Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon Max Pack (Steam) 15-30 fps.

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Rainbow Slash
mechanic

Post by Rainbow Slash »

Running the game in 3DFX causes the game to drop to 30 fps, at times even 15, the best I've gotten it is at 50. I've used an FPS counter and my PC is obviously well above specs to run this, any advice on how to fix the low fps would be appreciated, thanks!

http://imgur.com/C0vRgOf

http://imgur.com/sLf4J8q

http://imgur.com/qTp5UCF

http://imgur.com/EtRgjak
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

I'd suggest using the CARM95 things, to play natively in Windows mode. Also, make use of cnc-ddraw.
Kailen
pedestrian

Post by Kailen »

I'm sure this is obvious, but...

Do you get the 3DFX logo when you go into the 3DFX version? If not, you're not getting hardware acceleration, and your CPU is doing all the rendering still. If you look at the .config files, down at the bottom there's a [glide]category. Make sure it has "glide=true" to get hardware acceleration. Has to be done for both the carma and splat pack configs.

Either browse to the proper folder, or right click the game in the Steam menu, go to Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files.

(Going to the DOXBOX folder and running nglide_config from there is a good idea too to set up your 3DFX settings.)
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Post by ManIkWeet »

There's a CPU limit going on here, lowering graphics settings in the game helps, also not using cockpit mode helps alot (doubles FPS)

My i7 @ 4.2GHz doesn't run a straight 60fps either, it's only using a single core :(

My graphics card is going like this: meh I can run this when I clock down to 1MHz... :P
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You could also try replacing nGlide with dgVoodoo 1 or 2. And honestly the DOSBOX setup might need tweaking to take the best advantage of your computer etc.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Post by ManIkWeet »

Toshiba-3 wrote:You could also try replacing nGlide with dgVoodoo 1 or 2. And honestly the DOSBOX setup might need tweaking to take the best advantage of your computer etc.

Tried that, doesn't seem to be a better performance than nGlide...

Though dgVoodoo 1 did manage to get more FPS in the menu screens...
Southpark2010
hit n run

Post by Southpark2010 »

ManIkWeet wrote:also not using cockpit mode helps alot (doubles FPS)

Press 'M' to turn off the mirror, that's what affects the performance (at least for me).
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Post by ManIkWeet »

Southpark2010 wrote:
ManIkWeet wrote:also not using cockpit mode helps alot (doubles FPS)

Press 'M' to turn off the mirror, that's what affects the performance (at least for me).

Did not know that, thanks!

I know I know, I should've looked at the controlls maybe...

Check who’s online