Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

DirectDraw Error

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
ChrizzFTW
pedestrian

DirectDraw Error

Post by ChrizzFTW »

Hey,

I finally found Carmageddon 1 (this game was my whole childhood :D) again and tried to run it on Windows 7. But everytime, I start the game, the following error message appears:

"Carmageddon Fatal Error: Unable to set up DirectDraw - please check that DirectX is installed."

Of course, DirectX is installed (newest version). :P

Any suggestions?
Trent
mindless

DirectDraw Error

Post by Trent »

You posted in the wrong section, this is technical support for Carmageddon: Reincarnation, not the original game. You'd probably best put this thread in the Carmageddon 1 forum of the games section (near the bottom of the forum index).
a.k.a. Brent
ChrizzFTW
pedestrian

DirectDraw Error

Post by ChrizzFTW »

Whoops, my mistake. Hope this is the right section, now. :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DirectDraw Error

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hi Chrizz, have you tried the modified ddraw.dll? You can download it there: http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/#download

Just place it in the same folder as the executable, run Carma95 once then you can modify the generated ddraw.ini file (according to the previous link configuration section)

If this doesn't solve your issue, tell us more about your version (GOG, meld pack, etc.) and if you tried the 3DFX mode via DosBox.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
ChrizzFTW
pedestrian

DirectDraw Error

Post by ChrizzFTW »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Hi Chrizz, have you tried the modified ddraw.dll? You can download it there: http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/#download

Just place it in the same folder as the executable, run Carma95 once then you can modify the generated ddraw.ini file (according to the previous link configuration section)

If this doesn't solve your issue, tell us more about your version (GOG, meld pack, etc.) and if you tried the 3DFX mode via DosBox.

Works! Thank you!
simran preet
pedestrian

DirectDraw Error

Post by simran preet »

Hey,

Same problem arise with me, I have copied the file ddraw.dll in the folder and the game started..

But!! the size of the window is very small.. how to make it to full sized window???

Please respond..

Thanks...
miniz1994
pedestrian

DirectDraw Error

Post by miniz1994 »

In the ddraw config DDRAW.ini for me here (opens with notepad fine) you should have windowed=false to get full screen, also make sure to put on 32 bit textures or 16 bit textures depending on what you want there as well.

ofc you can add in a higher resolution there as well (not sure if the game takes that into account but worth a try.)

Check who’s online