Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma GoG win95/3dfx any resolution (no black bars)

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Lenor
driver

Post by Lenor »

win95

Download and install the windows 95 patch from http://www.gog.com/en/forum/carmageddon/experimental_windows_95_patch/page1

Download ddraw.dll from http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/#download and copy it in the same folder as carm95.exe

Open ddraw.ini and change the resolution to your liking

Play the game using carm95.exe

Personally I use win95 and it works like a charm.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

3dfx

Follow this guide: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/carmageddon/carmageddon_hq_how_to/page1
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The Windows patch is already made of hifi's wrappers.

Why would you overwrite them by themselve? If anything the ones from hifi's site are older than the patch.

If anything, just edit the existing ddraw.ini.

And no offense to you but that 3DFX guide is stupid :/ nGlide is what the GOG release uses already for the hardware mode. To run the 3DFX mode you just have to run the hardware shortcut from the start menu.

There's no need for any guide, just use the supplied shortcuts, or install the Windows patch if both fail.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Lenor
driver

Post by Lenor »

The Windows patch is already made of hifi's wrappers.

Why would you overwrite them by themselve? If anything the ones from hifi's site are older than the patch.

If anything, just edit the existing ddraw.ini.
With the supplied dll I get a crash if I change the resolution.

And no offense to you but that 3DFX guide is stupid :/ nGlide is what the GOG release uses already for the hardware mode. To run the 3DFX mode you just have to run the hardware shortcut from the start menu.

There's no need for any guide, just use the supplied shortcuts, or install the Windows patch if both fail.

The hardware mode has frame rate issues for me and possibly for other people and also you can't get rid of the black bars or I don't seem to find a way.

If the game works fine without these guides then cool, I just posted them for those who had the same issues as me.

Didn't mean to upset anybody.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Black bars in hardware mode? (btw hardware mode=3dfx)

You tried hitting + or - to get rid of said bars (in case they come from reduced rendering view)?

And no you're no upsetting anyone obviously.

But I find it important not to confuse casual gamers with these guides and all while all they need is already provided by the GOG release.
Lenor
driver

Post by Lenor »

You have the black bars on a widescreen monitor even in hardware mode.

And like I said, the original win95 dll didn't allow me to change the resolution.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Lenor wrote:You have the black bars on a widescreen monitor even in hardware mode.

No I haven't. Thank you :/

Do you have another format than 16/9?

1920*1080 with the GOG release unmodified.
Lenor
driver

Post by Lenor »

Well, it didn't work for me otherwise I wouldn't try all this crazy shit.

1366x768 on a laptop
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

guys guys guys please.....

If you can get the game to run in window mode why does it matter.

Lenor btw laptops are generally document makers unless its a new'er style machine.

im wide screen and i ran fine fullscreen and whatnot but it looks more horrid since my eyes dont like the extra effect.

however the window mode you can get the game to run in should be fine. as for the black lines like the other dude said + or - should resize the in game screen to maximize the screen.

The top of the post is what this should be about and bickering isnt helping yea
Wotal_Tanker
pedestrian

Post by Wotal_Tanker »

Toshiba-3 wrote:
Lenor wrote:You have the black bars on a widescreen monitor even in hardware mode.

No I haven't. Thank you :/

Do you have another format than 16/9?

1920*1080 with the GOG release unmodified.

Hi, on my system the "hardware mode" shortcut doesnt automatically start in 1920x1080. Do you know of a way to set it through the command line or any other way to do it? Thanks.

The Win95 mode works for me in 1920x1080 but it hasnt got the same quality as the hardware mode image you showed.
Scorg
pedestrian

Post by Scorg »

Mines keeps defaulting to 640*480 in hardware mode even though it is set to 1650-1050 within the dosbox configurator
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Wotal_Tanker; Scrog: I'm afraid you'll have to try this 3DFX guide Lenor linked to in his first post here.
cr4zyjay
hit n run

Post by cr4zyjay »

dunno. i don't have any black bars in hardware mode. i only play splat pak i havent even run the original mode of the game.

i set my res on the graphic mode setup for splak pack as the following:

basic settings = full screen

graphic mode = surface

advanced settings = keep aspect ratio, scalling engine = normal2x, windows res = my native res 1360x768

just works perfectly for me at least with no black bars. i find the black bars only on the non hardware mode

i do however, have nglide installed, all due to trying to get non GOG versions of this game to work and never got round to uninstalling it. MAYBE... that's a contributing factor. dunno. try my settings and see if it helps.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

cr4zyjay wrote:dunno. i don't have any black bars in hardware mode. i only play splat pak i havent even run the original mode of the game.

i set my res on the graphic mode setup for splak pack as the following:

basic settings = full screen

graphic mode = surface

advanced settings = keep aspect ratio, scalling engine = normal2x, windows res = my native res 1360x768

just works perfectly for me at least with no black bars. i find the black bars only on the non hardware mode

i do however, have nglide installed, all due to trying to get non GOG versions of this game to work and never got round to uninstalling it. MAYBE... that's a contributing factor. dunno. try my settings and see if it helps.

what you have on Scalling Engine ?

Also Im having error dosbox emulator stopped working once It launches... so FUCK
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

my carmageddon looks like this

no matter what I set up... except for OpenGL when I setup openGL I get blackscreen...*I forgot to finish my sentence---that is strong tea...*
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

That is actually an in-game setting. I can't remember for sure what key you press, and I blame different keyboard layouts for that. Personally, I have to press the two keys to the left of the backspace, which correspond to ' and « for me. Anyway, press them, press all keys on the keyboard, or check the options screen. There is a key that increases the screen size.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

Espyo wrote:That is actually an in-game setting. I can't remember for sure what key you press, and I blame different keyboard layouts for that. Personally, I have to press the two keys to the left of the backspace, which correspond to ' and « for me. Anyway, press them, press all keys on the keyboard, or check the options screen. There is a key that increases the screen size.
well the size was least of my problem... the pixelized non 3dfx 320x200 was my issue...

however It is solved... if anyone else is ever getting his ass kicked by gog version ... launch THRU STARTMENU the carmageddon(hardware) once you install latest nGlide...
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

that screen thing is to do with + and - keys i believe that game setting that is trying to be worked out is do make the screen full screen while the game is running full screen :P
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

lemonrev wrote:that screen thing is to do with + and - keys i believe that game setting that is trying to be worked out is do make the screen full screen while the game is running full screen :P
Yep, as lemonrev says, use the + and - keys to increase the gameplay screen size.
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

shane wrote:
lemonrev wrote:that screen thing is to do with + and - keys i believe that game setting that is trying to be worked out is do make the screen full screen while the game is running full screen :P

Yep, as lemonrev says, use the + and - keys to increase the gameplay screen size.

Yes I mean no =D +- doesn't work, however, I dont care about screen resolution, that I know how to set up in dosbox configurator more or less... I wanted to present the lack of 3dfx on my game...

HOWEVER it is solved... the solution I was looking for all along was:

Download latest nGlide, launch game from windows start menu, by launching the "Carmageddon(hardware)"

Because Dosbox either works, but it is ugly or if set snything better to see 3dfx it dosbox crashes... so fuck that and with that fuck the default shortcuts created on desktop after installation...

It was paifull... but now it works... and it runs as jerky as it did back in 96-7 on my 486 =D good god...
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

The download link is gone now, what the fuck could've happened? Should the GOG stuff be updated to ship with the CARM95 stuff now?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

If you're talking about the CARM95 patch for the GOG release, it is still available:
http://items.gog.com/winpatch_carmageddon_maxpack.exe

Forum discussion at GOG:
http://www.gog.com/forum/carmageddon_series/experimental_windows_95_patch/page1
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Toshiba-3 wrote:If you're talking about the CARM95 patch for the GOG release, it is still available:
http://items.gog.com/winpatch_carmageddon_maxpack.exe

Forum discussion at GOG:
http://www.gog.com/forum/carmageddon_series/experimental_windows_95_patch/page1

If I have to be honest, wouldn't it be easier to just have the CARM95 stuff shipped with the GOG install?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

In our eyes, ofcourse. But not for GOG: Carma95 isn't 100% stable for all users, so they can't really support it as a primary way to play the game.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Toshiba-3 wrote:In our eyes, ofcourse. But not for GOG: Carma95 isn't 100% stable for all users, so they can't really support it as a primary way to play the game.

Then these people could use Hires (SVGA) mode and the cnc-ddraw mod, for presumably good reasons.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Benny, the win95 patch is already svga+cnc-ddraw mod. Apparently it's the ddraw mod that has a little issue with some ATi drivers or something similar.
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Benny, the win95 patch is already svga+cnc-ddraw mod. Apparently it's the ddraw mod that has a little issue with some ATi drivers or something similar.

It does flicker a little for me, though I doubt it's because of my NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460 card (It could be anything!). I have to wonder when the next version of this cnc-ddraw thing'd come, probably never, with possibly support for Carmageddon 2 so people don't have to use Glide wrappers for the sake of resolution..., like me.

Check who’s online