Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Sound effect problem

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
70's Viking
hit n run

Sound effect problem

Post by 70's Viking »

Hello,

I searched but could not find anything.

When i try to replace sound effects, they get distorted or the game crashes.
Weird thing is, a few years ago i could replace all the effects i wanted and have no problem.

Does someone know what might be the problem, or maybe a solution to get the effects right?
And does someone else have this problem aswell?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Sound effect problem

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I guess there's a specific format to stick to when you create the WAV file. They all seem to be in mono, unsigned 8bit PCM Wave format. Most are 16000Hz and 128kbps, some have different sampling rate.

I doubt the distortion could come from the text chunk as there's usualy no reason to fiddle with the parameters beside the min/max volume.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

QTZ wrote:I'm exporting sounds using Audacity export option (unfortunately it doesn't support this format in editor). First thing is to convert to mono, second is to set correct parameters and export to wav.

- Convert to mono - menu: Tracks -> Stereo Track To Mono
- Or if you want to use one channel, just drop one track - click on track name (default it is "Audio Track") in the left top corner of the wave preview (just after "X") and select "Split Stereo To Mono", then press "X" on unwanted track.
- set Project Rate (bottom left corner) to 16000 (It can be set elsewhere, but I have noticed no effect, so I set it just here)
- then export - menu: File -> Export, enter 8dot3 format filename, in save as format select: "Other uncompressed format", then click "Options..." select: "WAW (Microsoft)" and "Unsigned 8 bit PCM", click "OK", then "Save". For "Edit Metadata" click "Clear" and "OK".

Note: other problem with Audacity is that it have dither enabled by default - it change the wave output each time during edition (in such random looking way), so I prefer to turn this off - menu: Edit -> Preferences -> Quality, set High-quality Conversion - Dither to "None" (source).

That's it.

File opened in VLC (press pause, then go to menu: Tools -> Codec Information) should have such parameters:
Type: Audio
Codec: PCM U8 (u8 )
Channels: Mono
Sample Rate: 16000 Hz
Bits per sample: 8

Thanks to Krótki for helping me with the Audacity split to mono and for the dithering option.
Parameters are now like as in the quote, as soon as the first millisecond of the new soundeffects are about to be heard, the game just quits on its own.
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

I think my problem fit in this topic.

So, I dowloaded the Updated C1 Engine Sounds fix, and the game sounds just went... crazy. I use the GOG version of Max Pack. (2.0.0.63.) I already de-crypted the game, before I used this mod, so I think the problem lies elsewhere.
Lince DJ
driver

Post by Lince DJ »

Hi D00M!
Your GOG Max Pack needs Dos Box for play?
Or is the dos classic version for play?
I dont try it at the moment, sorry.

Maybe by Dos Box have conflict with the modded sound, its possible.

Try reinstall the backup sound (or the game if you need), make a backup (always before modding/change anything), and replace one fix or both and test if run ok or some wrong happen.
PD: maybe dont need to decrypt/encrypt the game.

The Dos version for me are the most friendly with changes.
But all versions needs to run fine! Share your results.
D00M
mechanic

Post by D00M »

I reinstalled the whole game, no decryption this time, but the problem still there. GoG version use DosBox (v 0.74) with nGlide wrapper (1.02).

I also checked my dosboxCARMA.conf:
► Show Spoiler

Check who’s online