the lord's work! Reminds me JormaRysky had a go at it too earlier this year: https://sketchfab.com/Rysky/collections ... rymastered
Maxine also did hires Twister, CaddyFatCat, LeadPumper, Suppressor (iirc)
GrungeBuster-on-tank-tracks and Bust-Up! use the bonnet texture from Grunge Buster, not sure if they can be applied on the original model without touch up though.
Uploaded the sources for TANKA+TRAILER here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qyoc0ch5 ... ER.7z/file
It has the PSD for the trailer textures before shrinking. I prepared these textures knowing I would shrink them though so they aren't actually hires. Might still be useful to you.

How did you make those texture btw? Maybe using an AI upscale as base then touching-up manually? Did you use the rolling demo and early screenshots as ref? Cockpits look really great!

As for the 25th anniversary, I wanted to make a printable poster to celebrate C1 but haven't had enough time at all :sad: Razor prepared some stuff for Twitter.
Attachments
Maxine's rework of Twister textures
Maxine's rework of Twister textures
11098804_image2.png (268.99 KiB) Viewed 7020 times
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Very good and very faithful hires skins here, I'd also be interested to know how you went about doing this.
Well done.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:35 pm Maxine also did hires Twister, CaddyFatCat, LeadPumper, Suppressor (iirc)
and you also did PROJECTX.
cleaver was also done - HiResCleaverWhood
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Today i've tested tracks. This is nice to see animated Gasso sign, traffic lights, ped lights and 24h motel signs (or they were already active?..). amazing how that tiny detail like phone anim or gas station anim complete the perception of not static city
though i didn't notice sewers lights anim

no arrow anim - i guess they should be on numbers place. if so then they are obsolete?

no bigfin anim

i thought it should be here
so i guess they are not implemented yet?

got f666 working in glide - forgot to fix cockpit file names, it should be shorted by one letter

sadly some anims won't work in glide :sad: Gasso anim sign works fine though, only these tiny little awesomness like traffic lights, phones, gas stations
Image Image Image
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

Hello everyone, sorry for the late reply.
Thank you all for having a look at this it's awesome to be amongst all you legends!
Not sure how to respond to all of the feedback it's overwhelming, but I guess I'll start :lol:

To answer the how the textures were made, Tosh and Hazardic were spot on. I got all the textures and pre-stretched them to the appropriate sizes which would be the final resolution. These were then fed into an AI upscaler and were spat out at 4x the resolution. I then would give them a clean up in photoshop, luckily most of these could be mirrored so it halved the time. If some details were badly damaged I ended up recreating them. After that I then down sized them back to the pre-upscaled resolution and applied the correct palette, any final touch ups are done in MS paint. I went the upscale route as it still keeps the feel to the game where as doing them from scratch sort of loses that look.

Wow Hazardic, those side by sides are excellent, thank you! The cockpits I would like to make from modified vanilla C1 & SP variants, just to keep with the games aesthetic. As for the Tanker texture I was going to include the trailer mod too but I hadn't gotten around to it. I had seen the thread about bonnets awhile back, thanks for reminding me :smile: . The interiors are back burner items for now, I had made the four as I was going to complete each vehicle individually then move to the next but it is time consuming. I would like to get Glide mode fully working down the track but I guess getting bulk of the work done is the main goal.

As for the animations the sewer lights are used in all the frosty pass races, they are quite tucked away and nearly pointless, but why not. The arrows were an early idea as I thought it looked good but then I pursued the numbered route. The BIGFIN is used for the UFO in Roswell That Ends Well, the idea was for a glitching cloaking device. The issue in Glide mode I believe is a resolution difference, as most of the FLI's I have recycled and they have different resolutions. I should be able to fix most of these as I stumbled across the speed adjustment in a thread somewhere. I should be able to use the correct sized FLI's, unless there is a tool for creating new FLI's altogether.

Thanks Tosh, I have been a big carma :swheel: fan & player since I was young. Over the past few months I have been honing my skills and knowledge, I still have lots to learn though. I will definitely have a look at those textures I'm sure they'll be helpful! Yeah I did look at the rolling demo and early screenshots, its amazing how much detail you can see from low-res stuff from that long ago. I had come across Razors stuff as I made this thread, some juicy stuff there. A printable poster would be awesome I would definitely get one printed. I had been toying around with a poster for the eagle as I upscaled the early render of it and cleaned it up. Feel free to use it if you want :thumbsup:
Eagle Render Upscaled
Poster
and the one from in game.
The Eagle has landed

Thanks for the feedback Razor!

I'll try to be on here more regularly, with updates and to chat with all of you.
Thanks everyone!
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Aydos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pmI got all the textures and pre-stretched them to the appropriate sizes which would be the final resolution. These were then fed into an AI upscaler and were spat out at 4x the resolution. I then would give them a clean up in photoshop, luckily most of these could be mirrored so it halved the time. If some details were badly damaged I ended up recreating them.
your approach may help to redone whole c1&c2 stuff keeping it vanilla look at the same time! but naaah - that's just a dream..
but what could be really nice if you may redo faust side textures to be more like vanilla - currently these dark area near windows looks kinda mismatch
Aydos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pmThe cockpits I would like to make from modified vanilla C1 & SP variants, just to keep with the games aesthetic.
you do the job quite astonishing i say. keep it up :rockon:
Aydos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pmThe BIGFIN is used for the UFO in Roswell That Ends Well, the idea was for a glitching cloaking device.
just checked it out - looks fantastic. though it may look better without green drid
Aydos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pmI would like to get Glide mode fully working down the track but I guess getting bulk of the work done is the main goal.
i usually test in glide anyway so some feedback you will receive apparently
Aydos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pmAs for the animations the sewer lights are used in all the frosty pass races, they are quite tucked away and nearly pointless, but why not.
yep i was thinking about it and searched underground complex in hopes to see'em. but seems there is a specific place i didn't find
Aydos wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:33 pmThe issue in Glide mode I believe is a resolution difference
Tosh and Mastro do possess such secret regarding .pix since the latest releases from them work fine in glide. But for .fli I believe there is not the only resolution issue but alas something else because for phones and gas stations resolution is not so big

and btw thanks for replying so thoroughly to each of our questions
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

hazardic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm your approach may help to redone whole c1&c2 stuff keeping it vanilla look at the same time! but naaah - that's just a dream..
but what could be really nice if you may redo faust side textures to be more like vanilla - currently these dark area near windows looks kinda mismatch
Thank you, I could do those but I'd be old and grey by the time I'm done. Yeah I will do that, I went through a few tries on those side textures and I wasn't happy with most of the results. It's always good to have feedback on things like that :thumbsup:
hazardic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm i usually test in glide anyway so some feedback you will receive apparently
That's probably a good idea, all of the broken stuff is fixable so I guess I should start now.
hazardic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm just checked it out - looks fantastic. though it may look better without green drid
Yeah I thought a transition effect would look good, the all green grid is probably a bit out of place. I had a thought of an all chrome type of look with the use of the windscreen material, but I couldn't get it to look right :sad: .
hazardic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm Tosh and Mastro do possess such secret regarding .pix since the latest releases from them work fine in glide. But for .fli I believe there is not the only resolution issue but alas something else because for phones and gas stations resolution is not so big
I may have a way to redo this without the FLI's and with the use of the "frames" funk, as used on the Magnachem's
Acid Ocean Reprocessor levels. I've been fiddling with it in hires mode but I'll check it out in glide mode to see how well or if it works at all. If it does then it's as simple as converting the frames into PIX packs and then it's done.

Code: Select all

START OF FUNK
INDFAN01.MAT
distance
piss off
no fucking lighting bastards
frames
approximate
continuous
INDTEX29.PIX
INDTEX30.PIX
INDTEX31.PIX
NEXT FUNK
hazardic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm and btw thanks for replying so thoroughly to each of our questions
Well I'm more than happy to explain it thoroughly, you've shown a great interest in this and providing all of those comparison shots, and the feedback from yourself everyone has been great! It's the least I could do! :rockon:
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Aydos wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:06 pm Well I'm more than happy to explain it thoroughly, you've shown a great interest in this and providing all of those comparison shots, and the feedback from yourself everyone has been great! It's the least I could do! :rockon:
well i will wait for the next update inpatiently :rockon:

and btw i finally found sewers anim lights on frosty pass levels :beer: looks stunning indeed

thing is they are only by one side of the top bridge - and the other is vanilla static. so maybe i got there from the wrong side for the first place when did my tests
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

hazardic wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:03 pm well i will wait for the next update inpatiently

and btw i finally found sewers anim lights on frosty pass levels looks stunning indeed
Well I hope to have an update out this week hopefully! I have been doing some glide testing and everything seems to be going well.

Those sewer lights are quite tucked away. It is odd that only one side has these lights, but I thought they looked pretty cool as well, Thanks!
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

Hey everyone,
I am just posting an update for this mod as I have released V0.2.5.

V0.2.5

I didn't get around to posting an update for V0.2 as it was a little undercooked with some issues.

Below are the change logs and the read me's. (I didn't want to make a mile long post :lol: )

Read Me
Vehicle Change Log
Races Change Log
Checkpoint Standardisation

The main features are in the last 2 updates are:

•3DFX compatibility (Tested using GOG V 2.0.0.63)
•Converted all newly created FLI animations to PIX packs and used the "Frames Funk"
•Changed the animated FLI finish to a "Lastlap Funk" on all C1 races :eek: (See below)
•Completed the checkpoint standardisation for all C1 races (View the read me above from more info)
•Added Tosh's Razorback & Tanker with trailer vehicles
•Hires Project X (I left it out of V0.1 even though it was completed :lol: )
•Added new animations and revised some existing ones
•Fixed some issues from the vanilla game.
•Added an alternative yellow eagle as an option
•Changed the checkpoint layout of Industrial action (Original is included as an option)

Thanks to hazardic for all the feedback! :thumbsup:

I hope you all enjoy!

Last laps funk in action

Yellow Eagle
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

Looks awesome! I can't wait to try it out. :sbsmile:

Are you planning to keep it as a graphics mod, or you want to include more, like MagnaPal, Updated Engine Sounds, SplatMeld, etc? I just asking, because that's the way I mostly touch Carma today.
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

D00M wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:39 pm Looks awesome! I can't wait to try it out. :sbsmile:

Are you planning to keep it as a graphics mod, or you want to include more, like MagnaPal, Updated Engine Sounds, SplatMeld, etc? I just asking, because that's the way I mostly touch Carma today.
Thanks D00M, that great to hear!

I'm basically starting out tidying up C1 graphics and giving it some tweaks. I do plan on doing the engine sounds fix mod but still using vanilla sounds or slightly tweaked ones. I'll base it off the existing one so anyone can drop the new sounds in from the existing sound fix mod without too much hassle. Next is to do all the same work I've done with C1 to the SP, then later I'd like to make a version to work with Splatmeld or Meldpack. If not I'll make a version of my own. As for MagnaPal I'm leaving it out for now, but it's easy enough to drop in anyway.

Cheers :beer:
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

Meldpack worked fine for me on W7, but since I use W10, it keeps crashing every time I finish a race, if I wreck all the opponents. And that's a pretty huge problem, because I rarely finish a race the other way. SplatMeld however is totally fine, and works well with the latest GOG version.

Anyway, I finally tested the mod a bit. I finished the first three races. The new, updated textures looks better indeed, but I noticed some interesting things. I met the C2 Razorback, is it a replacement, or a totally new opponent? I also noticed that the recovery costs 2500 now, while the checkpoints only give me 500 credit. It seems a bit harsh, or at least on normal difficulty. The bigger problem is the rank system. I finished the Maim Street with more than 100.000 credit, and the increment was only 1. Same happened to me on Fridge Racer.

I dont mind if you increased the overall values. The game at least more challenging this way. But 100.000 credit at least worth 2 points IMHO.
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

D00M wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:25 pm Anyway, I finally tested the mod a bit. I finished the first three races. The new, updated textures looks better indeed, but I noticed some interesting things. I met the C2 Razorback, is it a replacement, or a totally new opponent? I also noticed that the recovery costs 2500 now, while the checkpoints only give me 500 credit. It seems a bit harsh, or at least on normal difficulty. The bigger problem is the rank system. I finished the Maim Street with more than 100.000 credit, and the increment was only 1. Same happened to me on Fridge Racer.

I dont mind if you increased the overall values. The game at least more challenging this way. But 100.000 credit at least worth 2 points IMHO.

:sad: I always have to forget something!

The difficulty adjustment wasn't intended, but I have reverted it back to standard now and uploaded it.
That General.TXT file I normally use in the Meldpack just to bring the ranking down a bit to not skip multiple levels at a time. I forgot to swap it out, but it should be all good now!

Razorback is a new opponent to the game using Tosh's mod with some modifications.

Thanks for checking it out and pointing out the ranking system issue :thumbsup:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello Aydos,

Great update! You can use Aseprite to make Autodesk FLI files as used by C1, awesome piece of pixelart software too, I really recommend buying it!
In my eyes, some texture reworks are stellar (albeit a bit too hires here and there for my taste), and some are much less interesting. This is still WIP so I guess you'll keep coming back on these textures, but yeah when left untouched, the AI-upscaled textures seem less pertinent to me than the original ones.

I don't understand what you mean by this:
"Trailer texture is blurry in 3DFX/Glide mode due to the 256x256 texture size limit)"
Glide will effectively use 64x64 and 256x256 textures. The API will resize everything to these sizes before rendering etc. Then it will apply texture filtering, which, well, makes everything blurry, esp. as the color depth & palette don't play nice.
Speaking of which: I noticed some of your reworked textures didn't have a multiple-of-4 width. In this format configuration, BRender pixelmaps have to be multiple of 4 (or then must be formatted differently by hand). TRixx pads these with transparent/pink columns of pixels until the width is as expected. This obviously induces an offset in mapping, but also disable Glide texture filtering (it isn't applied on textures with transparent pixels).

Your project is starting to lean toward mine, so I think my todo list might interest you. Though mine didn't really include upscaling textures. My aim is rather a perfected C1-merged-into-SP. I guess the Dethrace RE project will ease some aspects.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xo5 ... sp=sharing

Still have to spend more time on your mod but barely have any.....!
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

tested what's new
here a comparison of hammer reskin - vanilla-this pack-from gizmodo by Toshiba
it looks nice though gizmodo textures have more details anyway (e.g.rivets etc.) but still this reskin is better than vanilla one by miles away

stig now works in glide with its blade correctly (even better than in sw)

but only without new bonnet - with updated stig.txt beecause of this error stig won't load and crashes the game so i didn't saw bonnet at all. but your fix with offset of the cockpit by 2pixels is nice

tanka2 is indeed now works with glide and i don't mind any bluriness at all
especially considering that previous version was like that
the main difference in texture itself is 99/haul marks

for other things - ufo is great now a brilliant idea with glitching/blinking
traffic lights now work in glide, gas stations and phones also
rotating fans in industrial level is great so immersive and alive. sails on ships. bridge sign
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Oh right I imagine the bluriness reguarding Tanka's trailer comes from the fact the texel density is lower than the other upscaled textures. As I sent the sources, you can try having a go at upscaling it.

Be warned though that a bug apparently prevents the Glide API from resizing 512x512 textures. I mean, precisely 512x512. 516x516 would work. No idea why. So an upscaled texture would have to be anything different from that.

Another thing graphics-wise, BRender can't correct the perspective on textures that are different from exactly 64x64 and 256x256 (currently wondering if 4x4 and 1024x1024 would work, I remember Mastro testing other sizes to no avail). I imagine this might be a factor that weighed in when they decided to resize all the textures... Anyway, a difficult solution around this is to create atlases. As in, all your reworked textures fitting in 256x256 textures (minding a 1 or 2 pixel bleed distance around each texture (because of Glide filtering)), and then a custom transform matrix in each material crops that atlas to exactly where it has to seek the original pixelmap. You can check my port of Darkside for an example.
Anyway, it's really not easy to set up as the current editing tools don't support/convert material matrix info properly. Even PlayThing1...
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

Hey everyone!
Toshiba-3 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:59 am Great update! You can use Aseprite to make Autodesk FLI files as used by C1, awesome piece of pixelart software too, I really recommend buying it!
In my eyes, some texture reworks are stellar (albeit a bit too hires here and there for my taste), and some are much less interesting. This is still WIP so I guess you'll keep coming back on these textures, but yeah when left untouched, the AI-upscaled textures seem less pertinent to me than the original ones.
Thanks Tosh, I'll check out that program it looks like it would be quite a handy tool. As for the textures I do plan on revisiting them again down the track to do some fixes. As for the multiple of 4 textures I had noticed that too, but I wasn't too fazed at the time when I was just testing in regular hires mode. I didn't know about the glide/transparency filtering, so that is good to know!
Toshiba-3 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:59 am Your project is starting to lean toward mine, so I think my todo list might interest you. Though mine didn't really include upscaling textures. My aim is rather a perfected C1-merged-into-SP. I guess the Dethrace RE project will ease some aspects.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xo5 ... sp=sharing
That was a good read! I didn't know how similar they are, I haven't written a list but I just have a tonne of mental notes. Albeit yours is more in-depth than mine and I don't have the skill set do some of those dot points at all! :lol:

Thanks Haz!
I worked my butt off getting all those fixes in place for glide mode! Converting all the animations over was challenging but totally worth it.
hazardic wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:23 am stig now works in glide with its blade correctly (even better than in sw)
Agreed, it is good to have some sharpness to that blade!
hazardic wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:23 am tanka2 is indeed now works with glide and i don't mind any bluriness at all

especially considering that previous version was like that

the main difference in texture itself is 99/haul marks
Yeah I'm glad I fixed that one, I only noticed the HAUL•M when changing the selection picture.
Toshiba-3 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:04 pm Oh right I imagine the bluriness reguarding Tanka's trailer comes from the fact the texel density is lower than the other upscaled textures. As I sent the sources, you can try having a go at upscaling it.

Be warned though that a bug apparently prevents the Glide API from resizing 512x512 textures. I mean, precisely 512x512. 516x516 would work. No idea why. So an upscaled texture would have to be anything different from that.

Another thing graphics-wise, BRender can't correct the perspective on textures that are different from exactly 64x64 and 256x256 (currently wondering if 4x4 and 1024x1024 would work, I remember Mastro testing other sizes to no avail). I imagine this might be a factor that weighed in when they decided to resize all the textures... Anyway, a difficult solution around this is to create atlases. As in, all your reworked textures fitting in 256x256 textures (minding a 1 or 2 pixel bleed distance around each texture (because of Glide filtering)), and then a custom transform matrix in each material crops that atlas to exactly where it has to seek the original pixelmap. You can check my port of Darkside for an example.
Anyway, it's really not easy to set up as the current editing tools don't support/convert material matrix info properly. Even PlayThing1...
I will have a go at upscaling your source texture, although I thought the issue was to do with this below (the last bit). But as you suggested with doing atlases for the trailer would be the only fix I could think of that would work best. I did adjust it from 512x512 so it does work in glide for now.
Toshiba-3 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:57 pm Quick C1/C2 finds & facts:
I always thought C1 Glide mode couldn't handle textures larger than 256x256 or non-power-of-two sizes. Actually Glide is fine with both as long as these sizes aren't precisely 512 or 1024 (maybe 2048 and so on).

So 256x512 won't load, but 256x514 will work. You get the idea.

Go figure... Carmageddon, ladies and gentlemen...

:supermad: [EDIT] OK, I missed a huge thing: Glide mode actually resizes bigger textures down to 256*256.
Thank you and sorry for this loooooooooooong post!
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

Aydos wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:49 pm :sad: I always have to forget something!

The difficulty adjustment wasn't intended, but I have reverted it back to standard now and uploaded it.
That General.TXT file I normally use in the Meldpack just to bring the ranking down a bit to not skip multiple levels at a time. I forgot to swap it out, but it should be all good now!

Razorback is a new opponent to the game using Tosh's mod with some modifications.

Thanks for checking it out and pointing out the ranking system issue :thumbsup:
Thanks, that solved it. Another thing, can you make the low tier opponents a bit more durrable? It always bothered me in the GoG version, that the low tier opponents seems weaker than in the original Dos version.
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

I noticed an interesting thing. Sometimes certain cars like the Squad Car, or the Heavy Impaler bottom texture just turns to beige.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Strange, i just tested my, and heavy has the under image
TotalCarnage93
pedestrian

Post by TotalCarnage93 »

Hello, I am new here and I have installed the 25th Anniversary mod, everything works but I don't get why when selecting Stig the game crashes or if he is an opponent on the starting position grid when starting a race the game crashes, it seems like his contents are not loaded or were missing in the download file? Anyone able to help please?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

STIGBON.ACT has to be hex-edited to load STIGBON.DAT instead of PORKBON.DAT :techsupport: Not sure that's enough as the materials/pixelmaps wanted by the model aren't preloaded anyway. Seems to work though..!

The only other thing I noticed with STIG is how the lack of perspective correction makes the spikes wobble in software mode. This is first due to persp correction being disabled in the material (duh!) and also the texture not being 64x64/256x256 etc. (I see you set it to 512x514 to avoid the problem in Glide mode)
This is so visible I'm wondering if the perspective<hires trade-of is worth it..! Maybe sticking to 256*256 could be enough in this case? Or then going up to 1024x1024 (perspective correction seem to only work with 4^n sizes).
To restore persp. correct. in the material, look for 10 05 3F 80 within the STGSIKE.MAT chunk and change it to 10 25 3F 80.
D00M wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:24 pmI noticed an interesting thing. Sometimes certain cars like the Squad Car, or the Heavy Impaler bottom texture just turns to beige.
Mmh..! Couldn't reproduce the problem so far. You're playing in Glide mode I see, is that the Steam/GOG release? Did you modify it in any way? Updated nGlide etc?
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

i still got crash with stig bonnet, this time - on grid selection
sadly can't get what the error is - debris.mat wtf?.. why others can launch it
DENYS
pedestrian

Post by DENYS »

Hi,
Could you tell me how to correct perspective on Eagle's and Hawk's blades to get rid of wobbling (95exe).
When I used this mod, I noticed that camera is further from car and all bonets (hoods) are not on correct places even those which used to be, textures are distorted as in PS1. However... Interiors for Countach, Cleaver and Ferrari are impressive even if they are buggy.
Animation are also cool :cool: but I haven't seen lights on the sewer's ceiling yet. It's worth it. If only the developers had done everything right back then. It would be a perfect game :rockon:
One correction
Ferrari used to have a female symbol as far as I remember (not horse like in this mod or Mobile ver.)
And Countach seems to have GT signs on its sides
Maybe the yellow decals on some of the wheels mean Bad Year
Thankyou for your efforts. old people appreciated :smile:
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

Hello everyone,
Sorry for the long time between updates. I decided to take a break from doing this mod as it was consuming most if not all of my free time. Then I had a career change on top of that so it has been difficult to get back into it.

Thank you all for the noted issues above I'll have a look at those for the next update that I do. Speaking of updates I have done some changes all for SP this time.

V.0.3.0:

•Completed checkpoint standardisation (for SP)

•Changed all white chevrons to yellow ones on all races.

•Changed all "Arrows" to yellow chevrons on all "MAGNACHEM ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER" levels and altered the 3 coloured the stone textures to blend better.

•Changed the broken bridge/road yellow arrows to chevron texture on all "CRAGGY ISLE DAM COMPLEX" levels.

•Changed the 50 MPH sign to have "NOT!" spray painted on them (like the C1 intro video) on all "CRAGGY ISLE DAM COMPLEX" levels.

•Removed 2 checkpoints (4 & 7) on "SLAYRIDE" for the checkpoint standardisation.
(There was no easy way around it with my skill set, 2 checkpoints used the same texture assets)

•High-res Carmageddon texture on the devils PC & desk.

•Altered a couple of map checkpoint locations to line up better.

•In the Bonus folder is Tinsel Town files with the checkpoint standardisation and yellow chevrons.

New Loading screen.
Project 1.gif
Project 1.gif (165.27 KiB) Viewed 6095 times

Nasty 64x64 checkpoint texture replaced.
CHECKPOINT.jpg
CHECKPOINT.jpg (500.27 KiB) Viewed 6095 times

Gives it a bit more of a C1 vibe.
Barrier.jpg
Barrier.jpg (163.34 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
more pics below...
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

The arrows looked a bit weird IMO.
EDGE.jpg
EDGE.jpg (372 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
I thought it would be a cool nod to C1. (I actually used the NOT! in the c1 video and applied it here)
Speed Sign.jpg
Speed Sign.jpg (429.41 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
Don't get me started with how stuck on the original textures looked, like WTF is up with that green one!
Island Arrow.jpg
Island Arrow.jpg (441.27 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
More pics again....
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

Tinsel Town
carmageddon-2023-01-01-09_13_57.png
carmageddon-2023-01-01-09_13_57.png (85.01 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
Hopefully everything is bug free for these tweaks. Testing takes up soooo much time! :lol:

I hope to focus on this a little more now

Thank you everyone and happy new year!

(Should I rename the mod now it's 2023? :lol: )
Aydos
mechanic

Re: Carmageddon Revamp Project

Post by Aydos »

Time for another update,

It doesn't seem as big as the some of the other updates but this one took some time to implement. The major focus on this update was to fix all the menus visuals and it's inconsistencies. It took a fair bit of back and forth in testing and finding new things to fix. There are still some small things to fix and tweak but the bulk of it is done. I'll release the menu visuals as a standalone mod so it can be installed for most other mods. I have made a video on what changes are done except for some of the minor ones.

Other items in this update are:
• A few map tweaks.
• Imported Tinsel Town
• Imported the Christmas Eagle
• Added a newly created Christmas Hawk
• Created 5 animated Race Scene's for the menu (4 for C1 & 1 for SP)

I hope to focus on the vehicles more in the next update. I have tweaked a couple of vehicles

Thanks for the feedback, and I hope the name change is fitting :smile: .

Toshiba-3 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:33 pm STIGBON.ACT has to be hex-edited to load STIGBON.DAT instead of PORKBON.DAT :techsupport: Not sure that's enough as the materials/pixelmaps wanted by the model aren't preloaded anyway. Seems to work though..!

The only other thing I noticed with STIG is how the lack of perspective correction makes the spikes wobble in software mode. This is first due to persp correction being disabled in the material (duh!) and also the texture not being 64x64/256x256 etc. (I see you set it to 512x514 to avoid the problem in Glide mode)
This is so visible I'm wondering if the perspective<hires trade-of is worth it..! Maybe sticking to 256*256 could be enough in this case? Or then going up to 1024x1024 (perspective correction seem to only work with 4^n sizes).
To restore persp. correct. in the material, look for 10 05 3F 80 within the STGSIKE.MAT chunk and change it to 10 25 3F 80.
:beer: Thanks for the info on that Tosh, I have Hex-edited it to those values and it works! I'm not sure about if is should downsize the texture for the spikes. Functionality in both modes is best so I'll revisit that for the next update.
DENYS wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:04 pm Ferrari used to have a female symbol as far as I remember (not horse like in this mod or Mobile ver.)
And Countach seems to have GT signs on its sides
Maybe the yellow decals on some of the wheels mean Bad Year
Thankyou for your efforts. old people appreciated :smile:
Hey DENYS, I have tweaked fearrari and countslash. I'd left the GT off the side as it's hard to get a good image of what was there, but they are on there now and I think they fit well. I tried to find a font that would fit with what was there. As for the fearrari I have added the female symbol to the back, I hadn't noticed it before until I had a closer look at the rolling demo, so thanks for pointing it out :thumbsup:

hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

wow nice job with the menus - most of these inconsistencies i hadn't noticed at all until i saw your video - now how can i unsee it :techsupport:
though the vanilla mistakes are some kind of a legacy for me. but hey - nevertheless i'll wait for a standalone pack! :twisted:
i got a child a couple of weeks ago, a girl - and still the game from 1997 when i was a school guy is a whole universe for me, a year of a full duke3d and quake. i believe such games will be forever in hearts for those who grew up amongst'em
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

hazardic wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:48 pm wow nice job with the menus - most of these inconsistencies i hadn't noticed at all until i saw your video - now how can i unsee it :techsupport:
though the vanilla mistakes are some kind of a legacy for me. but hey - nevertheless i'll wait for a standalone pack! :twisted:
i got a child a couple of weeks ago, a girl - and still the game from 1997 when i was a school guy is a whole universe for me, a year of a full duke3d and quake. i believe such games will be forever in hearts for those who grew up amongst'em
Thanks! Yeah I slowly spotted little bits over the years and then once I started it turned into a can of worms (about 100 FLI files so far) :techsupport:. The vanilla definitely has a lot of charm to it, so I didn't want to take too much away.

Congratulations, that's fantastic mate it must be a wonderful feeling! I haven't got any kids yet, but hopefully soon. Yeah that era of games will have special place in mine too. I was fairly young when these games came out, but they have a certain charm and enjoyment that games of the past decade just don't have. I'll will be showing the next generation these classics for sure!
Aydos
mechanic

Post by Aydos »

Just a teaser of what is getting cleaned up currently, just a few tweaks to colours and the alignment and then onto the next one. :sbsmile:

DOSBox 0.74G, Cpu speed_ max 100% cycles, Frameskip  0, Program_     3DFX 31_01_2023 10_07_36 PM.jpg
DOSBox 0.74G, Cpu speed_ max 100% cycles, Frameskip 0, Program_ 3DFX 31_01_2023 10_07_36 PM.jpg (503.55 KiB) Viewed 5875 times
DOSBox 0.74G, Cpu speed_ max 100% cycles, Frameskip  0, Program_     3DFX 31_01_2023 10_08_02 PM.jpg
DOSBox 0.74G, Cpu speed_ max 100% cycles, Frameskip 0, Program_ 3DFX 31_01_2023 10_08_02 PM.jpg (463.72 KiB) Viewed 5875 times
280759-carmageddon-other.jpg
280759-carmageddon-other.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 5875 times

Check who’s online