Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 1 debugging symbols dumped!

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

In the Carmageddon Splat Pack folder, there is a file called ‘DETHRSC.SYM’, last modified 13th November 1997.

It has sat there, un-noticed and un-loved for the last 17 years, ignored by the internet....

More info - http://1amstudios.com/2014/12/02/carma1-symbols-dumped/

An example of some of the symbols:

pedestrn: MakeFlagWavingBastardWaveHisFlagWhichIsTheProbablyTheLastThingHeWillEverDo()
globvars: _gSausage_override
opponent: ClearTwattageOccurrenceVariables()
opponent: _gNumber_of_cops_before_faffage
pedestrn: _gReally_stupid_ped_bug_enable
racestrt: DrawSceneyMappyInfoVieweyThing()
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Awesome stuff Jeff! Those names make me laugh every time I read them. I'm sure similar naming is probably happening in Carmageddon: Reincarnation, mostly from Batwick!
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Wow, interesting find! Also, where were you for two years? OpenC1 sure hasn't gotten any development since January, we considered it "discontinued on Carmageddon Wiki.
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

Breakin'Benny wrote:Wow, interesting find! Also, where were you for two years? OpenC1 sure hasn't gotten any development since January, we considered it "discontinued on Carmageddon Wiki.
It probably had something to do with Square Enix threatening to sue him when Stainless didn't own the rights to Carma back in 2011.
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

This thread was created just a few minutes before this one! I'm not even sure if I should lock this one in favor of the first one. You know, to keep the conversation in a single topic.

That said, those were debugging symbols? For me, it's a bit hard to imagine debugging tools existing back in '97, stupid as that sounds!
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Breakin'Benny wrote:Wow, interesting find! Also, where were you for two years? OpenC1 sure hasn't gotten any development since January, we considered it "discontinued on Carmageddon Wiki.
Apart from getting married, moving from New Zealand to San Francisco and having a daughter you mean? :)

The legal troubles are behind us, since the good folks here at Stainless own the rights to Carma and not Square Enix anymore. But there are a couple of reasons I'm not actively working on OpenC1:

- I implemented (to varying degrees of successfulness) almost all the major engine features, so I feel like I've learned as much from the project as I'm going to already

- Part of why Carma1 has been so enduring is its physics, and the PhysX-powered physics in OpenC1 (although I spent countless hours on it), will never be exactly the same

- The Stainless port of Carma1 to IOS means anyone can play the original game anyway. Although I have a feeling it is the old models and textures on an updated engine, as the physics aren't the same as the original game either...!

- XNA (the framework it was built on) has been retired by Microsoft, so it needs to be ported to Monogame at least.

- Back when I first started, multi-platform wasn't a thing people were really considering, so its a windows-only game. These days I'd make sure it runs on at least OSX and Windows, and would probably have just written it in c++ for portability.

The code is up on github though for anyone interested in tackling it: https://github.com/jeff-1amstudios/OpenC1/
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Wow, he was quick! I wrote the original blog post and posted to reddit before deciding to post here aswell!
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

I presume that's a reasonable... reason, to not continue work with OpenC1. We all could as well just get those Carmageddon Funsize thingies used in a total conversion to Reincarnation, minus the pedestrian sprites.

Check who’s online