Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Getting Carmageddon 1 to run on Windows 7 x64?

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
DeeP
pedestrian

Post by DeeP »

Wow.

I haven't played Carmageddon in for-freakin-ever.

I was all over it when it cme out, and even maintained a fan page back in the day...

I want to say thanks for the instructions and links to the components to make Carmageddon1 work. I have it on my laptop, which runs it just fine.
sakss69
pedestrian

Post by sakss69 »

I have gotten as far as downloading nglide and setting resolution. I am lost at the dosbox and everything else after that.

I have opened a command prompt window and tried from there, but does not work that way.

Please help someone who had got a new computer with a lot of old games. I have a system running i7 2.Ghz pentium, OS Windows 7 64 Bit.

I have tried copying the CD to the hard drive and running compatibility mode as Windows 95 - neither works.

A computer numpty
Lenor
driver

Post by Lenor »

CitizenE
pedestrian

Post by CitizenE »

Just got my Carmageddon working, what a game!

Only problem is I can only get it working after installing it through DOSBox, everytime I want to play it I have to install it first. If I dont I just get "Can't find the Carmageddon CD".

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here?

Edit - Ignore! I stopped being an idiot and got it working :D
drrakku11
pedestrian

Post by drrakku11 »

Please tell me how you got it working? I am having the same problem.
AyumiManiac
pedestrian

Post by AyumiManiac »

wow thank you so much everything runs fine :)

but i have a question and i cant manage it myself:

how can i play carmageddon with 3dfx in windowed mode ?

ALT G + ENTER dont worked i can say.

like to have a look on my messenger while i crashing aroud ;)
alexistrak
pedestrian

Post by alexistrak »

Hi guys! :)

I have a problem about the instalation, in the instalation of dosinst.bat (run in dos box) i cant create de directory (c:\GAMES\CARMA) .. MMM i dont understand why... I tryed to runing dos box with administrator permission and not changes...

Thanks.

And sorry about my english.
Hippox77
pedestrian

Post by Hippox77 »

You mean you cannot install the game? Because you could just move the folder after the installion? If you cannot install the game then you might want to try and 'mount c:\' in Dosbox then run the installer (from dosbox) and change the install directory to c:\Carma. You can move it afterward. This solved my issuses installing it, anyhow.
shikhar
pedestrian

Post by shikhar »

alexistrak wrote:Hi guys! :)

I have a problem about the instalation, in the instalation of dosinst.bat (run in dos box) i cant create de directory (c:\GAMES\CARMA) .. MMM i dont understand why... I tryed to runing dos box with administrator permission and not changes...

Thanks.

And sorry about my english.

i am facing the same problem as alexistrak.. when i run dosinst, it says that the directory cannot be created, please try again. i have tried changing the mounting drives for both interplay and the .iso file, but to no use. Could you tell me what I am doing wrong? thanks!
Hippox77
pedestrian

Post by Hippox77 »

Maybe read my comment about the issue above? :) You need to mount your main Windows drive, as stated. Dosbox will warn you about doing so, but simply ignore that. You should then install to the root of the drive, eg. c:\Carma. Just move the folder after the install. This does solve this issue. It did in my case, anyhow.

As a example:

Mount I I:\

then

Mount C C:\

I:

then launch the installer

Choose C:\Carma as the directory

then install

You obviously need to change the ID letters, for the drives, to the ones that matches your drives.
Mad Max
hit n run

Post by Mad Max »

I use this version http://carmageddon.forumfree.it/?t=49158792 its remastered for the modern systems so it works without any problem. Start it from the .bat file and you are on the highway to hell ;)
ix
mechanic

Post by ix »

it looks like that uses carma95 so it's similar to the ddraw dll. Which is fine, but the graphics aren't as good as 3dfx.

I do wonder whether it would be possible for Stainless to compile the 3dfx.exe as a 32 bit application. It's probably not that simple though as all the dos dependencies would be 16bit. Hmm. It would be interesting if they released the source code though, people could perhaps play around with it!
pageygeeza
pedestrian

Post by pageygeeza »

Followed oNeiRoS's guide! Worked an absolute treat! No fuss running now, double click to start and once I've finished with it exits. And It runs REALLY well on my lappy, looks better than I remember. :D
Tetsuryu
pedestrian

Post by Tetsuryu »

Finally, at long last, I got the bloody thing running, dosbox and glide and all!

Only problem is...well, actually I have quite a few problems, namely

1) the game is really choppy with CD music playing,

2) there's still some rendering issues, like I can't see anything from the interior view on certain cars on certain maps
jack12829
pedestrian

Post by jack12829 »

hi i am confuesed where is the root file and how do you create a .batfile? this is really hard.
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Maybe you shouldn't try something like this without first grasping the basics. Also, this is Carma talk, not tech talk, so you could Google about it.

But oh well. The root folder is where your game is installed. To create a bat file, open Notepad, type the text you want, then go to File->Save. On the save dialog, choose "any type" as the file type, and when you write the file's name, make sure to add a ".bat" at the end of it.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

Espyo man lightn up on the dude hes just trying to understand some people just dont understand how to make things or change the way you can make a file ie txt to bat png to jpg and the like you just have to let it go and move on. but im glad you keept your head about explaning what to do about making a batch file :P
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

It's just that... it's really basic... And I wasn't mad, nor trying to be offensive. If anything, I was just trying to make their life easier by saying that if it's really a confusing thing, it's just easier to give up on the idea. Not everyone was born to work with dem dere computers.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
nesrulz
pedestrian

Post by nesrulz »

Hi,

I use nGlide (v1.00), DOSBoxcvs v0.73 (gulikoza - "dosboxcvs-090704.zip"), and 3Dfx Carmageddon (http://atombomb.no-ip.org/blog/downloads/3DfxCarm.zip) work fine @ W7 x64.

But, I have a problem that bothers me...

Mirrors and reflections on the windows do not work sometimes.

Example:

On the first race/track is ok but not on the next race/track/level...

Any suggestions?

Carma rulz! ;)
nesrulz
pedestrian

Post by nesrulz »

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/18741

I think I found the solution.

Make sure to download the Voodoo 2 Alpha patch to restore some missing graphical features (Missing models in the damage gallery, the mini-view in map mode "tab" and the PratCam in cockpit mode "c".)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

What do you mean by "they don't work sometimes"?

If you are refering to the levels where the windows appear plain black or grey, then it's normal (track is setup this way) :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
nesrulz
pedestrian

Post by nesrulz »

OK, thx. :)
0takumetalhead
driver

Post by 0takumetalhead »

Used the fix posted on the first page, after dosbox kept lagging in hires mode (worked fine without the hires switch). Can finally play it on my laptop without isseus in hires.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Make use of the CARM95.EXE and -hires mode, don't forget to get the cnc-ddraw mod!
0takumetalhead
driver

Post by 0takumetalhead »

Breakin'Benny wrote:Make use of the CARM95.EXE and -hires mode, don't forget to get the cnc-ddraw mod!
Tried it right after, can't play it full screen but when i use the .bat fix the game is more unstable and freezes my whole laptop.

One question though, what number of fps is the best to use?
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

0takumetalhead wrote:One question though, what number of fps is the best to use?

I went with 25, that's probably a decent FPS limit to prevent the timer from going fast. Anything below it is fine too, but pick anything as long as it doesn't go above my suggested value

Also, you can set it to be fullscreen if you set "windowed" to false, but you better also make the resolution the same as the one your monitor supports (my monitor supports 1680x1050, so I use that). Though, if you're looking for cheats at the same time as playing I say it's OK to have Window mode enabled and the resolution to 1024x768

NOTE: The value to the left of the "x" is the width, while the value on the right is the height.

PS: I write the instructions clearly, so even a mentally disordered or "disabilitied" dummy can understand how to do it
0takumetalhead
driver

Post by 0takumetalhead »

Won't run at all in full screen, issue with windows. Keeping it windowed works fine so I won't complain. Thanks for the help.
shreducator
pedestrian

Post by shreducator »

I have followed all these instructions and have run into a dead end and would really appreciate some assistance.

I got the game to successfully install; I have the cd mounted (however my copy of Carmageddon came from xxxxxx) seeing as I've misplaced my copy, and whenever I go to run the game I am presented with "Can't find the Carmageddon CD".

Here is a copy of my DOSBox window:

Z:\>SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 T6

Z:\>SET GLIDE=600

Z:\>mount C interplay

Drive C is mounted as local directory interplay\

Z:\>imgmount K "C:\Games\Carma\Carmageddon1.iso" -t iso

MSCDEX installed

Drive K is mounted as C:\Games\Carma\Carmageddon1.iso

Z:\>c:

C:\>cd games

C:\GAMES>cd carma

C:\GAMES\CARMA>3Dfx.exe

Illegal command: 3Dfx.exe

C:\GAMES\CARMA>K:

K:\>carma

DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time Version 1.97

Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994

Can't find the Carmageddon CD

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT* Removed link - Reason: Posting malicious links (including links to pirated software)
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

I C what you did there Shredder, you need to have mounted Carmageddon in the same drive you installed from.

Too lazy to fix that? GOG can help you (if you can't fix the problem yourself)!

For example: If I installed from virtual drive D:, I need to mount the image on that drive
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I second the GOG idea.

But I guess you could also simply crack the game and then do without any need of cd/cd-image.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Alas, the image mounting and cracking is irritating. But I'm more into CARM95.EXE being included (I feel for LGR about his copy from Interplay, why couldn't he have that, too? Do we Europeans have things against USA? Yes, some things)
shreducator
pedestrian

Post by shreducator »

Thanks for the help, but alas I was unable to get it to work despite your advice. I even tried to no-cd crack but that also led me to a dead end. GOG it is I guess!
cr4zyjay
hit n run

Post by cr4zyjay »

i can confirm the GOG release does work very well, win 7 x64.

both splat pack and the original are fine. i recommend playing the hardware modes (you`ll see the shortcuts).

1 thing though, i did have nglide installed prior to installing GOG versions because i was trying to dick around with getting carma 2 working (i have the original 1998 release on disc).

i uninstalled nglide because i didnt think i needed it anymore since i dont have carma 2 installed at moment and GOG carma versions work fine, but doing that somehow broke all the GOG versions from working at all. reinstalling nglide fixed it, so im now with it working so long as nglide is on the pc.

just a heads up if it for some reason does not work, install nglide and it probably will work - but of course im not guaranteeing you.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Perhaps you want to try the Win95 thingy, Jaysun? It doesn't support 3DFX Glide mode, but works fine even with OpenGL

NOTE: Requires the cnc-ddraw mod to work perfectly!
cr4zyjay
hit n run

Post by cr4zyjay »

Breakin'Benny wrote:Perhaps you want to try the Win95 thingy, Jaysun? It doesn't support 3DFX Glide mode, but works fine even with OpenGL

NOTE: Requires the cnc-ddraw mod to work perfectly!
i`ll try that, thanks.

why do you keep calling me jaysun?

Check who’s online